It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another police involved shooting - Baton Rouge Police Shoot Alton Sterling

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: charolais

They were responding to a report of a man threatening people with a gun. He was resisting to the point that they had already used tasers. And knocked him down. He was still resisting. Are they supposed to wait until they are shot before they pull their guns?

I just don't see the point in the officers continuing their attempt to apprehend if their guns are pulled out. In that position on the ground you could be making yourself more vulnerable because 1) you are holding a gun within reaching distance from the suspect and 2) you are making one of your hands unusable and thus tying your own hand behind your back. Make sense?

edit on 7-7-2016 by charolais because: typos / grammar

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I've a few family members like the person you describe. You know em when you see em. Out of the cops I've dealt with, good or ill, I've only had a problem with 2. Their ego's were bigger than they were and their IQ's sure didn't match. No proof but I'd doubt their strength of hand and will to command anything. Those guys didn't belong having a badge. Now do those types make up a large part of the police force? I really hope not but honestly I don't know. I only know my experiences.

I don't think that he was going to shoot anyone that day. I do believe he knew he was breaking laws and was also ok with it.

I'll keep trying. It would open my horizons abit.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Now do those types make up a large part of the police force?

Go read up on "Henry Glover". Also, "Rampart Division, LAPD".

Not just the jackass/criminal acts themselves, but the number of cops committing crimes to cover for them.

Oh, and leave us not forget the behavior of NOPD during Katrina. You ought to be able to find plenty there now. I especially liked the deserters, and the ones who decided it was open season on stealing Cadillacs. After all, they're COPS, they deserve a nice car to flee in.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Only a pg or so back I had this to say:

I keep telling Black folks, especially males both in person and online , that open carry sht is not meant for YOU! other people open carry because of you,!! in their minds eye you are the super negro or predator thus hardly human

And now this.

The shooting of a second black man in just two days by police has sparked outrage across the US. Philando Castile was shot dead in his car in front of his girlfriend and child in Falcon Heights, a suburb of St Paul, Minnesota. His girlfriend, Lavish Reynolds, recorded the man slowly bleeding to death as the officer continued to point his firearm into the car on Facebook Live. She said they had been pulled over for a broken tail light and the 32-year-old was shot as he reached for his wallet. Mr Castile later died in hospital.

Ms Reynolds described the scene repeatedly throughout the video: “He told him that it was in his wallet, but he had a pistol on him because he’s licensed to carry. The officer said don’t move. “As he was putting his hands back up, the officer shot him in the arm four or five times”
www.independent.co.uk... -live-black-a7124401.html

Black men/Brown men I am addressing you for a second, ma White brothers pls understand why I have to do this.
Unarmed you might have a slight chance of surviving a chance encounter with a cop over a broken tail light, armed even if you announced it and that you are licensed you are dead!!, you ma brother are not the first guys in the vid you are the 2nd..don't take that risk, and count that guy as extremely lucky to only eating asphalt.

edit on 7-7-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A man died. Not a black man. A man. A person who was doing something wrong. A person who pulled a gun. The only people who make this a racial issue are racists.

The reason this man, and so many other, are killed? There is no one at home. 50% of all children come from fatherless households. I am not going to use race. They are all kids who need help.

You are all buying into the MSM. It will get worse. What happens when they do go to an 'affluent' neighborhood and start trouble and someone is shot. Then it is not the police against us it becomes a larger race issue that we know our current DOJ and admin will let start the fire to end all riots.

This is all about distracting you, the citizen, from issues that are really going on in this country.

edit on 07am31amf0000002016-07-07T11:29:18-05:001118 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Different day, same sh1t.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: MrWendal

Role of a thug, Thug's death ..SMH .
the man trying to feed a family selling C.Ds = "thug" just like another man in another state that got chocked out to death selling loosies.
Another reason for not believing in no sky god fantasies, for in the real world state murderers walks and go home to have a sandwich, most likely will die quietly in bed at some ripe old age.. God and justice don't exist unless you take it.
nuff said before I get sanctioned.

Yes he was selling bootleg CD's and DVD's. Which by the way is also illegal.

But I call him a Thug, not because of that, but because he was. Have you seen his record? Multiple assaults. Firearm charges. Indecent Liberty with a Child. That's right, a convicted sex offender.

I call him a Thug because he acted like one when approached by Police. Again, when you are told to put your hands up or get on the ground, what do you? I'll give you a hint, you do not argue, you do not ask questions, you put your damn hands up and you get on the ground. You know who doesn't follow those directions?? A Thug.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Tell me again how race is not an issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
For all that people jump on the anti gun bandwagon when ever there is a mass shooting, I reckon this kind of thing is a better reason for those who want guns banned. (Not that I have a dog in this fight myself, your country, your right to run it as you see fit).

