It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic mushroom chemical psilocybin could be key to treating depression - studies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Very interesting article at the Guardian, but sourced from the Journal of Psychotherapy suggesting that psylocibin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms may have benefits in treating depression.

www.theguardian.com...

A single dose of psilocybin, the active ingredient of magic mushrooms, can lift the anxiety and depression experienced by people with advanced cancer for six months or even longer, two new studies show. Researchers involved in the two trials in the United States say the results are remarkable.

The volunteers had “profoundly meaningful and spiritual experiences” which made most of them rethink life and death, ended their despair and brought about lasting improvement in the quality of their lives.

The medical research seems to be pushing into areas that were previously off limits due to the scheduling of certain chemical compounds, and their beneficial properties brings into question the bans on research which went before.

The main findings of the NYU study, which involved 29 patients, and the larger one from Johns Hopkins University with 51 patients, that a single dose of the medication can lead to immediate reduction in the depression and anxiety caused by cancer and that the effect can last up to eight months, “is unprecedented,” said Ross. “We don’t have anything like it.”

Good stuff, which seems to encourage new ways of thinking in patients.

Ross said psilocybin activates a sub-type of serotonin receptor in the brain. “Our brains are hard-wired to have these kinds of experiences - these alterations of consciousness. We have endogenous chemicals in our brain. We have a little system that, when you tickle it, it produces these altered states that have been described as spiritual states, mystical states in different religious branches.

“They are defined by a sense of oneness – people feel that their separation between the personal ego and the outside world is sort of dissolved and they feel that they are part of some continuous energy or consciousness in the universe. Patients can feel sort of transported to a different dimension of reality, sort of like a waking dream.”

Much more research needs to be done, he writes. “But the key point is that all agree we are now in an exciting new phase of psychedelic psychopharmacology that needs to be encouraged not impeded.”

Indeed! In my own opinion, anything which aids those with depression, especially those with terminal diseases should be encouraged, given the correct clinical trials.

Here is hoping some practical medical science which can be utilised will come out of this.

edit on 1-12-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

This is encouraging news. I love to see this kind of progress being made in thinking on these subjects. I won't comment any further as far as personal experience, etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

Yes, I think it is useful to talk about the studies, but to avoid any discussion of personal use of any illegal substances, as per the ATS terms and conditions.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Oh, for cancer victims. I was gonna say, don't take shrooms when you are depressed.

Nothing wrong with a little spiritual enlightenment. But why just for the dying?

Patients can feel sort of transported to a different dimension of reality, sort of like a waking dream.

I can attest to that, done some my own 'research'. Its true, stripping away the facade, thats why they call it a 'trip'.

people feel that their separation between the personal ego and the outside world is sort of dissolved and they feel that they are part of some continuous energy or consciousness in the universe.

Seeing our true selves from outside could benefit a lot of people nowadays.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've read that the thing about psilocybin that helps dying people with depression is how it takes you out of yourself, and shows you that you aren't just your physical body. That could be immensely helpful to someone experiencing fear of death. Whether what you experience beyond your subjective experience is real or not.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Sorry to be off topic, but if the Mods don't trash your thread, I have a rather large and amazing thread that I've already created and was told (by Mod consensus, I think), that I was unable to post it. I didn't want to risk posting it and it getting trashed, so I asked permission. It was about some "mind-blowing" research that had been conducted and had nothing to do with lifestyle or usage. Regardless, I'm glad that you've decided to risk sharing this with us.

Space isn't the final frontier, the mind is.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Could you link to the research source(s)?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
For further reading, this is an excellent and more in-depth article.

www.nytimes.com...

The studies, by researchers at New York University, with 29 patients, and at Johns Hopkins University, with 51, were released concurrently in The Journal of Psychopharmacology. They proceeded after arduous review by regulators and are the largest and most meticulous among a handful of trials to explore the possible therapeutic benefit of psilocybin.

Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, a past president of the American Psychiatric Association, and Dr. Daniel Shalev of the New York State Psychiatric Institute are among leaders in psychiatry, addiction medicine and palliative care who endorsed the work.

The studies, they wrote, are “a model for revisiting criminalized compounds of interest in a safe, ethical way.” If research restrictions could be eased, they continued, “there is much potential for new scientific insights and clinical applications.”

A few fascinating testimonies at the NY Times link, well worth the read.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

I won't comment any further as far as personal experience, etc.

Ummm...me either...other than to state that empirical evidence suggests that smiling and copious laughter...usually follows consumption...
Erm...or at least...so I've learned...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
about 3 years ago or so was the first time a read about a study showing that psilocybin gives a sort of positivity boost and open-mindedness for up to a year after a single use. Now looking back on my personal experiences I can definitely agree that this is true and psilocybin has lasting positive affect on your personality and outlook on the world

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
i think for the benefit of my fellow humans that suffer from depression i will be first in line for the clinical trials

anything i can do to help

all joking aside. i hope they do look into this. depression sucks. if this helps then im all for it

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
All I can say is....

I'm not depressed anymore. At one time I couldn't even leave my house, talk on the phone, anything.....and I didn't think anything was wrong.

edit on 1-12-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
All I can say is....

I'm not depressed anymore. At one time I couldn't even leave my house, talk on the phone, anything.....and I didn't think anything was wrong.

been there
its terrible
some people can not possibly understand if they have not suffered from it or seen what it can do to a loved one.
anything that helps is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Do you attribute the improvement to the same therapy cited in the source?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Some people microdose magic mushrooms with very postive effects for depression. Nice to attitiudes towards herbs and fungi are changing. Many plants medicines are very effective.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I will state right now that I am a consenting test subject. Where do I sign?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have no doubts that this is true.... couple it with a knowledgeable and trained therapist, you could clear depression in one or two sessions. How do I know? Well... due to these messed up TOS I can't share why I KNOW it for a fact...

Psilocybin should be made legal even much faster than Marijuana. You litterally can't OD on psilocybin.

Worst case scenario is that you push your limits too fast for you to adjust, but that is what the therapist is for.

I would not recommend anyone go shrooming without knowing exactly what it does to you.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Oh, for cancer victims. I was gonna say, don't take shrooms when you are depressed.

Nothing wrong with a little spiritual enlightenment. But why just for the dying?

Patients can feel sort of transported to a different dimension of reality, sort of like a waking dream.

I can attest to that, done some my own 'research'. Its true, stripping away the facade, thats why they call it a 'trip'.

people feel that their separation between the personal ego and the outside world is sort of dissolved and they feel that they are part of some continuous energy or consciousness in the universe.

Seeing our true selves from outside could benefit a lot of people nowadays.

You should look up David Nutt's studies. They found that a depressed mind is overcommunicative and what psilocybin does when it's converted in your body is that it shuts down that communcation to a more healthy level.

Some studies have even found that psilocybin can cause neurogenesis, hypothasizing that it could also serve as a treatment for alzheimers or dementia in general. Atleast as a way to slow down the progress of the disease.

As for usage amongst patients. I think it should be made legal for terminally ill patients as soon as possible due to the fact that the substance has the ability to elevate you to a state where you feel like you are one with everything (litterally). The best case scenario being, if the patients mindset is willing, that you completely remove fear of death.

Imagine flowing down a vast silvery black river towards a waterfall to who knows where, and all you feel is.... bliss, peace, balance.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

After marijuana is legalized, hallucinogens like mushrooms and acid will be next. All of them were made illegal for the wrong reasons.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join