It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Facebook Phenomenon .

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

originally posted by: introvert

I'm not an old fart and I have people act shocked when they ask me to friend them on facebook and I have to tell them I do not use facebook. They tell me to "get with the times". I tell them I am a grown man. Perhaps they should grow up as well.

i too get looks of confusion when i say i don't have a social media account.

they ask, "why"
i respond, "i like my privacy and i don't trust social media."

I just answer, "why would I?"
I bet mine ends the conversation faster than yours.

edit on 7/12/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
facebook is not real life. people dont share who they really are people share a fake persona to impress other people.
i havent been on facebook for the past 10 years. i grew so tired of the phoniness of it all right before it blew up like it did...

and lately its evolved into nothing but ads and info popping up telling people how to think. trying to extract some dollars out of them at any chance.

its turned into a monster if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I've never had a facebook, twitter, or instagram. When people ask why, I tell them because it's against my religion.

The response is typically - stunned. And then it ends there.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom
Does that work on telemarketers too?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That depends on what they are trying to sell you.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Alternate title. The Death of Individual Thought.

I put this here because it could go in about 8 different forums depending on the focus. This seemed like a catch all.

I have no scientific basis for this hypothesis, just observation over the last 10 years or so. Social media has given us an opportunity that hasn't existed before. Reaching out to damn near anyone. It was fun in the beginning. I "like" that cheezeburger cat. I like Dawn had a healthy baby. Disparate people hanging. Enjoying each others company.

Then it got politicized. Fun went to ridiculous memes. and you got to LIKE them. Didn't take long before people of different opinions were not longer discussing things. Battle lines drawn on personal beliefs. Now you post what you think others will like. You like things for support for your "side". No thought. No discussion.

That in and of itself is a bad thing for society. The extension of it is even worse. People that used to be friends in fun are now enemies. I've even seen it in RL. But it's OK, you've got your new friends that "like" you. Independent thought.... dead.

The Odd Couple is as rare as a white rhinoceros.

Never really understood you anti-social media folks. I bet 99% of you still use social media. Abovetopsecret IS social media.

Secondly, social media is like TV, if there is a channel you don't like, don't watch it. No one is forcing you to do anything but yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme

ATS is a controlled platform that works as a forum. It is specific to Conspiracy, Paranormal, UFO, & Occult topics.

Facebook is like an Internet within the Internet. So instead of learning HTML and rushing to buy your .com address, you're joining a network who's brand is literally the social network because you've been led to believe that this network is the end all be all communication line.

So instead of creating your own network, with your own code, in your own world, you (the Facebook user) are forced to integrate your personal data and personal content with an online media conglomerate. You don't even own your own pictures of yourself on FB.

Facebook and social media in general is like the digital manifestation of globalism. Real 'internetters' just learn how to be hackers instead.

edit on 7/12/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

ATS is a controlled platform that works as a forum. It is specific to Conspiracy, Paranormal, UFO, & Occult topics.

Facebook is like an Internet within the Internet. So instead of learning HTML and rushing to buy your .com address, you're joining a network who's brand is literally the social network because you've been led to believe that this network is the end all be all communication line.

So instead of creating your own network, with your own code, in your own world, you (the Facebook user) are forced to integrate your personal data and personal content with an online media conglomerate. You don't even own your own pictures of yourself on FB.

Facebook and social media in general is like the digital manifestation of globalism. Real 'internetters' just learn how to be hackers instead.

With all due respect this forum was not created with the creators own code, it's actually using PUBLIC forum software. Secondly, ATS and Facebook are exactly the same in that they are privately sponsored and ran entities. Both platforms also delete posts that don't conform to the general "idea".

There is no difference. Both are social networks. Both are social media. Not sure how facebook is an internet within an internet, that's a huge stretch.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I was on myspace way way way back in the day (is that still a thing?) then joined facebook for a couple of months but soon got fed up with it so never went back
Ever notice people give you a funny look when you say you aint on facebook or twitter, I had a girl say to me once "seriously, what do you do with your spare time?" like the only hobby people are allowed is facebook lol

down with facebook, read a real book

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TigStar82
I was on myspace way way way back in the day (is that still a thing?) then joined facebook for a couple of months but soon got fed up with it so never went back
Ever notice people give you a funny look when you say you aint on facebook or twitter, I had a girl say to me once "seriously, what do you do with your spare time?" like the only hobby people are allowed is facebook lol

down with facebook, read a real book

Seems more like you are just reading too much into it. Most people didn't used to have cellphones, now people are surprised if you don't have one. Is there a cell phone conspiracy too?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Are you allowed to promote your business on ATS? Are you allowed to sell merchandise on ATS? Do you see people with one ATS account for their personal use and another for their work/profession? Does the MSM source ATS in the news? Do people come here to reconnect with long lost friends and relatives? Was Facebook around in 2005?

