It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another police involved shooting - Baton Rouge Police Shoot Alton Sterling

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: TDawg61

No, it was because he had a firearm--that was the reason for the 911 call.

Evidently he did.Did make any attempt to aim it at police?As I read it was found in his pocket.So how do they justify lethal force?Not trying to be pro-criminal/anti-cop.
This just isn't the justice system I had grown up with.

Me either.

I was born in 1979. When I was growing up, the Cops were being shot.

Think we should go back to that one?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

The reports are that Sterling bought the gun (from what I've seen, 6 Days earlier) because some people were messing with him and he wanted Protection.

Which is cool... except he knew Convicted Felons can't have Guns.

So he may not have been causing the problem, he may well have been waving the gun around because the guys he was worried about had stepped to him.

But that SCENE of a man waving a gun around on the side walk is what prompted the Call to Cops.

I don't know if the trouble makers were there and left, were there and stayed... or were never there and Alton just got in a mood and started waving a gun. No clue.

But there ARE reports he was being harassed, so he got a gun to defend himself.

So this report could be true... Alton might not have been the guy causing the Problem... but he WAS the guy on the side walk waving a gun.

By all accounts he was well known and well liked, so I don't know if some punks were trying to shake him down for 'rent' for selling his CDs, which he's done practically forever.

But that's very likely.

And it Alton, who had been through a lot in his life, was a bit... hmm... 'shaky' or 'rattled'... then those (in my assumption) Punks could have set this up to get under his skin and have him pull the gun, so Cops would be called. If they felt he was distraught enough to Resist that he'd be Arrested or might respond violently and get killed... then they wouldn't have to do it themselves.

Now this is all speculation on my part, outside of the reports he had been harassed and bought a gun for Protection approx. 6 days earlier. The rest, after that, is me speculating.

So at the end of the day, Alton very well could be a Victim... of those that had harassed him (in my theory), as they pushed him into a situation that risked his life.

It's plausible.

He doesn't have to be the 'Bad Guy Maniac' here.

But NONE of that changes he was a Felon who Resisted Arrest while having an Illegal Pistol on his person. In other words, NONE of that changes what happened between Alton and the Cops.

It will be a sad day indeed if some young thugs broke Alton down to the point that he wouldn't act rationally when Cops came.

But again, that's me speculating.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: shredderofsouls
originally posted by: JinMI

From one of you websites.

Race remains the most volatile flash point in any accounting of police shootings. Although black men make up only 6 percent of the U.S. population, they account for 40 percent of the unarmed men shot to death by police this year, The Post’s database shows. In the majority of cases in which police shot and killed a person who had attacked someone with a weapon or brandished a gun, the person who was shot was white. But a hugely disproportionate number — 3 in 5 — of those killed after exhibiting less threatening behavior were black or Hispanic.

and the other.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

Interesting.

In 2011 Blacks were 12% of the US Population... and while they were 50% of the Victims Murdered they were also the Murderer 52.4% of the time.

When 12% of your Population is both 50% of your Murders and 50% of your Murderers... there's an issue there.

Maybe Blacks should stop killing Blacks? And maybe they could add not resisting arrest anymore to that plan?

Yet you wonder why Blacks, especially ones Resisting Arrest... and especially ones Armed... and especially ones with Prior Felony Convictions... aren't handled with Kid Gloves?

Now the FBI says in 2011 there was 12,664 Murders.
Of the 325 Million Americans, 39 Million are Black and 223.5 Million are White.

Some how a group consisting of 39 Million was able to kill as many people (well, slightly more) as 223.5 Million.

That's a problem. That's a BIG problem.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
Something else that came to mind... I think the officers would have had a much easier time apprehending him if they put their firearms down and used both hands, no?

Explain "put their firearms down"... like, just down... on the ground there?

Have you ANY training in detaining people? You're going to just put a weapon DOWN?

I'm sure no one ever gets killed that way.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
Something else that came to mind... I think the officers would have had a much easier time apprehending him if they put their firearms down and used both hands, no?

Explain "put their firearms down"... like, just down... on the ground there?

Have you ANY training in detaining people? You're going to just put a weapon DOWN?

I'm sure no one ever gets killed that way.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: KillerKell

I got local news for you.... no one was "stepping" to Mr. Sterling.

Turns out the 911 caller was a homeless man. This homeless man had approached Mr. Sterling asking for change. Mr. Sterling's response was to show the homeless man his firearm and threaten him if he did not leave the store.

That homeless man called 911 and reported a man with a gun.

So it turns out Mr. Sterling- who was just trying to make a living feeding his family by selling CD's at a store in the middle of the night, threatened to kill a homeless man cause he was asked for spare change.

Live like a thug and die a thug's death. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
edit on 8-7-2016 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrWendal

I got local news for you.... no one was "stepping" to Mr. Sterling.

Turns out the 911 caller was a homeless man. This homeless man had approached Mr. Sterling asking for change. Mr. Sterling's response was to show the homeless man his firearm and threaten him if he did not leave the store.

That homeless man called 911 and reported a man with a gun.

So it turns out Mr. Sterling- who was just trying to make a living feeding his family by selling CD's at a store in the middle of the night, threatened to kill a homeless man cause he was asked for spare change.

Live like a thug and die a thug's death. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Obviously pending source, since you saw it live and can't transmit that. That aside, thank you very much for this.

I was purely speculating on some guys razzing him, because I had heard (confirmed) that he was being messed with so got a Gun for protection. Good to know who ever was messing with him wasn't sick enough to induce him into this trap.

So basically he just wigged out on some homeless guy? Man, that sucks.

