It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which direction is Earth Travelling Through Space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 12-8-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527
East ,West South or North

I really do not have a lot to put to this post because i do not know where to start.I just would like to know which direction this planet is moving in our beloved solar system.

Since you specified "in our beloved solar system"...

If we take the whole Solar System as a spinning entity (which it was when it was formed), the Earth is travelling East, the same direction it's spinning. All other planets are doing the same, except Venus spins the other way round.

If it's hard to comprehend, imagine a merry-go-round that's spinning counter-clockwise. That's our Solar System with its planets.

Galactic-wise, our Solar System also travels East!

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Which direction in relation to what? The entire universe is a mobile entity and nothibg within in it is static, or fixed position in space
The Earth moves in the solar system, the solar system moves within the galaxy, the galaxy moves within the cosmic background, which itself is moving.

Without a point of reference you cannot determine a direction in which the earth is traveling in the cosmic background.

You can only say if it is moving towards/away from some other entity in space, be it a system or single heavenly body.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki
Pretty much everyone in this thread (except me) missed that the OP specified "in our solar system"

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
towards the star Vega....away from Sirius
so happy, finally an answer I knew!! then the galaxy gets in another league.

add....that Vega is right under the pereseides rising before midnite....up there hugging the area by the north star....down under cassiopiea

edit on 12-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 12-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 12-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think there is only 2 directions in space, out or in.
We are going out. So are most things.
Out from the center of the initial launch.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki
Which direction in relation to what? The entire universe is a mobile entity and nothibg within in it is static, or fixed position in space
The Earth moves in the solar system, the solar system moves within the galaxy, the galaxy moves within the cosmic background, which itself is moving.

Without a point of reference you cannot determine a direction in which the earth is traveling in the cosmic background.

You can only say if it is moving towards/away from some other entity in space, be it a system or single heavenly body.
Very interesting, with that being said do you think or is it plausible that the universe has already expanded and that the universe, the galaxies and everything else is just spinning /rotating/revolving,just spinning/rotating/revolving around.

I wonder does the universe itself revolve or spinning, not expanding?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Im sure we are defiantly going forwards.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ImmortalLegend527
In wich direction do you look, when you look out of your rear window? Backwards.
If we apply logic and suppose that the universe expands from a point in the center, if you look at the center, you look backwards.

The funny thing is, if you then turn around and look forward (away from the center) you also look into the past.
Because the photons from the stars "in front of us" had some time to travel, even on lightspeed.

That being sad, we always see the past. If you look around you see infinite pasts, since everything has already happened. The further you go away from a object, the more "time-offset" you get. If a star goes out in the milkyway, it´s been thousands (the further, the longer) years ago. You just recognize it because the last photons it´s been sending out have reached you.

Imagine it like you have a garden hose with high pressure, you can shoot little "water spears". The same with light, except if you do it, one second is (using SI) 299 792 458 m long. So if you point a laser at the sky and hold the button for one second, you will produce a 299792458m long streak of light. If you would have a (very) slow motion camera that would be able to run on 299792458 frames per second you could see laser like in the movies, when streaks of light fly through space.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Actually no.

this is a larger picture. Watch.

Let alone our local movement in a galaxy. The galaxy is heading to the Great Attractor. Maybe on a very large scale the superclusters are very slowly moving away from each other but I don't know if it's what we can observe or it is a theory to fit the big bang theory... Maybe we'll never be able to observe and measure the relative movement of superclusters. I mean for long enough to clearly see their movement direction against each other and from one starting point. To me it looks rather like a chaotic life movement in a steady space of oceanic water. It doesn't mean they won't tell you that they know - check their ridiculous MO claiming a 10 miles wide object in a galaxy so far that it alone is seen as a pixel:
Most powerfull supernova ever seen?

edit on 13/8/2016 by PapagiorgioCZ because: filled out

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
NSWE is meaningless in space.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Down.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
earth around the sun, sun around the galaxy.
milky way around?
They Dont know ware the big bang was? if any bang!
so you can Not find any direction. never will.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
NSWE is meaningless in space.

Well, there are agreed-upon conventions about directions in space. The part of the solar system above the ecliptic and above the North pole of the Earth is called "North".

Similarly, the galaxy has a north direction and a south direction that are agreed-upon by the International Astronomical Union so everyone would be using the same nomenclature to describe things. the "North" side of the Galaxy would be the direction above the disk that you would be if, when looking down at the galactic disc, the rotation of the galaxy is clockwise.

Sure, those directions are relatively arbitrary, but so is "North" and "South" on Earth. There is no reason that back when they were deciding on the conventional way to describe the direction that, say, Scotland is from London, that they didn't call that direction "south" and say that Africa was 'north" of London.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
earth around the sun, sun around the galaxy.
milky way around?
They Dont know ware the big bang was? if any bang!
so you can Not find any direction. never will.

The theory goes that the Big Bang was everywhere. Where you are sitting right now was within the Big Bang -- and so was the the point where some alien is sitting in a galaxy 15 Billion light years away.

The Big Bang was not an explosion of matter in space that radiated outwards in that space. Instead, it was sudden expansion of that space itself.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Probably already been said, but, there is no NSEW in space. That is entirely dictated by our own planet's magnetic poles.

In space, there are only two points on any given plane. Thus, a line that connects them.

To get those two points, you have to have 12 points of reference at a minimum....6 for each point.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiguaEstrella

Probably already been said, but, there is no NSEW in space. That is entirely dictated by our own planet's magnetic poles.

Erm, no. Any rotating system can be described in terms of east and west. The Solar System, itself, is a rotating system, and the OP specified exactly our place in the solar system. To that effect, we're travelling east.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Maybe i asked the wrong question maybe i should of asked which way is this galaxy headed..i don't know.

Don't worry about it, I was being an ass

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Ermmm, no.

NSEW are aspects of a magnetic pole, with two ends. We have dictated one specifically as North, the other south. Then, East and West are 90 degrees from either end.

Yes, our solar system is planar. But, that does not note alignment with anything else outside of the solar system.

A plane does not have up or down, left or right, NSEW.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join