It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you get to god?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

First you have to prove that this thing exist, then we can talk about how to get there.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I grew up going to a church that my parents helped found. When I was a wee lad I accepted the Lord Christ into my heart. My beliefs at the time and growing up are pretty much reflected in infolurker's post above. Time went by, and I got older. By this time I had become what they call lukewarm. I went to church sometimes, prayed sometimes.. you know. Just did it casually. The point came where I turned a critical eye on my beliefs. Eventually I realized that multiple aspects and claims of Christianity didn't add up and simply couldn't be true or factual. The only way to accept the narrative was through faith. Because faith doesn't require evidence.

Perhaps I was wrong though? In my mind at the time, Hell was a scary place of everlasting torment (this I do not believe today - I agree with you on what scripture actually says about it being the destruction of the soul) and I didn't want to go there. Questioning my faith was one thing, but casting it aside was another.

Hence why I began to pray again, in earnest.

"Forgive me for smoking weed! Forgive me for taking your name in vain! Forgive me for neglecting church, and prayer! Forgive me for questioning my faith in the first place!"

I even went so far as...

"Forgive me for having Freemason grandfathers!"

"Forgive me for ever attempting astral projection!"

Silly, I know. But I was trying to cover all my bases.

"Lord reveal yourself to me, again!"

After weeks of this... Nothing. Silence.

Just me, in retrospect, acting like a fool.

Maybe God's plan for me was the wider path, I thought.

I didn't reject him then and there. I just went back to being lukewarm, and keeping a critical eye on my beliefs or increasing lack thereof. Then a day came where I realized I had to be honest with myself. I didn't believe any of it. To pretend I did would be a disservice to myself. It'd even be a disservice to the God I no longer believed existed, if I was to pretend I did. My soul be damned if I was wrong. In that moment, I realized I was an atheist.

So I embraced that. Now? As more and more time passes, my atheism only gets stronger and stronger. Christianity, and indeed all religions, look a hell of a lot different from the outside looking in.

Personally, I have my answer as to why crickets from the big guy.

Your reply actually caught me by surprise Raggedyman. I feel you spent a bit more time on that post to me than you have others. You did that already knowing my opinions on this subject, and that it probably wouldn't mean much to me. Well if that's what you thought, you're right. It's nothing I haven't heard a million times. But I actually do appreciate the thought behind it. Which I perceived as you being genuine. And not the stubborn trollish person I so often consider you to be.

So thanks, for what its worth.

ETA: Feeling unforgivable either from God or myself had absolutely zero to do with my path to atheism. No hate or anger at God, etc. In case you are wondering if that was the case.

edit on 9-15-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

How do you get to god?

By passing through a series of gate keepers and paying their tolls.

How many religions tell their sheep that they they do not have to go to some odd shaped building weekly or whenever, in order to get to god.

Compare that with the number of religions who tell their sheep that they cannot get to heaven unless they do go to some odd shaped building and make payments each week.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Do you do good deeds to get to god?
Do you do any ceremonies to meet god?
Do you go to so called church or temple everyday to see god?
Do you wear specific clothing everyday for god to see you?
Do you bathe newborns in water or river to meet god?
Do you protect certain animals(possibly all lifeforms) to see god?
Do you pray or meditate to god?
Do you pray to a statue or object figure(demi-gods??) to see god?
Do you recruit others to join for god?
Do you sacrifice animals or humans to god?
Do you invade others land to get them to god?
Do you force people to read the bible/quran/torah or some sort of book so they can see god?
Do you predict the future and get people to follow you to god?
Do you build giant boats in case of a flood to see god?
Do you collect objects such as gold for god?
Do you die to get to god(possible with good deeds as oppose to doing nothing, nothing bad)?
Do you kill other people that do bad deeds/evil to get to god?
Do you kill people in the name of god to see god?
Do we wait for a so called Messiah or Savior to meet god?

or do you spread knowledge to other people of god for them to see god?

Did I miss anything? I didn't target Christians only.

So how do you really get to god?

Endless speculation about who God is a d what God wants is all religions amount to, any honest person has to admit this unless they have met God personally.

I don't know anyone who has made this claim, even Mohammed dealt with Gabriel and not Allah personally and the Prophets say no man can endure the presence of God without dying.

Jacob, ever defiant, is the exception is the Tanakh even physically defeating God in an all night wrestling match forcing a blessing from God as a condition of surrender.

Now THAT'S a bold claim. Imagine him telling his wife the next morning where he was.

"Leah, Rachel, kids, gather round! I totally just beat God's ars and he blessed me, our descendants will forever be his chosen people and blessed. We never have to worry about the future because God promised to bless my seed."

