It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 percent of Iraqi's say they plan to vote.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
"A clear majority of Iraqis said they plan to vote in the Jan. 30 elections and remain hopeful about their country's future despite a murderous insurgency, according to a poll to be released today.
The countrywide survey, conducted by the Washington-based International Republican Institute (IRI), also found increased popular awareness of the election, closer identification with political parties and a growing level of trust in Iraqi institutions such as the interim government, the police and the election commission. "

www.washtimes.com...

This is a bit of news you won't see much of on the "mainstream" media. These people want freedom and a real elected government. The entire world should keep doing what it takes to help them get it. This isn't america "imposing" democracy on anyone............

[edit on 21-1-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Good news, I hope it comes true. The latest attacks have been deadly to Iraqi citizens. I hope they take their country into their own hands and deal with this terrorist threat!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The problem I have with these pols is that imho you can't trust them.

The Iraqi people have been under a goverment for decades that had only 1 wish from them, and that was to answer questions the way the goverment wanted them to answer or die/torture.

Now you have pollers going about the nation asking Iraqi's these questions, alot of these people are scared of the US Troops, the Iraqi insurgents and the Interim goverment. Don't you think these people would answer these questions however they think the asker would want them to be answered?

I don't doubt that there are alot of people that do see the future bright and hope an election will bring forth a decent goverment, but I also think that these people are realistic and see that no goverment will hold if the insurgency and fighting keeps going up to a point where the US pulls out. And as long the US is there, no goverment will be their own.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Good. Here is some info on the election for anyone interested.

More than 120 parties have so far been authorised to field candidates for the assembly. They are obliged to present a list of at least 12 candidates, and no more than 275. Every third name must be a woman's, to ensure that at least 25% of the seats in the assembly go to women.

The parties likely to figure prominently are the two Kurdish groupings, Kurdish Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, which are already firmly established, the Shia-led Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, SCIRI, the Islamic al-Dawa, and the Iraqi National Congress, an exile group chaired by one-time US ally Ahmed Chalabi. There have been suggestion that Mr Chalabi may lead a Shia list including supporters of Moqtada al-Sadr. The Communist party, which opposed the US-led invasion, may also feature.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It's great to see them finally starting to make the move to a more democractic government

The transition is going to be anything but easy though...

[edit on 21-1-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trent

It's great to see them finally starting to make the move to a more democractic government

The transition is going to be anything but easy though...

[edit on 21-1-2005 by Trent]

I can believe that Chalabis is still in the picture after US have him search for using US fund on fraudulent deals, right after the invasion.

It tells you the character of some of these people.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
the problem with this election is,
that it is going to happen anyway,
but the real question is,
will it bring PEACE
or just tear the country in half
and lead it in a civil war, far beyond any peace.

here is a capture from english.pravda.ru

Just two weeks from Iraq's general elections that decide who will sit on the 275-member national assembly, Baghdad's course toward that end grows more perilous each day.

Attacks on U.S. forces have grown deadlier; ambushes of Iraq's budding security forces are increasingly successful; the marginal stability that presently exists is being further threatened by the lethal insurgent targeting of politicians and government figures; intelligence reports show that the insurgency is growing stronger with each passing day. The electoral quest has proven to be so messy that it is difficult to conclude that the elections will bring enough peace and stability to alter significantly the present dynamic in Iraq.

Since the beginning of the insurgency in 2003, attacks on U.S. forces have swelled, increasing in deadliness and effectiveness. Each day, attacks are initiated throughout the country, highlighting its instability. On January 3, a suicide car bomber drove his vehicle into a checkpoint near the Baghdad offices of Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's political party, the Iraqi National Accord. Hours later, another explosion brought casualties at a checkpoint entrance to the Green Zone, the most heavily fortified area of Iraq containing the headquarters of the Iraqi government and the U.S. embassy.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

This is a bit of news you won't see much of on the "mainstream" media. These people want freedom and a real elected government. The entire world should keep doing what it takes to help them get it. This isn't america "imposing" democracy on anyone............

At this point I think the Iraqi's would do anything to get everything to calm down. Bush has created the biggest haven for terriost in the world, in Iraq and the Iraqis what it to be gone.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope their election is free and fair. I'm just not holding my breath for any spectacular results in turnout or result.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just last night it was reported that 60 polling stations closed because the workers quit due to the danger.

I have a very hard time believing that 80% plan to vote. Honestly I hope they do, but it will really mean nothing as far as an election goes.

The candidates can't campaign because they will be killed, and with so many parties and so many slots to vote for, either no one will read anything about it and just choose people for random reasons, or the stations will be clogged to the point of a virtual stand still.

But who really knows.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
80% may plan to vote, but I fear that when voting day does come, and car bombs start going off everywhere, especially at poling stations, the turnout will be considerably less.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yeah but who conducts this polling? The CIA under cover as a news agency. You can bet the election will be rigged. Bush will probably be elected president of Iraq, too!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Yeah but who conducts this polling? The CIA under cover as a news agency. You can bet the election will be rigged. Bush will probably be elected president of Iraq, too!

HAHAHAHA, you made me choke on my lunch (Chicken Out... Yum).

Bush, president of Iraq. That struck me as really funny.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

This is a bit of news you won't see much of on the "mainstream" media. These people want freedom and a real elected government.

Too bad that the candidates have american stamp of approval

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago about how only 60,000 or so Iraqis being registered to vote? Something like .25% of the entire population. Anyway, with violence going on, plus having to register on the day of the vote and the actual process of voting itself, I'm not too sure there will be much in the way of actual voting going on.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It's 80% of the Iraqis polled, not all iraqis.

if I asked 10 people if they will vote and 8 say yes does that mean that 80% of all people will vote?

NO.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
From the same article as the original link.

"The countrywide survey, conducted by the Washington-based International Republican Institute (IRI), also found increased popular awareness of the election, closer identification with political parties and a growing level of trust in Iraqi institutions such as the interim government, the police and the election commission."

Link the IRI site article and Powerpoint files of polls at the bottom of the page.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone

This is a bit of news you won't see much of on the "mainstream" media. These people want freedom and a real elected government.

Too bad that the candidates have american stamp of approval

So let me guess you would rather have Saddam on the ballot? How about we dig up Arafat and run him.

Their is no "bush' approved list of candidates. After many years of oppression there are still "baathist" on these ballots. An election is an election, I guess "freedom" is something each of you Libs only want for yourself? That is tyrany................

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
80% are going to vote...

Only 29% know that they are voting on a 275 seat assembly to draft a constitution and appoint an interim government.

41% think they are electing a president.

www.thedesertsun.com...

"I think it is a president to be elected. Or a republican government," said grocery owner Faiq Talib Mehdi, 53, clearly a bit embarrassed that he doesn’t know.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
80% are going to vote...

Only 29% know that they are voting on a 275 seat assembly to draft a constitution and appoint an interim government.

Well based on the last election in the US that doesn't suprise me. 50,000,000 linatics voted for a war crimminal (kerry for those of you in Ft wayne and palm beach)

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
80% are going to vote...

Well based on the last election in the US that doesn't suprise me. 50,000,000 linatics voted for a war crimminal (kerry for those of you in Ft wayne and palm beach)

cute.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join