It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump suggests major shift on deportations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that he would allow exceptions to let some undocumented immigrants to stay in the US, vowing he wouldn't grant them citizenship but telling Fox News, "there's no amnesty, but we work with them."

For Trump, whose rise to the Republican nomination was based in large part on his hardline immigration policies, the comments are the clearest sign yet that he is reconsidering his pledge to deport all of the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US, a key part of his campaign platform.
source

He also said, "...they'll pay back-taxes, they have to pay taxes, there's no amnesty, as such, there's no amnesty, but we work with them..." which is a rather confusing remark, IMHO... because a little fact-checking around shows that they do, indeed pay taxes. It's obvious that they pay state and local taxes when they buy things...but...

However, IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year.[20] Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 70 percent and 80 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.[20] Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.[27]

source: Wikipedia because it's convenient - links to others in article

They also pay social security even though they're not entitled to it.

So... if they've already paid their taxes, Mr. Trump, and have been for the full time they've been here... then what?

I wonder if someone's going to point these facts out to him.

(and from what I've heard, his sudden reversal here was unpopular with the audience. I read one source that said he was booed by his supporters.)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that he would allow exceptions to let some undocumented immigrants to stay in the US, vowing he wouldn't grant them citizenship but telling Fox News, "there's no amnesty, but we work with them."

For Trump, whose rise to the Republican nomination was based in large part on his hardline immigration policies, the comments are the clearest sign yet that he is reconsidering his pledge to deport all of the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US, a key part of his campaign platform.
source

He also said, "...they'll pay back-taxes, they have to pay taxes, there's no amnesty, as such, there's no amnesty, but we work with them..." which is a rather confusing remark, IMHO... because a little fact-checking around shows that they do, indeed pay taxes. It's obvious that they pay state and local taxes when they buy things...but...

However, IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year.[20] Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 70 percent and 80 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.[20] Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.[27]

So... if they've already paid their taxes, Mr. Trump, and have been for the full time they've been here... then what?

(and from what I've heard, his sudden reversal here was unpopular with the audience. I read one source that said he was booed by his supporters.)

They pay sales tax that is all. They don't sign up for selective service, serve jury duty or pay payroll taxes which are State and Federal yet receive the benefits of those taxes like 911, police protection and the fire dept.

edit on 24-8-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
didn't the last amnesty occur during the Reagan admin?
wasn't Reagan a republican?
I think that's somewhat foolish of the candidate considering mostly everyone's ancestors east of the altantic where at one point immigrants to this land.

a reply to: Byrd

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The wall and deporting 8 million illegals was the cornerstone of his campaign.

What's next...no wall?

His supporters have been played for chumps. imo Trump was never serious and had this in mind all along....

www.rawstory.com...

If he bails on the debates....it over!
edit on 24-8-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
didn't the last amnesty occur during the Reagan admin?
wasn't Reagan a republican?
I think that's somewhat foolish of the candidate considering mostly everyone's ancestors east of the altantic where at one point immigrants to this land.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
what if he bernies on his people?
a reply to: olaru12

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

What's next...no wall?

His supporters have been played for chumps. imo Trump was never serious and had this in mind all along....

www.rawstory.com...

If he bails on the debates....it over!

He is likely still serious about it. Obama was serious when he said he would end the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I was at FOB Fenty in Afghanistan when he visited in 08 before election. He promised we would be out of Afghanistan. Fast forward 8 years later and not reality. Never materialized. It looks like Trump is doing the same but on the opposite spectrum. Saying he won't do something but in fact will try to make it reality to get votes.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode
They pay sales tax that is all. They don't sign up for selective service, serve jury duty or pay payroll taxes which are State and Federal yet receive the benefits of those taxes like 911, police protection and the fire dept.

The Pentagon has allowed undocumented aliens to serve as a step towards citizenship

A number of sources say that most pay payroll taxes (or at least it's taken out of their wages by their employers) and pay state and local taxes. They're currently paying about 8 billion dollars in taxes and would pay more under an amnesty program.

(this isn't a new finding. We've known this for a long time)

(and so forth)

And heck, a lot of us regular citizens dodge jury duty (or have never been called)

Trump has kind of painted himself in a corner on this one by not checking the facts.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

What's next...no wall?

There was never going to be a wall.

What can I say about anyone who actually believed that?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

The estimated 6 million people payed about $1,100 each in taxes, and nothing mentions the amount of returns they received. It was more than 7 billion.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

They will up gun the border at least, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

The Pentagon has allowed undocumented aliens to serve as a step towards citizenship

A number of sources say that most pay payroll taxes (or at least it's taken out of their wages by their employers) and pay state and local taxes. They're currently paying about 8 billion dollars in taxes and would pay more under an amnesty program.

