It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Magic mushroom chemical psilocybin could be key to treating depression - studies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am a bit curious how you could bypass the anxiety and possible panic attacks that can occur during the "come up" phase of taking psilocybin?

I get how magic mushrooms can help but I know they can induce really bad anxiety pretty easily as well. Which would be counterproductive to treating depression.

I wonder how taking small amounts of benzos to counteract potential anxiety would work out? And if that would interfere with the therapeutic trip?

edit on 1-12-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Read this in the paper today. It's about goddamn time!

Many therapists were already reporting these benefits decades ago, but most had to do it under the radar. One that I know of had permission to experiment with psychedelics, and the results spoke for themselves. So "the authorities" have known about this for a long time but still decided to ban it. Think of all the people that could have been helped but instead were left to die miserably.

Psilocybin is a gift from nature. Anyone trying to ban it has a God-complex.

There are many benefits besides treating depression. They aren't called magic mushrooms for nothing. Other molecules, similar to psilocybin, can treat even more ills.

soulwaxer

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

This is interesting thanks for posting.

I will say though, that this would i'm sure undoubtedly work far better for Depression.
edit on 1-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The more humanity abuses themselves by thinking they can pervert natural compounds, the more they will suffer. I was beat up alot as a kid, severe depression. Anger issues. Today I'm happy, no depression ..why? Well, the subject of this thread.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Yep, amazing things happen when you get a glimpse of the 4th dimension.

I suspect similar outcomes from dimethyltriptamine therapy.
edit on 1-12-2016 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I've read that you can start out with a small dose and as you start to come up you take more and you don't get the same level of anxiety. I've tried it and it worked, however, I did have some anxiety a little later on in the evening, mostly due to outside influences...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Yeah, I get that, though mostly I just feel more in tune with the rest of creation and not so alone, not a lot of laughing. That's a good thing since I've spent a great deal of my life feeling rather alienated because of some other substances I fooled around with way way back in the day.

edit on 12/1/2016 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer
a reply to: olaru12

Do you attribute the improvement to the same therapy cited in the source?

Yes, and going all in for the shamanic path.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I like that the article memtions the overall mechanism of action within the brain relative to most kinds of exogenous "psychadelic" chemicals.

i know someone who underwent a completely legal ketamine treatment for depression.
i heard a recent podcast with a Dr. discussing his work with microdosing '___' for treatment of depression.

The wider hypothesis would seem to be then; Do any of these psychadelic experiences work to treat depression regardless of which chemical induces the state?

And then furthermore, is this what is wrong with our culture is a lack of reverance for these experiences? Or perphaps is there something wrong with western culture that makes this medicine and its ego dissolving effects that much more useful and effective than would be the case for a more harmonious less stressful way of life?

A bit of "chicken or the egg" going on here...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Nice and well brave of the MSM to share these study. Hopefully the studies will gain further interest in the medical world, hopefully as in the Big Pharma may not be too happy.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Sorry to be off topic, but if the Mods don't trash your thread, I have a rather large and amazing thread that I've already created and was told (by Mod consensus, I think), that I was unable to post it. I didn't want to risk posting it and it getting trashed, so I asked permission. It was about some "mind-blowing" research that had been conducted and had nothing to do with lifestyle or usage. Regardless, I'm glad that you've decided to risk sharing this with us.

Space isn't the final frontier, the mind is.

This isn't about illegal "drugs" this is about something that can ease pain and suffering in this world and I for one would love to see your thread.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

Psilocybin gets metabolized into psilocin, which is structurally identical to dimethyltryptamine with the difference of one hydroxyl group (OH).

I'd suppose dimethyltryptamine is the natural neurotransmitter that tunes us to higher dimensional perception, whereas psilocin (mushrooms) gives us an artificial glimpse of what such an existence would be like.
edit on 2-12-2016 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
After marijuana is legalized, hallucinogens like mushrooms and acid will be next. All of them were made illegal for the wrong reasons.

Because black people were using them.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Saving this for later read

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I knew there was something I liked about your posts.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
I am a bit curious how you could bypass the anxiety and possible panic attacks that can occur during the "come up" phase of taking psilocybin?

I get how magic mushrooms can help but I know they can induce really bad anxiety pretty easily as well. Which would be counterproductive to treating depression.

I wonder how taking small amounts of benzos to counteract potential anxiety would work out? And if that would interfere with the therapeutic trip?

With the majority of illegal drugs, the anxiety arises mainly because of that illegality, not the effects of the drugs themselves.

A drummed in fear of being caught and punished for expressing and practicing your own medicinal regime, can be a powerful anxiety trigger.

If the illegality was removed, so too, would most of the anxiety associated with it.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

Yep, amazing things happen when you get a glimpse of the 4th dimension.

Therapy hehe...try generating it from within at high levels...far beyond all else....

5th dimension at least

edit on 3-12-2016 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Eat me. lol

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Having experienced a few come downs after taking mushrooms as a kid, I'm not sure how the paranoia and depression that always accompanied them would help...

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Sure you're talking about mushrooms?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join