It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Facebook Phenomenon .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Alternate title. The Death of Individual Thought.

I put this here because it could go in about 8 different forums depending on the focus. This seemed like a catch all.

I have no scientific basis for this hypothesis, just observation over the last 10 years or so. Social media has given us an opportunity that hasn't existed before. Reaching out to damn near anyone. It was fun in the beginning. I "like" that cheezeburger cat. I like Dawn had a healthy baby. Disparate people hanging. Enjoying each others company.

Then it got politicized. Fun went to ridiculous memes. and you got to LIKE them. Didn't take long before people of different opinions were not longer discussing things. Battle lines drawn on personal beliefs. Now you post what you think others will like. You like things for support for your "side". No thought. No discussion.

That in and of itself is a bad thing for society. The extension of it is even worse. People that used to be friends in fun are now enemies. I've even seen it in RL. But it's OK, you've got your new friends that "like" you. Independent thought.... dead.

The Odd Couple is as rare as a white rhinoceros.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more. It's one of the main reasons I never joined any sites like facebook. Then I did join ATS.

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lonegurkha

Then ATS joined facebook. *sigh*

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ya I know what you mean. I feel so dirty.

edit on 7/9/2016 by lonegurkha because: to add

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Ah, the social media "Like" and "star" culture, where people adapt and post things not necessarily exclusively what they want, but how it will be received in order to reaffirm their own beliefs.

Now you post what you think others will like. You like things for support for your "side". No thought. No discussion.

Yup.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I had a Fakebook account for a couple of months, to keep up with my family in Texas. Nieces and nephews growing up faster than I could visit. After a while I noticed one major problem. I could post pictures of my ferrets and it would get 100 likes. Post something scientific or politically important............ 2 maybe 3.
People have dumbed themselves down to a point, they don't even want to hear anything that might make them think. I got so sick of inane, cute crap I just gave up.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Some would abhor government securing information without their permission... indeed many would openly fight tooth and nail against it. But, we are volunteering all kinds of information. Our lifestyles, locations, friends and contacts, family, political views, and in some cases what our poison is, alcohol, pot, drugs, etc. And when we finally realize this, it will have been too late and done by us voluntary.

One day our prodigy will do a Google search and find out what saints or reprobates we were, all by doing a simple social media search....

Something to ponder, ya think..............

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Therein lies one conspiracy. How about another to break down personal bonds into camps that can be much more easily manipulated?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Its like road rage on the internet. People feel so comfortable and powerful in their own private space, and anyone who disrupts that comfort is an assailant and must be told that they are wrong and a dreadful human.

In a mix of the power of anonymity and out of site out of mind, people are prone to be irresponsible with their communications. They are talking to themselves, with self confirming arguments looking for validation from others with similar points of view.

No one is listening or interested in exploring the context of ones actions or comments, they would rather react and get some stars and likes from their mates, with a sense of self justification, then ignoring any thing that resembles accountability.

I'm on Facebook for business purposes and on here, and I can tell you the stars and likes are very tempting to obsess over. Bad habit of insecure I guess but for me I'm not one to be out spoken in public so I'm not sure how to gauge how I come across sense I can't see nodding heads or smiles.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I understand that BUT I've seen it with people in RL. It's expanded beyond the Net.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The
"Like if you agree" culture is really messed up. It's like a drug fix for some people.

Every time I watch an Old School Music Video on Youtube there's a "Like if your watching this in 2016", "Like if your watching this in July".

"I'm only 12 years old and I love the 80's music, today's music sucks - Like if you agree".

Ohhh I got 135 Likes, that gives me a Woody.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Now2016

Woodies are cool

Hey. That's not a woody. This is a woody

edit on 7/9/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It scares me that you have to use your full name and verify your identity now. It used to be common sense that you don't use your real name online. It's getting eerie these days, with so many sites wanting practically all my personal info just to post a comment. When the screen says it's for my own security, I just close it out and shake my head that society is going along with this.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I completely agree.

In my opinion, facebook is an exercise in narcissism. It takes a huge assumption in one's self worth to assume that people care about your opinions or topics that you may share. They must also assume that people want to see your vacation selfies or updates on where you are eating lunch.

I'm not an old fart and I have people act shocked when they ask me to friend them on facebook and I have to tell them I do not use facebook. They tell me to "get with the times". I tell them I am a grown man. Perhaps they should grow up as well.

I've also never taken a selfie. I'm especially proud of that one.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Now2016

Woodies are cool

Hey. That's not a woody. This is a woody

That's an awesome Woody!

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: lonegurkha

Then ATS joined facebook. *sigh*

Information wants to be free, fb is free, therefore, ATS will use fb because it is a freeway for information sharing. Why not use the tools of social media? I think the single most highly advanced technological achievement recently has been the development of the world's biggest social platforms?

These social sites are test beds for AI in case it wasn't already obvious.

link   
I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective, think of it as sharing in part to the hive mind mentality. You have access to any knowledge you desire, within reason. With our busy work and immediate family lives, we are now missing out on the timevwith our extended family, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncle's, cousins, friends, as well as having a business presence there to as well. You might have a perspective on something that helps out your aunt. Or you might stumble across a really good cure for sinus problems.

edit on Sat20167V201641831 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat20167V201646831 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Facebook, and others, have also contributed to the loss of "secret places." It used to be that if you found a nice trail or waterfall you might tell a few friends about it and go there with them. Now, you post selfies, directions, and GPS coordinates to the world. Now, that waterfall has 50 people there when you next go.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That was a good one, I "Liked" your post.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more about the death of individual thought thing. I've watch horrified over the years as people very close to me have turned into this:

Virutally unrecognizable to me from the people they were before this took hold of them. They seriously and literally just don't think.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join