It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another police involved shooting - Baton Rouge Police Shoot Alton Sterling

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Facebook, twitter, local message boards and the rumor mill are in full riot mode already. There's a total freak out locally because some activists tweeted that people shouldn't riot in economically depressed areas but take it to affluent places in order to make white people uncomfortable.

twitter.com...^tfw

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Pull the rap sheet on every white mass murderer, serial killer, rapist, pedophile and all the other weird killings white males commit. Guess what? The white man is still apprehended vs blacks shot and killed.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

Yay! ! ! FB memes!! The new ATS standard for evidence...fshhhhh. As I recall Dylan Roof didn't resist arrest....?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Whatever.

Here's what the lady who raised him has to say about it:

“I just want to clarify, I wasn’t Alton’s biological mother. My sister passed in 1986, but I stepped in from 1986 until today. I’ll always be his mother, but when I went and talked to the governor today, we’ve got to have peace out here. We can’t be in the streets. We can’t do it. I was OK until I saw that second video. That second video… that second video! Let me tell you! Let me tell you! I’m mad! I’m so mad! And I’m angry! But I’m not angry enough to hurt nobody! I’m not angry enough to go in the street! I’m not angry enough to curse the police out! But I’m angry! And I’m mad, because they took something from me that I’ll never ever have back! So y’all pray for me, but we gotta have peace and unity out here! And I love y’all for coming out. Thank y’all!”

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

If Roof was the only exception, you may have an argument but the fact is they go out of their way to give white criminals the chance to live while blacks most of the time don't get that option.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Have some statistics on that?? More importantly how about some resists/death ratios along with their races. Cmon man you can do it, back that story up!

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
There's a total freak out locally because some activists tweeted that people shouldn't riot in economically depressed areas but take it to affluent places in order to make white people uncomfortable.

Well, TBH, I've always wondered why they don't take the riots to where the Mayor, city officials and the police chief live. And the city and district attorneys. There's no point tearing up your OWN stuff, and really, no point doing it to people who can't change things/didn't do it. That leaves the police precincts and the living areas of those in charge, and THAT would get the most reaction for the smallest effort.

What they need is a 'the people in charge that let this happened or did this live here' map. Small protests at every cop's house above sergeant, every city official and really big ones around the Mayor's would get the point across.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I dont know whether I would go as far as you however when there is a colored victim its amazing just how fast his prior police history gets thrown up to discredit him as just another crazy or uppity individual which many here go along with.A law enforcement officer has no right to take a life unless his own is threated and in this case thats doubtful

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Resisting Arrest in Black and White

“I think it’s reflective of the fact that the police are physically abusive towards people of color and treat them with less respect than whites who are arrested,” James said.

10 Armed White Men Who Did Not Die By the Police

The headlines have almost become a weekly occurrence: Black person shot and killed by the police. Usually it is Black men. But sometimes it is women. In the majority of times, they are unarmed. And most of the time, their deaths were for no damn justifiable reason at all

African Americans Cited for Resisting Arrest at High Rate in S.F.

Deadly Force, in Black and White

Probably more out there..

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

I think the main problem here lies in the police department handling after the fact and the BS about the body cams. Police have confiscated the surveillance video from the store.

Unfortunately, they're all blank. As were all the phones that were 'borrowed'. Alas.

At least that's how Bakersfield PD does it. THEY get away with it every time. Louisiana is about as corrupt, they should give this a try.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

If I'm not mistaking wasn't the old way to surround city or the courts all with protests?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I'll read yours, you read mine.

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.washingtontimes.com...

ETA: So your sources clearly show that black men are more likely to elude and/or resist arrest. Maybe they should stop that?

edit on 7-7-2016 by JinMI because: Stuff and Thangs

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
originally posted by: JinMI

From one of you websites.

Race remains the most volatile flash point in any accounting of police shootings. Although black men make up only 6 percent of the U.S. population, they account for 40 percent of the unarmed men shot to death by police this year, The Post’s database shows. In the majority of cases in which police shot and killed a person who had attacked someone with a weapon or brandished a gun, the person who was shot was white. But a hugely disproportionate number — 3 in 5 — of those killed after exhibiting less threatening behavior were black or Hispanic.

and the other.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

edit on 7-7-2016 by shredderofsouls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Bedlam

If I'm not mistaking wasn't the old way to surround city or the courts all with protests?

And that's a more sensible way. If you're after getting your point across.

I'm not sure what breaking into the local furniture store and stealing TVs says about you, other than 'I'm using this an excuse to loot'. If you're after justice, intimidate the ones that deal it out. If you're a thief, break into the #-n-git down the street where you buy your gasoline.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Thank you for furthering my point. You should not resist arrest.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Has anyone posted the second video yet?

Her e if not

I don't think it's very clear what happened from the videos I've seen.

