It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take your stupid phones and ear buds and shove them!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
a reply to: searcherfortruth

What precipitated this rant? My wife. She works very hard to take care of customers at her place of employment, only to have to deal with these morons every day. They sit there or stand there constantly on their damn phones. She ask them questions and they nod their damn heads and do not bother to even look up at her. Then when they get good and ready, they manage to acknowledge her. Only to inform her that they wanted something else or they wanted it packaged or bagged a different way.

So rude and obnoxious. I told her from now on, if a customer is on their damn phone or has earbuds in, to ignore them and go to the next customer that is not behaving as they are the only thing important in the world.

My previous job gave a mandatory class on how to communicate with Millennials. I thought they were spoofing, but this is some more of the craziness our society wants to force on us.

The entry of each new generation into the workplace results in a shift in communications styles, but the convergence of Millennials and technology has resulted in a more significant shift in communication style than we’ve experienced in the two generations before them. Many are asking, “Is communicating with Millennials in the workplace really different than communicating with other generations? For that matter, are Millennials really any different than the rest of us?” In some ways, yes – and in many ways, no. Millennials, like everyone, want to be treated with respect, be valued, and be heard, but they are driving change in where – and how efficiently – we communicate. Rather than expect them to conform, we suggest that it’s time for the communication rules to change, which will make all of us more effective in achieving our goals.

Communicating with Millennials

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You can try fighting these changes all you want. You can even label them "craziness" and fume that you have to adapt to what the kids are doing, but at the end of the day this is how communication works these days. You either accept it or you get out of the way. There is no other option.

And that report is true. Millennials grew up with this technology. That technology is as a part of them as breathing now. To expect them to conform with archaic means of communicating just because you refuse to adapt when they have MUCH more efficient means of doing so in their pockets is absurd.

edit on 13-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You can try fighting these changes all you want. You can even label them "craziness" and fume that you have to adapt to what the kids are doing, but at the end of the day this is how communication works these days. You either accept it or you get out of the way. There is no other option.

And that report is true. Millennials grew up with this technology. That technology is as a part of them as breathing now. To expect them to conform with archaic means of communicating just because you refuse to adapt when they have MUCH more efficient means of doing so in their pockets is absurd.

I didn't get to this ripe old age by refusing to adapt to those things in society that I deem beneficial. I don't tell other people what to do or think and I expect the same courtesy. Communication should be a two way street, and is only successfully effective when there is mutual respect.

There are some things that I don't find acceptable, and I am not willing to change my ways to accommodate. I was unwilling to put up with rude, inconsiderate, demanding, and selfish behavior, so I opted not to do so.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

And that is your choice, but this stuff isn't going away. It's only going to get worse too. It's just a statement of reality. You can complain about it or even ignore it completely, but that isn't going to change society's direction. And eventually you'll just be considered a dinosaur that refuses to get with the times.

I work in IT. I'm certainly not going to abandon my tech devices and I'm not even that tech integrated. To me the complaints in the OP are just small potatoes. Sure it can be annoying to see and deal with, but its like road rage. Just take a second, count to 10, then you'll be fine. It's not worth getting all bent out of shape about.

To be honest, this thread sounds like John Henry railing against the steam powered hammer.
edit on 13-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
I am not disagreeing with you. You may be 100% correct, but there are just some things I am not willing to compromise on. Decency, common courtesy, and mutual respect are just a few.

I am way past the stage of being upset about being called an old fart or a dinosaur. I paid a lot to dues to reach this stage and I refuse to give up on mutual respect.

Just because we are making huge strides into the age of technology, doesn't mean we have to leave our humanity behind. Well, I am not willing to anyways.

So you young folks can just keep on trucking to wherever you think you are headed. I wish you all good fortune and hope that the world holds a beautiful future for you.

Ehen the time comes I will gladly make the long walk with head held high, even if rocks are being thrown at my back. I have no problems with being called useless, senile and archaic. I have no regrets.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

I do mate. All the time at school. I actually will go out of my way to not get out of their way while they are walking with their head down buried in their phones and I see them coming walking on the same line I am.

I get cursed at a lot in several different languages on a regular basis because of it but maybe they learned a lesson. Maybe not. I've actually had the same person run into me a couple of times.

There is an old adage in hockey to "keep your head up". Bad things happen when your looking at your feet instead of where you're going, or what's coming.

I have been asked "what the hell is wrong with me, didn't you see me coming?" at least a dozen times at school over the last few years. I always answer, "Yes, but you didn't see me now get off the freakin' phone while you're walking."

