It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas shoppers and children terrified by armed police on streets with machine guns

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I didn't get notified of your reply, sorry to be so late.

Yea......Italy has changed A LOT! They seem to be on a state of high alert ALL THE TIME!

Not sure what caused that to happen, maybe the Paris attacks? I dunno. One reason I've speculated to is that Italy is headquarters to numerous NATO organizations; they take security very seriously. They seem to operate two ways. One is a clandestine approach with under cover types walking about surveilling the scene on the look out for the suspicious, then Two, they have these massive demonstrations of raw police power in the form of heavily armed cops and soldiers walking about, (usually talking to one another or on their radios), with the occasional low, slow helicopter over flight.

You know.......maybe that's whats happening in your area! Maybe they've got the cops out brandishing high powered automatic rifles while at the same time, they've got undercover cops walking about checking the crowds and looking to see who's suspicious.

I'm sorry you're alarmed at their presence, but...........actually, knowledge of this would encourage me to cross the pond for a visit! So far the only place I've felt safe in Europe is Italy! The coppers in Italy are very friendly and voluble with the tourists and always ready with helpful tourist information. Knowing the UK coppers are "on the job" encourages me to want to go there. Just a thought, although you'd probably find it deplorable, but then again.....I guess I am a deplorable.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

How is this any different then living on post?
Fort Hood.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The point of having them is as a deterrent. The point of TSA in American airports (if there really is one) is as a deterrent. The reason that our police in America carry weapons (sometimes more than one weapon per individual) is as a deterrent. The apparent reason that the officers in your OP were there was as a deterrent--but furthermore, all of the noted armed law enforcement agents exist where they are and with the weapons that they have because a reactionary force who is not on-scene when something terrible goes down can take precious minutes to arrive.

I understand what you are saying but my personal experience has taught me that a deterrent without a legitimate cause, is useless and possibly problematic. Legitimate in the sense that one has to personally recognize and believe there is threat that warrants the deterrent.

Just a couple simple and none threatening examples. We used to put up side rails all around a patient's bed to prevent them falling out of the bed and injuring themselves. We stopped allowing side rails to be placed all around the bed without an attendant, because the patients would try to crawl over the sides rails, still fall, but now falling from a higher height, increased the number of injuries.

It used to be the only requirement for homeowners with pools, was a fence to prevent children from wandering into the pools and drowning. The presence of the fence was meant as a deterrent, but for some children it became a beacon, because climbing the fence increased the excitement, and the fence prevented them being seen, so it turned out to be a poor deterrent in too many cases.

Deterrents in the face of no immediate threat, only makes the innocent complacent and challenges the criminal mind.

That is my individual and biased opinion.
edit on 12-12-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edit.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: butcherguy

The fact that the officials are encouraging people to interact with the armed police seems to back up your assessment.

It is quite scary that they seem to be pushing for acceptance without any real justification other than deterring shoplifters and pick pockets I agree.

Eeh?

It is december, christmas is at our doorstep. Radical islamist have been killing people and threatening countries all over the E.U for quite some time now and they especially dont like christmas.

If they do not enchance security and another group of wabibi's comes out and kill hundreds of people including children i'l bet you would make a thread that they didn't do enough to prevent it and that they should have had more police on the ground around christmas and then probably add it was a false flag which is why they did not reinforce their security.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I'm not against guns at all, just like I'm not against chainsaws but our little island doesn't need this.

It will certainly make revolution harder!

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Why..?...pointless...unless....hmmmmmm

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

How is this any different then living on post?
Fort Hood.

I have no idea what you mean sorry?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Of course, but in the same instance, there is not immediate threat in many places with plainly noticed armed security, yet in all of these relatively unprotected cityscapes, gun-free zones like schools and movie theaters, we get attacks that often kill massive amounts of innocent people.

Whether this is a cause-and-effect scenario, or simple coincidence, I'll leave for you to decide.

I guess "legitimate cause" is left up to interpretation, but I assume that we employ police to make those informed decisions on our behalf.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

smiling coppers

It's spinning wildly out of control. I'm heading down into the bunker until it's all over.

www.chroniclelive.co.uk...=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$5

. . . after perceived criticism from the BBC over ‘smiling’ armed officers, police officers from across the country have taken to social media to share snaps of them smiling . . .

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: butcherguy

The fact that the officials are encouraging people to interact with the armed police seems to back up your assessment.

It is quite scary that they seem to be pushing for acceptance without any real justification other than deterring shoplifters and pick pockets I agree.

Eeh?

It is december, christmas is at our doorstep. Radical islamist have been killing people and threatening countries all over the E.U for quite some time now and they especially dont like christmas.