Imagine Isaiah in Babylon thinking, damn, how bad do you have to be to get God to punish you when you're the Chosen race, and we are effin slaves to Babylon!!???

Were is he, I think he needs another beating?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

There is another 3 letter chemical that will also help you understand God, for a good half a day too. Unfortunately I cannot elaborate.

I A O

Doing good stuff should not be conditional on meeting God though. It should just be something you do for the human race. Praying to statues wont accomplish anything more than giving ones self peace of mind if they have faith.

In any case, nobody alive can tell you the absolute truth, or can honestly claim to know it. You have to search within to make the connection, and that 3 letter chemical will help you understand real good

I am Alpha Omega

The last shall be first...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The truth is that there is only one way for any human being to get to heaven and that is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

How is that the truth? It's hardly even likely to be true never mind the 1 only way.

Every human being is, by nature, a sinful being. The Bible says that our efforts at doing “good deeds” are not acceptable in the sight of God (Ephesians 2:8-9). God alone is holy. God alone is good. So, God has made a way for sinful human beings to enter into His heaven.

God sacrificed Himself,

No, the Bible doesn't even say this.

Jesus died, God didn't. God can't die or he would be mortal and not God. Jesus could have been a person but he wasn't God and himself says God alone is good and not him (Jesus). God is God, Jesus is said to be his Son but even then it's a stretch.

through the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ, so that our sins could be forgiven through the blood of Jesus Christ. During His time on earth, Jesus led a perfect, sinless life.

Jesus Christ died on a cross. He was buried in a tomb for three days and, on the third day, He was raised from the dead. After forty days, He returned to heaven, where He currently reigns. He will return to earth a second time to claim those who have confessed their belief in Him.

Jesus said, “I am the truth, the way, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me” (John 14:6) and “For unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins” (John 8:24). The Apostle Peter echoed these words when he said, “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12, KJV).

St. Paul concurred, “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus …” (1 Timothy 2:5, KJV). In fact, it is the united testimony of the New Testament that no one can know God the Father except through the person of Jesus Christ.

We have all sinned and deserve God's judgment. God, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him. Jesus, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your Savior, declaring, "Jesus is Lord," you will be saved from judgment and spend eternity with God in heaven.

None of this can be said to be known fact and is mythology, death is as mysterious as life.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I can't believe people after reading the first book in the Bible didn't see the con when it said you have to give money to priests. ...written by priests I bet.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

bro, your not "an athiest". You just finally learned so much about real human history that you stopped passing through a series of gate keepers and paying their tolls. Stopped taking ancient stories written by mortal men who hoped in vain to immortalize themselves at 100% face value. Thats not to say some of the historical context isnt true. But most of the truth has degraded through the ages.

Your ready for a different journey, one that will open your mind to a perception of the universe itself outside of the limitations of mortal flesh and its limited sensory capacities. It is a different interpretation of God, one that is not bound to a linear personified concept. It may even be known to you already by different names or words.

Prayer and meditation still has power btw. It isn't just to get brownie points to heaven. That # is real.
edit on 9-15-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: Azureblue

I can't believe people after reading the first book in the Bible didn't see the con when it said you have to give money to priests. ...written by priests I bet.

No doubt all

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The first thing you need to do is to spell God with a capital G and it's He and Him

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I would like to make a distinction between meeting god thru people subjective faith and getting confirmation that something more exists but understanding that all religions are viewing it from their faith googles.

I do believe people here have meet something more and experienced synchronicity on an extreme level but so have people that do not share your religions. At some point the need for more is greater than knowing the mores need to be known objectively.

Some souls do want to understand the bigger picture and not just play the one measurement game.

So for a soul like me, you become more interested in tools of increasing awareness and energetic body state and understanding how out of body/telepathy (low level) is implemented on this level and playing around with synchronicity.

Even if our perceptions on what is happening is different. You gotta love the feelings and relaxation your body feels in the zone. Wanting to hug every little soul on the higher levels.
edit on 15-9-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
bro, your not "an athiest".

Definitely an atheist!

You just finally learned so much about real human history that you stopped passing through a series of gate keepers and paying their tolls. Stopped taking ancient stories written by mortal men who hoped in vain to immortalize themselves at 100% face value. Thats not to say some of the historical context isnt true. But most of the truth has degraded through the ages.

Your ready for a different journey, one that will open your mind to a perception of the universe itself outside of the limitations of mortal flesh and its limited sensory capacities.

Been on a few of those. If I catch your drift.

It is a different interpretation of God, one that is not bound to a linear personified concept. It may even be known to you already by different names or words.