Facebook and others are vastly different than ATS.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Are you allowed to promote your business on ATS? Are you allowed to sell merchandise on ATS? Do you see people with one ATS account for their personal use and another for their work/profession? Does the MSM source ATS in the news? Do people come here to reconnect with long lost friends and relatives? Was Facebook around in 2005?

Facebook and others are vastly different than ATS.

I always find it strange how hard it is for people to admit they are wrong. Yes, MSM has sourced ATS in the news quite a few times actually, but I bet you will ignore this fact seeing as you create your own facts out of thin air (like when you said the creator of this website made his own code). By the way I'll have you know the owners of facebook wrote their own code too?

So people going to facebook to reconnect with long lost friends and relative is a bad thing, got it. And lastly, yes, facebook was around in 2005. What are you getting at? I expect no reply to any of these points, but I do expect an ad hominem from you here shortly. Cheers.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Show me where MSM has used ATS as a news source.

Show me where I said that the creators of ATS use their own code. The metaphor completely escaped you.

Show me where I said connecting with friends & relatives on Facebook was bad.

You've completely missed my point(s) whilst simultaneously projected a few of your own into my words.

Edit and let me rephrase, did YOU have a Facebook in 2005? Because I didn't, and not because it wasn't popular then. It's because I've never had one and I never will. I don't have to give my personal information to ATS to post here.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Show me where MSM has used ATS as a news source.

Sure, here is CNN doing it with the Loughner incident.
www.cnn.com...

I could post hundreds, but I'm not your slave, you have 2 hands and a head, research yourself.

Show me where I said that the creators of ATS use their own code. The metaphor completely escaped you.

Ok, if you weren't implying ATS uses it's own code, why did you say

So instead of creating your own network, with your own code, in your own world, you (the Facebook user) are forced to integrate your personal data and personal content with an online media conglomerate.

----

Show me where I said connecting with friends & relatives on Facebook was bad.

Show me where I said you did?

Now perhaps you can explain why you asked if facebook was around in 2005. It was established in 2004, clearly a fact you were unaware of. What was your point behind that question? I'll wait.

And lastly,

Edit and let me rephrase, did YOU have a Facebook in 2005? Because I didn't, and not because it wasn't popular then. It's because I've never had one and I never will. I don't have to give my personal information to ATS to post here.

You don't really have to use your real information to post on facebook either. In either case, whether on ATS or facebook, you are giving away your personal information when you post reguardless, through IP address, session cookies and HWID's. As for whether or not I had facebook in 2005, well, I don't give personal information on ATS.

edit on 12-7-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I do agree that it has made some of the weaker people fake, dependent on "likes" and attention, selfie-freaks...however, you can use social media for the best and benefit from it.

I like to follow cute puppies and animal pages, certain political pages (both sides) and some spiritual pages. Every time I flip thru my feed im smiling (but not at the racist political feeds).

So I have a "friend" that always posts annoying pictures of her dog...I just drop her posts from my feed. And I had a "friend" who was an Obama hater and had nothing cool to say...I deleted him as a friend.

If you know how to use it then it can definitely be a good thing, but I agree that it probably more bad than good

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
I do agree that it has made some of the weaker people fake, dependent on "likes" and attention, selfie-freaks...however, you can use social media for the best and benefit from it.

I like to follow cute puppies and animal pages, certain political pages (both sides) and some spiritual pages. Every time I flip thru my feed im smiling (but not at the racist political feeds).

So I have a "friend" that always posts annoying pictures of her dog...I just drop her posts from my feed. And I had a "friend" who was an Obama hater and had nothing cool to say...I deleted him as a friend.

