It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the moons phase change the way we act ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have always wondered this and Im sure I speak for alot of people that might have wondered this too. Ive noticied that, the way the moon is "shaped" by that I mean crescent, full, quarter and so fourth. Ive noticed that some people act different as the moon goes through these phases. I wouldnt and couldnt be the one to make up a philosophy about this and how us as humans interact with the moon. But it seems pretty interesting to wonder if this really is true.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Astrologists will try to say that it does, but there's no scientific proof of a constant emotional/mental change as far as I know.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Scientific proof or not, In the health care field full moons are the WORST nights. Not sure why though

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
First off, that is bull that in the health care field full moons are bad...Go do some simple research online and youll see that you are wrong. 10 full moons could go by as normal, but one night with a full moon goes over the edge...and here you are screaming mysticism.

Now, on topic, a full moon may actually cause people to act weird. Not because of any freeky powers of the moon. Rather, the human mind playing tricks on us. Sometimes in the same way described above, but mostly because superstitious people expect it. When you expect, you can create. Create your own destiny......because of your own insanity.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is always a dangerous thing to do, but I'm going to quote a personal source y'all can't back up or check yourselves, but it's fairly mundane. My dad was a firefighter for 27 years before falling through a roof and second story floor, herniating 3 discs and having to retire because of it. In his 25 years of service (2 were spent behind a desk after the injury), he said the crazies came out en masse on full moons. He would tell stories about some wack job or another, but consistantly on full moons they would have several calls with some real nuts being there. He said it seemed like every full moon, the paramedics and cops were uber busy.

Personally, I've not noticed a difference except for with that werewolf that attacked me and my mates in London. But that's another story.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

First off, that is bull that in the health care field full moons are bad...Go do some simple research online and youll see that you are wrong. 10 full moons could go by as normal, but one night with a full moon goes over the edge...and here you are screaming mysticism.

Actually FredT is right on, my cousin is a Nurse and when she was over for the Holidays she said the exact same thing. Full Moons are thier bussiest days(btw She was an ER nurse so....)

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Scientific proof or not, In the health care field full moons are the WORST nights. Not sure why though

I was going to mention this. My mother is a doctor and she has always said the same thing and she has worked at many hospitals and clinics.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Agreed on the ER. Lots more action on full moon nights. How about menstruation? Women are on a 'moon cycle'; an old medicine woman I know says you can roll the calendar back to an exact date when menstrual cycles exactly synchronized with the moon (when the Moon was closer, long ago). A lot of Native calendars have 13 months for synchronizing menses and moons (PMS naturally synchs with the Moon).

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
My mom is a kindergarten teacher and she always complains about how crazy the kids act on full moons.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This has been discussed here before several times that I have seen...but the answer is yes, it does. The moon effects the tides, we are mostly water....so of course it would also effect us.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I've noticed being the booze hound that I am, the bars & night clubs are always busy on full moons, this leads to more alcohol consuption which probably leads to busy nights in the ER, hospital etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I totally agree with LadyV. Everyone knows that the moon affects the tides/waves. The human body is 70% water, so i think during full moons, people's hormones get affected thats what causes alot of change in people.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yes we are all affected by the seasonal variations of the moon.

The word lunatic is in fact derived from the word 'Luna', the latin word for the moon.

There are a multitude of stories and fables told about human reactions to the moon, and more specifically full moons. Take werewolves for example...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The gravity of the freeking moon affects tides...NOT THE PHASES PEOPLE!!!! The gravity of the moon is the same every freeking day and it does not change!!!!! Only the moons position relative to the seas.

UGHHHHHHH!!!

When it is a full moon, all that means is that more light is reflecting off of it towards the earth.... for those who do not understand.

Lord help everyone who listened to that insane correlation between tides and moon phasing. Moon phasing is based on light. Tides are based on gravity.

Again, go ahead and look for accident statistics. Friday and saturday nights are the busiest in hospitals. Holidays are as well. Full moons on occasion fall on a busy night. Immediatly ill informed people respond by saying it as a result of moon phasing. Even though 5 full moons can pass with no abnormal instance. It is due to people refusing to question. Please stop the LUNACY! HAHA

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
The gravity of the freeking moon affects tides...NOT THE PHASES PEOPLE!!!! The gravity of the moon is the same every freeking day and it does not change!!!!! Only the moons position relative to the seas.

UGHHHHHHH!!!

When it is a full moon, all that means is that more light is reflecting off of it towards the earth.... for those who do not understand.

Lord help everyone who listened to that insane correlation between tides and moon phasing. Moon phasing is based on light. Tides are based on gravity.

