It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas shoppers and children terrified by armed police on streets with machine guns

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: EvillerBob

No not the threat of violence but the actual use of it if someone was to try and encourage my child to get involved with automatic weapons because it was cool.

What's wrong with that? They are cool.

Does it change things if the weapon isn't automatic? Because I'd put very good money on rifles in the OP being semi-automatic. You don't tend to lay down suppressive fire in a shopping centre full of people. Well, not unless you're Russian special forces.

Nope any weapon designed solely for the purpose of either intimidating, oppressing or killing humans would elicit the same response.

You do understand that you can hold a firearm without it forcing you to execute an orphanage full of nuns and babies, right?

It's just a piece of metal.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

heads would explode if you saw what our boys here in th states are toting.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

simply drive to the next large town or city

Newcastle to Carlisle 58 miles.
Newcastle to Edinburgh 120 miles.

Looks like it's Carlisle. Weather permitting.

And when they finally get there three days later, frostbitten and haggard, they have to face the formidable people of Carlisle who have been hardened in the forge of tragedy as no other.
www.bbc.co.uk...

national biscuit shortage. The temporary closure of the Carlisle site hit supplies of McVitie's ginger nuts, Crawford's custard creams and Carr's water biscuits, among others.

There isn't really anything else worth hitting around Newcastle. They do have reason to take precautions.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

simply drive to the next large town or city

Newcastle to Carlisle 58 miles.
Newcastle to Edinburgh 120 miles.

Looks like it's Carlisle. Weather permitting.

And when they finally get there three days later, frostbitten and haggard, they have to face the formidable people of Carlisle who have been hardened in the forge of tragedy as no other.
www.bbc.co.uk...

national biscuit shortage. The temporary closure of the Carlisle site hit supplies of McVitie's ginger nuts, Crawford's custard creams and Carr's water biscuits, among others.

There isn't really anything else worth hitting around Newcastle. They do have reason to take precautions.

But surely unless we have armed police in enough numbers in every major shopping area across the UK then it cannot be a preventative measure can it?

And even if all the major cities were covered then what about the smaller towns and even villages, Imagine a rural school getting taken out in the middle of the nativity?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Imagine a rural school getting taken out in the middle of the nativity?

Careful now. The false flag crew will be looking to you for inspiration.

Thinking of false flags, perhaps these guys are bait?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I would not trust a word out of that mans mouth worth a damn.

He is SIS, meaning that his branch are some of those responsible for helping organise sales of weapons to nations and groups with which we ought be doing NO business of any kind. He and his disgusting mob, can get the bloody hell off my island, and so can everyone who respects them or their work.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

After all, the Police are nothing more than paid agents of the crown,

Exactly - I don't see them rounding up Bankers or their Lawyer buddies with machine gun's.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It's nice to see that law enforcement isn't just sitting idly by, crossing their fingers and only being a reactionary force with non-lethal weapons, hoping that nothing goes wrong in an area where a large amount of people are gathered in order to have fun during the holidays, often with the whole family there.

Unsure what you're so nervous and scared about. Did anything bad happen? Did the officers assault anyone without cause?

Also, the cognitive dissonance in the article concerns me--the title calls them machine guns and implies that everyone was "terrified" by the presence of the armed officers, yet it notes that they were semi-auto weapons (obviously) and notes that not everyone had an issue with it, and some even embraced their presence. And don't even get me started on the terrible Photoshopped image of the LEO aiming a grenade launcher with fire behind him.

This is a wholly biased article, and while it reports that there were people on both sides of the opinion concerning the officers, the inflammatory imagery and verbiage really makes this a hit piece on armed police officers, which I view as being pathetic since the overwhelming majority of officers with firearms are good officers and never use their firearms unless absolutely necessary.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Hmm.. this has happened before..I think this article is from 2004:

AN armed policewoman patrols the streets of Manchester - as part of an initiative that will see officers with machine guns mingling with Christmas shoppers.

For the first time, officers are carrying machine guns and pistols during routine street patrols in the city centre.

Has it not been a regular thing since 2004? I am really just curious if they stopped it and restarted again or something..if it's been like that since 2004...it would seem this shouldn't be so upsetting..Just asking..I really don't know..

also, this happened in 2004 in the aftermath of September 11 and the war in Afghanistan.(the article linked states this)Are they worried about something happening this year?

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 12-12-2016 by blend57 because: for clarity? lol

edit on 12-12-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

"So is this the start of armed police in the UK? Are we simply supposed to get used to this so in a generation or so it will be the norm?"

Welcome to the real world. Upgrade your micro-view of the world.

As I recall, it was the guns of others that has allowed you to maintain yourselves in the manner you have. Far better that your police are holding the guns than some bad "others" from elsewhere.

Typical gung ho American comment, I was expecting this to be fair and really not interested in you views regarding this matter, your countrys so called "great" system is not actually turning out all that well is it?

And yours is working out marvelously, is it? Given that people are reduced to tears at the sight of an armed police officer and you're in here flailing mightily about how scary it is, I'd say you folks are doing just super.

Also, if you're not interested in Americans' POV, then perhaps you shouldn't post on a website predominantly American-visited. I know some Americans like to complain when Europeans comment on American-centric things but I think we can, for the most part anyway, agree that that's pretty childish behavior no?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: Aliensun

"So is this the start of armed police in the UK? Are we simply supposed to get used to this so in a generation or so it will be the norm?"

Welcome to the real world. Upgrade your micro-view of the world.

As I recall, it was the guns of others that has allowed you to maintain yourselves in the manner you have. Far better that your police are holding the guns than some bad "others" from elsewhere.

