It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tupac Shakur - 20 Years Since His Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Today marks 20 years since Tupac Shakur passed away (Date of Death: September 13th, 1996). He died on Friday the 13th.

The last album he released, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory was released November 5th, 1996 after his death.

Oddly enough, Pac spent 7 days in the hospital (he was gunned down in a drive-by on September 7th, and was hospitalized until he died on September 13th). Also, the fact that Tupac changed his musical artist name from "2pac" to "Makaveli" (this last album was the first time he used this new alias), raised more questions by conspiracy theorists because Niccolo Machiavelli, who was the person that inspired Pac to change his name, wrote a book called "The Prince" (a political treatise), which discusses faking your own death to fool your enemies.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding 2pac, ever since he shot to stardom in the early 90's. Along with being a successful rap artist, he also starred in several movies and was a celebrity mogul just a few years after starting his music career.

His mother was a Black Panther. She was also addicted to crack at some time, as he mentioned in the song "Dear Mama". Tupac also dealt with moving around all over the country. It's amazing what he did accomplish. By 2004, he was in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the highest selling rap artist, with 67 million albums sold worldwide. All across Africa 2pac is recognized as a figure of resilience and overcoming struggles.

He also was a poet (see "The Rose that Grew from Concrete").

He was wrongfully harassed by the police and authorities on many occasions. On one occasion, he confronted two off-duty police officers who were harassing a black male. He ended up shooting at least one of the cops in self-defense. It was found that the cops had a gun they took from "Evidence", and were intoxicated and unlawfully harassing people and Tupac was acquitted of all charges.

He was also beaten by NYPD for J-Walking, sued them for $10 million, and ultimately was awarded $10,000 by NYPD for their wrongdoing. He really made a LOT of waves in society.

His step-father, Mutulu Shakur was a political prisoner and was targeted by illegal FBI COINTELPRO projects that were meant to discredit organizations in the civil rights movement, including that of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Another prominent Black Panther Party member, Assata Shakur was Tupac's Step-Aunt and Godmother (Mutulu's sister). She is on the FBI's Most Wanted list.

Tupac's music was singled out by politicians such as Senator Bob Dole and Delores Tucker. They publicly smashed 2pac CD's and were outspoken against his music (even though many other rap artists rapped about the same things, and they did not speak out against those artists).

Tupac was outspoken against the government, even against Donald Trump.

He coined terms such as "THUG LIFE", (The Hate You Give Little Infants F***s Everyone), and N.I.G.G.A., an acronym which stood for "Never Ignorant, Getting Goals Accomplished") NO this is not a term being used in a racial way, please don't have a knee-jerk reaction and say this is the case, because in this thread, and in Tupac's philosophy, he used it as an acronym that had nothing to do with race.

2pac was shot 5 times (and robbed) in 1994 in an elevator, 1 bullet even hit him in the head. He recovered, and came back with more intense music and made enemies as a result. The shooting in 1996 was the one that ended him though.

Rumors state that 2pac has been alive and faked his death, that he ran away to South America or Cuba, and did this to escape the limelight and all of the controversy. I think we should let the man rest in peace, and appreciate some of the important issues 2pac spoke about.

Songs like "Brenda's Got a Baby" and "Me Against the World". The lyrics discuss social issues and injustices. He also had an idea of "50 _____", he wanted to unite people and have 1 person in each state who represented his cause for making social change. He died before he could actually implement plans for this social movement.

I hope this thread isn't negatively received, it is purely objective in nature and I wanted to discuss this famous figure on the 20th anniversary of his death.

Rest In Peace Tupac.

Tupac Amaru Shakur June 16th, 1971 - September 13th, 1996.

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world." -I take this one to heart.

200 Tupac Quotes
edit on 13-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
He was truly ahead of his time and his lyrics are still relevant today.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Fantastic artist... Great story teller, and a brilliant rhymer.

And that aside, the power he had to motivate the people was untouched in music, of course barring Michael Jackson.

Given 20 years, I wouldn't have put it past him to destroy the 2 party system.

Glad you explained what Thug Life stands for...
Hopefully we don't have a deluge of off topic & ill informed hate towards that motto now.

S&F mate.

RIP Pac.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

added this info to OP
edit on 13-9-2016 by FamCore because: added to OP

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Brenda's Got a Baby was the first rap song I learned by heart. Still know it to this day. Hazardous, I agree that he was headed toward politics, brought pathos and stage presence to the mic that has never been matched.

