It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it racist now to be proud to be a white man?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
Am I allowed to be proud of my race and heritage, without being considered a racist pig if I'm white?

It seems all of a sudden I am supposed to apologize for being white, well eff you I'm not sorry. I dont feel the slightest bit guilty or ashamed for being white, I am just glad I am.

Even on ATS it seems you are not allowed to be proud to be white, when this thread gets trashed you will see what I mean.

Why can everyone else say they are proud of their race without being racist. A white man says it and bam hes the KKK.

I have never been racist and I treat everyone the same, and sure as hell don't have any white privilege (whatever the f that is).

So is it racist now to be proud to be white?

Looking at history why should you ,are you serious?
edit on 25-7-2016 by ImmortalLegend527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

I want you to know these types of discussions are my favorite regarding race because I feel here, in the minds and hearts of people, can racism really be confronted and quelled. Real, honest, and open dialogue because healing racism is not for the easily offended.

No its not racist Sir, it just unnecessary in my opinion, and will always paint you with a racists brush.

You are suppose to love who you are and your culture. And loving your own culture does not automatically mean you discredit or hate another's.

Like so many other commentators have pointed out, minorities in this country have been victims of systematic oppression as a result of their race. This is a country founded on racist ideals with free labor off the backs of an entire race of people. Racism and race is as natural to us as breathing.

I understand that if you have never had the experience of living a life where you/your ancestors have been denied basic human respect, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just because of the color of your skin, that you may not truly be able to empathize with that condition. It is human nature to rise up, to be self preserving, to look at the oppressor and confess that " I am a Man. I have a heart, a soul, a family, and a God. This thing you hate about me, I love!" " I am (Black, Latino, Asian, Native, Gay) and I am proud".

That declaration is not to belittle or deny the humanity of the oppressor/power structure. It is a declaration of "I am here too, see me, hear me, love me."

The problem white men run into is that you are sitting from a place of privilege, since the inception of this country, and no one has denied you any rights because of race/gender. It has always been a benefit to be white and have testicles. Even if he was a poor white man, he was granted more respect that a man of color with more education and money.

So being the power structure, from then until now, your "whiteness" has been a benefit to you, a badge of rightness, power, and superiority. Therefore, any proclamations, pride, and boastfulness of your "whiteness" and "white pride" is redundant, and you will always come off as a racist and a bigot. No matter how benign the intent.

Unfortunately, that is a consequence of being a member of the power structure.

A white man in America who feels compelled to proclaim " white pride" will be viewed as an obnoxious, insecure, bigot. I liken it to a playground bully who gets mad when the nerdy kid stands up and says " Im strong". The bully pushes the nerd down and says " No! I'm Strong" , and looks like an ass for doing so. We already know the bully is strong, we see the beatings he hands out daily, but now we know he doesn't feel so strong on the inside.

When you hear " black lives matter, gay lives matter, black pride, Latino pride, etc" in no way, not even in the inception of the term, did white lives never matter. I really need my white sisters & brothers to understand that. Please. Its not about taking anything away from you. The minority wants the power structure to place value and respect on their lives, those who feel invisible and powerless.

I hope that helps clear up why you may be received so negatively.

White guilt is a real thing and an internal thing, and IMO necessary. Guilt is an internal emotion, no person can produce guilt in another. It is an internal mechanism, a defense of our moral code, a method of processing the feelings that arise when we perform actions/thoughts that we consciously KNOW are WRONG! Conscious acknowledgement of the wrong doings of systematic racism and oppression which, God willing, will produce healing and understanding.

I hope that we all do our part in keeping our own prejudice, paranoia, and rage in check. The snake is trying to keep us divided. Only love and understanding will conquer hate.

edit on 25-7-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to:

edit on 25-7-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
Isn't it strange that when black people take white people's things and make them their own [putting their stamp on it], they are called creative and they are admired for including their culture etc.

But when white people do this to black people's things, we are called racist or [in music] we stole their ideas.

I'm talking generally, fashion, music, styles.

That has always wound me up.

If you really look at it from a distance, white people have bend over backwards not to be racist, because we have come to understand that it is wrong. There are laws and regulations etc [forget that some people will still be racist regardless, individuals still have a right to think what they want - on both sides]. The Brits stopped slavery, you are shunned or arrested if you even say the wrong thing. Yet black people still have a go at us. What more apart from killing ourselves can we do to please?

I feel almost hopeless that none of our effort is being appreciated. It's like when someone says sorry and MEANS IT and the other person just won't accept it and keeps going on.
The outcome will usually be a "Well suit yourself then."

a reply to:

Now my first mind is screaming " you can start by being less of a whiny little B&^%$"

But that's low hanging fruit.

For your own evolution, may I suggest you begin reading ACTUAL HISTORY books which do a good job of outlying the minoirty experience in America. Better yet, read a history book and make a note for ever time non-whites have been brutalized, exploited, and disenfranchised on this continent since the 1500's.

Also, white american culture has appropriated more minorities than blacks.. we cant take all the credit. Have a conversation with a native American, your head my explode.

Be prepared your " white guilt" may be unbearable...

But just know, how you respond to it is what matters.

FACT: Defenses against feeling guilt can become an overriding aspect of one's personality. The methods that can be used to avoid guilt are multiple. They include:

1-Repression usually used by the superego and ego against instinctive impulses, but on occasion employed against the superego/conscience itself.If the defense fails, then (in a return of the repressed) one may begin to feel guilty years later for actions lightly committed at the time.

2-Projection is another defensive tool with wide applications. It may take the form of blaming the victim: The victim of someone else's accident or bad luck may be offered criticism, the theory being that the victim may be at fault for having attracted the other person's hostility.[12] Alternatively, not the guilt, but the condemning agency itself, may be projected onto other people, in the hope that they will look upon one's deeds more favorably than one's own conscience (a process that verges on ideas of reference).

It is of my opinion you should hope to rise above projection, as this is obviously where you are now in your racial evolution.

Peace n light

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm not proud to be white per se, but I'm not guilt ridden either.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

check it out though you are a human not white !

that's just a label

your "race" didnt do anything better than anyone else because we are all humans first

how about you celebrate being a human and what humans have achieved , not what humans we call white have done!

Of course you wouldnt notice that you had a privelage in the first place considering the system was designed so that white males can dominate over others

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
Am I allowed to be proud of my race and heritage, without being considered a racist pig if I'm white?

It seems all of a sudden I am supposed to apologize for being white, well eff you I'm not sorry. I dont feel the slightest bit guilty or ashamed for being white, I am just glad I am.

Even on ATS it seems you are not allowed to be proud to be white, when this thread gets trashed you will see what I mean.

Why can everyone else say they are proud of their race without being racist. A white man says it and bam hes the KKK.

I have never been racist and I treat everyone the same, and sure as hell don't have any white privilege (whatever the f that is).

So is it racist now to be proud to be white?

When I read your post all I could think of is givea#.com
Limbo

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join