It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Processed Foods Do You Avoid and Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
We're all aware that the food processing industry isn't pretty. Some of us avoid processed foods, some of us are in the middle, and some of us could care less.

My partner and I are pretty traditional when it comes to food, mostly because we both happened to be raised that way, but there are some things we just love. Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup is my weakness, instant noodles from Japan and Korea get him every time.

There are some things I really hate the thought of eating, even though I likely eat worse and don't know it.

Pre-shredded cheese! The thought of eating cellulose (aka wood) with my cheese makes my stomach hurt.

Orange Juice. Commercially available orange juice is stripped of all oxygen, essentially making it tasteless, and then reflavoured. This mentally weirds me out. I'd rather eat an orange, personally.

Those weird boxes of chicken breasts that say "x% meat protein". I've never looked into this, but just the disclosure that the rest of the "meat"...isn't...is enough for me to avoid.

I'll eat a hot dog once in a while with no qualms whatsoever. What are the processed foods that just creep you out? No judgment, just a chit chat thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Those cheese sliced singles any type of cheese which is like that.
Oh and white sliced bread like warburtons it is processed bread.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I agree with you on the OJ. I hate OJ from concentrate its Tropicana or bust.

I don't eat fish from the box what so ever I find it bland and mushy. Even the breaded fillets their insides are just this gray fish matter to me. Living in northern Canada has spoiled me in terms of fish because we have to many lakes with so many kinds of fish that have never touched pollution and fertilizer, and they are free if you have the gear to catch em.

My main processed food weakness is cheese whiz.. on rye bread toast it's sooo good.

edit on 25-7-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The more food is processed the more food value is lost. The more machines it is run through, the more additives and stuff to prevent associated bacteria from all the processing and handling.

They want to make stuff safer for consumption, they boil it, homogenize it, sterilize it, irradiate it, add color, taste and preservatives.

The best food is straight from the source. Self contained in its own skin, shell or rind, preserved naturally, fresh and whole.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Potted meat food product.
If you never heard of it, Google search it.
Armour makes it.

One of the ingredients is 'partially defatted beef fatty tissue '.
Yep, it's that good.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I agree, but we don't always follow those rules. Even if we do most of the time.

Just a warning to anyone who hasn't seen Food Inc. , it's not for everyone, but is eye opening.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Hmm.. McDonalds but i do get some cravings once in a while and buy myself a HUGE meal

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Partially defatted beef fatty tissue has peaked my intrest I was going to google it!

But then I realized this might be one of those things you can't un-see and its burned into your mind forever

a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

What's your McWeakness. I'm not a big fan, but a few times a year if I'm driving somewhere really early, I'll drive through for coffee and hashbrowns.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Hey, you're dangerously close sh!tin on my Spam... Spam won the war man, come on... and it's soooo goood...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I would think of these as glue bread and garbage bag cheese. I don't buy them, but if someone offered me a grilled cheese made with them, I wouldn't feed it to the dog.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Even Tropicana! They reflavour it to make it all taste the same.

I get you on the fish. Boxed fish is so expensive compared to even cheaper fresh fish at the super market.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

I've never tried Spam. I wonder how many people are in the same boat?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

El Maco..

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
We've been on a kick to avoid added sweetener, even sugar.

Our kiddo has enough energy without adding more.

But mainly, if it must come out of a box or can, bottle or jar, I try to get as few ingredients as I can.

But, sausage and bacon and stuff like that gets a pass.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's insane how much sugar is in everything.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: rexsblues

I've never tried Spam. I wonder how many people are in the same boat?

Spam, the boyscout staple. It comes in a can so you can spam a week out, warmed over the fire. It tasted like crap but usually you were too hungry to care.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Stay away from white bread mainly.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I polled the family and we were surprised at the amount of processed food we do eat. I suppose the one thing that is our guilty (not guilty really just us being lazy) pleasure is lunch meat.
If we've had a very busy day we can just come in and make a sammich instead of the whole production of a meal.
You can mask the flavor, somewhat, with tomato and onion.
We don't eat much canned food and prefer fresh/frozen vegetables as you can regulate the cooking time so that they aren't cooked to death.
During travel sports season we do stop at chain restaurants and, occasionally, McDonald's and I don't eat it but I do crave is the McCafe. If anyone doesn't know it's some sort of coffee drink with addictive properties (to me anyway).
We order pizza and take out, again, when we've been busy and are being lazy. I have two crock pots but just can't be bothered with the preparation on work/school days.

We have started drinking more and more water. I haven't had any soda/tea since April 25, 2015. I feel so much better! I would highly recommend that lifestyle change to at least try. Of course, my coffee/alcohol consumption has increased exponentially!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
None really.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join