Keep Ya Head Up is a personal fav.

RIP to one of the GOATs!

S+F OP, thanks for the thread!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My mother and father were in Vegas that night.

Coincidentally, only seven blocks away.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I want to say that I'm very appreciative of everyone who has commented on this thread, respectfully and genuinely. I expected more of a negative reception but I am pleased that others also recognize the importance and significance of Tupac's contribution to the narrative in history and what he did to help others see areas that our society can improve on.

He wasn't perfect either, but he did the best with what he had. And he saw first-hand how certain demographics are discriminated against and had less opportunity, and he spoke out against the constructs that allow this to happen.

He really did have a big heart, and like all of us he was also corruptible to the temptations. But he always tried to circle back to the main mission, of helping the masses and reducing the disparities in racial subjugation and promulgation.

Tupac's actions and stance on issues are one of my biggest inspirations in life. I DO plan to change the world with my passion and my heart and my spirit, partially thanks to how this man inspired me.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I heard him say a few things that touched me. After his trial for sexual assault, he come out aware that you gotta know who you hang with and what they are about.

His remark, "Don't trust anyone" was telling.

Another time he said, "Charity doesn't make it down to the Ghetto, everyone knows that."

Still another something like, Nigg-ers are the ones with ropes around their neck hanging from trees, Nigg-as are the ones with ropes of gold chain on, hanging round the clubs."

Thanks Tupac, for giving me a wider perspective on the world I never would have had without you.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I'm thankful you contributed to this thread, and with positive, applicable information at that. Of everyone on ATS I think you are like my "brother from another mother". He really did have a positive and hopeful message if you can see past the controversy and racial issues he brought up (which were completely valid, I am "Caucasian" and from Vermont, born into what would be considered a Middle Class family, but can relate to the messages and philosophy he was all about).

Thank you intrptr, and RIP to a Legend.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I always thought Tupac was over rated as an MC. I know it is blasphemy, but he isn't on my Top 10 list. With that said, he did rhyme with a lot of emotion. Only other rapper I think comes close is DMX. I did like some of Pacs later works though.

I have mixed feelings about how he has been canonized. While he certainly had some inspirational songs, I still have a hard time holding him up as a positive influence. He courted a lot of controversy. However, no entertainer is perfect, so I take his bad with good.

I vividly remember where I was when it came on the radio that he had died.

He will be missed.

Having lived through the East Coast / West Coast beef, it was not a good time in hip hop. Hopefully, his murder along with Biggie's will be solved one day.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

He was so young! They all were.

I wasn't a very positive influence either in my early 20's (but hope that's changed significantly since!), not to mention that once Shug got his demon claws into him, he changed quite a bit.

You make some very valid points, though.

I'd like to think that he would've grown to be an excellent role model, and done more for the community, but sadly we'll never know.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Hopefully, his murder along with Biggie's will be solved one day.

It was. Trailer for the Doc:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

He really did have a positive and hopeful message if you can see past the controversy and racial issues he brought up (which were completely valid, I am "Caucasian" and from Vermont, born into what would be considered a Middle Class family, but can relate to the messages and philosophy he was all about).

Ditto

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I must share with you this wonderful FBI file on Tupac's murder, prised out of the Bureau's claws via FOIA, which shows that the Feebs' prime suspects were in fact... the Jewish Defence League!

www.muckrock.com...

I'm not sure where the investigation ended up, but I think it's pretty obvious why the FBI didn't exactly holler this from the rooftops. Can you imagine the reaction?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: audubon

Great information - thanks for posting it. I hadn't even heard of the Jewish Defense League. Why am I not surprised a right-wing Zionist terrorist group is implicated in Pac's death? hmmm

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Eh, steady on, not sure the JDL qualifies as a terrorist outfit! Well, not officially anyway... (j/k)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I wanted to add also that Tupac was actually born "Lesane Parish Crooks", but his mother changed his name to Tupac Amaru, after Tupac Amaru II who was an 18th-century Peruvian revolutionary, who was executed after leading an indigenous uprising against Spanish rulers

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I used to love Tupac's stuff and even had that Makaveli album you mention on original cassette. They were made of plastic and had two reels which this magnetic tape was wound around lol (jokes for the mp3 generation).

He wasn't someone who taught me much; it was more about the melodies and phrasing that got me. Foot-tapping, beats etc. He definitely had a way with the lyrics and outpunched Biggie on the intellectual level although they were close on the charisma.

