It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Now Blaming Obama For Its Embarrassing Override Of His Veto

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Regardless but maybe this is still a good thing...I don't see how the saudi's would pay regardless because they can easily give the FU to the United States but the bottom line here is that countries must be held accountable for crimes that include civilian casualties...drone strikes and the like have such horrible effects on the peaceful part of any population due to "collateral damage" that it becomes acceptable.

There is more to this than just countries getting sued...it's having to slow down the war machine and the corporations losing money..we can't assassinate leaders but we can kill children who just happen to be in a kill box..

It's the military industry that will suffer in the long run and god forbid...but we can continue with the proxy wars and arm rebels covertly and accept no responsibility such as we are doing now..

This is a good start to ending our continued effort to destabilize the middle east...

Oh yeah open that box!It would be a big one!

DU used in US munitions has 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium.[4] Trace transuranics (another indicator of the use of reprocessed material) have been reported to be present in some US tank armor.[4]
The use of DU in munitions is controversial because of concerns about potential long-term health effects.[5][6] Normal functioning of the kidney, brain, liver, heart, and numerous other systems can be affected by exposure to uranium, a toxic metal.[

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
actually, there is one possibility that no one is considering it seems...

what if the saudis come into court with enough documents to prove that the US gov't blackmailed the saudis in to laundering federal funds to pull off the job? then not only do we end up with a very, very angry populace, but a bunch of countersuits from the saudis against us. either that or a populace looking at a bunch of redacted documents, a jury who disappears, and well, facing countersuits from the saudis.

sometimes, what is moral, and what is good for the country runs counter to each other. and our previous gov't officials don't have squeeky clean souls themselves.. matter of fact, they have taken the world, as well as the american citizens for one heck of a ride through the sewers the past few decades or longer.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Typical emotional response...

Yeah..who gives a flying f*** about 9/11 victim families...the important thing is...that you dont get spanked.

Maybe you should run for presidency...we need such caring and "for the people" persons.

Oh wait...I forgot...you're getting one real soon.

Cigars for everybody !!!!

They have been compensated and compensated beyond any victim Families in the world! Their children have been given free schooling and charities have filled their pockets and most if not all were already insured!Does the Family of a dead breadwinner who is shot by a random killer receive this kind of compensation? What makes these victims so special?

November 8, 2004 - A report by the Rand Institute for Civil Justice finds that victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks received an average of $3.1 million per person, totaling $8.7 billion. About $38 billion in all is paid out by the government, charities and insurance companies. Insurance companies pay the most, covering 51%.

Statistics for VCF 2001-2003:
The fund received 7,408 claim submissions from 75 countries. Awards were made in 5,560 of those cases and totaled over $7 billion.
The fund received 2,963 death claims. This accounted for more than 98% of eligible families. Funds were distributed in 2,880 of these cases. The average award was $2,082,128 and went as high as $7.1 million.
The fund received 4,445 personal injury claims. Funds were distributed in 2,680 of these cases. The awards ranged from $500.00 to $8.6 million.
The money was tax-free.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

that would sure encourage our politicians against giving the President authority to bypass the constitution for illegally sanctioned undeclared wars now wouldn't it?? I am ok with removing that caveat.

Let me try this again.

Citizens win a judgement hopefully through the ICC or domestic courts. Because this is a terrorism case state sponsored, then a Sec. State or attorney general which is not bought by the Saudis makes the recommendation in congress for a motion to sanction Royal family members held accountable. At that point, the treasury department will seize the funds required, and base on the judgements ruled on by the courts, distribute the restitution to the victims of the family.

Lets be serious, there is a legal framework already in place to make this all possible. And if the people actually exert the same effort to navigate the pathways and discuss the possible ways to do it instead of cracking jokes or making excuses and defending terrorists who murdered 3000 American citizens, this could go through in a few years time.

Establishment trolls need not derail threads by cracking jokes on such a serious matters.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Good grief!! In the back of my mind I knew they had been amply compensated with money (which is what this world does) but had forgotten until reading your post.

Then what is this really about? It doesn't add up. Something isn't right with this whole scenario, or maybe I'm missing vital parts of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I read about this earlier. McConnell and co. really have no shame. Pond scum is more dignified than they are.

and what does that say about the voters that keep electing them.....must be that 50% of deplorables

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

I read about this earlier. McConnell and co. really have no shame. Pond scum is more dignified than they are.

and what does that say about the voters that keep electing them.....must be that 50% of deplorables

Are you a registered voter? if so that puts you in the deplorable basket too since all but 1 dem voted against.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here is a thought. Say they do sue, the suit is not stopped as the bill permits, they win and Saudi Arabia has to pay them beaucoup bucks. Do they give back the money that was given to them by the government?

I know 3 families that got almost $2,000,000 as settlements, does this have to be paid back?

ETA: I take that back, there is one that got well over $3,000,000 since he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald.

edit on 30-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon
Families of the victims already split the $7 BILLION from the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. On average they received $1.8 MILLION each. That considered, they already received compensation, and if they want to pursue legal action against the Saudis, they should reimburse the US government for what they already received. This isn't about justice for victims, this is about looking for another gravy train to ride now that most of them have greedily spent the millions and want more freebies.