(this isn't a new finding. We've known this for a long time)

(and so forth)

And heck, a lot of us regular citizens dodge jury duty (or have never been called)

Trump has kind of painted himself in a corner on this one by not checking the facts.

It's hard to really know. That is the whole point of being undocumented and illegal. No way to capture that data. Many here in TX get paid under the table and can't speak a word of English. AC guys, floor guys, yard guys...whole army of them getting paid cash. I know because people tell me that who hire them. It is impossible to get facts on it without documentation is my point. Nobody knows the scale of it in any capacity beyond the data they capture and they are missing a lot of data.

I have never tried to get out of jury duty. I consider it my duty as a citizen. Also selective service. If things go south that is also my duty even though I retired 20 years. It's not fair to legal citizens that they get called more for jury duty or get called up for service when others get a free pass. Our whole system is bases off of equality and that is the farthest thing from equality of people having to carry more weight than others. It's wrong no matter how you spin it.
edit on 25-8-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

They will up gun the border at least, that's for sure.

I lived on the border. I know how much has been done in the last 20 years.

I've also researched the fence.

Those who continue to believe nothing's been done -- choose to believe that.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Military isn't actively assigned there.
They are probably going to expand the Navajo Scouts style groups as well as creating new patrol elements for the Border patrol.
So far to us the border is insecure and always has been, that must change now.
edit on 25-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

source

WWSAD.

There were more than a bunch of people that were there to boo him.

A lot of protesters were thrown out.

It all was because of immigration.

Besides, now the lefties are disappointed he might not throw everyone out? Really?

I didn't hear him change anything, tho. He still said they will be handled humanely, like how they handle family pets when they get put to sleep. (thought I'd get out in front of that retort)

You quote the IRS. Did it say how much refund money they send them?

Like this,
www.breitbart.com...

IRS Corruption Fuels Billions in Fraudulent Payments to Illegal Aliens

When asked why the agency has a policy to ignore notifications from the Social Security Administration that a number does not match the name used on the tax filing, the agency replies, literally, “That’s not our job.”

The IRS deliberately and unapologetically avoids telling you when your SSN is being used unlawfully by another person — or ten or twenty other people.

Efforts in Congress to fix that problem are criticized as “racist.”

But as I said, that IRS scandal is only the beginning of the story of tax fraud by millions of illegal aliens. Millions of illegal workers are filing tax forms not to pay their taxes but to claim and then receive refundable tax credits– that is, cash refunds– and those cash payments run into the billions annually. It’s politically correct in Washington, DC, to say that illegal aliens are willing, even anxious, to “pay their fair share of taxes.” It’s part of the mythology of the noble “undocumented worker” seeking the American dream. Even the Republican National Committee believes it.

and this,
www.forbes.com...

IRS Admits It Encourages Illegals To Steal Social Security Numbers For Taxes

This isn’t exactly the kind of story the IRS wants buzzing around at tax time. The IRS and Justice Department normally want ‘scared straight’ stories just before Tax Day. Ideally, when an indictment or conviction for tax evasion hits the news, it makes you think twice. Somehow, you think just a bit more about all those deductions, or if you really reported all your income, before you sign your return under penalties of perjury.

Instead, we have the top dog at the IRS, the IRS Commissioner himself, admitting that, well, there’s a problem with illegal immigrants and taxes. In fact, the top IRS official this time wasn’t talking about how the IRS wipes some hard drives or can’t find emails. He wasn’t even asking for a bigger budget to give bonuses to IRS employees.

"What we learned is that … the IRS continues to process tax returns with false W-2 information and issue refunds as if they were routine tax returns, and say that’s not really our job. We also learned the IRS ignores notifications from the Social Security Administration that a name does not match a Social Security number, and you use your own system to determine whether a number is valid.”

Commissioner Koskinen was asked to explain this. He suggested that as long as the information is being used only to fraudulently obtain jobs, the IRS was OK with it. In fact, he said that the IRS actually had an interest in helping the illegal immigrants to crook these rules. In fairness, perhaps it’s just the ‘that’s not my department’ response that abounds in big government. Perhaps this just isn’t the IRS’s problem, but it sure seems odd to have any agency chief encouraging illegal immigrant theft of SSNs.

So that's the IRS we all know and love.

edit on 8 25 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

They are probably going to expand the Navajo Scouts style groups as well as creating new patrol elements for the Border patrol.

