It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump warns of ‘retribution’ for companies that offshore jobs, threatening 35 percent tariff

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
I can't shoot lead ore out of my 12 gauge. The ore has to be processed. The US doesn't make lead anymore, we make ore.

Wow, dude, we made the 3rd most amount of lead in the world last year and the secondary process is where your lead bullets come from. Try reading that link again.

Oh, and that smelter has been closed for some time, have you seen a shortage of bullets or a dramatic price increase? Not me, I just ordered some two weeks ago and it was the same price as the last time I ordered, plus I got it in two days.

edit on 4-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry Braw, the US has no smelting production. And we are the 3 largest mining countries. Again I can't shoot lead ore through any firearm.

Smelting, an essential part of the primary production, is often skipped in the secondary production. The reason for that is that scrap lead itself is commonly reproduced to its metallic form. As such, smelting is only performed when metallic lead had undergone significant chemical transformation, such as oxidation/rusting.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Sorry Braw, the US has no smelting production. And we are the 3 largest mining countries. Again I can't shoot lead ore through any firearm.

You are very much mistaken:

"The primary smelter did close, (but) we are still supplying ammo customers through our only secondary smelter," she told us. "We do know that primary lead is being imported to the U.S., but we don’t know if it is specific to ammunition suppliers. ... There are many other uses of lead." This plant still produces your bullets, even though you said you cannot get them

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ok, secondary production is recycling lead. Primary is taking ore and making lead. We no longer make lead.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ok, secondary production is recycling lead. Primary is taking ore and making lead. We no longer make lead.

Secondary production produces more lead than primary production (80% in the United States) which means we no longer need to 'make' as much lead as we previously did.

All this is kind of semantics as your point about not being able to purchase American made bullets is inaccurate.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No semantics, if we are at any sort of sustained war, guess what happens. And a dirty little secret is that when I shoot my rifle and i do not retrieve the bullet that lead is gone forever.

Just between you and I, are you ready to say we (the US) makes no lead, to make means from ore to finished lead ingots?

edit on 4-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

No semantics, if we are at any sort of sustained war, guess what happens. And a dirty little secret is that when I shoot my rifle and i do not retrieve the bullet that lead is gone forever.

The vast majority of the lead we use comes from the secondary production method. And I hate to break it to you but we have been in a sustained war since 2001. Any bullet shortages going on?

Just between you and I, are you ready to say we (the US) makes no lead, to make means from ore to finished lead ingots?

We no longer smelt ore in the primary process, the various sources I linked made this clear.

Are ready to say that you can still buy all the ammunition you want, it is still made in the United States and there is no shortage despite two hot wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

GO try to but 22 long rifle, not available.
And the cost is way up to buy any ammo. But most is available, and I can't tell you why the 22LR are so hard to get my hands on.
Every American made round that is shot over seas is gone, it isn't coming back. So it would stand to reason that it has made a dent onto the cost of recycled lead here in the US.

There is a finite amount of recyclable lead that is out there. It will run low, it has to. We are adults and can recognize this. So when the cost of secondary lead (recycled) is more than new lead where is it going to come from? I can't find any info on costs over the last 30 years can you?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Metallicus

Time to rebuild America and get back to a point where we even export anything again before this becomes a concern for us.

So where is the money going to come from if he cuts taxes? He wants tax cuts for companies (real shocker) and cut taxes for the wealthy so where is the money going to come from? Does he have the magic money fairy on speed dial?

Oh boy.

15% of $300 is better than 35% of $100.

Understand that every time a dollar changes hands, the Government gets a cut. That is the magic of taxation.

time.com...

'The two greatest political figures of the last 60 years gave us the model we need'

In February 1964, the Kennedy tax-rate cut won Congressional approval and became law. As Kennedy’s tax-rate-cut, strong dollar economic policy was being articulated and then implemented in the latter half of the presidency, the nation embarked upon an eight-and-a-half year, uninterrupted run of growth at just over 5% per year. Rarely have campaign promises, especially one so bold as to double the long-term rate of economic growth, been so comprehensively fulfilled.

