It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you get to god?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

And if I said I'd help you, too..... ...... would you believe me? To what would you attribute that sort of kindness from a heathen who rejects your imagined "truth"?

Would it strike you that maybe I'm closer to 'god' than you thought?
Because truly, although I give you and other hard-core Christian preachers a hard time, I don't hate you. I don't "dislike" you, either, Chester. There are people I don't like at all, however you are not one of them. At least you try.

What I dislike, indeed "hate," is the declarative statements made by people who think they know "the truth." But they do not, and can or will not admit it. NONE OF US know. We really don't.

Would it surprise you to know that I am, even as we type back and forth, on a friendly basis with pagans and Christians alike? That there are lots of them that I like? And who like me? Do you wonder what it must be like to "like" me?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I would not doubt it. You may be I have only God's word to judge that by and the rest I leave to God.

I apologizes as I was not trying to say I don't like you. I was striking a point between commands to love and there none to like.

I would not be able to say I like you until we meet in person ad have those face to face. That way nothing is lost in communication.

I may in person like you

in this medium it because hard at time to judge how people feel because we miss facial expression, intonation of speech, body language etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: TzarChasm

If we don't do as we are commanded we will never grow. Paul's teaching was for us to love the brethren, and Christ's was to love thy neighbor I choose to do both. One is not a choice and the other is.

your opinions on the matter means nothing but if I try and love people in my flesh as you do it will account for nothing at the Judgement

At least I'm honest about why I'm doing it. When I'm a nice guy it is because I am a nice guy and not because I'm afraid of going somewhere horrible and suffering horribly for it. You don't have to threaten me with a stick to make me do nice things or to keep me from doing bad things. That doesn't mean I have to love everyone, and to be honest I don't want to love everyone just to save my own hide.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

in this medium it because hard at time to judge how people feel because we miss facial expression, intonation of speech, body language etc.

Sometimes it is hard. That is when it is imperative to ask for clarification without first assuming what someone thinks or means or knows or is saying. If you don't understand what they meant, tell them!

Other people's style of writing on here, an informal but written type of communication (like letter writing -- remember when that was a thing?).....is NOT ambiguous. It is easily understood, but when asked for clarification and called out on impertinence, rudeness, etc, they deny ever having intended to do that.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

*Sigh* Once again you've completely derailed a thread. Are you capable of staying on topic? If not, start your own thread.

STM

ETA: The Topic is "How do you get to god?". It is not "Does God Exist?"

edit on 20-9-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasmnot to go off topic but you don't need to be nice to show love.

I am not afraid of some kind of bad event if I don't follow the lord's command. I think that is where many are in error today. If I love or don't love I suffer nothing ill because of the blood of Christ. I do nothing out of fear or blessing.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I just stepped out my front door, turned left, and walked to the end of the driveway. Then I snapped this picture....

so, if we are talking about "how do you get to CHURCH", that is an entirely different thing.
That is how, in those terms, I must get to god physically, apparently.

It has to include "Jesus" to be on-topic, I guess. ????

My apologies for misinterpreting the OP Title and voicing my own method of 'getting to god.'

I guess the best I can do is "get to self-styled christians". And not in a come hither way. More of an ACCkkk! ArGgghhh! kind of way.

But yeah - less than 100 feet away is the door to a church, and the people who come there are pleasant and nice, and friendly, and do things like wave and smile. Not one of us on the block goes to their church, but we don't mind them being there at all.

So, have at it, STM -- what a brilliant job of derailing and baiting. Yeah, I fell for it. Go you.....

edit on 9/20/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

a reply to: TzarChasmnot to go off topic but you don't need to be nice to show love.

I am not afraid of some kind of bad event if I don't follow the lord's command. I think that is where many are in error today. If I love or don't love I suffer nothing ill because of the blood of Christ. I do nothing out of fear or blessing.

Oh yes the blood of Jesus... what is Neo sun god worship without some cannibalism? I guess that's one way to get to God but if history is anything to go by I wouldn't count on it.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

what?

When I mention the blood I am talking about his blood covering over my sin and shortcomings.

I am not sure where you got all the cannibalism or sun worship from except in Roman Catholicism
edit on 20-9-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Do you do good deeds to get to god?
Do you do any ceremonies to meet god?
Do you go to so called church or temple everyday to see god?
Do you wear specific clothing everyday for god to see you?
Do you bathe newborns in water or river to meet god?
Do you protect certain animals(possibly all lifeforms) to see god?
Do you pray or meditate to god?
Do you pray to a statue or object figure(demi-gods??) to see god?
Do you recruit others to join for god?
Do you sacrifice animals or humans to god?
Do you invade others land to get them to god?
Do you force people to read the bible/quran/torah or some sort of book so they can see god?
Do you predict the future and get people to follow you to god?
Do you build giant boats in case of a flood to see god?
Do you collect objects such as gold for god?
Do you die to get to god(possible with good deeds as oppose to doing nothing, nothing bad)?
Do you kill other people that do bad deeds/evil to get to god?
Do you kill people in the name of god to see god?
Do we wait for a so called Messiah or Savior to meet god?

or do you spread knowledge to other people of god for them to see god?

Did I miss anything? I didn't target Christians only.

So how do you really get to god?

If you believe that your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living, you're just waiting to die.

ENJOY LIFE. If a god does exist, he sure as hell didn't create this incredible, beautiful world for you to spend all of your free time inside a church! Be real. Be honest. Have fun. Don't live in fear. Turn off your TV, quit watching fake people in Hollywood and live your own life instead. Find hope in the world, and seek out the positive in all people you meet. If you achieve that, no "god" can fault you for your actions, and you'll have made the most of your life on this great planet.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I am not sure where you got all the cannibalism or sun worship from except in Roman Catholicism

1 Cor 11:23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

The sun worship is a bit harder to explain. There are different theories. Like pre-Christian cross represents Apollo as the upright pole, and the horizontal represents the horizon. I can't think of anywhere that Paul wrote anything like that though.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

but we don't see it as actual blood and body as the Roman catholics do. We see it as a symbol of thee shed blood and broken body on the cross not actual blood and body.

But that wasn't what I was refering too when that person made reference to cannibalism and sun worship anyway.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

what?

When I mention the blood I am talking about his blood covering over my sin and shortcomings.

the eucharist yes. it sounds as though you dont invest or think it to be necessary...but who are you to decide that? its in the scriptures is it not? the last supper is one of those details on which all denominations agree. sorry for my mistake but the phrasing and the context makes it easy to get confused between figure of speech and traditional ritual.
edit on 20-9-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

1 Cor 11:23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

The sun worship is a bit harder to explain. There are different theories. Like pre-Christian cross represents Apollo as the upright pole, and the horizontal represents the horizon. I can't think of anywhere that Paul wrote anything like that though.

oh well, if paul didnt write it, then clearly there is nothing to see here.

i will leave it to the forum participants to do the digging if they really want to draw the correlations between sun worship and modern judaism. im sure there are already a few threads floating around somewhere...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Only Roman Catholic call it he Eucharist.

A Bible believe knows no such term as Eucharist because it is not found int eh preserved word of God.

Matt 26:26 ¶ And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Mark 14:22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.
23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
Luke 22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Now find the differences in these renditions, see the similarities in these. These are not contradictions but are preserved just the way God wanted them. These accounts all show that the Lord supper to be symbolism to remind those of his sacrifice. Never ever is it said to be the actual blood or body.

The Eucharist as done by the Roman Catholics teach that the bread and wine become the actual body and blood it is called in their doctrine of men the transubstantiation.

We as non Roman Catholics do not believe their doctrine nor practice it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join