Where do they have Navajo Style Scouts now?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It is kind of amusing to watch Trump try and pull this off. At the rally in Tampa today his reading from the teleprompter was not getting the normal response from the crowd so veered off of it and started back on the hard line immigration position and got the response he wanted from the crowd. This is going to be a problem of him again saying two different things on the same day, catering to whatever audience is in front of him seeming clueless that people will notice. The is frankly to little to late. His hardcore supporter do not like it and the rest of America is not going to buy it as anything than a desperate move. It is even worse when he can not control himself and sell it. Of all his faults Trumps lack of self control has hurt him more than anything. Of course you would not want somebody like that in office anyway so I suppose it takes care of itself.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

source

WWSAD.

There were more than a bunch of people that were there to boo him.

A lot of protesters were thrown out.

It all was because of immigration.

Besides, now the lefties are disappointed he might not throw everyone out? Really?

I didn't hear him change anything, tho. He still said they will be handled humanely, like how they handle family pets when they get put to sleep. (thought I'd get out in front of that retort)

You quote the IRS. Did it say how much refund money they send them?

Like this,
www.breitbart.com...

IRS Corruption Fuels Billions in Fraudulent Payments to Illegal Aliens

When asked why the agency has a policy to ignore notifications from the Social Security Administration that a number does not match the name used on the tax filing, the agency replies, literally, “That’s not our job.”

The IRS deliberately and unapologetically avoids telling you when your SSN is being used unlawfully by another person — or ten or twenty other people.

Efforts in Congress to fix that problem are criticized as “racist.”

But as I said, that IRS scandal is only the beginning of the story of tax fraud by millions of illegal aliens. Millions of illegal workers are filing tax forms not to pay their taxes but to claim and then receive refundable tax credits– that is, cash refunds– and those cash payments run into the billions annually. It’s politically correct in Washington, DC, to say that illegal aliens are willing, even anxious, to “pay their fair share of taxes.” It’s part of the mythology of the noble “undocumented worker” seeking the American dream. Even the Republican National Committee believes it.

and this,
www.forbes.com...

IRS Admits It Encourages Illegals To Steal Social Security Numbers For Taxes

This isn’t exactly the kind of story the IRS wants buzzing around at tax time. The IRS and Justice Department normally want ‘scared straight’ stories just before Tax Day. Ideally, when an indictment or conviction for tax evasion hits the news, it makes you think twice. Somehow, you think just a bit more about all those deductions, or if you really reported all your income, before you sign your return under penalties of perjury.

Instead, we have the top dog at the IRS, the IRS Commissioner himself, admitting that, well, there’s a problem with illegal immigrants and taxes. In fact, the top IRS official this time wasn’t talking about how the IRS wipes some hard drives or can’t find emails. He wasn’t even asking for a bigger budget to give bonuses to IRS employees.

"What we learned is that … the IRS continues to process tax returns with false W-2 information and issue refunds as if they were routine tax returns, and say that’s not really our job. We also learned the IRS ignores notifications from the Social Security Administration that a name does not match a Social Security number, and you use your own system to determine whether a number is valid.”

Commissioner Koskinen was asked to explain this. He suggested that as long as the information is being used only to fraudulently obtain jobs, the IRS was OK with it. In fact, he said that the IRS actually had an interest in helping the illegal immigrants to crook these rules. In fairness, perhaps it’s just the ‘that’s not my department’ response that abounds in big government. Perhaps this just isn’t the IRS’s problem, but it sure seems odd to have any agency chief encouraging illegal immigrant theft of SSNs.

So that's the IRS we all know and love.

It's pointless. Mainly because there are really only a handful of states dealing with it. Everyone else, they have no skin in the game. Someone in Michigan is not dealing with this problem or Maryland so they don't consider it a problem. It's only a problem when they see it with their own eyes and it has an effect on their communities. Look at the pandering in this thread...jury duty who cares....selective service who cares...stats on taxes...well the government said this...blah blah. It's not even ignorance, just straight up being obtuse because they don't see it in their communities so a non issue.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Not just Navajo,Seminole,Apache and a few others.
Arizona .New Mexico ,California.
The one I know of are the Shadow wolves,well thought of ...www.banderasnews.com...

All the best military talent is OUT of the service already,they only have NEW guys and OBUTTHEAD removed a great deal of the the combat forces with the budget cuts.
edit on 25-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Not just Navajo,Seminole,Apache and a few others.
Arizona .New Mexico ,California.
The one I know of are the Shadow wolves,well thought of ...www.banderasnews.com...

All the best military talent is OUT of the service already,they only have NEW guys and OBUTTHEAD removed a great deal of the the combat forces with the budget cuts.

The Shadow Wolves are Border Patrol. They're a division within the Border Patrol.

One of the largest Marine bases in the US is in SW AZ. Some of them go Border Patrol. But, one problem with Border Patrol is they're like the military, they station you where ever they decide you're needed. You have no choice. Many coming out of the military want to stay put with their families.

edit on 25-8-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join