It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Processed Foods Do You Avoid and Why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
Antibiotics is the answer!

The booze will kinda nullify them.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

My horrendous comfort food is cream of mushroom soup on mashed potatoes. Mmmm, nutritional wasteland.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We pretty much avoid all processed foods. We eat almost no pasta or breads, no sweets, no refined flours or sugars. Everything we eat is organic, whole food, and vegetarian.

Processed foods we DO eat:
Tofurky sausages (organic)
Organic veggie burgers
Organic vegan chick'n
Vegan cheese
Vegenaise (organic)
Whole grain tortillas (organic)

Sometimes I make bread with white flour but that is very rare.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OuttaHere
We pretty much avoid all processed foods. We eat almost no pasta or breads, no sweets, no refined flours or sugars. Everything we eat is organic, whole food, and vegetarian.

Processed foods we DO eat:
Tofurky sausages (organic)
Organic veggie burgers
Organic vegan chick'n
Vegan cheese
Vegenaise (organic)
Whole grain tortillas (organic)
Sometimes I make bread with white flour but that is very rare.

I'm leaning toward vegetarianism. I developed some sort of tomato allergy some months back and that caused me to cease any tomato based sauces (neapolitan-ish). I thought I had conquered it and then indulged in a Bloody Mary that sent me into oblivion(not in a good way!).

I don't really miss the meat, per se, but wonder if I am lacking in the protein dept. My family eats more meat than I do for sure.

I like to 'listen' to my body and it's cravings and wonder if I should be concerned. I'm curious what 'vegan' chicken is.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
I've never tried that but it sounds good.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I eat a lot of beans, plus I have worked fish into my diet. That's a really good protein source. I was eating total vegan before that but had the same concern. If you have an adventurous spirit try sardines. I love the skinless and boneless in olive oil. They are some of the healthiest fish around. Check them out. Protein, omega-3s, all the good stuff plus they have such short life spans they collect little mercury.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I eat them all i think. No not quite but

I am not at the point in life where i try to avoid anything save for soda. My blood sugar and pressure and all that are fine. I currently have a metabolism where i can eat literally as much of anything as i can stomach and i will not gain a pound that sticks. I am aware this will change with age but for now i am enjoying it.

I like me some white sliced bread out of laziness for sandwhiches. I do think non sliced bread tastes much better but still. I also love love love me some milk. Whole or pref 2%. I could literally drink a gallon of milk every two days.

I do turn my nose up to sliced pre packaged cheese though and again no soda like ever. Energy drinks though? I am still a sucker for a Monster or a rockstar. Probably worse than soda for ya but..

I drink a whole lot of coffee. Is there is anything to that stunts your growth saying it definitely happened to me. I also drink alcohol. But i kicked smoking so theres that.

I love some french style canned green beans and cream of mushroom. I do not eat fast food very often. Taco bell has a few items I am a sucker for occassionaly as well as the Hot N spicys from mcdonalds but that is all.

I moved to the gulf recently so I get fresh seafood of all kinds pretty regularly. And i love some homecooked chicken or pork or beef. From the store though.

Living life as a vegetarian or worse a vegan is like a worst nightmare for me. Sure maybe ill live an extra few years and maybe 'feel better' but it is simply not worth it to give up those delicious tastes in my opinion.

Water is important to me though. Lots of water everyday is most important i believe.

Colon cancer will probably kick my ass in a few decades.

Eta: I did take Anatomy and Physiology at university where i learned the food pyramid they push in the US is completely bogus. Grains for instance are not really all that important but it is the major cash crop for our country so there ya go.
edit on 25-7-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

I eat a lot of beans, plus I have worked fish into my diet. That's a really good protein source. I was eating total vegan before that but had the same concern. If you have an adventurous spirit try sardines. I love the skinless and boneless in olive oil. They are some of the healthiest fish around. Check them out. Protein, omega-3s, all the good stuff plus they have such short life spans they collect little mercury.

I'm not sure if I can 'stuff down' sardines but I may try.
I've seen folks eat them on crackers with hot sauce and it looks tasty but the smell is a little strong for me.

I like beans. If I could get away with just eating a container of sardines a day and some beans, say a handful, I think I could get on board with that.

I wonder if that's enough food. I'll have to look that up!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Go Danish and eat Kippers for breackfast!

