It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which direction is Earth Travelling Through Space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
East ,West South or North

I really do not have a lot to put to this post because i do not know where to start.I just would like to know which direction this planet is moving in our beloved solar system.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ImmortalLegend527

I don't think the answer is as simple as NSEW...

Everything is rotating in our solar system, and in the galaxy...

NSEW are polar directions... so IF we logically follow the question said directions are dynamic

SO lets just say we're going that way >>----->

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

If time in the east is ahead of the west, and there's a tilt to the earth.....↗️

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

ah good point... i stand corrected

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's more a question of which direction is our sun headed, right? All the planets are tagging along that guy.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

NSEW are polar directions... so IF we logically follow the question said directions are dynamic

So would that be...east,Akragon?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

A good question. With these computers revving up these days surely some computer has looked at all the speeds and directions and the variables involved and determined that there is a direction you can point to and say with some certainty that at exactly this moment in time we're going this way.

link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
It's more a question of which direction is our sun headed, right? All the planets are tagging along that guy.
So which direction is that?

link   

It depends on if you're viewing from below the plane looking up, or above the plane, looking down.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

*shrug*

Which direction is east when east isn't ever one direction?

East would be west on the other side of the planet... at least from Here

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

We change direction, albeit slowly, all the time. Theory is our system was part of another Galaxy that was absorbed by the milky way.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I would say this is the best guess as far as we know...

But again, which direction is this?

Perhaps away from where it all started?

edit on 12-8-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527
East ,West South or North

I really do not have a lot to put to this post because i do not know where to start.I just would like to know which direction this planet is moving in our beloved solar system.

I honestly can't tell if this is a serious question, similar to questions like "At what elevation do deer become elk?"(yes, people have seriously asked this question), or if you have a lot more to say but are hoping/waiting for someone to give you the answer you're looking for.

To be fair, I don't believe your question can be answered, at least not with the directions you've given us. N/S/E/W only exist on our planet to help us navigate. It's easy to utilize those directions because even though we live in a 3D world, we mostly move along a 2D plane(not counting flying).

In space, we can move along the entire x/y/z planes(assuming one has the technology to do so), so there is no simple N/S/E/W directions to adhere to. So I think your answer is like many have said:

-------------------------> It's that way lol

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Its right about that way, then take a left.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I agree if there is no "up" or "down" in space than yeah direction is a bit relative to perspective. We would have to know the location of a cosmic center to align with as "north" then we could work the rest out from there I guess.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We're going that way.

Which is 42°SNouth Weast from magnetic down.
edit on 12-8-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The Sun is moving towards Lambda Herculis at 20 kilometers per second (or 12 miles per second). Our own solar system is tipped by about 63 degrees with respect to the plane of the galaxy, so the planets orbits are in no way aligned with the path our solar system takes through the galaxy (our solar system is not a vortex, as sometimes claimed). We're currently around 27,000 light-years away from the galactic center and move around it with an angular orbital velocity of about 218 km per second, also the sun is slowly moving upwards out of the galactic plane with ~7 km per second

edit on 12-8-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

If you were hovering above the solar system, looking down on the north pole of the earth, then the earth would be moving anti-clockwise around the Sun.

The galaxy has been given an arbitrary "north" and "south" by astronomers, and the "north" of the solar system sort of matches that orientation -- although I say "sort of" because the solar system is tilted at about 60 degrees to the plane of the galaxy, with the solar systems' "north" pointing up and away from the galactic core....

...So if we were hovering above the galactic plane and looking down on the "north pole" of the galaxy, the spiral arms of the galaxy, and our solar system in one of those arms, would be appearing to spinning clockwise.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If it´s true that the universe is expanding then I think this would be the ultimate direction. So if you look into the center, it´s like you look out of the rear window in a car.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Which direction is Earth Travelling Through Space

Around in circles, kind of circling a drain.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join