What must it be like being a cop over there? Every minor traffic stop could be the one where you lose your life.
I saw a table ages ago somewhere comparing US military deaths in Afghanistan and US police deaths in Mainland USA. There were only two years when the cops didn't lose more people.

Maybe if every man and his dog didn't have a gun then the cops would be able to leave theirs at home too, then this kind of thing wouldn't happen?

As far as I can tell from the stuff online relating to this case, the dead guy was a convicted sex offender and violent felon who possibly threatened someone with the gun he had (Isn't it illegal for a felon to have a gun? I thought so, but am no expert). I don't know what else these cops could have done, to be honest. It seems the guy went for his gun while being wrestled on the ground...How long are the cops supposed to wait? Until he has it out? Until the safety is off? Until it's pointing at one of their heads? Until someone else has been shot with it?

Obviously tragic for his family. Can't say I have the same level of sympathy for him as the guy in the car who was killed though.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

Exactly the killings are vary disturbing in itself, the reaction are equally so.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

It's about race. Just not your definition of it. Not racism as in the cops are racists. Most aren't, at least not by the definition you seem to be stuck on. Racism as in the rules just aren't the same. The danger is not the same. The life is not the same. You either get that. Or you don't.
edit on 7/7/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Not racism as in the cops are racists. Most aren't, at least not by the definition you seem to be stuck on. Racism as in the rules just aren't the same.

I was not stating that the cops were racist. You did that yourself and proved my point. It is only when you put 'race' into it becomes racism. This was a regular call that become a resisting, reached for a gun...done.

Racism means you think you are better than the skin color of another race. So, a black man shot by a cop, black or white, is not racist. Your thought process makes it that way to you.

In this case, let me explain it like this. The MSM wants you to here BLACK mle murdered by police while trying to make a living....what they do not tell you is.

He is a gang member. He is a registered sex offender. He impregnated a girl who was 14. He is 25k behind in child support. He was a felon with a weapon who was brandishing it. He was busted in June for possession of ectasy. Long rap sheet.

I wish death upon no person. But if you walk this path you may die by that path. He was a Blood. If you think he was not well known to those cops, who knew based on his priors such as resisting what they were up against, they were lucky. This could be a story about two dead cops but that would not matter as much right?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If you can't see how YOU are choosing to inject all of that into a situation where it simply wasn't a contributing factor to his death, well, we can't help you. You're fairly entrenched. Good luck with that. And I say that a person who thinks the cops were justified in the Sterling case, barring any other evidence.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Because that is the truth. This guy never had a chance. Raised by grandma, groomed into gangs and died in the streets after pulling a gun on someone. This plays out everyday with kids of all races but with black kids it tops 60% without a dad or a make role model. They are needed.

I am seeing the problem for what it is. HOME. It starts at home. If you cannot see that I am very,very sorry for you. Don't tell me I am entrenched either. I volunteer and a lot of the kids are minority and come with nothing. I try to be a positive influence so if I can help one kid then maybe he can make a difference one day.

So, just because I am white I could never understand the plight of a black man? Like I said earlier. We are all people. Black people killed by cops just gets good headlines.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Concerning Philando Castile,I want you guys to see the vid and the aftermath , if you want skip Cenk's opinion on the matter although I recommend watching it in it's entirety , pay attention to time 10:00 ..see that lil 4yr girl trying to comfort her mom..yes NRA and folks for guns everywhere , where the hell are you..

How about handling situations for Blk/Brn ppl in the exact same manner, All Lives Matter, yeah but some lives Matters less.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

a reply to: FamCore

I kind of agree. He was down, but not on his stomach, so is that really subdued? Who actually yelled he's got a gun?

He had a gun, in his pants pocket.

You can reach that from the prone as long as your Lower Arm on the Gun Side isn't restricted.

His Drug Charge is bunk, it was just weed. But he also got picked up for Theft, Assault and Illegal Fire Arm.

He is a Felon, yet thought it a good idea to (some reports say less than 6 days prior) get another Gun which he isn't allowed to have.

They knew who they were called on, they already had his Record. They were already informed he had a Gun.

Yet Sterling decides to Resist. That's DUMB. Especially when you continue to resist despite getting a Taser.

This is just the information I know and verified.

There are other reports that I have been unable to verify that he was also a Registered Sex Offender.

We'll skip that for now, because no one has shown me this to be true... it's something I've seen tossed around and asked for verification on.