Wu Tang Klan have been my favourite rap outfit since 96-97 and none of them have the charisma of Tupac. Who's had a bigger profile? Ice-T was up there. Ice-Cube was close. Flava-Flav is household recognisable and Eminem is world famous. Yeah, Tupac has a good case as one of the major name in rap.

ETA -

edit on 9.19.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Today marks 20 years since Tupac Shakur passed away (Date of Death: September 13th, 1996). He died on Friday the 13th.

The last album he released, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory was released November 5th, 1996 after his death.

Oddly enough, Pac spent 7 days in the hospital (he was gunned down in a drive-by on September 7th, and was hospitalized until he died on September 13th). Also, the fact that Tupac changed his musical artist name from "2pac" to "Makaveli" (this last album was the first time he used this new alias), raised more questions by conspiracy theorists because Niccolo Machiavelli, who was the person that inspired Pac to change his name, wrote a book called "The Prince" (a political treatise), which discusses faking your own death to fool your enemies.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding 2pac, ever since he shot to stardom in the early 90's. Along with being a successful rap artist, he also starred in several movies and was a celebrity mogul just a few years after starting his music career.

His mother was a Black Panther. She was also addicted to crack at some time, as he mentioned in the song "Dear Mama". Tupac also dealt with moving around all over the country. It's amazing what he did accomplish. By 2004, he was in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the highest selling rap artist, with 67 million albums sold worldwide. All across Africa 2pac is recognized as a figure of resilience and overcoming struggles.

He also was a poet (see "The Rose that Grew from Concrete").

He was wrongfully harassed by the police and authorities on many occasions. On one occasion, he confronted two off-duty police officers who were harassing a black male. He ended up shooting at least one of the cops in self-defense. It was found that the cops had a gun they took from "Evidence", and were intoxicated and unlawfully harassing people and Tupac was acquitted of all charges.

He was also beaten by NYPD for J-Walking, sued them for $10 million, and ultimately was awarded $10,000 by NYPD for their wrongdoing. He really made a LOT of waves in society.

His step-father, Mutulu Shakur was a political prisoner and was targeted by illegal FBI COINTELPRO projects that were meant to discredit organizations in the civil rights movement, including that of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Another prominent Black Panther Party member, Assata Shakur was Tupac's Step-Aunt and Godmother (Mutulu's sister). She is on the FBI's Most Wanted list.

Tupac's music was singled out by politicians such as Senator Bob Dole and Delores Tucker. They publicly smashed 2pac CD's and were outspoken against his music (even though many other rap artists rapped about the same things, and they did not speak out against those artists).

Tupac was outspoken against the government, even against Donald Trump.

He coined terms such as "THUG LIFE", (The Hate You Give Little Infants F***s Everyone), and N.I.G.G.A., an acronym which stood for "Never Ignorant, Getting Goals Accomplished") NO this is not a term being used in a racial way, please don't have a knee-jerk reaction and say this is the case, because in this thread, and in Tupac's philosophy, he used it as an acronym that had nothing to do with race.

2pac was shot 5 times (and robbed) in 1994 in an elevator, 1 bullet even hit him in the head. He recovered, and came back with more intense music and made enemies as a result. The shooting in 1996 was the one that ended him though.

Rumors state that 2pac has been alive and faked his death, that he ran away to South America or Cuba, and did this to escape the limelight and all of the controversy. I think we should let the man rest in peace, and appreciate some of the important issues 2pac spoke about.

Songs like "Brenda's Got a Baby" and "Me Against the World". The lyrics discuss social issues and injustices. He also had an idea of "50 _____", he wanted to unite people and have 1 person in each state who represented his cause for making social change. He died before he could actually implement plans for this social movement.

I hope this thread isn't negatively received, it is purely objective in nature and I wanted to discuss this famous figure on the 20th anniversary of his death.

Rest In Peace Tupac.

Tupac Amaru Shakur June 16th, 1971 - September 13th, 1996.

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world." -I take this one to heart.

200 Tupac Quotes

Bob Marley, John Lennon, 2Pac, Jesus, Buddha, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr, Malcom X, Abraham Lincoln. Want to know something about these men? They spoke truth, and were damned and condemned for it. By the masses, and by whatever secret society, be it the NWO, illuminati, whatever, pulls the strings behind the scenes. Fact.

m.youtube.com... Redemption Song - Bob Marley
edit on 23-9-2016 by AGustOfWind312 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join