It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Mods allowed to star posts more than us regulars?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I have no problems with the mods and how they do things. They have given me applause, as well as warnings and penalties when I've been a bad boy. The mods giveth and taketh away.

Same.

I wouldn't want their job, it must be a pain in the ass dealing with us.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DAVID64

It's not our site. It's the owners' site. It's their front page - not our front page. This isn't a newspaper. It is a private website opened up to the public. We, as members, aren't owed a decision on anything, except whether to post here or not. Many times the site owners ask our opinions on things, but they certainly don't have to. We aren't customers who have paid for a service and deserve certain rights because of it.

And I DO decide what's important to me. I only read the threads I want to - and those threads aren't always on the front page.

You do understand that they make a lot of money from selling us, when will people understand ATS is not something given to us by god, its a firm and as with all firms they will be here for as long as they can make enough money by selling us

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
You do understand that they make a lot of money from selling us, when will people understand ATS is not something given to us by god, its a firm and as with all firms they will be here for as long as they can make enough money by selling us

And? No one makes any of us post here. There are countless more sites out there and if they were worthwhile posting at most of us would spend more time there instead of here.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Meh, just whinge bags...plenty of other crap forums to choose from out there in cyber world.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

And you get to use all the fun they offer us for free...running this site is not cheap or free, so somebody has to pay for it since the members don't.

And if they make so much money why ask for donations to help when times were tough...that pretty much shows they aren't making a big profit for as you say " they are selling us to make money".

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm confused and perhaps someone can kindly clarify some of it for me?

How would anyone know who is starring/flagging any posts or threads?

I understand that a Mod told someone directly and since we have not heard from that Mod 'why' they said what they did, one possibility is that they were joking around or trying to get 'under someone's skin' which seems to have worked well.

When reminded of the Sparta thread I recalled it and remember giving it a flag and star, because I enjoyed it and viewed it multiple times, and did not comment. I don't understand the 'given extra flags'. How would one know that they were given 'extra'? I flag and star all the time and often do not comment.

If I were running a forum board, I would want the most active (popular could be a word used interchangeably) and/or controversial threads running on the front page to hopefully solicit new member interest.

A few nights ago, a Mod started a thread (can't recall the title now) and it received a massive amount of flags within the first hour. By massive I mean 30+, if I remember correctly, and I was struck by that number as it was not in my opinion a very well put together OP. It was almost as lame as some threads I've started! It was about the US election, racism, along those lines. Another Mod entered the thread and posted a disagreeable comment so I don't believe that all Mods collectively agree and push an agenda as they all seem, to me at least, to have individual opinions.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Chickensalad

Nope. I want it addressed.

I'm not throwing the mod who told me under the bus, but I don't lie. I also don't want to have this nonsense keep going.

I think you just did.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

And you are free to walk away any time you want.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I was aware that mods could offer applause, and I think that's a super cool thing. It's nice to feel like you have been recognized by someone. However I wasn't ever aware that mods could dole out multiple stars or flags.....Even if I had been aware, I'm not too sure I'd have a strong opinion on that either way.

I'll keep reading just to see if there is any confirmation or denial, as I am a little curious, now that it has been addressed.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
A while back a mod posted on a thread they can give up to two stars. It's not like it's some big conspiratorial secret, nor is it a big deal. Why have a meltdown over such trivia?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

And you get to use all the fun they offer us for free...running this site is not cheap or free, so somebody has to pay for it since the members don't.

And if they make so much money why ask for donations to help when times were tough...that pretty much shows they aren't making a big profit for as you say " they are selling us to make money".

Read how they ask for money, understand the words they use. What they are say is infact the same as if you walked into a shop and the shop owner asks you to pay double for everything so he can make more money. Not only do they sell us but they can sell every thing we write or picture we post, on top of that we do all the work

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

To me, it doesn't matter whether they can or can't. I don't post here for stars, and I don't look for the posts/threads with the most stars/flags. I look for the content that interests me the most. I know how to browse the site looking for interesting content. I have no problem finding it. What would stop me from coming here would be lack of interesting content - not whether there were multiple stars/flags awarded by the mods.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Don't post here then, start your own forum which conforms to whatever you're whining about.
Send me a link lol

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Was that supposed to be a reply to me? I never insinuated anyone should leave if they can.

In fact, I think the star and flag system is nice, but not the main point. I come here to read and learn and be entertained. I come here to have my curiosity piqued. Quite frankly, I don't look at the top home page, I just go to new because I'm on here all day reading all the new things that have topics of interest for me. So basically it seems like you and I agree on that front.

Its nice to know not everyone is totally infatuated by or swayed by the star system.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
I can promise you that nobody will star that post.

hee hee

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
I can promise you that nobody will star that post.

hee hee

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Read how they ask for money, understand the words they use.

Yes they said it was getting expensive to keep the security features up to help with DDOS attacks, so exactly what is it you think was being said?

What they are say is infact the same as if you walked into a shop and the shop owner asks you to pay double for everything so he can make more money.

No it isn't because you are not paying for anything and it is up to you whether or not you want to donate...they aren't charging for use of this site so it is nothing close to your example.

Not only do they sell us but they can sell every thing we write or picture we post, on top of that we do all the work

Feel free to provide any and all evidence this has happened and the owners of ATS have done this.

Also this is a member oriented site where the members provide the content...that is why we do all the work and the owners aren't the ones providing the content.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Don't post here then, start your own forum which conforms to whatever you're whining about.
Send me a link lol

Not whining just telling how it is, but yours is a strange reaction to been told you are been used everyway the owners can think of to make money from you

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

My understanding is that a Mod can give two stars to a post, one flag.

Hey, its how they get paid! All those hours (and I'm not kidding) learning behind-the-scenes protocols and getting with other Mods to hash out what should be done when an alert pops up -- it's time consuming!

ATS doesn't pay Mods, the volunteer, so they get a wee perk. Two stars per post instead of one.

That's my take on it.

- AB

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Not whining just telling how it is, but yours is a strange reaction to been told you are been used everyway the owners can think of to make money from you

And yet your response is non sense as it cost money to run this site why is it hard for you to understand that they have to have some form of revenue to pay for something you use for free.

Or would you rather pay a fee to use this site, and again can you provide anything that backs your claims about the way ATS pays the bills for a free site?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join