It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take your stupid phones and ear buds and shove them!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

What really gets me is when you go to parties or like family gatherings, and everyone is pretty much standing there or sitting there, with their head down, scrolling, scrolling and scrolling.

I think smart phones are wonderful technology.

But I also wonder if the human race was ready for it. We act so damn addicted to these devices.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I'm sorry but this thread made me think of the Rick and Morty Christmas episode where Jerry tries to get everyone to get off their phones and have a family Christmas. And then funny hi jinks ensue when Jerry's parents come to visit with their new "friend".
Anatomy Park

In any case OP. Welcome to the 21st century. Don't like it? Too bad, or buy an Apple product. Apparently they are waging war on auxiliary jacks.
edit on 13-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

An angle over 90 degrees

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
My son was hit while riding his bike by a driver who was busy looking at her phone. Nearly killed an eight-year-old child.

There's a time and place for everything....while you are driving is neither the time nor the place to be staring at a cell phone.

I gotta go find another thread to read before I climb up on my soapbox....lol. This is a subject I care about a great deal and I can rant about it all day...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So, you're saying the 21st century should be about everyone staring at these screens for extended periods? Forgetting how to physically interact with each other?

Forget about actual physical activities that involve a bit more than moving a thumb up and down?

You weren't a Couch Potato advocate back in the 20th century were you? You know, saying it's okay for everyone to spend just about every waking moment glued to their TVs ?

Phones and Tablets in the 21st century isn't progress......they are addictions. Too many do not know how to put them down, or how to live without them.

I often wonder how many young people of today's world (1st world countries of course), know how to use an actual map? A compass? Actually having to look someone in the face and deal with real social interaction?

What smartphones and tablets remind me of: Wireheads

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

My phone is mostly for work. I would LOVE it if I could make the same income without having it at the ready ask the time. I don't, however, allow it to interrupt time with my family, and if I must take a call when interacting with others, I excuse myself, walk away, have the conversation and put it away.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth

How many of you have the balls to tell someone in your proximity to get the hell off their phones and pay attention? I have and will, anytime they pull this crap on me. In line behind me or in front of me, you will know I exist, you stupid jerks. If I could pull over every idiot driving with their phones in their hands or even using a bluetooth, I would and believe me they would not want that.

Next time you are standing in line behind someone talking on their phone while the cashier is trying to expedite the transaction, act like you are talking on your own invisible phone REALLY LOUD! The cashier will love you and the arrogant prick holding things up will get the message LOUD and CLEAR!

Just say, "YEA, I AM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME HEARING YOU, BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE IS HOLDING UP THE LINE TALKING ON THEIR CELL PHONE!".....

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerminalVelocity

So, you're saying the 21st century should be about everyone staring at these screens for extended periods? Forgetting how to physically interact with each other?

I'm saying that that is the new normal. There isn't going back to a day before all these handheld gadgets existed minus a global EMP destroying all technology on the planet.

Forget about actual physical activities that involve a bit more than moving a thumb up and down?

You weren't a Couch Potato advocate back in the 20th century were you? You know, saying it's okay for everyone to spend just about every waking moment glued to their TVs ?

Phones and Tablets in the 21st century isn't progress......they are addictions. Too many do not know how to put them down, or how to live without them.

I often wonder how many young people of today's world (1st world countries of course), know how to use an actual map? A compass? Actually having to look someone in the face and deal with real social interaction?

What smartphones and tablets remind me of: Wireheads

That's your opinion and you don't have to own a cell phone if you don't want one, but society doesn't care and has deemed that cell phones are part of our lives now. It's best to stop resisting and come up with ways to deal with it. It's not like we got rid of televisions in the 90's after all those complaints about watching tv all the time or anything.

Humans are just going through a communication revolution. It's not the end of the world or anything.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

These people who ignore common sense and local ordinances by using the devices while driving are the same people who think it is OK to let their dogs off the leash in areas that are clearly marked DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH and refuse to clean up after the dogs when there are free waste bags provided and more signs stating PLEASE SCOOP!

Apparently, the rules don't apply to some people.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The problem is when that EMP happens. Not "if". One day it will happen.

When it does happen, humanity's dependency on electronics being the way it is right now will be an utter disaster.

I'm not saying we should get rid of them. Technology is progress in many ways.

However, what your posts seem to advocate is: it's fine for everyone to live in a small bubble that only includes their smartphone or tablet screen, instead of being active in physically interacting with the world around them.

There shouldn't be a reason why we can't have both. Unfortunately the trend right now is to have one's head bent over and ignoring the world around them.

I have a tablet, that's how I'm communicating now. But after a while it gets put down so I can do other things, actual physical activity and actually do things with friends and family.

You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that it's perfectly fine for people to put blinders on and keep their faces shoved into these screens all the time.

That's not progress. It's addiction, and people that suffer addiction tend to deny it.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerminalVelocity

The problem is when that EMP happens. Not "if". One day it will happen.

When it does happen, humanity's dependency on electronics being the way it is right now will be an utter disaster.

I'm not saying we should get rid of them. Technology is progress in many ways.

However, what your posts seem to advocate is: it's fine for everyone to live in a small bubble that only includes their smartphone or tablet screen, instead of being active in physically interacting with the world around them.

There shouldn't be a reason why we can't have both. Unfortunately the trend right now is to have one's head bent over and ignoring the world around them.

I have a tablet, that's how I'm communicating now. But after a while it gets put down so I can do other things, actual physical activity and actually do things with friends and family.