A couple of things, has anyone actually CONFIRMED that there was a gun recovered? I'm not trusting the witnesses that were most likely his pals, just as I'm not going to trust the cops. What led up to the taser being used and then the tackle?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Unarmed or Armed Black males, makes very little difference to a lot of cops and folks who applauded their actions right or wrong, now I can't tell you if this have any "racial" angle by the cops, for that I'd need their prior histories and even then, in that particular instance would be difficult to tell, however what I do know is the predictable he had it coming somehow.
Here in this thread and others we have ppl who go straight to Chicago a city with neighborhoods torn by active gang wars, not seen since the 80ts using that as an excuse to say look away nothing to see here, as if Black folks and black media is ignoring the situation.
Another tactic is to criminalize the dead, bring up a shoddy past from the 90ts, time served no problem, that he may have changed his life around don't matter one goodgwaaddamn he had it coming, mocking the dead by referring to them as dindus.
The biggest hypocrites are the avid gunz every where crew who will switch or stay silent that a Blk male was gunned down in a supposedly open carry state, for apparently having a gun on him, no chest thumping as to his rights in this case.

I keep telling Black folks, especially males both in person and online , that open carry sht is not meant for YOU! other people open carry because of you,!! in their minds eye you are the super negro or predator thus hardly human , your physical stature increase with each tale like Goliath, a 12yrs kid playing in a park with a toy is a menacing 30yrs old, your face book pg will be rummaged through looking for you mean mugging so you they can turn you into a thug and thus dispensed with, even if all you were doing was carrying a pack of skittles to your dads house.. your murderer will be lauded a hero, this child's murder weapon netted him a small fortune , and some was aok with that..citing good ol fashioned capitalism.

For those criticizing Jesse Williams BET awards speech..they can goto Hell! he was on point.

edit on 7-7-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

While I don't advise it, resistance or running is not worthy of a death sentence.

If you can watch the second video of that man's murder and find the actions taken acceptable, you may just be a sociopath

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I live here in Louisiana and this is big news here. The comments I have seen on this thread echo many I have heard and seen locally..... and I have to say, I am not sure I would call this murder. Now let me explain....

First of all, if you are carrying a firearm and the cops show up on a call of a man with a gun and they tell you to put your hands up, you put your damn hands up. You dont add commentary. You do not ask questions. You do it... or you run the risk of being shot.

When they tell you to get on the ground, you get your ass on the ground. You do not ask questions, you do not play tough guy. There will be time for that later, in the moment you do as you are told or you run the risk of being shot.

That's the way it is. That's the way it was when I was arrested in the 90's when the cops approached me on a call of a man with a gun. That's the way it is today. When the cops show up on that type of call, they do not play games. they do not take chances. You will be considered a threat until they have you secured and know whats going on.

Now I ask people to watch the second video that has come out very very carefully. As you watch it, I ask that you watch the right arm of the suspect.

You will see two cops on top of the suspect. One cop pointing a gun at his chest. The other cop is fighting to get control of the suspects right arm. You can see the arm is moving, he is fighting the cop. Then the cop says, "Gun" and shots ring out.

Now keep watching....

You will see a cop laying on the ground pointing his weapon at the suspect still as he is dying. Now I want you to look at the cops butt just after he calls in "shots fired". Do you see a black box on the ground? Watch as the cop gets up, do you see that black box dangling down with a light on it? Keep watching, as the cop gets up, he reaches down between his legs and gets that black box..... do you know what that box is?? It's his body camera.... and it did indeed fall off during the scuffle. It is right there in the video, plain to see. It is not an excuse, it is not a cover up. The body camera actually fell off and you can see it in the video.

Now keep watching.... do you see the one cop reach into the pocket of the suspect and take something out? That is supposedly a weapon. A firearm, being carried by a convicted felon and convicted sex offender.

Sorry but I find it hard to feel bad for this guy. If you watched the first video, you may have noticed that very briefly you can hear a zapping sound. Do you know what that is? That is the sound of a tazer. The cops attempted to taze this guy to get him to comply with orders being given to him. Either the tazer malfunctioned or had no effect, but the fact is these cops did attempt to bring this situation to a halt by less than lethal force. After the tazer has no effect, then one Officer tackles him.

So I have to ask, what more do you want a cop to do? They ordered him to put his hands up and get on the ground. He did not comply. They tried to taze him, he still did not comply. They force him to the ground, still he does not comply. Then they find a gun and shoot him dead. How many chances is one person supposed to get?

Fact is, Mr. Sterling played the role of a thug and he died a thug's death. When you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes. The only person to blame for this death- is Mr. Sterling. He could have avoided all of this by simply doing as he was told.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

Breaking laws has consequences. While I would agree that resisting arrest or running does not warrant death your playing with fire when you continue to escalate a situation. Police are not automatons. They are human and prone to emotion just like anyone else. This man continued to resist right up until it's conclusion.

I can't pretend to know what went on in police or victims minds but my reaction to both videos is, how else would anyone expect this to end? He resisted arrest while suspected of being armed.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join