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Technology isn't the issue, being a candidate for a Darwin Award is.I use my devices frequently for school and while working. I don't walk with my head down unaware of my surroundings while totally focused on the tech though.

Technology is a beautiful thing and when used properly, important, vital in some cases. No message on a mobile device is so important that you can't take the few extra seconds to find a spot out of others way to check.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

*rubs eyes*

Is that really you? my Gatou?!!!

No message on a mobile device is so important that you can't take the few extra seconds to find a spot out of others way to check.

YES, I SUGGEST YOU DO JUST THAT!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
You know what scared me?

Last Saturday, we were driving home on the highway, about an hour and a half from home. I decided to check out the other drivers while hubby was driving.

5 out of every 10 drivers were using their damn PHONES!!!! Meaning they had them in their hands, where I could see it. WTH????
This included SEMI Drivers, which I know in my state, is a huge fine for both the drivers, and the company they drive for. This was a three lane highway.

I did this for 15 minutes.

And people wonder why I don't leave my small town very often. The roads aren't safe.

What cracks me up is watching someone in a newer car that more that likely has Bluetooth and they have their phone plastered to the side of their face. Read your owners manual people there is all kinds of info in it.

edit on 13-12-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
A fair rant ..

Not applicable to my line of work but one I can certainly understand.

/typing this from my phone

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I am so sick of people with their damn phones and ear buds everywhere they go, always texting and not paying attention, listening to their music and not paying attention, taking their stupid selfies and not paying attention.

Take them and shove them. Smartphones? NO. DUMBPHONES is more like it. Rude and obnoxious. Leave it to humans to run technology into the ground. OMG.

Really? Do you have a new appendage, NOW? What the hell are you morons going to do when you can't use the damn things anymore?

Stop, communicating? You will NOT get this through your thick skulls will you?

Go to dinner? Phones. Go to the store? Phones. Go to the movies? Phones. Go to the bank? Phones. Go to the park? Phones. Go to the bathroom? Phones. Go to bed? Phones. Driving? Phones.

OMG! Give it a rest already. So rude and obnoxious. Need a phone for emergencies? Fine. Keep in touch with your elderly parents? Fine. Track your kids? Fine. But everywhere you go on the DAMN phone? NOT FINE.

Stupid, rude and obnoxious. Everyone does not need to hear your stupid conversations everywhere you go. You want to play music and dance to your beat fine, but when you are doing things that involve other people? NOT FINE.

STUPID, DUMB, INCONSIDERATE, RUDE, OBNOXIOUS and TOTALLY RIDICULOUS behavior is UNACCEPTABLE!

End of rant.

Wow! That's a lot of hate! So much condemning judgement! Does somebody need a hug?

If it wasn't for the phones: how many other reasons would you have to label them morons? Stupid?
Their clothes? Tattoos? Piercings? Lifestyle? Hair? Language?

Sad that you are surrounded by morons. Some say that we create our own reality, and that the outside world is a reflection of ourselves.
Some say that it is with no effort that we can see our own shortcomings in others, but that it takes wisdom and insight to be able to make an effort, to see the gold in others.

Did you ever think that maybe those "morons", are not always doing something important on their phone, but only pretend to do so, to not have to deal with judgmental people who look down on them?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Smartphones being used by dumb people. I couldn't do my job nearly as effectively without my phone.
Call them what you will, to me, it's a money maker!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I think you are stretching the concept of the "Darwin Awards" here. People act stupid all the time. It may irk you or get under your skin, but a person not paying attention to where they are walking doesn't often lead to them killing themselves or rendering themselves unable to breed. I can understand the frustration of dealing with a rude person and I'm not saying that I like it either. It's just part of who we are. Do you go out of your way to cut off every driver who cuts you off while you are driving or do you just shrug and let it go?

Personally, I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. If there is one thing I learned while being in the military its how to let the little things go. And frankly worrying about someone being rude while walking isn't exactly on the top of my worries.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

That's fair and I'm not trying to disparage you or insult you. I know I can come off as abrasive sometimes when I speak my mind. And hey there are already aspects of newer technology that even I'm not keeping up with. I'm not a big fan of social media (Well outside of a few select forums like ATS and some subreddits) and I barely keep up on my Facebook account. I don't even have Twitter. Actually Facebook is my only Social Media account unless you count gaming profiles in Playstation Network or Steam. But I don't really use the Social aspects of those accounts either.

