It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio judge sends lawyer to jail for wearing ‘Black Lives Matter’ pin in court

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

she wants to be a martyr for a terrorist propaganda outlet, then let her suffer the consequences.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
She's an attorney. She should already know how to conduct herself in a court room, and what authority the judge does and doesn't have. Which tells me she was likely hoping the judge would take her to task, so she could cry foul.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

Sentencing people to jail for being dissidents is illegal.

So he contrived something from nothing.

I think it was more about her arguing in a court room more than the pin itself.

He engaged her in argument. At that point he's won, he's "the Law". He should have thrown it out instead of 'finding' her guilty of contempt. But the law doesn't like free speechers.

Why was she even there? Because she was exercising her right to free speech? I bet the actual charge was disturbing the peace or some such. Like when people demonstrate or protest 'without a permit' or 'on the sidewalk' or 'too early'...

They'll make something up alright.

Telling the Judge to F off is free speech too. Is it allowed in a courtroom?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: schuyler

Are you saying there has been a supreme court ruling stating that political buttons are allowed in court and the judge in this case ignored the law?

No, quite the opposite. I'm saying a Supreme Court ruling ALLOWED the judge to require the political button to be removed. It's in the second sentence of the OP. You read that, right?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Act like a brat; get treated like a brat.

She's a lawyer, she should know the law.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

He engaged her in argument. At that point he's won, he's "the Law". He should have thrown it out instead of 'finding' her guilty of contempt. But the law doesn't like free speechers.

Why was she even there? Because she was exercising her right to free speech? I bet the actual charge was disturbing the peace or some such. Like when people demonstrate or protest 'without a permit' or 'on the sidewalk' or 'too early'...

Did she do that?
edit on 23-7-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylongNot that I am for or against BLM, but I thought the same thing too.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

WTF are you on about?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
She's an attorney. She should already know how to conduct herself in a court room, and what authority the judge does and doesn't have. Which tells me she was likely hoping the judge would take her to task, so she could cry foul.

Hah, I would have said, take off that robe and I'll take off the pin.

Again, contempt.

She can't win an argument wth the judge. She stood her ground in principal, if she didn't he would have found something else. He had to sentence her, or dismiss her.

The state hardly ever does that. After all she was 'arrested'. Theres fees for that, called fines.
edit on 23-7-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Think of it this way... If a lawyer walks into the courtroom and wears a shirt that says "all blacks must die" or "all whites must die"... Is this also a free speech right?

It's a court room. If you're on the jury and you wore such a thing, you would be let go. It shows bias and that doesn't sit well in a court.

If you walked in the court room with an AK47 on your shirt, do you honestly think the judge would let you stay? What about a shirt that says KKK? Same thing.

In a court room, you must refrain from ALL influence except the law. I don't care if you're black, white or purple... There are no quarrels or sides except the law and that which you are in court for. Period.

She had her chance many times. He didn't just say "BANG... Jail time!". He gave her chances and she didn't comply.

If you were a white cop and this was your defense attorney, would you serious think you had a hells chance on a snowy day? Hell naw! Especially if she was appointed to you... How OK would you be? I would be feel nervous even as a white guy, had she been my attorney.

This isn't about free speech anymore. It's about keeping your BS at home and sticking to the law and the proper attire, state of mind and being in a court room.

The judge was NOT being an ass about it..

He called Burton into his chambers to discuss the matter privately and then adjourned her case after she continued to refuse.

She knew what she was doing... She knew what was next. Some people stand up for their rights. Some people are just stupid and stand up for something they "think" is their right.

edit on 23-7-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

note to people in ohio :

Andrea Burton , attorney is an idiot - and hopefully the worst legal avdocate you can be curse to hire - avoid it like the plague

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

The judge was behaving the brat here.
Focusing on something (anything) beside the issue before the court.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

While I see where you're coming from, an American flag or seal is a bit different than a politically motivated pin, especially one with BLM on it. BLM is a divisive movement, courtrooms aren't about taking sides (or at least they shouldn't be) so I can understand the judges decision to not want it on display in his courtroom.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Somebody come in YOUR house and act a fool... You tell me what you gonna do.

He resides over that court. Court is a sacred place of law and justice. It's not a clown show. She was being a clown. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

So now you're trying to equate govt seals and judicial attire to political memes/insignia?

How, in your mind, are they the same?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Are BLM a political movement ?

I thought they where a protest group.

This makes the U.S. cries of " Land Of The Free " look like a load of eyewash.

Yeah they also invade public spaces and target white people for racial assaults.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I read it. It just didn't click for some reason. Happens sometimes.

If it is as you say and the supreme court has ruled on such a thing then she was definitely in the wrong.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Somebody come in YOUR house and act a fool... You tell me what you gonna do.

He resides over that court. Court is a sacred place of law and justice. It's not a clown show. She was being a clown. Simple as that.

A court of law is not the Judges "home".

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Did she do that?

Probably not. The point I was making is just because you have free speech, does not make the courtroom a place to use it in arguing with a judge.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So now you're trying to equate govt seals and judicial attire to political memes/insignia?

How, in your mind, are they the same?

Was that pin the case before the court on the docket that morning? The judge needed a distraction too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join