It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio judge sends lawyer to jail for wearing ‘Black Lives Matter’ pin in court

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: schuyler
Again, his job is to decide the issue before the court according to the charge.

And her job is to represent one of the factions in the argument being brought before the court.

Not paint her political opinion on her outfit, or even sport Bozo the Clown's bow-tie for that matter.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Joelombo

Ah yes, killed over the a statement!

I do wonder what would happen if someone had a Trump pin on in this court room, but guess we will never know till it happens.

Hell, if you had a Trump bumber sticker on pretty much anywhere where there is a racial divide, your car is going to get smashed and your tires deflated. That's the kind of country we live in. But if you had a Hillery sticker, the worst that would happen is some guy 2 cars behind you muttering under his breath of how messed up this country is.

Pretty sad

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Blah blah, it isn't about ideology, its about him finding her guilty of something.

She WAS guilty of something. Kinda like saying you're just guilty for arguing for the sake of arguing. I guess it doesn't matter in the end, right?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Sadly this will degrade into a racial issue and not be addressed as an issue of a spoiled rotten entitled regressive getting her feelings hurt...

Couldn't have said it better! Right on the money...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Chickensalad

It is the home and residence of Lady Justice, and she doesn't give a damn about your political leanings.

Justice is denied in a land where free speech is punishable by a jail sentence.

Bro the Supreme Court has long held time place and manner restrictions on free speech as constitutional. Do you even school bro?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I really don't understand how you could possibly consider free speech a limitless right.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You claim that the judge just wanted to find a bone to pick, so he used her BLM pin.

But that is what he did?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joelombo

It is the home and residence of Lady Justice, and she doesn't give a damn about your political leanings.

Bro the Supreme Court has long held time place and manner restrictions on free speech as constitutional. Do you even school bro?

School doesn't teach freedom of speech anymore. They teach ten thousand laws, and counting. What freedom of speech?

Besides limits are common sense, or used to be anyway.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No, he followed and utilised the rule of law.

She spat in its face then cried foul.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Blah blah, it isn't about ideology, its about him finding her guilty of something.

She WAS guilty of something. Kinda like saying you're just guilty for arguing for the sake of arguing. I guess it doesn't matter in the end, right?

What was she guilty of again?

For speaking her mind?

Or belonging to BLM?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joelombo

School doesn't teach freedom of speech anymore. They teach ten thousand laws, and counting. What freedom of speech?

Besides limits are common sense, or used to be anyway.

You just answered your own issue. Limits ARE common sense, and that's what happened here. A limit that was common sense was imposed.

Congratulations for finally getting there!

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

She spat in its face

No she didn't. Do we have to make stuff up like the judge?

intrptr out

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
So does the Supreme court ruling state what is considered a political statement?

I am on the fence here, if there is a rule then she should have followed it, at the same time I stand by her for protesting it. RTA: I am not saying the arrest is wrong or illegal, just that if you are going to protest sometimes you end up in handcuffs and you should be ready for that if you are really standing by your statement.

There are lots of what if's I would like to get into, but that doesn't really promote any real discussion.

The if's and but's are exactly the whole bone of contention. The Supreme court in its findings of symbolism, is a mismash of shiite. You will find rulings of allowance of a crib in a public place in one area, and disallowance of the same thing in another, yet Ohio's state motto is, " With God, all things are possible" clearly not as secular a theme as might be expected, and indeed could be construed as political by someone.

The judge should have either removed her from the court, or just let it go, however he made it an issue of it.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

What was she guilty of again?

For speaking her mind?

Or belonging to BLM?

She was guilty of continually refusing to remove a political pin in the judge's court, as per the SCOTUS. That's contempt of court. Not that hard to understand.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

Sentencing people to jail for being dissidents is illegal.

So he contrived something from nothing.

contempt:

disregard for something that should be considered.
"this action displays an arrogant contempt for the wishes of the majority"
synonyms: disrespect, disregard, slighting, neglect; contumacy
"he is guilty of contempt of court"
antonyms: respect

the offence of being disobedient to or disrespectful of a court of law and its officers.
plural noun: contempts; noun: contempt of court; plural noun: contempts of court
"when he was found to have lied to the House this was a contempt"

Plebs are required to be respectful. So should those upholding the law, or at the very least, those masquerading as those upholding the law.

silly? yes. How things are done, definitely.. She had no respect for the court. no boo hoos about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Im sure that precedent has already been set.

But a cross and the blm movement are so distant, it's showing your bias. really...

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
His court, his rules. She should have just taken it off, it would have saved her a lot of trouble.

Courts are obligated to the rule of law, not some judges influence. But I see no laws were broken and they had to find her guilty of something.

Sentencing people to jail for being dissidents is illegal.

So he contrived something from nothing.

I think it was more about her arguing in a court room more than the pin itself.

He engaged her in argument. At that point he's won, he's "the Law". He should have thrown it out instead of 'finding' her guilty of contempt. But the law doesn't like free speechers.

Why was she even there? Because she was exercising her right to free speech? I bet the actual charge was disturbing the peace or some such. Like when people demonstrate or protest 'without a permit' or 'on the sidewalk' or 'too early'...

They'll make something up alright.

Telling the Judge to F off is free speech too. Is it allowed in a courtroom?

Did she do that?

Did she?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

I'm not certain about the details of the case or her sentence, but no one should be jailed for wearing a pin.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot
I really don't understand how you could possibly consider free speech a limitless right.

You ARE indeed free to say what you want, where you want, and when you want.

There may be consequences though, and it's not an infringement of free speech, it's just plain common sense.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As a lawyer she should understand the importance of keeping politics out of the courtroom.

where did she get her law degree from,south chicago community college and hair weave emporium? she`s a disgrace to all lawyers she should be disbarred.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join