Typical gung ho American comment, I was expecting this to be fair and really not interested in you views regarding this matter, your countrys so called "great" system is not actually turning out all that well is it?

And yours is working out marvelously, is it? Given that people are reduced to tears at the sight of an armed police officer and you're in here flailing mightily about how scary it is, I'd say you folks are doing just super.

Also, if you're not interested in Americans' POV, then perhaps you shouldn't post on a website predominantly American-visited. I know some Americans like to complain when Europeans comment on American-centric things but I think we can, for the most part anyway, agree that that's pretty childish behavior no?

Oh well here we go again don't we, Yeehaw gawd bless murica pew pew pew....

The gun laws in the UK/US have been done to death on here and nobody asked you to become involved in the debate did they?
O
Exactly what I expected as I said earlier.
edit on 12/12/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

It's nice to see that law enforcement isn't just sitting idly by, crossing their fingers and only being a reactionary force with non-lethal weapons, hoping that nothing goes wrong in an area where a large amount of people are gathered in order to have fun during the holidays, often with the whole family there.

Unsure what you're so nervous and scared about. Did anything bad happen? Did the officers assault anyone without cause?

Also, the cognitive dissonance in the article concerns me--the title calls them machine guns and implies that everyone was "terrified" by the presence of the armed officers, yet it notes that they were semi-auto weapons (obviously) and notes that not everyone had an issue with it, and some even embraced their presence. And don't even get me started on the terrible Photoshopped image of the LEO aiming a grenade launcher with fire behind him.

This is a wholly biased article, and while it reports that there were people on both sides of the opinion concerning the officers, the inflammatory imagery and verbiage really makes this a hit piece on armed police officers, which I view as being pathetic since the overwhelming majority of officers with firearms are good officers and never use their firearms unless absolutely necessary.

"Machine guns" and "terrified" makes for better headlines and fear-stoking than "Patrol carbines" and "not everybody pissed their pants." As evidenced by this thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Lol! No actual point to make? Better attempt to ridicule and deride, eh?

Sod off mate

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

the current Obama administration did what it could to make the US like all the other developing and 3rd world nations. If you have ever been outside the country of the US or the EU you will see armed guards at banks, Malls and other businesses. Of them checking for explosives and keep guard for the protection of the patrons of those business establishments

edit on 12-12-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Sod off mate

No, just no wish to get involved in yet a circular argument regarding the differing opinions on gun laws in our respective countries that's all?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

That is a fair question, I am guessing you are in America then?

We simply are not accustomed to that kind of thing especially in my neck of the woods so I would expect at least some kind of reason to have that level of armed policing on the streets. I imagine it would be a bit like you popping down the shops and seeing tanks driving around and bloody great rockets and the likes but with no official reason other than "keep you nice and safe"

That and I am a big girls blouse that is scared of everything of course.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Sod off mate

No, just no wish to get involved in yet a circular argument regarding the differing opinions on gun laws in our respective countries that's all?

Did I say anything about gun laws? Nope, not a word. You brought them up, yet say you don't want to get into a circular argument about them with me.

Okay, then don't bring them up? Pretty simple, no?

Pointing out that you're scared because you read an article about armed police officers on patrol doesn't have anything to do with gun laws. Near as I can tell, UK police have had armed response officers for quite a while so it's not the "start" of armed police in the UK. Nor is this the first time that local police have put armed officers at an event, because it appears that other localities have had armed officers patrolling high-traffic areas and high-profile events.

It's a fear-mongering article and a fear-mongering post.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57

Hmm.. this has happened before..I think this article is from 2004:

AN armed policewoman patrols the streets of Manchester - as part of an initiative that will see officers with machine guns mingling with Christmas shoppers.

For the first time, officers are carrying machine guns and pistols during routine street patrols in the city centre.

Has it not been a regular thing since 2004? I am really just curious if they stopped it and restarted again or something..if it's been like that since 2004...it would seem this shouldn't be so upsetting..Just asking..I really don't know..

also, this happened in 2004 in the aftermath of September 11 and the war in Afghanistan.(the article linked states this)Are they worried about something happening this year?

Thanks,
blend57

My thoughts exactly. I have seen plenty of officers patrolling with H&Ks around the cities of the North West (Liverpool, Manchester and Preston) since 9/11. You don't exactly see them every day but it's regular enough not to particularly draw any attention. If you travel by rail or air then you will see them even more. Do these people piss themselves every time they go on holiday?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Sod off mate

Did I say anything about gun laws? Nope, not a word. You brought them up, yet say you don't want to get into a circular argument about them with me.

Okay, then don't bring them up? Pretty simple, no?

Pointing out that you're scared because you read an article about armed police officers on patrol doesn't have anything to do with gun laws. Near as I can tell, UK police have had armed response officers for quite a while so it's not the "start" of armed police in the UK. Nor is this the first time that local police have put armed officers at an event, because it appears that other localities have had armed officers patrolling high-traffic areas and high-profile events.

The opening of the OP clearly states that the "news" source is dubious as a terrible UK tabloid and I was actually asking a question as to weather this is simply a way of getting us accustomed to seeing this kind of thing on a daily basis as opposed to a response to a real threat.

Maybe if I lived in a large city then I would be more accustomed to it but I do not as does the majority of the population here, we are just not used to it and I personally question the reasoning behind it.

If you disagree then that is your choice to do so.
It's a fear-mongering article and a fear-mongering post.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

just my opinion - but children in the UK dont burst into tears just because a constable has a firearm - the problem is thier hysterical parents

My kids would be pretty spooked to see the police walking round with bloody great guns I can tell you and with good reason.

And with all your comments so far, you seem like the hysterical parent type, who is against all firearms for all reasons. I feel bad for you really.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join