It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Narrow Gate and the Road Few Find

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

see you have to go to the Hebrew and change it. What if the Hebrew copy you have is incorrect and how would you know you couldn't compare it to an original because there are none anywhere in existence to check them too.

Occasionally the two holidays fall with in a few weeks. What you fail to see is the day of Passover is before the days of unleavened bread.

Ac 12:3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) 4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

You see Passover then follows the days of unleavened bread, during those days Herod took Peter prisoner. James was taken prisoner the week before the Day of Passover. And killed him either before Passover or after during the week of unleavened bread.

You need to compare scriptures with scriptures to understand. Rear Exodus 12 and you will the days of unleavened Bread follow the Passover not proceeding it.

So seeing the Passover was past, Herod was waiting for the pagan holiday Easter to pass before killing Peter.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

What if the Hebrew copy you have is incorrect and how would you know you couldn't compare it to an original because there are none anywhere in existence to check them too.

You can just use the Septuagint OT. If it was fine for Jesus and the church of Acts, it's fine for me. His quotes from the OT were from the Septuagint. That's what they used in His day in Israel. And if the Hebrew is incorrect, then God failed to keep His Word. The scribes were absurdly precise copying the Tenakh, for example if they made one slight mistake they started the entire scroll over again from the beginning. It was truly amazing how these guys did their transmissions.

You need to compare scriptures with scriptures to understand. Rear Exodus 12 and you will the days of unleavened Bread follow the Passover not proceeding it.

I don't recall saying it came before the Passover Seder. I said it's all considered "Passover", both the beginning night which is the Seder meal (last supper) and the next 7 days. It's one holiday, not 2. (See below)

the name given to the chief of the three great historical annual festivals of the Jews. It was kept in remembrance of the Lord's passing over the houses of the Israelites ( Exodus 12:13 ) when the first born of all the Egyptians were destroyed. It is called also the "feast of unleavened bread" ( Exodus 23:15 ; Mark 14:1 ; Acts 12:3 ), because during its celebration no leavened bread was to be eaten or even kept in the household ( Exodus 12:15 ). The word afterwards came to denote the lamb that was slain at the feast ( Mark 14:12-14 ; 1 Corinthians 5:7 ).

Passover

"Passover" is a 8 day feast/holiday, not just the first night which is the Seder meal. So yes, it should be Passover in the translation, "pascha" isn't a Greek word, it's transliterated into the Greek from Aramaic, it's an Aramaic word. I said this earlier, maybe you hit the reply button before you read it. What he KJV translators did with pascha would be like if the text said Hanukkah and they translated it as Christmas.

edit on 6-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Hello. What is your opinion about the Didache?

Most hold it around the 1st century and some to the second. But from some summaries they claim it is the earliest and that it takes away the 'divinity' of our Christ. Since it does not mention his virgin birth, death, and resurrection. BUT after I read the Didache I found it is in it's prayers where it definitely displays the divinity of our Lord and Savior. Going by memory one of the early prayers particularly stated the Kingdom of God and its POWER and GLORY 'through Jesus" Forever. Such great CREDIT to give just to a man. Also one of its prayers mentions the broken bread.

Of course the unbelievers will disapprove of this message, but they cannot hide the truth.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Created

It's like traditions of the early church. Much like how some denominations today have a catechism.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

can you give any Bible references that refer to the traditions of the early church specifically?

2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This is one of the most twisted scriptures by the religious.Yahoshua said:

“This is the law and the prophets.Enter in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in .Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads to life, and few there be that find it.”

The wide gate is the law and the prophets which leads to destruction.Entering in the strait gate leads to life (spirit).
This is the most damning(judgement) declaration by Yahoshua that has completely eluded Christianity perception because Christianity is on the broad way that leads to destruction and is the corrupt tree that produces evil fruit with false prophets in sheep’s clothing.

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.You shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.Why by their fruits you shall know them”.

Yahoshua then elucidates who these people are:

"Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven.Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity".

There is only one group of people who call Yahoshua lord and prophesy in his name and claim to do works in his name and it is them that Yahoshua says depart from me you that work iniquity…Christians….. because they are on the broad way that leads to the gate of destruction…the law and the prophets…religion.

The narrow way is not Christianity as they believe falsely nor any methodology of religion even spiritualism which is just another name for self chosen religion. Yahoshua clearly states only a few will take the narrow path to the strait gate and that the disciples are the chosen few who are given to know mystery of the kingdom of their heavens as Yahoshua clearly stated in the preamble to the explanation of the parable of the seed sown in the 4 soils.Unfortunately Christianity will never perceive through their blindness they are the corrupt tree that bears evil fruit.Yahoshua then wraps it up by stating the difference between the disciples and the futility of how Christianity will build their house:

“Therefore whoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, which built his house on a rock:And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell not: for it was founded on a rock. And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house on the sand:And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it”.

