It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Now Blaming Obama For Its Embarrassing Override Of His Veto

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: jaws1975
We are talking about American courts and American families

I don't think you have the basic understanding of what this story is about. The new law says that citizens of our country can sue the government of other countries for acts of terrorism. To sue someone, all parties must meet in a court of law.

How to we force the Saudi government to come to the US and stand trial, according to OUR laws?

They will confiscate the wealth of Saudi citizens.

Yay, stealing citizens' money! That's not commie at all!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
RIght. and then? The US will confiscate the houses of the people who sued Saudi Arabia, in order to pay for the lawyers who tried the case....because then the Saudis will call in American debt payable at once...and there won't be enough money to pay them, so people will have to turn over their stuff to the "war effort".

Yeah ----

no thanks.

It's insanity. It's abject lunacy.
And that doesn't even touch on the petulence of the jejune schoolyard huddle that it represents. ISIS is already pissed off, man! You are talking about putting in the code for war. World war. Nuclear war.

And you want to give Trump the codes?????

OMG

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
They will confiscate the wealth of Saudi citizens.

"They" who? Lawyers? Are you seriously suggesting that lawyers go over to SA and start stealing stuff from SA citizens to pay for a lawsuit against their government??? Really? They're going to "confiscate" their wealth HOW???

I'm convinced that some of you don't understand this at all.
edit on 9/30/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
....because then the Saudis will call in American debt payable at once...

You cannot call in Treasury bonds.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well we can't.

It is not just Congress the Senate voted to override it too, 97-1 vote in the Senate and 348-77 in The House. Those people are not stupid, well IMO they are.... but I don't think they are dumb enough to cut their nose to spite their face, someone stands to profit from this. Now the question is Who?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhoDat09
...someone stands to profit from this. Now the question is Who?

Congress does. They look like they are helping the little guy when all they did was just a giant pander to the voter.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhoDat09

It is not just Congress the Senate voted to override it too, 97-1 vote in the Senate and 348-77 in The House. Those people are not stupid, well IMO they are....

"Congress" is the Senate and the House. And they are stupid. They should all be replaced, IMO.

but I don't think they are dumb enough to cut their nose to spite their face, someone stands to profit from this. Now the question is Who?

Congress did this for two reasons.

1. To appeal to the emotions of their constituents, so they can keep their votes and keep their jobs.
2. To say FU to Obama.

In other words, I'm going to have to conclude that they ARE dumb enough to cut off their nose to spite their face. They have just done it and are now regretting it. Where their nose used to be is a bloody hole and they're hurting from it. And, unless they correct their mistake, there's a world of hurt yet to come.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

They're going to "confiscate" their wealth HOW???

Seizure of assets after some financial sanctions comes to mind. Happens every year to foreign parties for various other reasons. i am fairly certain being held responsible, and even admitting to it qualifies for some kind of sanctions. After that, we just seize the assets of some members of the Royal family held in US accounts or territory and disperse the money to the victims.

It just takes some will, and for people to stop trying to defend and make excuses for admitted terrorists and terrorist sympathizers and it can all happen quite easily without too much violence. Although "unexplained explosions" at some of their palaces with dead relatives may help motivate them to just cut a check right off the bat too. Eye for an eye?? Maybe they lose control of one of their jets remotely and it accidentally plunges into one of their palaces? Wouldn't that be ironic.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Seizure of assets after some financial sanctions comes to mind.

OK. How are lawyers going to seize assets or impose sanctions? Remember - We're not talking about OUR GOVERNMENT suing SA, we're talking about our citizens. That means lawyers (who are also citizens) are their agents.

After that, we just seize the assets of some members of the Royal family held in US accounts or territory and disperse the money to the victims.

Again, how do you propose lawyers seize these assets?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You know what? I say we just carpet bomb Saudi Arabia with all our lawyers. We can even throw in some paralegal cluster bombs too for good measure. Let them all figure it out.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Then we sanction them. Are you telling me we can sanction Russia and Russian businessmen, but we can't sanction SA and the Saudi Arabians responsible for funding the terrorists that did 9/11?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You know what? I say we just carpet bomb Saudi Arabia with all our lawyers. We can even throw in some paralegal cluster bombs too for good measure. Let them all figure it out.

Are we talking the ones with parachutes or without? That's an important distinction that needs to be clear here, I think...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Sans chutes.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My favorite

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Then we sanction them.

WHO sanctions them? You don't understand. Citizens don't have the power to sanction other countries FFS! Sanctioning is a government action! Our government isn't involved in these lawsuits.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I say we just carpet bomb Saudi Arabia with all our lawyers. We can even throw in some paralegal cluster bombs too for good measure. Let them all figure it out.

Best idea yet! Parachutes or not, let's go for the "lawyer bombs"!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Then we sanction them.

WHO sanctions them? You don't understand. Citizens don't have the power to sanction other countries FFS! Sanctioning is a government action! Our government isn't involved in these lawsuits.

We start a strongly worded letter campaign. Duh.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Everyone once in awhile I have one. That does me for the rest of the year.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Then we sanction them. Are you telling me we can sanction Russia and Russian businessmen, but we can't sanction SA and the Saudi Arabians responsible for funding the terrorists that did 9/11?

Sanctions are government actions and not to mention a legal action. These are civil cases originating from private citizens. Ie lawsuits with monetary claims for stakes. A private citizen would not be able to level a sanction against another country with one of these lawsuits. Different type of court there. Please try again.
edit on 30-9-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

This bill has got to be the ONLY right thing the USA has done in the ME.

Most terrorism is exported from these barbarians.

About time we hit them.

The issue is reciprocation.

Now that US Private Citizens can sue Saudi's in US courts?...

Foreigners can sue and win judgments against US citizens in foreign courts.

So...say US soldier x is sued in a foreign court by a local family...and of course they win.

An outstanding judgment is placed on that soldiers assets. His 401k has an investment in Saudi Arabian based energy company? SIEZED...Money gone. He travels to country X with his family 5 years from now on vacation? Arrested at the airport.

Or more simply...Soldier X is stationed somewhere in the middle east and locally arrested.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., said Congress might have to fix the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA) to protect U.S. troops in particular.

He went on to list a series of letters by former CIA officials, national security advisors, and European attorneys warning about the potential impact of the bill.

www.nbcnews.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join