Again, go ahead and look for accident statistics. Friday and saturday nights are the busiest in hospitals. Holidays are as well. Full moons on occasion fall on a busy night. Immediatly ill informed people respond by saying it as a result of moon phasing. Even though 5 full moons can pass with no abnormal instance. It is due to people refusing to question. Please stop the LUNACY! HAHA

Yes, but doesn't the amount of light reflected off the moon have to do with its position?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by slink
Yes, but doesn't the amount of light reflected off the moon have to do with its position?

Yes, Full Moon means that the Earth is between the Sun and Moon, so the entire disk of the Moon can be illuminated and seen. When it's in a New Moon phase the Moon is between the Earth and Sun, so none of the illuminated part of the disk can be seen.

As for tides and whatnot saying that because people are most;y water we're affected: NO! The oceans are vast, billions upon billions upon billions of gallons of water. People are nothing at all compared to that.

As for menstral cycles, the menstral cycle of a human being 28 days and the Lunar cycle being 28 days makes no difference. For the Indian person, when the Moon was closer it would have been orbiting in less than 28 days. That's also before the times of humanity, if I'm thinking of this right. So that's a load of crap as well. Also, other animals don't have 28 day menstral cycles, so if this were actually based off the Moon, shouldn't they as well?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Absolutely the light reflected has to do with position. As Commander Keen says. The fact is though, that position is relative to where you are on earth. In other words, every individual is a different distance away from the moon at any given time. Gravity though, is not relative. Ever day, regardless of the moon phase, the moon will have its effect on the tides. The moon is not changing its size or relative distance from earth, so the gravity is as close to constant as you can get. Every day, we as humans would have to be affected by this.

After thinking hard about this over the last few hours I have decided that the only possible correlation is added light. In other words, people feel as if they are more in control with more light, even though it is still dark and hard to see. Hence, making for bad accidents, or poor judgements. That is about as far fetched though as they come.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

while you are correct, it should be noted that tides are highest when there is a full moon.

I spent two summers working in an emergency room and yes, things do get more hectic on a full moon. along with the usual increases in strange and/or vilent behavior, I, personally, grow a lot of hair, sprout huge teeth and claws and run around on all fours seeking out flesh.

E_T

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

After thinking hard about this over the last few hours I have decided that the only possible correlation is added light. In other words, people feel as if they are more in control with more light, even though it is still dark and hard to see. Hence, making for bad accidents, or poor judgements. That is about as far fetched though as they come.
Nice to see that there's still people who think with their own brains.

Last month STATS spoke with a reporter who was doing a story on the alleged increase in trauma cases at a local hospital during full moons. All the doctors and nurses she contacted assured her that the phenomenon was real. But when she cross-checked the hospital's own records against the lunar calendar of the previous year, she found that there had actually been fewer trauma admissions during full moon periods.

The doctors and nurses were perplexed. Maybe, they reflected, they had not personally experienced the full moon madness, but they had read about it somewhere in a medical journal. Of course, they couldn't remember which journal, because there had not been any such article. They no doubt heard the myth from co-workers at some point and, like Sgt. Lewin, accumulated some corroborating anecdotal evidence ("Boy, it's a busy night - and hey, there's a full moon!").
www.stats.org...

Why do so many of us think weird stuff happens when the moon is full? Because our memory is faulty. We look for patterns, and if we find one, it stays in our brain.

Shermer explained it this way: "We don't remember the unusual things that happen on all the other times, because we're not looking for them. These things go on all the time. And there's no full moon. … We remember the hits, we forget the misses."
abcnews.go.com...

For example, one study claimed that an unusual number of traffic accidents occurred during the evenings right around the full and new moons (Templer, Veleber, and Brooner, 1982). But later researchers showed that during the time period studied, a disproportionate number of full and new moons fell on weekends, when traffic accidents are always higher.

The tides are only noticeable in the oceans, where the vast distances act as a multiplier. Even so, tidal variation in most coastal areas seldom exceeds ten feet. In smaller bodies of water, such as lakes and presumably the human body, tides are negligible.
Besides, when it comes to exerting any influence on humankind, the moon has a lot of competition. Researchers have calculated that a mother holding her baby exerts 12 million times the tide-raising force on the child that the moon does, simply by virtue of being closer.

Another thing to remember is that the tides don't occur just once or twice a month; they occur once or twice a day.
www.straightdope.com...

www.eiu.edu...
skepdic.com...

Originally posted by Crakeur
I, personally, grow a lot of hair...
Like this?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
E_T, outstanding information to prove that this is just a myth. Great work!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join