It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump warns of ‘retribution’ for companies that offshore jobs, threatening 35 percent tariff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Trump gave the corps another warning shot to companies who are thinking about offshoring their labor and bringing their products back to sell in the US.

President-elect Donald Trump fired another warning shot Sunday at U.S. companies considering moving their operations out of the country, threatening "retributions or consequences" such as a hefty border tax if they do.

Trump the man who never sleeps, talked about lowering corp taxes (the ones large corp skirt) and warned companies that are planning to offshore that a 35% tariff is going to slapped on their goods as the product roll in to the US.

The pronouncements came in a string of early morning tweets. Trump declared that he intends to incentivize businesses to stay in America by lowering corporate taxes and slashing regulations, two key components of his economic agenda. But he also warned that companies with offshore factories would face a 35 percent tariff on goods sold back to the United States.

Ben Sasse wants to keep this as they are. Spoken like a person who has a fat pension and life time health benefits, what a jerk.

Trump's messages Sunday morning drew skepticism from some Republicans such as Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, who have generally favored a hands-off approach to the economy.

www.washingtonpost.com... term=.df31fb4c369b

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ben Sasse wants to keep this as they are. Spoken like a person who has a fat pension and life time health benefits, what a jerk.

Establishment Republicans are just as bad as Democrats. Sadly, if you are pro-America you are automatically dubbed a supporter of Republicans when I simply support America and individual liberty.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Import tariffs are a slippery slope, there is nothing to stop the other country in question from doing the same.

I think a lower corporate tax and individual trade agreements would be a better option.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Import tariffs are a slippery slope, there is nothing to stop the other country in question from doing the same.

Except as a country we are 100-1 net importer so there is very little tariffs can do to hurt us right now

Can you imagine how China would win that war with the U.S.? All we do is import their junk while they have serious barriers to entry for American companies.

Time to rebuild America and get back to a point where we even export anything again before this becomes a concern for us.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I hear you, I don't belong to any of their stupid clubs. I am not 12 and don't need a secret hand shake or a no girls allowed sign on the club house door. Screw 'em.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Maybe he will finally get rid of those unnecessary things like the minimum wage and child labor laws. Let's face it if a kid can push buttons on a controller then he can do the same thing on a assembly line. Welcome to the corporatocracy your multinational foreign owned corporations will run this nation now. And Trump supporters were crying about Hillary and the NWO.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Except as a country we are 100-1 net importer so there is very little tariffs can do to hurt us right now

Are you referring to Mexico? They are our 2nd largest export partner after Canada.

Can you imagine how China would win that war with the U.S.? All we do is import their junk while they have serious barriers to entry for American companies.

They are our 3rd largest export partner.

We need these countries as much as they need us. Can we have better individual trade deals? Certainly. But I think tariffs can be short sighted and can also lead to trade wars.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Time to rebuild America and get back to a point where we even export anything again before this becomes a concern for us.

So where is the money going to come from if he cuts taxes? He wants tax cuts for companies (real shocker) and cut taxes for the wealthy so where is the money going to come from? Does he have the magic money fairy on speed dial?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Trumps buddy Newt agrees, child labor laws suck.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

As far as I can tell this is only for companies that are moving out of the country and bringing stuff back in to sell to the people they fired.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Trickle down, it works every time it's tried. /sarc

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

So where is the money going to come from if he cuts taxes? He wants tax cuts for companies (real shocker) and cut taxes for the wealthy so where is the money going to come from? Does he have the magic money fairy on speed dial?

From a larger tax base from people actually working again.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
How is there going to be an increased work force?

Please give me a source where cutting taxes on large corps create huge numbers of jobs.

This reminds me of the goat screw TARP that is still sitting in some vault some where.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Not paying benefits to illegal immigrants will be a good start.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If a company has a 1000employees making 50,000 that is 500,000,000 dollars of taxable income. If they move to mexico they get 0 dollars of taxable income

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
As far as I can tell this is only for companies that are moving out of the country and bringing stuff back in to sell to the people they fired.

It still creates a potential trade war scenario where one country's exports, regardless of how granular it is, are under a trade tariff.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
If a company has a 1000employees making 50,000 that is 500,000,000 dollars of taxable income. If they move to mexico they get 0 dollars of taxable income

It is $50,000,000, not $500,000,000.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oops your right, still infinitley bigger than 0. I just woke up apologies.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
Oops your right, still infinitley bigger than 0. I just woke up apologies.

Now worries, and you are right, some of something is usually better than all of nothing.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Notice anything about the state of your pay with the graph? You seem to be listening to the wealthy side of the tariff talks, not the worker side.

Here is where the money is going.

And then there is the debt.

And this graph tells you where all the gains in productivity is going, not to you or me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join