The disciples house(the narrow way) was built on the rock (was given to “know” the kingdom of their heavens) that leads to the strait gate to life. Christianity has built their house(of God) on the foundation of the law and the prophets which is sand which is the broad way of religion which leads to destruction because they cannot hear what Yahoshua says.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Isaiah 48:17 (NW):
This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: “I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk.

American Standard Version
Thus saith Jehovah, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am Jehovah thy God, who teacheth thee to profit, who leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

What Does the Bible Really Teach? CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

JEHOVAH GOD deeply cares for us and wants us to benefit from his loving direction. ... There are, however, hundreds of religions that claim to teach the truth about God. Yet, they differ greatly in their teachings about who God is and what he expects of us. ...
You do not have to study and compare the teachings of all the many religions. You need only learn what the Bible really teaches about true worship. To illustrate: In many lands, there is a problem with counterfeit money. If you were given the job of picking out such false money, how would you go about it? By memorizing every kind of counterfeit? No. Your time would be better spent if you studied real money. After you knew what real money looked like, you could recognize a counterfeit. Similarly, when we learn how to identify the true religion, we can recognize those religions that are false.

According to Jesus, what must we do if we want to have God’s approval?

... Many people believe that all religions are pleasing to God, but the Bible does not teach that. It is not even enough just to claim to be a Christian. Jesus said: “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.” To have God’s approval, therefore, we must learn what God requires of us and do it. Jesus called those who do not do God’s will “workers of lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:21-23) Like counterfeit money, false religion has no real value. Even worse, such religion is actually harmful.
Sadly, many refuse to do so. That is why Jesus said: ... (Matthew 7:13, 14)
How can we recognize those who practice the true religion?

How can ‘the road to life’ be found? Jesus said that the true religion would be evident in the lives of the people who practice it. “By their fruits you will recognize them,” he said. “Every good tree produces fine fruit.” (Matthew 7:16, 17) In other words, those who practice the true religion would be recognized by their beliefs and their conduct. Although they are not perfect and they make mistakes, true worshippers as a group seek to do God’s will. Let us consider six features that identify those who practice true religion.
God’s servants base their teachings on the Bible. ... Hence, beliefs and practices of the true religion are not based on human views or tradition. They originate in God’s inspired Word, the Bible.

Jesus Christ set the proper example by basing his teachings on God’s Word. In prayer to his heavenly Father, he said: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) Jesus believed the Word of God, and everything he taught harmonized with the Scriptures. Jesus often said: “It is written.” (Matthew 4:4, 7, 10) Then Jesus would quote a scripture. Similarly, God’s people today do not teach their own ideas. They believe that the Bible is God’s Word, and they base their teachings firmly on what it says.
Those who practice the true religion worship only Jehovah and make his name known. Jesus declared: “For it is written: It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.” (Matthew 4:10 [referring to the Hebrew Scriptures]) Thus, God’s servants worship no one other than Jehovah. This worship includes letting people know what the name of the true God is and what he is like. Psalm 83:18 states: “You, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” Jesus set the pattern in helping others to get to know God, as he said in prayer: “I have made your name manifest to the men whom you gave me out of the world.” (John 17:6) Similarly, true worshippers today teach others about God’s name, his purposes, and his qualities.

Between brackets at the end is mine to remind those who might have an issue with the name Jehovah being used in translations of the Christian Greek Scriptures (I also added the "For it is written" from the bible quotation that wasn't included in the article since they already mentioned that Jesus used that phrase in Matthew 4:10, but I'm afraid some people might miss that reason for knowing that Jesus said "Jehovah" at Matthew 4:10 and still want to argue that he said "the LORD").

