It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Songs You'll Never Understand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This thread is meant to be a discussion of songs where the intention of the songwriter is clear, but the meaning of the song is still incomprehensible to you.

I'm distinguishing that concept from the idea that was explored in my Nonsensical Songs thread. That thread was meant to be about songs that make no sense at all.

Dido's "White Flag" is my choice. I love the song. It's one of my favorites of all-time. Still, every word is incomprehensible to me in terms of actually living the way she's describing. I think the song isn't serious, but I just want to tell Dido to get on with her life. Who would want to waste their life the way she's describing?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Okokok O K! I'm listening through my $300 Beats. I have no idea what's she's saying. It does not help I'm deafithh.

However, when i except the sound of the notes or music... it's quite beautiful. 🤗

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Anything by Bush.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Thats amazing because I think its obvious what thats about

A relationship that has ended but she wont let go of, no white flag, no surrender, never giving up

Anyway

Phil Collins song
I can feel it in the air tonight

vimeo.com...
edit on 12-9-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This classic....

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Triple star you for this one.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Thats amazing because I think its obvious what thats about

A relationship that has ended but she wont let go of, no white flag, no surrender, never giving up

The first sentence of the thread explains it:

"This thread is meant to be a discussion of songs where the intention of the songwriter is clear, but the meaning of the song is still incomprehensible to you. "

The thought process described in the song is understandable to you somehow. I can't comprehend thinking that way. Do you see my point?

originally posted by: Bone75
Anything by Bush.

Do you think the intended meaning of their songs is clear? The Science of Things is one of my favorite albums, but I would say all of the songs on that album are nonsensical (which is supposed to be a different topic).

I've been accused of being pedantic. I wonder sometimes.

edit on 12-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Ahh I see now, yeah

But not surrendering, no white flag, hanging on whatever the cost

Anyway I just assumed wrong.
Cheers

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
(It's very open to interpretation, and many have tried, but the composer/writer admitted this song was intentional nonsense.)

(I suspect this one does have a meaning, and there are lots of interpretations, but as he was never wont to share his intended meanings and frequently said songs didn't need to have them and were sufficient simply to exist for their own sake, I'll include this one because its lyrics are particularly opaque even by his standards imo.)

(And just to be funny... this one doesn't have much in the way of lyrics, but its inexplicable inclusion after a song on their Yield album was always amusing to me lol. HUMMUS!)

Peace.

edit on 9/12/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Hummus!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
You said in the OP, "I think the song isn't serious", and I think that is important.
Essentially the lyrics describe how She is taking responsibility for screwing up a relationship.
I think you are taking her literally on the chorus:

I will go down with this ship, And I won't put my hands up and surrender, There will be no white flag above my door, I'm in love and always will be

She isn't actually, literally stating that she simply cannot get over losing this person, and so will never be with anyone else again, and will pine for this one person every day, FOREVER.
If that was the case then your question in the OP, "Who would want to waste your life the way she is describing?" would be totally understandable...

In fact I would recommend she see a psychologist immediately.

I think it's more that she is using it as a figure of speech, in that she now realises (in hindsight) that this particular relationship was really good, will always remember how she screwed up the relationship and will always feel disappointed about that.

You could make a whole thread about how lyrics in music can be taken the wrong way, and the songwriter's sentiment can become totally misinterpreted.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

You could make a whole thread about how lyrics in music can be taken the wrong way, and the songwriter's sentiment can become totally misinterpreted.

Springsteen's Born in the USA is a common one. Politicians have used it for their campaign theme when it's anti everything they stood for. All they ever heard was the title.

Bit like ATS. People respond to the thread titles and ignore the OP. The top 5 posts then have nothing to do with OP and still get 20 stars from people...responding to the title and ignoring the OP.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I actually did read the OP... but somehow still didn't get the distinction. Oh well. Another day, another bout of feeling like an idiot! :p

Peace.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Bit like ATS. People respond to the thread titles and ignore the OP. The top 5 posts then have nothing to do with OP and still get 20 stars from people...responding to the title and ignoring the OP.

I wonder what this song is really about ...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Yeah I think it's obvious as well, there is a time for mourning loss, dido is in that time
She is expressing her current feelings, everyone is different

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Remember it the first time around. It nearly went Number 1 in the UK.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I knew there was a reason i stayed in Australia...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
System Of A Down - Chop Suey!

I'm a fan of the song, but till this day I still have no idea what it's about...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Springsteen's Born in the USA is a common one. Politicians have used it for their campaign theme when it's anti everything they stood for. All they ever heard was the title.

Yeah, Born in the USA is a great example.
When I started reading the OP I was instantly thinking of R.E.M. then I realised, no this thread isn't talking about lyricists like that...

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

In The Air Tonight is another difficult song to interpret the meaning of.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join