It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get involved in the world's biggest quantum physics experiment happening right now

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This was an interesting read. Guess I'll stumble down the hallways of curiosity and see more of what this is all about. Though, I figured many folks here might be interested in doing the same.

For Science!

What could be the world's largest quantum physics experiment is happening today, 30 November 2016, and researchers need people from all over the world to get involved by helping them test the laws of quantum mechanics.

The experiment, run by 12 different labs around the world, will test Albert Einstein's idea of local realism - one of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. All you have to do to help out is play a bunch of online games for science.

So, what will all your gaming efforts achieve? Basically, local realism is an attempt to overcome what Einstein referred to as "spooky action at a distance".

So what's it all about anyways?

In quantum mechanics, there are two things to keep in mind. First, particles don't have a distinct value until they're measured. And secondly, when two particles are entangled, one of them will immediately affect its entangled partner, no matter how physically far apart they are.

Einstein didn't like that, because, in theory, it seems to violate the speed of light - hence the "spooky action" quote.

So he came up with the idea of local realism, which assumes that a particle must objectively have a pre-existing value for any possible measurement - and that way, information doesn't actually travel between two entangled particles faster than the speed of light.

Since then, researchers have come up with a test to measure whether or not information is actually travelling between entangled particles, known as the Bell inequality test.

And if it's violated in actual experiments, it implies that quantum mechanics violates either locality or realism, and the idea of local realism (and Einstein's hypothesis) therefore cannot be correct.

Several experiments over the past few years have reportedly violated Bell's inequality - last year, the first Bell's inequality experiment was completed without loopholes, but there's still dispute over whether or not local realism actually holds up.

The new worldwide experiment aims to settle the matter once and for all, by using a huge amount of random, user-generated data to test Bell's inequality.

So Game On!

More from the Source

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Strike, 50 unpredictable.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Flag and star this folks....SCIENCE!!!!!

can i suggest not to use your pointing or index finger when playing...it adds to making it more unpredictable when you use your pinky fingers to type the 0 and 1
edit on 30-11-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Can´t get over 18 in the last oracle test, but I admit I cheated one round to test out my randomizer and it failed misserably on the fast pressing 1 0 part.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

arggghhhh...last test can't break 17....very frustrating

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Cool, my favorite subject. Playing now.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Randomly hitting 1's and 0's is pretty damn hard.
edit on 2016-11-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It really is...sometimes it helps to close our eyes to make it more random

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I was thinking maybe I would have a few drinks. In the name of science of course.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

-try hitting both buttons at once and let the SendKey decide

-use the numpad 0 and 1 and then with the other hand, randomly hit additional 1/0.
-the oracle (if I don´t play against another player, who knows) can be trained the first 10 hits and then you can rip it off after it settled on a pattern. This got me to 19 already but I can´t break through the 20, as chrismarco wrote, very frustrating and it´s already nearly 8pm here.

Edit: It seems the algorithm also takes into account the intervalls you hit the buttons. So be as random there as possible, too.
edit on 30-11-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

So he came up with the idea of local realism, which assumes that a particle must objectively have a pre-existing value for any possible measurement - and that way, information doesn't actually travel between two entangled particles faster than the speed of light.

Since then, researchers have come up with a test to measure whether or not information is actually travelling between entangled particles, known as the Bell inequality test.

Yes, IMO there is a basic 'vibration' that sets up the existence & type of the 2 particles that does not involve travelling the distance between them.

Not sure if i'm playing that game, you lot might all commit suicide tomorrow as part of some gubmint experiment!

I'll stick to virtual pinball, that's random enough

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

What worked for me was to use both the numbers at the top of the keyboard and on the num pad (not a good solution if you have small hands) and to blank my mind and just press furiously.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Games. What a terribly boring way to do science.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Games. What a terribly boring way to do science.

Well that explains your reculsiveness

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

That´s what I started to do, but on the top row of the keyboard, only choosing 1 or 0 in random intervals so you get an uneven amount of keys (3) and split the distribution 1/3 to 2/3 randomly over the 1/0. This should raise your unpredictable factor by 33.3, if you don´t get a pattern in changing the third key.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

It kept saying I wasn't random enough. Oh well!

Edit: There we go, just jam out a drum solo in the style of Keith Moon. High score!

edit on 30-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So far my highest score for ones and zeros is 38 and my high score with the oracle is 12 out of 21.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

lol I know right?

I still can't get past the last stage!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I still can't get past the last stage!

I had an oracle that selected 1 (the white bit) EVERY time and I still lost

*throws keyboard at the monitor*

Edit: Finally got that f****er!! 20/20 right at the buzzer

edit on 30-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Perfect. This is what ive been waiting for.

I'm going to make a post about mirror neurons, psychic abilities and experiences, and synchronicity with regard to quantum entanglement and spooky action. Muahahaha.
edit on 30-11-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join