If they do not enchance security and another group of wabibi's comes out and kill hundreds of people including children i'l bet you would make a thread that they didn't do enough to prevent it and that they should have had more police on the ground around christmas and then probably add it was a false flag which is why they did not reinforce their security.

Yep those Muslims sure are crazy this time of year.

BBc news article

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I'm not against guns at all, just like I'm not against chainsaws but our little island doesn't need this.

It will certainly make revolution harder!

I concour, I also have nothing against chainsaws and own one myself, very handy for chopping up wood and scaring debt collectors but if our local PCSO was brandishing one down the jumble sale it would raise an eyebrow or two to say the least.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Hey they don't bug me for walking down the sidewalk with my AK,SKS, or 1911, why do I care if they carry an AR?
edit on 12-12-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

We do not need machine guns

What are you babbling about? What "machine guns"?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

We do not need machine guns

What are you babbling about? What "machine guns"?

Forgive my lack of knowledge of big scary killing sticks, feel free to adjust it to whatever it may be and guffaw at my lack of understanding.

Big shooty things are not and will never be a source of interest or awe to me so I will call them boom sticks from now on.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
I am very much for security, and commonsense should determine the level of response needed. I have a fence to keep my dogs in, and it is sufficient for the level of threat to my home and property. Since I have nothing of great monetary value in my home, nor do I have livestock or poultry, I see it as over kill to electrify my fence.

How much protection do you think is required for those unprotected cityscapes and gun-free zones, like schools and movie theaters? Personally, I believe if people feel the need for militarized police for security of their cities, schools and movie theaters, than they a have a problem much bigger than they are willing to admit.

I would think the people would be better served if they cleaned up the area and removed those creating a need for a militarized police force. It is best to do it early while the numbers are smaller because the longer they wait, the more difficult it will be to remove and control the infestation.

I agree with you that the area may need an increased police presence if the numbers of shoppers are greatly increased because of the holidays. I just don't understand why the police need to be outfitted in tactical military gear to deter shoplifters and pickpockets. Unless that is not why they are there, and not what they are really trying to deter.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

What exactly is "scary" about a firearm? I can just as easily kill a person with a screwdriver, I used to throw knives for a carnival, are you scared of screwdrivers and kitchen knives too? A firearm is only a tool. The saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" Is VERY TRUE. Besides the AR platform rifle nowhere near the most dangerous rifle one can own, look up the nagant sometime. Way more devastating round. Lee Harvey used a really crappy bolt action subpar rifle barely useful for deer hunting and got the job done. So, about that whole "machine gun" Argument again?

[NOTE: A person having a gun does not mean you will get shot... unless you do something stupid to warrant getting shot]
edit on 12-12-2016 by sycomix because: addendum

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Could the crests just be on the shirts under the jackets? I'm not sure what the regulations are there as far as marking up uniforms, but here where I'm at there's no requirement to have an inclement weather garment marked with anything other than "POLICE" on it. So long as the officer has identifying markings on under the jacket, it's fine.

Yes that is possible, as I said there could be any number of reasons and they may or may not be nefarious or conspirational.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

What exactly is "scary" about a firearm? I can just as easily kill a person with a screwdriver, I used to throw knives for a carnival, are you scared of screwdrivers and kitchen knives too? A firearm is only a tool. The saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" Is VERY TRUE. Besides the AR platform rifle nowhere near the most dangerous rifle one can own, look up the nagant sometime. Way more devastating round. Lee Harvey used a really crappy bolt action subpar rifle barely useful for deer hunting and got the job done. So, about that whole "machine gun" Argument again?

[NOTE: A person having a gun does not mean you will get shot... unless you do something stupid to warrant getting shot]

My issue is not with firearms or screwdrivers or chainsaws or overly sharp pencils or any of the other daft things that can be bought up in conversations like this and always have been.

My issue is having an heavily armed police force without any real justification of one, yes we can bang on about the war on terror and crazy Muslims but unless you lived in the UK and outside of the very large areas you could not be expected to understand why this is a concern.

As I said in the OP I do not wish us to get accustomed to seeing armed policemen without actual justification for them, anything else is just conditioning us to accept it and then we run the risk of loosing all kinds of liberties with no way to combat this.

As I said to another member the US citizen has the right to carry the same weapons as it's police force and could indeed fight back if it came to it but we in the UK do not.

It really is that simple to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Bubba thug gangsta nazis drooling for a chance to go into action

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I dont see any 'machine guns' in those photos...

But yeah it can be intimidating I guess, even more if you are a thief....

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join