God’s people show genuine, unselfish love for one another. ... Godly love overcomes racial, social, and national barriers and draws people together in an unbreakable bond of true brotherhood. (Read Colossians 3:14.) Members of false religions do not have such a loving brotherhood. How do we know that? They kill one another because of national or ethnic differences. True Christians do not take up weapons to kill their Christian brothers or anyone else.
True Christians accept Jesus Christ as God’s means of salvation. ...
True worshippers are no part of the world. When on trial before the Roman ruler Pilate, Jesus said: “My Kingdom is no part of this world.” (John 18:36) No matter what country they live in, Jesus’ true followers are subjects of his heavenly Kingdom and thus maintain strict neutrality in the world’s political affairs. They take no part in its conflicts. However, Jehovah’s worshippers do not interfere with what others choose to do about joining a political party, running for office, or voting. And while God’s true worshippers are neutral regarding politics, they are law-abiding. Why? Because God’s Word commands them to “be in subjection” to the governmental “superior authorities.” (Romans 13:1) Where there is a conflict between what God requires and what a political system requires, true worshippers follow the example of the apostles, who said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29; Mark 12:17.
Jesus’ true followers preach that God’s Kingdom is mankind’s only hope. Jesus foretold: “This good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) Instead of encouraging people to look to human rulers to solve their problems, true followers of Jesus Christ proclaim God’s heavenly Kingdom as the only hope for mankind. (Psalm 146:3) Jesus taught us to pray for that perfect government when he said: “Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.” (Matthew 6:10) God’s Word foretold that this heavenly Kingdom “will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms [now existing], and it alone will stand forever.”—Daniel 2:44; Revelation 16:14; 19:19-21.

That'll do for now, obviously I left out a lot.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

Thank you.

It seems quite plain now. Your "Creator" is outside the realm of religion, meaning religion isn't the conduit by which a connection is made(if that's even an adequate way of expressing it).

But religion is not our enemy. Religion is a milieu in which we live, as it has been written "in the World, but not of the World". As it is also written:

Matt 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples, 2saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sat on Moses' seat. 3All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don't do their works; for they say, and don't do.

The works the hearers were to avoid? Sitting on Moses' seat.

But people have religion.

Endorse the person but not the religion.

But people have internalized idealized gods.

That's not such a problem. Those gods which have become part of them will exist as long as they live, sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker. Sometimes people will dispense with them themselves, if they discover that they serve no useful purpose, but rather hinder.

Anyway, I'm not presuming to teach you, just talking for the benefit of the audience.

edit on 8-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Religions are mind control of the few over the many, do you zealots really think a LOVING God (that's what the Bible says right) a loving forgiving merciful god is going to torture people in hell forever for one sin even if it's a unbaptized baby? You think that? My friend you need to see a doctor quick..
edit on 8-7-2016 by Fahrenheit because: Typo

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Fahrenheit

Welcome to ATS Fahrenheit.

Religions are mind control of the few over the many,

Religions are like political parties. They do involve social engineering, ostensibly to provide a well regulated, sustainable civilization. And like political parties, they can, and sometimes do become dysfunctional.

But the thing is, if you polled the participants of the thread, the results would indicate that most claim to not be religious, but rather, to have found a better way.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Who is the gate? Who is the way?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Hello whereislogic:

I have upon occasion argued with JWs, but not much, and for not very long. The reason being that I appreciate the stated reason for being a separate Christian group, abhorrence of Christian on Christian violence because of nationalism, primarily WWI.

Given the near unanimity (at the time) of Western Nations identifying as Christian, of course it seemed wise to question the very definition of Christian. And since people tend to reflect in behavior what they get from their gods, there must be a flaw in the prevailing definition.

But consider the differences in time and situation, between the time of Jesus and now. Primarily, the people did not read the scriptures themselves. The Pharisees were the buffer, the arbitrators of what was appropriate behavior for the people. That's not a bad thing.

The land was a Roman province. There were Roman roads. Roman roads have distance markers. Those markers were believed by the Romans to possess local divine spirits. To Torah taught people these would qualify as demon bearing idols. If the Pharisee were to read out a section of Torah about purification of the land and the hearers took that literally to heart, there would be great vandalism resulting in great violence.

The zealots had such teachers, teaching purification of the land, through literal Torah command and sanction.

Now days, people have the writings close to hand, and people know how to read. Christianity is fragmented into several sects, some moderate, some zealous, some safe, some extremely dangerous in ideology.

If you would permit me to make a suggestion. I would recommend Victoria Clark's book Allies for Armageddon: The Rise of Christian Zionism, it puts a few things into perspective. Primarily the danger inherent in the taking of literal Bible verses as justification for manmade establishment of World Empire of Zionism (all according to scripture) with all the violence and destruction and death that is bringing and will continue to bring.

This should be our present day concern and not so much European Christian vs European Christian based on nationalism, but rather Empire verses people violence to manufacture a bible based, chosen people based illusion of Kingdom of God (whatever that is).

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Thank you.It seems quite plain now. Your "Creator" is outside the realm of religion, meaning religion isn't the conduit by which a connection is made(if that's even an adequate way of expressing it).

Thank you for reading.Re your statement:….Yes it is quite plain and because it is so obvious that is one reason why Christianity cannot perceive it.The only way a conduit connection is made to the creator God is if they(the creator God) connect it 100%.Mans religion is the disconnect because they have eaten of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil(religion) because it is their nature of sin.