Anyways I'm rambling. I don't really use Social media. I understand that as I move into my mid 30's then eventually pass on into my 40's it won't be long until I'm that dinosaur. Technology moves fast. I'm in IT and it is hard to keep up. So I'm not faulting you for accepting who you are. Do you. A friend says that to me all the time and there is a lot of wisdom in it. I used to think it was insulting, but if you think about it, it says a lot.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

a reply to: CulturalResilience

Oh but there has been a tremendous rise in "accidents". People not watching where they are going falling off cliffs. Texting and driving leading to "accidental" deaths of drivers and passengers and innocent bystanders. Unfortunately, these are not "accidental" incidents. They are purposeful due to inconsiderate, obnoxious, rude idiots.

If they only kill themselves then that is Darwinism at work, but when their stupidity and ignorance affects others the penalty must be harsh. You are right in what you say about the increase in consequences from irresponsible phone use, but I was thinking along the lines of the last five years or so. From what I've seen the increase in that period of time should have been logarithmic.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I didn't get to this ripe old age by refusing to adapt to those things in society that I deem beneficial. I don't tell other people what to do or think and I expect the same courtesy. Communication should be a two way street, and is only successfully effective when there is mutual respect.

There are some things that I don't find acceptable, and I am not willing to change my ways to accommodate. I was unwilling to put up with rude, inconsiderate, demanding, and selfish behavior, so I opted not to do so.

i think my issue is that these devices are infinitely beneficial and while I 100% agree with you that indecency is rampant at times, it was rampant well before the cellphone and will continue well into the next major communications advance. I am a Gen X'er. I grew up part of my life without the cellphone, most of my life without the smartphone, and this part of my life with the smartphone. I find that there is no difference in the quantity of A-holes...but that it's more apparent these days.

I think smartphones were an amazing invention. I think that OP's main failing in this situation is being this upset over what other parties at a restaurant do. Does it irritate me to see people at a table not communicating? A bit I guess....but then I really don't care what they do because it literally has no effect on me and my party.

Of course the one thing I will very much agree with it texting and driving...people who do this deserve a hefty ticket

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I think you are stretching the concept of the "Darwin Awards" here. but a person not paying attention to where they are walking doesn't often lead to them killing themselves or rendering themselves unable to breed.

I'm not going to bother linking videos because I don't think we need to watch people walking with their head buried in a phone getting hit by cars and trains but a two second google search will provide all kinds of exactly that. That fits the definition of a Darwin Award candidate. There are plenty of basic stats out there as well...

www.medscape.com...

This one says deaths are down but injuries are way up.

www.amta.org.au...

www.wsj.com...

and so on and so on.

Personally, I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. If there is one thing I learned while being in the military its how to let the little things go. And frankly worrying about someone being rude while walking isn't exactly on the top of my worries.

Good on ya. I don't sweat small stuff mate, far from it. I have much more important things to me to be concerned about. But in a hall way built for two people to pass and little more, when the oncoming person is completely unaware that they are causing flow issues, I'll make them aware that they are. Nobody gets hurt and they might learn a lesson from it. Or not.
edit on 14-12-2016 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A funny anti phone thread again, we see them a lot this year.

So again I will say the same. I use my phone a lot in public. Especially in public I must say. Having a phone in your hands and your eyes looking in that direction is a magical thing that I really missed before it was widespread.

The magic lies in this: Whenever you are walking outside in a park, or waiting in line in a store or wherever Dumbass may be, once Dumbass pretend to be busy with the tiny magic box, the talkative vocal retards steer clear away, I mean no communication whatsoever... It is exciting and relieving at the same moment. You can hear them bitching and moaning in the distance about how we should be more social and communicating one on one... well I got news for you, i didn't like that before the usage of mobile phones either. If i go to the store I need to get something from that store. If I go to the woods or the park it is because I want to be outside with a slight feeling of nature, at those moments I really don't care what a friend of a friend of you was doing you damned vocalist ruining my peaceful moment.

Before that magic box there was a need to say you were in a rush or you just had to communicate anyway, it was always awkward and for neither parties fulfilling. But now I am really happy with that carry-on "Do Not Disturb" sign.
edit on 14-12-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Oh I guess the difference between you and I is I don't often walk down hallways where only two people can fit. Is your school that cramped? I can see why that would suck.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Not all of it but in the older buildings where they have added locker banks on each side of the halls, they are now big enough to have single file traffic if there is people coming both ways. When you get someone walking with their head down slowing and backing up the flow, it becomes a problem for everyone.

Again, technology is awesome, people being an arsehole using technology is not.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join