It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio judge sends lawyer to jail for wearing ‘Black Lives Matter’ pin in court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Attorney Andrea Burton was arrested at a Youngstown, Ohio courthouse for exercising here right to free speech. Judge Robert Milich had reportedly asked Burton several times to remove a Black Live Matter pin during a court session, citing a Supreme court ruling allowing judges to prohibit political symbols from the courtroom.

Burton tried to argue that her first amendment rights overrule the Supreme case law but ultimately failed and was charged with contempt of court.

“It’s an act of civil disobedience, I understand that. I’m not anti-police, I work with law enforcement and I hold them in the highest regard, and just to say for the record I do believe all lives matter. But at this point they don’t all matter equally, and that’s the problem in the justice system,” NYDailyNews

+22 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Maybe she should have listened to the judge, then afterwards, started her own court case on the issue? This reminds me of arguing on the side of the road with the police. You are not going to change their mind nor win the fight. Take it up where it belongs.

I also find her story troubling, about how she supports the police. If she really supported the police, why would she wear a pin based on a group who hates the police and lies about the police? Does not make any sense.
edit on 23-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

She was charged with contempt of court after

I have no dog in the BLM divide and conquer saga but she was in contempt of court and as a lawyer she knows that court is not a medium to exercise your free speech

The NY headline is sensational.

Lawyers get contempt all the time.

Edit :

I have no faith in the justice system and am in no way defending it.
edit on 23-7-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Are BLM a political movement ?

I thought they where a protest group.

This makes the U.S. cries of " Land Of The Free " look like a load of eyewash.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It is the judges courtroom. You can't wear a ball cap or any type of hat.

I think if the judge asked her to remove it, you remove it and carry on with the proceedings.

I guess she decided to defy the judge and went to jail.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

It is a political movement, which also protests. Everything about them is political as far as the political changes they are trying to make.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

Sentencing people to jail for being dissidents is illegal.

So he contrived something from nothing.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

Attorney Andrea Burton was arrested at a Youngstown, Ohio courthouse for exercising here right to free speech. Judge Robert Milich had reportedly asked Burton several times to remove a Black Live Matter pin during a court session, citing a Supreme court ruling allowing judges to prohibit political symbols from the courtroom.

Burton tried to argue that her first amendment rights overrule the Supreme case law but ultimately failed and was charged with contempt of court.

“It’s an act of civil disobedience, I understand that. I’m not anti-police, I work with law enforcement and I hold them in the highest regard, and just to say for the record I do believe all lives matter. But at this point they don’t all matter equally, and that’s the problem in the justice system,” NYDailyNews

Looks like the judge was making a meal out of one bean, still if there is a law it is on the judges side, the worst he should have done is to have the lawyer removed from the court, no doubt the saga will continue much the same as the wearing of a cross by a Christian is considered a political act by some and not by others.........

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: alldaylong

It is a political movement, which also protests. Everything about them is political as far as the political changes they are trying to make.

Are they registered as a Political Party or Movement ?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

I think it was more about her arguing in a court room more than the pin itself.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Something tells me the lady wasn't jailed for wearing a pin, but it's sure easy as hell to say that is the reason.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

No, he was specifically allowed by a ruling of the Supreme Court. That's not "nothing."

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Politics have no place in a courtroom nor the justice system. When they're allowed we get situations like Hillary's.

She should have listened and taken up her fight afterwards, outside of the courtroom if she so wished.

link   
a reply to: intrptr

Your job is also obligated to law, that doesn't mean you can show up dressed how you want, usually there's a dress code that you have to follow. Don't follow dress code you get fired, free speech be damned. Not being any certain way here, just explaining my reasoning.

As for her being arrested being illegal, I don't know enough about the laws to make a comment.

link   

It would sound like The Judge started the argument.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So does the Supreme court ruling state what is considered a political statement?

I am on the fence here, if there is a rule then she should have followed it, at the same time I stand by her for protesting it. RTA: I am not saying the arrest is wrong or illegal, just that if you are going to protest sometimes you end up in handcuffs and you should be ready for that if you are really standing by your statement.

There are lots of what if's I would like to get into, but that doesn't really promote any real discussion.

edit on rdSat, 23 Jul 2016 15:18:02 -0500America/Chicago720160280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: schuyler

Are you saying there has been a supreme court ruling stating that political buttons are allowed in court and the judge in this case ignored the law?

link   

He engaged her in argument. At that point he's won, he's "the Law". He should have thrown it out instead of 'finding' her guilty of contempt. But the law doesn't like free speechers.

Why was she even there? Because she was exercising her right to free speech? I bet the actual charge was disturbing the peace or some such. Like when people demonstrate or protest 'without a permit' or 'on the sidewalk' or 'too early'...

They'll make something up alright.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

No, he was specifically allowed by a ruling of the Supreme Court. That's not "nothing."

Edit:

... asked Burton several times to remove a Black Live Matter pin during a court session, citing a Supreme court ruling allowing judges to prohibit political symbols from the courtroom.

Really? Political 'symbols' in a court room? Lets overlook the seal on the wall, the flags, the high benches, flowing dark robes. How politically symbolic is all that?

Enjoy your Orwellian Dystopia.
edit on 23-7-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join