Plus much much more from various sources.

received an average of just over $2 million tax-free per claim, according to Kenneth Feinberg, former pro bono administrator of the fund.

abcnews.go.com...

All told, a fireman’s widow would probably receive between $2 million and $3 million, sometimes more, much of it tax-free, plus their husband’s salary, also tax-free, for the rest of their lives, as well as any life insurance they’d purchased.

nymag.com...

Example really who owes them this? Why?

Still, Staten Island started to seem like a place of fancy new “widow cars,” as Char joked. Widows drove Mercedes SUVs and Jaguars and Infiniti SUVs. After her Tahoe fell apart, Char went car shopping with Madeline and Lisa. Madeline had already purchased a minivan, and Lisa an SUV. Char’s kids wanted an Escalade, a $50,000 car. Char bought it without even looking at it. She’d buy a spaceship if it put a smile on their faces.

nymag.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Good grief!! In the back of my mind I knew they had been amply compensated with money (which is what this world does) but had forgotten until reading your post.

Then what is this really about? It doesn't add up. Something isn't right with this whole scenario, or maybe I'm missing vital parts of it.

I feel just disgusted because there are so many victims that should be considered equal in every way to the 9/11 families. They received nothing .

I remember one 9/11 widow on the news who said "you owe me! You all owe me my husbands wages he would have made during his life!" I wanted to puke! I still do!

Wealth, though, made the widows a more complicated symbol of grief. Could you really be grief-stricken if you never had to work again? Some neighbors and relatives seemed to quiver with resentment. This was blood money; someone died for it. And now the widows were trading up cars, real estate? People inventoried the purchases, the trips, even the Christmas gifts. A relative complained to the Staten Island newspaper about the many expensive Xboxes under one widow’s Christmas tree. “Her kids were telling my kids all the people they’re going to give Xboxes to, but none to my kids,” she said. One dead fireman’s sister even went to court to protest how the widow was spending her money. This relative claimed the widow blew through $800,000 that was supposed to benefit the son.

The worst was when the plastic-surgery news got around. “Are those new?” somebody asked Tina in the supermarket, and pointed at her breasts.

“I feel like Jacqueline Onassis,” said one widow, thinking of how people had scrutinized that famous widow.

nymag.com...
edit on 30-9-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I'm a HUGE supporter of voting against the incumbent. I used to preach it all the time in the 2012 elections right here on ATS. How about you? Or do you just make check marks next the guy with the same party initial as the President?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Good to know my very first impression was correct.

That it was just really dumb.

You, Obama and the media are on the same page!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The Saudis truly are bad; the devil in the flesh to me, but the US can be sued by more countries than them with the world-wide destruction they’ve wrought.

Iraq, Libya, Syria, Ukraine, support for Israel and even 911 is an American government false flag the evidence illustrates.

Its the American people who constantly vote in these GOP fools

They have voted for their own destruction

they will get it

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is not unprecedented. Why is this different than when Congress voted to bypass the Foreign Sovereign Immunities act over Pan-Am 103?

I'll start by stating it's different because flight 103 took 270 lives that cost Iran 2.7 billion dollars for state sponsored terrorism and the Saudis haven't paid a dime except into Hillary Clinton's coffers. Maybe HRC should take all the money the Clinton Foundation received from Saudis and start compensating the victims while they wait.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Well here is a novel idea......dont go to forign countrys and trash them up.

Pretty simple eh?

Maybe if the wealth of the countrys elite are liable they wont be so eager for war?
edit on 30-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I don't think you truest understand the "can of worms"

Let's say a US Military member is conducting an operation, or a US drone strike(more likely currently) misses its target and kills a couple civilians or the soldier acting under orders enters a building believing that it houses enemy combatants but in the heat of the war/battle while he has to make a split second life or death decision shoots a civilian (it happens)

What we are saying is that it is ok for the citizen of one country to sue a member of the US military or the United States for the actions preformed while following orders.

It is a lose situation since America has a definite history of doing a lot of killing and if it ok for us to sue them, then it is ok for them to sue us

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: fatkid

Or take our military base in Okinawa, where a US soldier was recently convicted of rape...and not the first.

U.S. military personnel's movements restricted following rape accusation in Okinawa
www.cnn.com...

Right now that soldier will be tried by a U.S. Military Court..

Open US soldiers stationed in Okinawa to the Okinawan courts? If they are accused of something...just turn them over?

With this new bill, Okinawan courts could Sue the US Military for obstructing justicce, theoretically seize the base as collateral. Arrest commanders for interfering with local laws in not turning over suspects....Or the US Military could just hand over soldiers to local courts every-time a charge occurs.

It's a big can of worms.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

so? do you think that the Saudis owe us any form of civil allegiance?

If so, you might want to advise them as to the situation.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Stupid is as stupid says. I mean....stupid is as stupid does.....

or...what is the saying?

Oh, right...you can't fix stupid. And no, you can't.

You can send a youth to college, but you can't make them learn.

Unfortunately

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Are you a registered voter? if so that puts you in the deplorable basket too since all but 1 dem voted against.

who calls the shots in both houses of congress...nothing comes to a vote, unless the republican leadership says so.....they could have tabled it, and let it die in committee...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join