It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas shoppers and children terrified by armed police on streets with machine guns

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

The OP also states that you find it alarming.

Let's not backpeddle and act like you're not trying to push the "scary" aspect of this, k?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

just my opinion - but children in the UK dont burst into tears just because a constable has a firearm - the problem is thier hysterical parents

My kids would be pretty spooked to see the police walking round with bloody great guns I can tell you and with good reason.

And with all your comments so far, you seem like the hysterical parent type, who is against all firearms for all reasons. I feel bad for you really.

Why is not wanting either myself or children to be in the presence of firearms in a public place wrong?

Shooting range? sure it sounds like fun!

As soon as he's is old enough I will take my son out with a few mates with shotguns and maybe bag a few rabbits and pigeons and teach him the value of life and the responsibility that comes with taking it.

But buying Christmas gifts while fully armed police officers patrol, nah no thanks fella I'll stay at home and make people cakes if it's that dangerous out there these days, unless of course it's completely safe and the government are just cranking up the control a few more notches and if that is the case it's time to stand up now while we still can, you guys in the US have more guns than the cops we don't.
edit on 12/12/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Let's not backpeddle and act like you're not trying to push the "scary" aspect of this, k?

I do find it scary as I have said a few times, what exactly are we doing here other than perpetuating our general dislike for each others opinion anyway, make a valid point or move along fella.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Isn't this to deter any possiblr terror-rist from carrying out an attack?

In which case, it's best they are armed and out in areas where there will be lots of people.

If an attack did happen or was close to happening, anyone who is now complaining about cops with guns, wouldn't be complaining during, after or before an attacker has been subdued.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In which case, it's best they are armed and out in areas where there will be lots of people.

If an attack did happen or was close to happening, anyone who is now complaining about cops with guns, wouldn't be complaining during, after or before an attacker has been subdued.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I guess it must be, I would like to see the official statements regarding the threats though as opposed to simply assuming that it must be dangerous out there but I do not trust the government so maybe it's just me being a crackpot eh?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

A boot licker says what?

Why do your ilk call everyone a snowflake that doesn't agree with you?
As if you're the authority of masculinity or strength.
Why should people be forced to understand why officers are starting to
look like they're in war fields?
Not sure where you're from but our (USA) police want more and more access to military
gear. I'm sorry but not wanting to see officers armed to the teeth with tanks to make
traffic stops does not make one a snowflake.

edit on 12-12-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I do find it scary as I have said a few times, what exactly are we doing here other than perpetuating our general dislike for each others opinion anyway, make a valid point or move along fella.

Look fella, last I checked the address bar on the site isn't "nonspecific's abovetopsecret" so you can stuff the "move along" crap. Don't post on an open forum if you don't want anybody who disagrees with you to respond to it. Simple enough.

You made a point. I disagreed with it. You made a snarky little 'Murica hur hur comment because you couldn't comprehend my initial point. I disagreed again. You made another point, and I pointed out that you're being intellectually dishonest and attempting to make it sound like it's just the source article that thinks it's scary, not you. Then you agreed that you're scared.

Don't take my disagreement with your points as not contributing anything. I'm just not contributing anything you like on a personal level which, coincidentally, is your own personal problem. Not mine. So long as you continue to post points, I'm free to post responses to them. That's how discussion works.
edit on 12-12-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It is off putting, but just to let you know, Ive encountered worse in Italy. Not only the cops, but they routinely deploy heavily armed special forces troops at regional festivals.

We routinely see cops in full kit with automatic rifles at US airports, bus stations, and subway platforms in our larger cities.

You say we have more guns than cops and in the UK you dont. Maybe its time to fix that. Where I live in Texas, we routinely see citizens openly carrying automatic hand guns and long arms. I always carry a revolver when taking the evening stroll because of our feral hog epidemic. After a while, you just get used to it.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

More than likely. Large crowds of people tend to be regarded as possible targets for attacks, so the mindset is often present that one needs to take steps to harden the target.

Plus it seems as if that particular department just got several new armed response officers.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Look fella, last I checked the address bar on the site isn't "nonspecific's abovetopsecret" so you can stuff the "move along" crap. Don't post on an open forum if you don't want anybody who disagrees with you to respond to it. Simple enough.

You made a point. I disagreed with it. You made a snarky little 'Murica hur hur comment because you couldn't comprehend my initial point. I disagreed again. You made another point, and I pointed out that you're being intellectually dishonest and attempting to make it sound like it's just the source article that thinks it's scary, not you. Then you agreed that you're scared.

