It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 percent of Iraqi's say they plan to vote.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
[An election is an election, I guess "freedom" is something each of you Libs only want for yourself? That is tyrany................

I don't know anyone that would begrudge someone being free as opposed to a slave. It is really contrary to humanity in general, so the idea is rediculous to place at the feet of liberals.

There comes a point in time when people need to rise up and TAKE their freedom. When the cause of freedom is THEIR cause, then they don't get mad at us when their people die because the oppresive government is to blame.

This way they are mad at us. But we have had quite a few chances to take out Saddam. They could still be mad about the 30,000 murdered and hundreds of thousands of refugees.

But get over it Iraqis, right?

Sep

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
When the elections are finished and the SCIRI wins then the US will show its true colours. If they accept the government then its all good, if there is crys about election fraud then its bad.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

So let me guess you would rather have Saddam on the ballot? How about we dig up Arafat and run him.

Their is no "bush' approved list of candidates. After many years of oppression there are still "baathist" on these ballots. An election is an election, I guess "freedom" is something each of you Libs only want for yourself? That is tyrany................

DrHoracid, are you Ann Coulter?

First I'm not a liberal, but before you get ahead of me I'm not a conservative. I'm beyond that false paradighm that only serves to divide us. Freedom is something I want for EVERYONE. Liberals think that You stop killing with love, and conservatives think that you stop killing with killing. Which one would jesus pick? (I'm not christian but Jesus is my homeboy)

An election is NOT an election when campain sponsers cannot be monitored to assure a level playing ground.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

"Iraqi and U.S. officials say the country's democratic experiment is already tainted by questionable political money. "There's no doubt that money for media is going to play heavily in this election," said a senior U.S. diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.

According to Iraq's law governing political parties, candidates must sign a statement vowing not to take money from foreign sources. But officials say there is no way to monitor or regulate the money now suspected of pouring into the country, whose banking system is so antiquated that most commerce is conducted in cash...

In theory, television stations are required to give parties equal time, but the rules are widely flouted. Many parties have their own television and radio stations, which seem to cover only their candidates. A group called the Nationalist List of the Two Rivers, one of two coalitions representing Iraqi Christians, has four television stations and two radio stations."

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
[DrHoracid, are you Ann Coulter? ]

If love is the answer then why is Christ returning to this planet?

Answer..... to end evil by killing it!

80% of Iraqis want to vote in a free election, the world should support that instead of telling them they can't hanlde it, or they don't really want it, or any excuse to keep them under Islamo control. Freedom will take "control" out of the "mouths" of mullahs and put it in the hands of the "poeple"

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

80% of Iraqis want to vote in a free election,
the world should support that instead of telling
them they can't handle it, or they don't really
want it ...

Very well said! A little support from the radical
left would be nice. I think they are all a little
miffed that G.W. might actually be right and that
Iraq will be better off because we went in. It
almost sounds like some folks don't want Iraq
to be better off .... because it will leave them
eatting crow!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
[Very well said! A little support from the radical
left would be nice. I think they are all a little
miffed that G.W. might actually be right and that
Iraq will be better off because we went in. It
almost sounds like some folks don't want Iraq
to be better off .... because it will leave them
eatting crow!

It is more likely the insane left would lose grip on part of the handle of that political sledghammer they "think' they have.............Fortunately thier aim isn't very good and they can't seem to hit GW with it. That and it is a very small hammer in a even smaller hand called the DNC.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I saw on the news there were limits to male candidates. One of every three national Iraqi candidates are recruited women. The idea being that if people use all their votes at least 25% of the governing body will be female.

That's amazingly progressive in my estimation. And not exactly true democracy or honoring the will or even religion of the people. Amazing all this from Republican doing.

Can you imagine if Democrats tried to propose that in America? I can't stop laughing thinking of the Republican riots. Femi-nazis cramming Political Correctness down our throats, right?

If only our elected officals were 25% women. Heck, 10% would be nice since they are over half the population.

As with most things though, what's good for the Goose is just that and nothing more. The Gander is above it all. We can't even get voting right here.