Unless it was this Homeless Man that Sterling felt was harassing him over time, and he got the gun and finally snapped on him.

As I said, I don't know WHO was harassing Sterling, just that people that know him reported he was being harassed so he got a gun.

The other thing I haven't have validated is the Sexual Predator angle. Can you confirm that or deny it? Not that it changes much at this point, just good to have all the facts and to take away all the lies.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MrWendal

Yeah its against the law to brandish a firearm in a threatening manner solely to get someone who is asking for cash to go away.

A convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
A rap sheet a mile long.
Associated with the Crypts gang.

Finally I would like to know what occurred before they started recording.
edit on 8-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
Bad form. Sorry.
edit on Fri, 08 Jul 2016 22:47:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Bad form. Sorry.

please explain..

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My original comment said something stupid like "Oink oink" I will admit when I am wrong, and own up to my stupidity. I came here after arguing with a blue line diehard, not that it excuses my behavior.

edit on Fri, 08 Jul 2016 22:59:58 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
My original comment said something stupid like "Oink oink" I will admit when I am wrong, and own up to my stupidity. I came here after arguing with a blue line diehard, not that it excuses my behavior.

Ah to be honest I didnt see.. All I saw was your bad form comment.. Kind of lost me lol.

No worries man.. There are idiots in all professions and those idiots often times make the job a whole lot harder for the rest of us.

I appreciate your position and what you said though. Shows character and class so thank you.
edit on 8-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You didn't deserve it. As much as I have disagreed with you, it has always been civil as it can be. Plus, I been gone from here so long, I am probably a stranger by now. Blaming all cops is wrong, just as wrong as how some cops treat us. Damnit, the cycle needs to end without bloodshed.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Yeah its against the law to brandish a firearm in a threatening manner solely to get someone who is asking for cash to go away.

A rap sheet a mile long.

Out of curiosity:
(1) How do you know he was 'Associated' with the Crypts and
(2) what is meaned by 'Associated'.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: KillerKell

Obviously pending source, since you saw it live and can't transmit that. That aside, thank you very much for this.

I was purely speculating on some guys razzing him, because I had heard (confirmed) that he was being messed with so got a Gun for protection. Good to know who ever was messing with him wasn't sick enough to induce him into this trap.

So basically he just wigged out on some homeless guy? Man, that sucks.

Unless it was this Homeless Man that Sterling felt was harassing him over time, and he got the gun and finally snapped on him.

As I said, I don't know WHO was harassing Sterling, just that people that know him reported he was being harassed so he got a gun.

The other thing I haven't have validated is the Sexual Predator angle. Can you confirm that or deny it? Not that it changes much at this point, just good to have all the facts and to take away all the lies.

Yes he is/was a convicted sex offender. He was charged with "carnal knowledge of a juvenile" after getting a 14 year old girl pregnant. The charged was filed on 8-4-2000 so he would have been 21 year old at the time. His arrest record begins in 1996 and ends in 2016. You can find a copy of the affidavit as well as his entire criminal history at the following link Alton Sterling

From what I have seen reported locally, the reason for him getting a gun was for protection. One thing people need to understand is that Baton Rogue is one small (very small) step better than New Orleans in terms of crime and danger...and it gets worse every year. That aside, I personally do not buy the whole "protection" story. As you can see from his arrest record, Mr. Sterling has a habit of owning firearms as evidenced by his 2009 arrest for "Felon in possession of a firearm" which he got dismissed, but he did plead guilty to "Illegal carrying weapons with controlled dangerous substance".

I will even go as far as to say that I also suspect Mr. Sterling was not just selling CD's. Let us use some common sense for a second..... who sells CD's late at night on the street? Is there some big music demand out there that people are wondering around at night walking the streets looking for a good deal on music? Hell- when was the last time YOU bought a Compact Disc? I'm not so sure people really buy those anymore. If you do, you need to update your sound system. I suspect the CD's were nothing more than a cover for the selling of topics we are not permitted to discuss, which would explain Mr. Sterling's April 2016 arrest which he was waiting to go to Court for.
edit on 10-7-2016 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

A rap sheet a mile long.

What the video does not show is him being approached by the Police. Being told to put his hands up, Bering ordered to the ground. Him refusing to comply. You do not see the Police attempt to use a tazer on him TWICE before physically taking him down. THAT is what happened before the video started rolling.

Also I am of the understanding he was associated with "Bloods" not "Crypts". Hence why he is wearing a red shirt at the time of his death.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

We probably would see him trying to argue with the police. He knew he was armed and as a convicted felon he knew he would be going to jail for at least a couple years. He was trying to argue his way out of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

We probably would see him trying to argue with the police. He knew he was armed and as a convicted felon he knew he would be going to jail for at least a couple years. He was trying to argue his way out of it.

And to what extent did he argue?

Was he so much Socrates that instead of being able to defend their position with the stance of "Sir, you are a Felon in possession of a Gun, we are going to arrest you now" they had no verbal recourse and instead tased him?

He must have been one mighty fine orator.

Or, perhaps... just maybe... possibly... within the realm of reason... do you think his Resisting went beyond mere words?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

A felon in possession of a firearm s a federal crime with mandatory minimums. Sorry but when you are armed and start refusing verbal commands to comply thats it.

If he is willing to risk many years in prison then he is capable of killing a cop
edit on 12-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

A felon in possession of a firearm s a federal crime with mandatory minimums. Sorry but when you are armed and start refusing verbal commands to comply thats it.

If he is willing to risk many years in prison then he is capable of killing a cop

I think you misunderstood me. I in no way defend Resisting Arrest. Which was my point. Which should be obviously clear from my last sentence.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join