Reagan said repeatedly that his own tax cuts were taken from the Kennedy model. And also like Kennedy, Reagan stayed away from name-calling, snark, and demonization, using the art of persuasion to get tax-cut opponents to come over to his side. Reagan’s method worked stupendously, as had Kennedy’s. The major tax-rate cut of 1986, which took the top income tax rate down to a five-decade low of 28%, passed the Senate 97-3, as the nation enjoyed a long run of growth comfortably over 4% per year.

The Kennedy-Reagan policy mix of tax-rate cuts in the context of a strong dollar remains untried in the 21st century, a now nearly 16-year period of unprecedented economic sluggishness. The two greatest political figures of the last 60 years gave us the model we need today, to set our great nation back in its natural groove of growth again.

edit on 4-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

a

Yeah, okay:

First website that came up when I typed '22lr'. That enough for you?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

It is available, but at what cost. 100 rounds for 15.00$??

What the world is going on??

10 Years ago you could buy a 500 round box for 7.00

also an auto battery was 45$ now it is well over 100$

seems like something has pushed this price up.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

a

Yeah, okay:

First website that came up when I typed '22lr'. That enough for you?

Holy Crap!

Damn, I used to buy those 550 packs for $10-$12 bucks just a few years ago.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Is it the secondary lead that is pushing the price up, or is it collusion between manufactures? Or is there another reason for the cost of this to be so high?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It is available...

I know it is, I was the one posting the screen capture of where to buy it after you said it was not available.

10 Years ago you could buy a 500 round box for 7.00

also an auto battery was 45$ now it is well over 100$

seems like something has pushed this price up.

Potatoes are up over 100% than 10 years ago, a gallon of milk is close to that, average rents are up 75%, college tuition has nearly doubled. You have heard of this thing called inflation, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

a reply to: infolurker

Is it the secondary lead that is pushing the price up, or is it collusion between manufactures? Or is there another reason for the cost of this to be so high?

From what I understand, .22 like sold out completely after the panic buying days of post sandy hook and it never has really had a surplus since. It appears the "new price" is triple what it used to be because supply still has not outpaced demand because everyone is stockpiling it due to how cheap it is compared to .556 and other centerfire rounds.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Why not, they tariff the # out of us and force "partnering" with a Chinese company (to skim off the top) when selling in their markets.

www.forbes.com...

Cars imported to China face a tariff duty of at least 25 percent. In comparison, American duties on cars imported into the US are only 5 percent. Taking into account the 17 percent of VAT and other levies, imported cars and foreign-brand cars produced in China are substantially more expensive than the same type of cars in the United States.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

All this is nice, but I tend to agree with Trump that these corps have to have incentives to stay here in the US. If it is tariffs, so be it. Kinda a long read, it gives a history of tariffs and how the US used to pay for an awful lot of things.
Those who forget history.....
Before the Income Tax
www.thenewamerican.com...

I can't speak to potatoes, they seem to be relatively the same.

College is out of sight.

Milk is still around 2-2.50$ a gal

eggs 1$

beef is up and down but right now it is the same price it has been for the last 5-7 years.

but I can say lead heavy products are up. Ammo, batterys.

And very soon, the Chinese/Indian lead is going to enter or is already into the material stream.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

All this is nice, but I tend to agree with Trump that these corps have to have incentives to stay here in the US. If it is tariffs, so be it. Kinda a long read, it gives a history of tariffs and how the US used to pay for an awful lot of things.
Those who forget history.....
Before the Income Tax
www.thenewamerican.com...

Since you want to discuss history, make sure you pay attention to Smoot-Hawley and its impact on the economy and foreign relations.

And very soon, the Chinese/Indian lead is going to enter or is already into the material stream.

And if you know anything of the commodity market more supply means lower cost.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Is there more supply?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Is there more supply?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join