So when a not tiny dude resists arrest while being a Felon and having an Illegal Gun on his person... what chances exactly should Cops take? How much benefit of the doubt should they give?
edit on 8-7-2016 by KillerKell because: Keep saying 'jacket' instead of 'pants' for some reason. Probably shouldn't post at 3 AM.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Its not a matter of "hey its a black guy, lets shoot him for fun!"

Would you approach a poodle with the same fear as a pitbull? Would that be racist against all pitbulls? Not all pitbulls are dangerous.

Blacks created this themselves. Not all blacks are dangerous but they live and literally die by crime and the lifestyle they live.

Then blame everyone else, or the fact that 300 years ago a distant relative was a slave... Yeah well so was 50% of the rest of the world. White, black or otherwise.

Time for them to pull themselves out of their own self created reality and take responsibility for how society sees them.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Being that this was 2 White cops and a Black man was shot, doesn't help matters.

For sure, that is the main factor here, given the climate of the City.

This is an Issue. How many Black Cops are on that Police Force? How many Blacks are in that Jurisdiction?

If it's anything like Furgeson, where 80% of the Cops are White and 80% of the Population is Black... odds are Math says a Cop on Civilian Shooting IS going to be White on Black most of the time.

Think we might just need more Black Cops? Especially in Neighborhoods that are Majority Black?

Because right now a White Cop shooting a Black Citizen isn't even a Race Problem... it's a freaking Math Problem.

And I know these places are Hiring... I also know they aren't turning many away and even lowering standards to get new blood in.

So where we really start fixing these problems is getting more Blacks on these Police Force... I'm sure plenty could use a Pay Check anyways. Kills 2 Birds with one Stone, helps with Black Unemployment and evens the odds so that it's not just a function of Math that White Cop shoots Black Citizen.

Now if you had 20% White Cops and 20% Black Citizens... and some how White Cops were STILL finding ways to shoot Black Citizens... THEN we'd have some real Race Issue going on. Even 20% White Cops to 80% Black Citizens, because it would still be Black Cops on most Responses.

But when you have 80% White Cops and 80% Black Citizens... that's just Math waiting to go wrong. Of COURSE it will be a White Cop shooting a Black Citizen... there's no Black Cop to answer the call. (And that's assuming 100% Justifiable Shootings with no wrong doing.)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
I am AMAZED that the FBI and other investigators have shown up here, on ATS!

You'd think they'd be busy, but nahhh.

They have determined that he was a "felon with a gun" and "resisting" for the video...So I guess they are done with their business.

Amazing, I tell ya!

/sarcasm

Don't be stupid.

He IS a Felon, matter of Public Record. Easy enough to figure out for yourself. Drug Charge (but that's Weed, so I dismiss it in the Court of My Mind), Theft, Assault and Gun Charge.

By any definition... he's a Felon. A Convicted Felon.

You don't have to be FBI to find that information.

What do you call it when some one is hit by a Taser and doesn't stop? I mean, what exactly do you think one has to do to Resist Arrest? Simply not complying with Officer Demands is Resisting Arrest... they had to Taser the guy and take him to the ground. But sure, some how you think that's not Resisting.

Seriously, don't be a dumb ass. This is a serious issue. A life was lost. Stupidity isn't what is needed in these situations and for you to act like a dumb ass about it is insulting to all involved.

You don't have to be in the FBI to figure any of this out.

Now what those doing the Investigation will be looking for is if he was able to reach his Weapon from the Prone. Because if he could make a move for that Weapon, then Deadly Force is Authorized. From my personal experience in Detaining Prisoners, though mine were Iraqi and triggers/bombs were more what we worried about... you can absolutely reach a Pistol at your Side as long as your LOWER ARM on the GUN SIDE is free. They can have your Shoulder pinned, but as long as you can rotate the Elbow, you can Reach the Pistol.

And if you can reach the Pistol, and Officer can die.

So the only real question is, do the Officers feel he was making a move for the Gun they knew he had (hence being called for a guy waving a gun around, with a PREVIOUS Gun Charge).

That's it. That's the only question left for the Investigators to assign Blame. Obviously they have to go through all the other steps to get there... but that's the only question left.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

They knew.

Alton was well known in the Community... the call wasn't "Some guy has a Gun", it was "Alton, the CD guy, has a gun".

They were fully aware of who they were dealing with when they arrived.

So they knew he had a gun, and they knew he was a Convicted Felon that wasn't allowed to have one.

Then they found out he didn't want to be arrested, and that even a Taser wasn't changing his mind.

We can pick it up from there.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join