Fresh made cheese is easy if you have the space! Most don't... like me. So, you got to hold on to what you... it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not... carp!, thats bon jovi...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm a scratch cook so we do pretty well to avoid the boxed or frozen dinners. I have gardens for fresh veggies and we even have a few peaches on our baby trees. The Farmers' Market provides local fruits, eggs and clean meat.
We take the opportunity of the summer Markets to fill our freezers with fresh foods. Tomorrow we're making stuffed peppers for the freezer because the Veggie Fairy just delivered a huge grocery sack of green peppers, a bag of squash and a big tub of tomatoes.
I've discovered that fresh, unprocessed bacon tastes like---bacon! There's really no need for the chemicals. Same with country sausage---meat and spices---no need for unpronounceable ingredients.
I'll freely admit to eating Spam, bologna and hot dogs on occasion. Haven't eaten fast food in more than twenty years beyond stopping for a Sonic Coney Dog if we are traveling. Can't beat their onion rings either!
However, I'm certainly no purist in the food arena. My daughter was shocked---just wide-eyed shocked, the other evening when I grabbed a box of instant potatoes from the pantry to stretch the mashed potatoes I'd made for dinner. (A couple of extras showed up for dinner that evening.) I suppose I take a more moderate approach, allowing myself the guilty pleasure of Spam and eggs from time to time or a Spam and pineapple sandwich on my homemade chive bread. My Beloved makes most of our bread with me filling in making the rolls, buns and flatbreads for sandwiches. Pizza crusts too, now that we live where there is no pizza delivery.
I avoid soda. My Beloved is down to one Pepsi a day----from a high a few years ago of almost a twelve-pack a day. We've become water drinkers since we have a well without chemicals.
I avoid anything with artificial sweeteners. Those things make me feel like I've had a stroke.
I avoid anything with MSG in it because it makes my extremities swell and ache.
I avoid fake dairy products because they give me hot flashes and mood swings.
I avoid fake fats like margarine because my chemistry professor told me they are one molecule away from being plastic and the major cause of clogged arteries in humans.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Gardein chick'n is made of soy
Beyond meat products are made of soy and pea protein isolate
Tofurky sausage is a combination of soy and seitan (wheat) protein ( which is delicious as long as you are not gluten sensitive)
However, the above meat substitutes qualify as processed foods which is why I mentioned them.

We eat lots of tempeh as well, which is a healthier way to eat soy. I wouldn't call tempeh a processed food, it is pretty much in its natural state.

We eat plenty of local, organic, pasture raised eggs from a local farmer who has a small (flock?) of chickens. Plus we eat lots of organic beans and legumes.

We get plenty of protein.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I try to avoid the most that I can. Unless,

originally posted by: OuttaHere

Gardein chick'n is made of soy
Beyond meat products are made of soy and pea protein isolate
Tofurky sausage is a combination of soy and seitan (wheat) protein ( which is delicious as long as you are not gluten sensitive)
However, the above meat substitutes qualify as processed foods which is why I mentioned them.

We eat lots of tempeh as well, which is a healthier way to eat soy. I wouldn't call tempeh a processed food, it is pretty much in its natural state.

We eat plenty of local, organic, pasture raised eggs from a local farmer who has a small (flock?) of chickens. Plus we eat lots of organic beans and legumes.

We get plenty of protein.

Same here with the soy products. Also process my own hemp seeds with beans, etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I avoid as much processed food as possible, along with greasy food. yuk. Along with any food that may have a face and still moving on my plate when the waiter serves me. double yuk.

Organic all the way!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Yeah, haven't had MickeyDees in over a decade. I do try to keep it as such... and fail at times. That is what happens every now and then.

Most beer is local made with no filtering (i.e., has yeast) which is good for you! So hope that is in the "good" column.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I hate mostly all processed foods now. I stopped trying to use american recipes because they always include processed products which I can't even get here! Even down to vanilla- only "vanilla extract" is called for, where all I can get is vanilla pods. I tried making a homemade version of Campbells cream of mushroom soup, onion dip without the package of freeze dried onion soup, etc. Doesn't work- I don't have the correct flavor enhancing chemicals.

I did find myself happily eating a hotdog once in a while- I share that weakness with the OP!

I absolutely hate with a passion that orange processed american cheese-food, and get very verbal when the europeans call it "cheddar".

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Never been much of a beer drinker but I was raised drinking wine my Dad made. Grapes, elderberries, blackberries, plums and cherries---we had all of them and when Mama was finished making juices and jellies, he got the rest for his wine.
There is a local winery near us now that makes wine that tastes exactly like his so I've been enjoying a nice glass of wine after dinner.
It seems to me that moderation is the key. It was taught to me as mindful eating, the process of being aware of what nutritional needs each food intake are meeting. Because I hate swallowing pills I do my best to get my vitamins and minerals from the food I eat. At the same time, I try to avoid consuming toxins that will make my body work hard to expel. For me, that combination seems to work.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I try to stay away from most processed foods, I don't eat cheese of random chicken fingers for the same reasons as you OP.
I do find myself eating junk food every now and then, like Crisps (potato chips) and things like that.
I have a stomach issue which has basically forced my hand to eat better.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

You'd be surprised how mild the sardines I eat are. They aren't cheap, I get a case of 25 cans for over $60 from Amazon, but they are worth it. They don't taste in the least bit fishy and they have the bones and skin removed. 26g protein in one can.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I absolutely hate with a passion that orange processed american cheese-food, and get very verbal when the europeans call it "cheddar".

Haha = that's the first time I've heard that. Cheddar?

You're right about the cheese-food. I eat sliced cheese from the grocery, but it's actual sliced cheese.

I don't care a whit about organic, but I try to eat real food. Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and vegetables. And I do splurge on some sort of potato a few times a week.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I just started doing the following: no matter how good it tastes, no matter how hungry I was when I started, I give my self ten minutes to enjoy the meal proper. That keeps me from continuing to that stuffed and bloated feeling. That feeling cannot be good for your health. Every meal should not be Thanksgiving Day, 2,000+ calories. If I do not finish then I have left overs.

Instead of one huge meal with snacking here and there, I've cut down on snacking and now eat about 3 times a day (if I am not being active, it drops to two). Lost some weight but I chalk that up to summertime and being more active. Since it is summer, been veggie heavy in the meals too.

LOL, "dad got the left over berry juice for wine"! Sounds awesome! My mom and dad drank beer from a red, white, and blue can (I can't stand the stuff). So no memories to tie me down to brand loyalty there. Glad you found a place that brews local wine!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join