We just suck. There I said it.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A couple points:

1) American women don't have their crap together, so their numbers mean nothing. They could rule this country top to bottom, but they don't seem to want to.

2) Making women in the government manditory might be a bit of a problem socially. Same reason women POWs are bad news in America.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

1,903 face-to-face interviews conducted between Dec. 26 and Jan.
Hardly can be called all 25 million or so Iraqis.

Horacid, why not try investing some time learning what Iraqis have to say. I am aware that if you read anything negative about what is going on in Iraq as said by an Iraqi, you will automatically dismiss them as being on the wrong side, but fact is, they tell us what the media does not, and like it or not, the fact that we know Iraq is no bed of roses, supports internal claims.

Such as this woman who if you read all of her blogs from their beginning you will find she had no axe to grind, and struggles to maintain that stance:

January 22, 2005: It's the third day of Eid. Eid is the Islamic holiday and usually it’s a time for families to get together, eat, drink and celebrate. Not this Eid. This Eid is unbearable. We managed a feeble gathering on the first day and no one was in a celebratory mood...There hasn’t been a drop of water in the faucets for six days. six days. Even at the beginning of the occupation, when the water would disappear in the summer, there was always a trickle that would come from one of the pipes in the garden. Now, even that is gone...

Water is like peace- you never really know just how valuable it is until someone takes it away. It’s maddening to walk up to the sink, turn one of the faucets and hear the pipes groan with nothing. The toilets don’t function… the dishes sit piled up until two of us can manage to do them- one scrubbing and rinsing and the other pouring the water... At first, I thought it was just our area but I’ve been asking around and apparently, almost all of the areas (if not all) are suffering this drought.

People in many areas are being told that if they don’t vote- Sunnis and Shia alike- the food and supply rations we are supposed to get monthly will be cut off. We’ve been getting these rations since the beginning of the nineties and for many families, it’s their main source of sustenance. What sort of democracy is it when you FORCE people to go vote for someone or another they don’t want?...

Allawi’s people were passing out pamphlets a few days ago. I went out to the garden to check the low faucet, hoping to find a trickle of water and instead, I found some paper crushed under the garden gate. Upon studying it, it turned out to be some sort of “Elect Allawi” pamphlet promising security and prosperity, amongst other things, for occupied Iraq. I'd say it was a completely useless pamphlet but that isn't completely true. It fit nicely on the bottom of the cage of E.'s newly acquired pet parakeet....

We have a saying for that in Iraq, "Ili yishoof il mawt, yirdha bil iskhooneh." Which means, "If you see death, you settle for a fever." We've given up on democracy, security and even electricity. Just bring back the water. -by Riverbend.

As at Jan. 01 from this American journalists blog site www.back-to-iraq.com... we learn that the election list had not been posted. 275 candidates the Iraqi people have to choose and 30 days before they walk into the booths, they have no idea who is running for the current transitional government. Now tell me exactly how Iraqis are supposed to realistically choose people they do not know? Would any of you accept that nonsense?

He also states that the resolution passed relative to hold the election by Jan.31 cannot be changed. Whether or not Iraq is ready it has to go ahead. It is obvious to me that Bush et al will be trumpeting the fact that they were held. They won't tell you that the Iraqi government they put in place would have collapsed otherwise.

You read sources like these and you quickly learn how these elections are being manipulated by every political group both within and without Iraq. I encourage eveyone of you to take some time and seek information from diverse sources rather than train myopia to the news view providing the rose coloured glasses with which to view their reports and the scenarios you are so desperate to believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why is the left so intent on keeping Iraq in bondage? Post Saddam Iraq is no different that post USSR eastern block nations. Freedom isn't "normal" to this area. Freedom "requires" personal initiative to survive.

One also must consider who is keeping the "water" from flowing. The US or islamo-cowards?

A site dedicated to "journalists" is hardly unbiased.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
A couple points:

1) American women don't have their crap together, so their numbers mean nothing. They could rule this country top to bottom, but they don't seem to want to.