If you know how to use it then it can definitely be a good thing, but I agree that it probably more bad than good

It is more bad than good considering you choose your friendships based on their opinion of their pets and presidents. Facebook has had so much power in your life it has burned your bridges with friends because of postings on it. How sad.
edit on 12-7-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Your CNN link only refers to ATS as part of the story, not an actual source for the origination of the story. You know why? Because ATS isn't a news site. Is Facebook in the news business now? I can't remember because I don't have one...

The point I was making with the coding comment was.... And let me set this up:

It's 20 years ago... 1996... You have an idea that you want to get to the masses but alas, you have no publisher, no one to physically print your idea onto parchment, so what do you do? You go to the Internet! But just typing the first thoughts that come to mind on a message board isn't enough. You want to be invested in your idea and you want it to survive and you want it to succeed. What do you do? you learn to write HTML. Ah, now instead of having to rely on someone else's idea, and someone else's set of rules, on someone else's designated webspace, you can create and control your own world.

Ah the ultimate act of personal freedom! Liberation from the limitations of mainstream society! Creating your own reality that you control and manage yourself!

/end flashback

Ok now how would the average person go about doing that today? The average internet user today is a highly devolved from the average Internet user of 20 years ago. So instead of writing up your own code to create your own website for your own idea, you'll probably just resort to creating a Facebook page because, well, everybody else has one.

The comparison was that at one point people who learned how to operate a computer were encouraged to learn how to code software because back THEN it was tits to have your own website that included your own trendy .com address. But now because you can fit the Internet in your pocket and one centralized app is the largest network within the Internet any 4 year old can write political editorials for their book club and get flamed by large part of the population for choosing to wear white after Labor Day.

ATS was around in 2005, although I assume it wasn't as popular. Facebook hadn't left the campus of Harvard yet.

Lastly:

So people going to facebook to reconnect with long lost friends and relative is a bad thing, got it.

Those words came from you, not me.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

You do not know me.

Many of my real friends are not even on facebook.

When I say "friends", I mean highschool people who I really never was good friends with, friends of friends that im no longer real friends with, people who I added and I have no idea why, etc.

And YES...when people annoy me on facebook, then I delete them, whether it be too many pics of their dogs or extreme political beliefs. If you are annoying, you do NOT get to be my friend on facebook.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Your CNN link only refers to ATS as part of the story, not an actual source for the origination of the story. You know why? Because ATS isn't a news site. Is Facebook in the news business now? I can't remember because I don't have one...

The point I was making with the coding comment was.... And let me set this up:

It's 20 years ago... 1996... You have an idea that you want to get to the masses but alas, you have no publisher, no one to physically print your idea onto parchment, so what do you do? You go to the Internet! But just typing the first thoughts that come to mind on a message board isn't enough. You want to be invested in your idea and you want it to survive and you want it to succeed. What do you do? you learn to write HTML. Ah, now instead of having to rely on someone else's idea, and someone else's set of rules, on someone else's designated webspace, you can create and control your own world.

Ah the ultimate act of personal freedom! Liberation from the limitations of mainstream society! Creating your own reality that you control and manage yourself!

/end flashback

Ok now how would the average person go about doing that today? The average internet user today is a highly devolved from the average Internet user of 20 years ago. So instead of writing up your own code to create your own website for your own idea, you'll probably just resort to creating a Facebook page because, well, everybody else has one.

The comparison was that at one point people who learned how to operate a computer were encouraged to learn how to code software because back THEN it was tits to have your own website that included your own trendy .com address. But now because you can fit the Internet in your pocket and one centralized app is the largest network within the Internet any 4 year old can write political editorials for their book club and get flamed by large part of the population for choosing to wear white after Labor Day.

ATS was around in 2005, although I assume it wasn't as popular. Facebook hadn't left the campus of Harvard yet.

Lastly:

So people going to facebook to reconnect with long lost friends and relative is a bad thing, got it.

Those words came from you, not me.

Too long didn't read.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

You do not know me.

Many of my real friends are not even on facebook.

When I say "friends", I mean highschool people who I really never was good friends with, friends of friends that im no longer real friends with, people who I added and I have no idea why, etc.

And YES...when people annoy me on facebook, then I delete them, whether it be too many pics of their dogs or extreme political beliefs. If you are annoying, you do NOT get to be my friend on facebook.

So you sent friend requests to strangers and you don't know why, and then you closed the friendship because the stranger wasn't what you expected. Got it.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join