Prayer and meditation still has power btw. It isn't just to get brownie points to heaven. That # is real.

Thing is, I'm not really a spiritual person.

You're being somewhat vague though, so, I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Yes it is real.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: Raggedyman

I grew up going to a church that my parents helped found. When I was a wee lad I accepted the Lord Christ into my heart. My beliefs at the time and growing up are pretty much reflected in infolurker's post above. Time went by, and I got older. By this time I had become what they call lukewarm. I went to church sometimes, prayed sometimes.. you know. Just did it casually. The point came where I turned a critical eye on my beliefs. Eventually I realized that multiple aspects and claims of Christianity didn't add up and simply couldn't be true or factual. The only way to accept the narrative was through faith. Because faith doesn't require evidence.

Perhaps I was wrong though? In my mind at the time, Hell was a scary place of everlasting torment (this I do not believe today - I agree with you on what scripture actually says about it being the destruction of the soul) and I didn't want to go there. Questioning my faith was one thing, but casting it aside was another.

Hence why I began to pray again, in earnest.

"Forgive me for smoking weed! Forgive me for taking your name in vain! Forgive me for neglecting church, and prayer! Forgive me for questioning my faith in the first place!"

I even went so far as...

"Forgive me for having Freemason grandfathers!"

"Forgive me for ever attempting astral projection!"

Silly, I know. But I was trying to cover all my bases.

"Lord reveal yourself to me, again!"

After weeks of this... Nothing. Silence.

Just me, in retrospect, acting like a fool.

Maybe God's plan for me was the wider path, I thought.

I didn't reject him then and there. I just went back to being lukewarm, and keeping a critical eye on my beliefs or increasing lack thereof. Then a day came where I realized I had to be honest with myself. I didn't believe any of it. To pretend I did would be a disservice to myself. It'd even be a disservice to the God I no longer believed existed, if I was to pretend I did. My soul be damned if I was wrong. In that moment, I realized I was an atheist.

So I embraced that. Now? As more and more time passes, my atheism only gets stronger and stronger. Christianity, and indeed all religions, look a hell of a lot different from the outside looking in.

Personally, I have my answer as to why crickets from the big guy.

Your reply actually caught me by surprise Raggedyman. I feel you spent a bit more time on that post to me than you have others. You did that already knowing my opinions on this subject, and that it probably wouldn't mean much to me. Well if that's what you thought, you're right. It's nothing I haven't heard a million times. But I actually do appreciate the thought behind it. Which I perceived as you being genuine. And not the stubborn trollish person I so often consider you to be.

So thanks, for what its worth.

ETA: Feeling unforgivable either from God or myself had absolutely zero to do with my path to atheism. No hate or anger at God, etc. In case you are wondering if that was the case.

I walked some roads as well
I live by faith
Because the whole story sounds so crazy it needs faith
And my other options, do what never made me happy and hurt others as I go

It took me a long time to forgive myself, just guessed

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

God had and has a plan A and some day that will be in affect .The Garden was where man and God met to walk and talk .It will some day be fully restored when the sin issue is swallowed up by death its self . In the mean time it is by faith and through His Son Jesus Christ .

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Walk barefoot, except not on broken glass or sharp rocks or through raw sewage or fresh poured concrete. Grass is good to walk barefoot on, especially when the morning dew is present, bonus.

Look at the sky when it's blue. Sometimes close to nightfall, you can see the Moon. The Moon's like, "Hah hah, I can come right into Sky's territory." You can't really hear the Moon, but that's what it's like.

I put the barefoot part first because some people are blind. It would be mean to only mention visual cues.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

If you ask Jesus to show himself to you in an honest and humble manner, he will do something to show you he is real.

What kind of hat does he wear?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

No one can get to God via any of the things, works or organizational membership

One can only get to God via Jesus Christ

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If you are up to it do a word study on the words "By" and " through" in the NT. BY left it an exercise of man to do something, but through always left it up to God to do a miracle. It is not in every instance of their use but in many

Examples of by

Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
If Noah or Abraham had not acted Noah would not have saved himself or his family, and Abraham would not have gone to Canaan and got the promise for his seed Israel to get that land.

Examples of through";

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
through our faith we are saved through our Faith alone. Sarah through faith was able to conceive a miracle for no 90 year old woman could logically conceive a child.

The question then is, what is it that we must do to get to God through Jesus Christ?

The answer is, through faith on Jesus Christ for salvation. Then you will access to him freely

Ephesians 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

edit on 15-9-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Nope she is a she. Don't fall for the male angry gods men made up to keep women down.
Before all of the male gods God was always a female form.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

have you not heard

2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join