You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that it's perfectly fine for people to put blinders on and keep their faces shoved into these screens all the time.

That's not progress. It's addiction, and people that suffer addiction tend to deny it.

Fantastic you are pointing out things that everyone can do. It's not like everyone but you sits on their phones 24/7. Sure some do, but you know damn well that most aren't like that. Plus many times when you are seeing someone being inconsiderate it is also possible that most of the time they ARE considerate but you are just catching them at a bad/hypocritical moment. Again that isn't the end of the world. It's just your perception skewing things slightly.

Did you know that studies are starting to come out that are starting to show how text speak can lead to better grammar/spelling?
Can Texting Help With Spelling?

PS: A world spanning EMP is currently impossible. EMP's don't work like they do in the movies and aren't deployable with just a press of a button.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: jokei

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
a reply to: intrptr
I have a phone. Never turned on. Only for emergencies.

What if your wife has an emergency and needs to contact you when you're out the house?

That's an interesting statement. I know this is impossible to contemplate, but at one time in the deep past of our history there was no such thing as a cell phone or a smart phone. It was the same time that you actually really did "roll up" the windows in your cars. I don't know when critical mass was achieved and suddenly everyone had a phone, but I'm guessing it was less than twenty years ago, and the first ones were just phones. No smart to them" No texting. No pictures. I'm like intrptr myself. I have a phone and never turn it on unless it's pre-arranged. No one has the "right" to get ahold of me any time they want.

I also get it that people don't like phones used by other people in situations considered rude or dangerous. If YOU are negatively affected or put in danger and peril because of these people, then you have every right to rant on about it because it affects you directly. Absent your personal peril, though, people have the right to use their phones without asking you if it's okay. If you're in line with someone behind you using their phone and it bothers you, get over yourself. It's really none of your damn business.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i have an old school cell phone that i use about once a week to communicate with my wife with. But yeah, I can't walk across a parking lot without having to navigate around at least 4 people who are walking obliviously with their heads down while texting.

I concur with OP.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So rude and obnoxious. I told her from now on, if a customer is on their damn phone or has earbuds in, to ignore them and go to the next customer that is not behaving as they are the only thing important in the world.

Perhaps customer service is not the right career choice, in that case. Any establishment that employs customer service representatives of any kind will tell those employees that when that customer is in front of them, they are the most important thing in the world. Stooping to their level of rudeness and deliberately skipping over them because you personally think they should spend less time on their devices than you assume they do, and advising anyone to behave that way at their place of employment is a great way to talk a person into losing his or her job.

Customer service is just that. Your job is to serve the customers. Not the other way around. You treat the customer like royalty...even if they are nasty and rude. Know why? They are the reason that you are able to collect a paycheck from said employer in the first place. Money is money, and rude people who talk on the phone instead of pandering to the people who are paid to serve them spend plenty of it too.

Got a problem? Take it to management. They're management because they weren't dumb enough to mistreat their customers and attempt to punish them for simply having a phone conversation or listening to music while they spend their money in a place of business. They know the value of the phrase, "The customer is always right". Because if they're not, they'll go to the next business who says that they are, no matter what.

Don't like it? Start your own business and make your own rules for what personal devices people bring into your store that you don't pay their bills for every month. Put a sign out front in big, bold print, once it's your livelihood and legality, and not that of someone else...and good luck staying in business for very long.

Treating your employer's customer base rudely is a great, quick method to finding yourself jobless...which is upheld by employment law. Especially around this silly time of year, when people tend to feel a special sense of entitlement and intellectual superiority as they're sneering down at others for some perceived slight. Much like the tone of your rant, actually.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
welcome to the 21st century gramps.

i can balance my check book, pay bills, get customer updates, pay for an over-priced coffee, get my daily dose of fake news on ATS,my ups store package trackings, and watch the latest vine clips of puppies vs cats doing crazy stuff... and i still have a 2 minute walk to my terminal where i show my pass on my phone to board my flight.

todays phones are not luxury items, they're necessities. not just communication tool, not just convenience, its a multi-purpose tool. you may think im listening to a new record available only on itunes, but im actually about to log into a conference call with 6 other people who's phone is their life line as well.

i pay up the arse for a hand set with 8 cores and a widescreen for many reasons. not the one in your logic.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

PS: A world spanning EMP is currently impossible. EMP's don't work like they do in the movies and aren't deployable with just a press of a button.

I'd highly recommend you learn a bit more about emps and what CMEs can do. You may find it informative.

As for the rest of your post: bit defensive there. Seems I've hit a nerve.

It's okay though. I'll let you get back to scrolling with your thumb.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm a book lover. I carry 600+ volumes everywhere I go.

OP, stuff it. I'm going to continue to educate myself whether you like it or not.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

Oh... I guess we weren't having a polite conversation then. I see now the attacks and cheap shots begin. Sheesh... It isn't even a political thread and people can't refrain from being jackasses... You didn't hit a nerve before, but your post just now certainly did.

PS: Since you are lazy and are telling me to do your research for me:
Who ’s Afraid of the Big Bad Pulse?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Reading this thread on my phone, with ear buds in as I listen to a podcast.

Damn phone

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The beauty of a (relatively) free society--you can have your opinion about other's actions, but others don't need to bow to your issue about said actions.

That doesn't mean that I disagree with your rant, I'm just saying that I think that you're letting it bother you a tad too much. Just bump into them hard and pretend it was an accident.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join