Don't take my disagreement with your points as not contributing anything. I'm just not contributing anything you like on a personal level which, coincidentally, is your own personal problem. Not mine. So long as you continue to post points, I'm free to post responses to them. That's how discussion works.

But what we are doing is bickering not discussing is it not?

Maybe I took you the wrong way from our previous encounters and if so I apologise.

So for my benefit could you briefly explain what your point is regarding my question in the op and we can play nicely from now on?
edit on 12/12/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It is called freedom of speech MagicCow.

Well I guess you should have read all of my posts on this thread before knee jerking, twisting words around and treating people as Ilks... But freedom of speech and all that...

Thank you for the STFUs by the way... very mature

This is what I wrote : More MSM news using a couple of "Snowflakes" as our US cousins like to call them to make a big story out of nothing.

Have a nice day.

Warmest respects

Lags

originally posted by: MagicCow

A boot licker says what?

Why do your ilk call everyone a snowflake that doesn't agree with you?
As if you're the authority of masculinity or strength.
Why should people be forced to understand why officers are starting to
look like they're in war fields?
Not sure where you're from but our (USA) police want more and more access to military
gear. I'm sorry but not wanting to see officers armed to the teeth with tanks to make
traffic stops does not make one a snowflake.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

It is off putting, but just to let you know, Ive encountered worse in Italy. Not only the cops, but they routinely deploy heavily armed special forces troops at regional festivals.

We routinely see cops in full kit with automatic rifles at US airports, bus stations, and subway platforms in our larger cities.

You say we have more guns than cops and in the UK you dont. Maybe its time to fix that. Where I live in Texas, we routinely see citizens openly carrying automatic hand guns and long arms. I always carry a revolver when taking the evening stroll because of our feral hog epidemic. After a while, you just get used to it.

I have travelled in Italy and was a bit of a culture shock regarding armed police but in over a month I never say groups of grinning officers with the kind of guns in the OP but maybe things have changed?

As to the balance I would rather have less armed police than more armed civilians but that again is just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
cheesyleps

Thanks for answering my question. For some reason, your response and this thread made me think of another one titled:

Cop or Soldier?

The link to the quiz

I think maybe it is hard for some because cops don't look like cops anymore..they look like soldiers. When it becomes hard to discern between the two..and they are roaming the streets..kinda makes you feel like your living in a war zone..when you are just trying to enjoy the holiday with your family.

Just wanted to thank you for answering my question..I really didn't know. And as I said..link the other thread came to mind .. thought I'd share it as well.

Off to take the quiz!

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 12-12-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Id be more worried if the cops started dressing like a sheik while carrying any weapon

While a cop dressed as a sheikh would, indeed, be alarming, I'd be far more worried if they were dressing like Pennywise.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Bedlam
Even better, it gives you a great way to stage an armed assault by dressing up like a British cop and smiling at everyone as you approach your target.

Now you have done it....made me rip snort

Well, when I saw the picture, I thought "Now, that's damned odd for a British cop", followed by "How do I know it IS a British cop?" followed by "You know, that's something I bet you could use to your advantage"

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

No Kneejerking.
I read your posts.
Nothing to do with freedom of speech when we're talking about the
militarization of our police officers.
I can assure those militarized officers if the unions get their
way your freedom of speech is the last thing they will be protecting
and the first thing they will be trying to take away.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

how quickly you people forget....

Your decline greatly exceeds our own, even after we have spent much lives and treasure for you to maintain yourselves.
Next time we'll let you earn the right to learn the German language.

You mean when you joined three years late like the time before when the actual fighting was over and took all the credit for winning, exactly like the time before? Remember the last tie you tried to fight a war without us and got your ass handed to you by North Vietnam? How quickly you people forget that if it wasn't for us you would be speaking French.

Back on topic. I work for the UK government in a security role and just to clarify the statement that the deployment is not in response to a specific threat or intelligence usually means the response is to a non-specific, non-localised general threat that has been deemed sufficiently credible to warrant this level of visible response. The more observant amongst you may notice from the picture that the officers are not displaying a geographical force crest, and are not displaying shoulder numbers on their uniforms. There are several possible reasons for this.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Even better, it gives you a great way to stage an armed assault by dressing up like a British cop and smiling at everyone as you approach your target.

Now you have done it....made me rip snort

Well, when I saw the picture, I thought "Now, that's damned odd for a British cop", followed by "How do I know it IS a British cop?" followed by "You know, that's something I bet you could use to your advantage"

I thought it looked odd to. When I was in London the cops carried sticks. I think they had a whistle too

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

And what could be some of the possible reasons you allude to please?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join