It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to live forever?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm going to have to say without my youth, living forever may not be worth it. I can bounce back from tragedy easier with myh youhtfull mind.

The only circumstance I would want to die in is disability beyond repair, brain damage, brutally disfigured, (hey what's life without GOOD social interaction)

I guess I would also want permanently good health, with no impairments too.

Last but not least, I'd want to die if existance ended as well. I would not want to be alone forever.

Not to be forgotten, the afterlife. If it is anything like a happy be with friends and family afterlife, I might want to go there eventually, but not anytime soon.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
That, and about half the time this place sucks!

Yep. I'm looking forward to getting the heck off this rock and
moving on ...why the heck would anyone want to live forever here?
YUK!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well, a few hundred years would be nice, but I'd think after a while, it's time to check out...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Never! I think you would go stark raving mad after about 200 years.
The body may not age, but the mind? No thanks, dont want to be an immortal whack job!

Mind you, aged homes would make a killing!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Never! I think you would go stark raving mad after about 200 years.
The body may not age, but the mind? No thanks, dont want to be an immortal whack job!

Mind you, aged homes would make a killing!

I agree, what the hell would you do after so long. I mean, people are not that great. And even if you wanted to explore everthing how long would that really take. I think you would go absolutely crazy after a certian period of time. Forget it. Kill me if I have to live that long

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Instar why do you assume the brain will keep aging? It's still made up of the same stuff the rest of the body is so it should be just as 'easy' to immortalize the brain as the rest of the body. I myself would probably not want to live forever but a few hundred years? YES! DEFINETLY! There is so much to see and to do and explore that I would probably just take a decade to decide what I wanted to do with my first 100 years

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
do you imagine 2000 years with Bush at White House?

I would like to be eternal to see the end of the universe, to travel in space... ect...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't be all that interested in immortality but extending my life by an order of magnitude would be cool, as long as my body was still fully functional. Naturally I would only be up for that if it was available to all my friends etc. Society would change to accommodate this - it has already adapted to a tripling of life expectancy.

It would be good to take off five years, travel, hangout, start an entirely new career, then work for another 20-30 years and do it all again. It would also mean that space travel would be a lot more feasible - currently a 10 year round trip takes out 1/6 of your useful lifetime (20-80) but if it was much less of a proportion it would make it a more attractive and feasible option. So yeah - bring it on, baby!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Living forever would be great, in a few ways. I'd love to see the future. Today's fiction is tomorrow's fact it seems like, and I'd love to see some fiction come true. It would be amazing but, there is only so many things to do. Living forever is like moving to a Tourist city. It's great for a little while but then you do it all, and it sucks. Same goes with immortality. After awhile, you do everything then nothing is left, and then you want to move.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
space and time never ends
how could you get bored? I would love to live forever. But there can only be one. haha

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
dammit tahlen, you beat me to it!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Oh my, i can't think of anything more fantastic than eternal life!!!
Just keep on learning, inventing, exploring..... with entropy battling you all the way;
You would never get bored.
Eventually you would understand Life and Death.
Eventually you would understand all things.
Eventually you would transcend.
That elixir is an odds-on bet to god-head.
Who wouldn't want that???????

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
its not possible for us to live forever eventually somthing will kill us maybe not old age but somthing that we cant escape like a blackhole so yes i would like to never die of old age

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Instar why do you assume the brain will keep aging? It's still made up of the same stuff the rest of the body is so it should be just as 'easy' to immortalize the brain as the rest of the body. I myself would probably not want to live forever but a few hundred years? YES! DEFINETLY! There is so much to see and to do and explore that I would probably just take a decade to decide what I wanted to do with my first 100 years

Your assuming the brain and the mind are the same thing. They may not be. Think about it!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion
Oh my, i can't think of anything more fantastic than eternal life!!!
Just keep on learning, inventing, exploring..... with entropy battling you all the way;
You would never get bored.
Eventually you would understand Life and Death.
Eventually you would understand all things.
Eventually you would transcend.
That elixir is an odds-on bet to god-head.
Who wouldn't want that???????

Transcend...

I agree with you on that part...that's logically true.

The more the mind experiences the more it will grow...eventually the physical body would have compensate for the advancement of the Mind...

'I think therefore I am'...quote by Rene Descartes

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Didn't Descartes change that to "I think, therefore something is" shortly before his death?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Lets take this linearly.
Supposing i was stuck at say, 35 years old, and time and tide slip past in the usual fashion.
We can take for granted i would be upset for the next 1 - 500 years, about all my friends and familly dying on me. Of course, over time i would learn to cope and understand.
But also i would have my progeny around me. My childrens childrens children etc. Of course, i would probably be wary of committing my heart to a certain heartbreak, but i think we would all still seek companionship.
But lets say, for the sake of the argument, that i become fed up with entropy taking my loved ones away.
I have infinite time to work out how i can either slow down their aging, or recess it completely, havent i??
Other food for thought is, how you would interact with the rest of humanity. Because surely it would become known that your eternal. Even if you kept it secret for a few millenia, at some point you would have to drop it on people.
How would people react to you?
Would they worship you, would they shun you, would they lock you up out the way somewhere, would they try to manipulate you?
Even if they locked you in a lead coffin, and buried you under the sea, you would get bored and start exploring meditation, even projection. Who knows what!
But even in a huge time frame, that coffin will rot.
what is scary is, what if the universe started collapsing before you had acieved transcendance. What would you do if the universe just headed back to that original point, and your left floating around in pitch black?
I guess the only thing you could do is either work out how to create a new universe, or work out how to kill yourself

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hmmmm
maybe a new, different universe would appear, and you get to watch the lot, from start to end!
and again....and again.....and again......
that would be a trip!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is a no brainer for me.. sign me the **** up.. after the first 100 years I would probably have amassed enough of a fortune to never need to work again, and it would give me time to explore all the ideas I have for inventions and such...

This seems like a no-brainer.. plus if I ever decided I had truly had enough I could just step inside a big room with a couple tons of TNT

Although I don't think I would want to age much past 30ish...

Osiris

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It seems to me that everyone who would like immortality are making overly optimistic assumptions about the future.

Just supposs mankind and the state of the world regresses instead of progresses. At the moment I could see it going either way.

So those of you who chose immortality if it were an option, do you take it no matter what? What if we blow ourselves into the stone age instead of advancing into space? Is the longevity still worth it?

Personally, I am one of those who honestly believe the next world has got to be better than this world now, and infinitely better than we can imagine compared to no matter what advances occur in this realm in the future (if in fact they do).

So no, immortality is not one of the things I would ever seek. Not aging physically or mentally beyond the point I am at now would be enticing, but then again, not at the expense of not progressing personally and I do think that would be a concern.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join