It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUMOUR : CD Projekt may be preparing to defend against a hostile takeover by EA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The report in Polish media tells of an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders called for the end of this month in which CD Projekt will put forward proposals to restructure the ownership in the company , a move which is seen as a way to protect the company from an impending hostile takeover , most likely from EA who have been sniffing around for a while now.

As explained by the management, the aim is to protect and ensure respect for the interests of all shareholders in the event of potential emergence of a major investor, who would not want to suggest a fair price. The question is whether this is a hypothetical situation, or whether the investor is already on the horizon. The market did not make it any information concerning attempts to seize the CD Project. Although there is no doubt that after the huge success of "The Witcher 3", the company found itself in orbit interests of investors and financial industry.
www.rp.pl...-1

It's no secret that I hold CD Projekt in the highest regard , the thought of the studio being absorbed into the EA crap factory fills me with horror.
The sharks are circling , good luck CD Projekt.

edit on 5-11-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If EA takes them over. They'll die the same way BioWare has.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Please no...I don't want EA getting their dirty stupid pig hands on Cyberpunk 2020.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

EA is garbage! Yea, they occasionally come out with a decent game but they could care less about those who play their games, it's all about raking in the money!

The best games I play are from small Indi developers, like 7 Days 2 Die, (Fun Pimps) and Empyrion, (Elion Game Studios). They actually seem to listen to those who play their games and actually put forth an effort to improve on the issues their followers care about....

EA could give a toss less.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Worst news ever!!!!

EA needs to stay away. CD Projekt is one of the best developers around. EA is the worst.

Doesn't CD own GOG? Or would that not be included in the takeover?

Does anyone think EA would want to keep around DRM free games?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This note was included with every copy of The Witcher 3.

EA's business model is, in my experience and opinion at least, the antithesis of that ethic. I don't think EA is "the worst company in the world" by any stretch, but they have a history of absorbing beloved studios, and then applying their aggressive paid DLC and microtransaction model to their IPs.

They also turned Sim City - a beloved staple of PC gaming - into an online-only game that felt and played nothing like its predecessors. They did eventually make the game playable offline (which it should have been in single player from the outset at least in my view,) but the modular, specialized "city" design of the game, which was created to encourage social play and cooperation with other players (compromising the freedom and sprawling nature of previous games for those interested solely in single player,) meant that the game itself was fundamentally unlike prior installments. At least by my standards.

Needless to say, this is just about the worst thing I could think of happening to CDPR, other than them going completely out of business of course.

Peace.

ETA: Good point above, too. They do own GoG, which is well known for DRM-free digital distribution. Something EA would likely not retain.
edit on 11/5/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

That's a good point , GOG is probably the cherry that EA are chasing.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Bf1 is awesome but ea likes to gouge money for better guns etc althougj peple will spend hundreds for a 3.5 hour football game and balk at 100 bucks for hundreds of hours of gametime.oh well ea take my bf1 moneies

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Oh crap, please no! So far EA has ruined every single studio they bought, turning them into a pile of dung while sucking the last cent out of them.
Quite frankly I don't have the slightest clue why people even buy any of the games they produce these days, unless maybe they are on sale for 5 bucks or below.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

I forgot that they also killed The Sims franchise.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I just starred every post (and S&Fed the OP) . I think I will continue doing so the rest of the night. My gaming experience goes back to the late 70s , I have finished more games than most people have ever seen. I have 10x that amount I never finished , yet played.
The very first Witcher wowed me. That is a near impossibility with me. Witcher 2 impressed me even more. Witcher 3 blew me outta my socks.
Lets hope this is not true , or can be defeated.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Bioware isn't dead yet, but EA's push for them to move from the RPG genre, which defines what made Bioware, to more action oriented games doesn't bode well in my personal opinion.
edit on 10-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join