2) Making women in the government manditory might be a bit of a problem socially. Same reason women POWs are bad news in America.

Well that's a fine reason to not do it here I suppose, but why in hell would we force it on Iraq then? I'm not saying Iraqi women shoudn't be part of the government at all, but forcing fundamental Muslim men to vote for women to the extent men are kept off the ballot to fill quotas?

Not very Republican of us.

I just find it extrememly bizarre and awkwardly "progressive."

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
``

i agree with RANT on the politically correct voting experiment oer there

that there mandatory female candidate list wasn't made clear to me in the regular news service....i heard about it from a amateur, budding journalist
in Iraq saleemtheiraqi.blogspot.com...

you might check out: iraqthemodel.blogspot.com...

or:

Scroll to article called SEVEN at mudvillegazette.com...

[i so gag on all the news reduced to PAP by the big news agencies...]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Why is the left so intent on keeping Iraq in bondage? Post Saddam Iraq is no different that post USSR eastern block nations. Freedom isn't "normal" to this area. Freedom "requires" personal initiative to survive.

One also must consider who is keeping the "water" from flowing. The US or islamo-cowards?

A site dedicated to "journalists" is hardly unbiased.
The left as you call us Horacid, prefers to see Iraq removed from sequential bondage. That is to say, the bondage they have today while you call it freedom, is bondage bound more tightly than they had before. But that is not the question really, as yours is a copout and cheap attempt to turn this away from your own guilt unto "us left," for if you were truly interested in removing people from bondage, you would start with China, North Korea, The Sudan, and such places. These people are in bondage Horacid, there rank at the top of the list. Not only are their liberties more severely curtailed than Saddam's Iraqis, but so too are their rights. Do not atempt to give me that argument Horacid, as life under Hussein for Iraqis may not have met with our ideals, but they certainly were not being killed by the hundreds every week; driven from their homes; faced with no water for periods of 6 days at a time; faced with prostitution; afraid their children will be kidnapped on the way to school; afraid to leave their homes; long gas lines and gouging at the pumps; their homes destroyed by bombs; entire families wiped out by munitions; thousands of tons of poisonous du dumped on their land so they may witness the poisoning of their land and the genetic defects on their descendants.

Shall I really continue Horacid? You should by now get the gist. You have sanctioned Iraqis being taken out of the fire and placed into the raging fire and refuse to acknowledge that their lives today are of lesser quality than they were under Hussein, made so by your sanction. After all, why would you want to openly admit to being their scourge? Well you already have.

There is no freedom under these conditions Horacid, and you blinded by the intense hatred you feel for anything Muslem cannot see this. No! Horacid, the question is why do you pretend to care about these muslems? Why do you, someone who calls for the total annhilation of all muslems, suddenly care for 25,000,000 of them? You don't quite frankly! All you care about is that your white pretend Christian god occupying that big white house on Transylvania[intentional sic] avenue is protected by you at all costs, and those beliefs of yours Horacid, is true bias.

Aye, December 22, 2012 indeed. Does hell have a right-wing publication at the ready?

[edit on 1/24/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i agree with RANT on the politically correct voting experiment oer there

that there mandatory female candidate list wasn't made clear to me in the regular news service....i heard about it from a amateur, budding journalist
in Iraq

This needs verification too, but I just heard they aren't even voting for elected officials. They're voting for a one time assembly, to select a council, to hand pick a President.

Talk about real Democracy twice removed.

And you're right. The more I turn off mainstream news milktoast about how great Iraqi elections will be, the more I learn it's almost a non-event.

Some bizarre experiment in seemingly progressive, but all "show" beta-democracy.

Can you imagine the Senate hand picking an elite council of their bestest buds to name our President?

And someone thinks with over 800 Iraqi political factions, even half of the population is going to be okay with how this goes down? Even a tenth?

How about 1.25%?
That would be considered the "majority" party.

Hopefully, they won't know any better and accept it. Like we used to think we elected the President here. God, were we naive.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join