But religion is not our enemy. Religion is a milieu in which we live, as it has been written "in the World, but not of the World”.As it is also written:

Matt 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples, 2saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sat on Moses' seat. 3All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don't do their works; for they say, and don't do.

The works the hearers were to avoid? Sitting on Moses' seat

The amalgamation of all of a persons experiences form their belief through faith of THEIR Belief System (BS) religion.In other words ALL of mankind are religious because it is human nature.What is perceived as “religion” is the religion religious systems of “herd religions like Christianity Islam Hinduism etc etc etc…Those are only the “sand” foundations men built THEIR religion on .

As for religion not being mans enemy that is TRUE and is not true(a double edged sword).Religion is sin(missing the mark of perfection/maturity) however it also the fertilizer in some of the soil the seed is sown into.In the parable of the seed and soils, 2 of the 4 types of soils(adamah…adam..man) grow corrupt trees(the wayside soil grows nothing.. neither good or evil tree) because they are grown with fertilizer (#zu).The fertile soil(new man... 2nd adam) that does not need fertilizer grows a good tree producing good fruit that multiplies.

The sole benefit of religion is it compels those that are corrupt(religion religious) to “act” more ethical and moral than their character(corrupted).Because of the nature of religion(sin) this is not a cure because religion is corruption and will always grow a corrupt tree with evil fruit.Yahoshua was saying the pharisees were corrupt however the core tenants(the law and the prophets) compel the believers to “act” more ethical and moral than their nature however the double edged sword is unsheathed like the Pharisees(religious leaders) who have been completely corrupted by the law and the prophets(Moses seat) and cannot be compelled to act more ethically or moral than their character.

But people have religion. Endorse the person but not the religion.But people have internalized idealized gods.That's not such a problem. Those gods which have become part of them will exist as long as they live, sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker. Sometimes people will dispense with them themselves, if they discover that they serve no useful purpose, but rather hinder.Anyway, I'm not presuming to teach you, just talking for the benefit of the audience.

Yes that is the basis of what Yahoshua was proclaiming as the Good news and I am stating in agreence.Yahoshua(the creator God’s deliverance/salvation) will deliver ALL of creation including all of mankind from Hades with ZERO assistance from them.The methodology of religion-religion in any form is the antithesis of Yahoshua.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

I am not here to be entangled with argument.If you preach your false religion I will not be answering. .However I will answer your question.

Yahoshua is the gate and the way.Yahoshua means Yahweh(the creator God) is deliverance. Yahoshua proclaimed the Good news of the deliverance of ALL of creation from Hades which is the realm of death(the grave) and the realm of imperception (religion).

An addendum to your question.The broad way that leads to the wide gate of destruction is not the Christian myth of the eternal punishment of Hell.It is as Yahoshua and John spoke of as the eternal (translated from the Greek word aion which means age not infinite time) fire or the lake of fire(the 2nd death…. the 1st death being physical death)where the corrupt tree that does not bear good fruit will be cast.Yahoshua clearly stated those that blaspheme the holy spirit do not have forgiveness(translated from the Greek word aphesis which means freed from bondage) in this age(aion) nor the next age.This age is the material realm.The next age is the realm of death (Hades).

Those that have blasphemed the holy spirit(the action of the power of the creator God in truth) will be resurrected from physical death and then cast into the lake of fire(the 2nd death) to be tormented which is translated from the Greek word basanizo which means to be tested by a touchstone…a way of testing precious metals.Paul was given this knowledge and he called it tested by fire and those who’s live’s were hay and stubble(belief in their false religion the corrupt tree that bears evil fruit) will be delivered to life(spirit) through this cleansing fire( a metaphor) however they will suffer great loss.This was the crux of what Yahoshua declared in the Good news.ALL of mankind(even Christians) will be delivered/saved from Hades according to their character.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

No, that's correct for what Jesus Himself said was the gate me the way. Above you said something else was the gate and the way. But correct, Jesus is the gate, He is the way.

"I am the gate. If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture." - John 10:9

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." - John 14:6

edit on 8-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

As for religion not being mans enemy that is TRUE and is not true(a double edged sword).

I was reading a debate between an atheist and a religionist. The atheist suggested that the religionist's presentation was using a fallacy called False dilemma. I looked it up and read about what that means, then clicked a link (which I can't find now) which stated that a particular type of logic rule wasn't being used much because a new math formula showed how a thing could be true and not true at the same time. (can't recall the name) It's just a perspective change.

A hammer is a tool. A saw is a tool. A saw can cut a piece of wood into two usable pieces of wood. A hammer can be used to make one piece of wood into two pieces of wood also, but the two pieces will only be good for firewood.

A hammer is good and a saw is good at the same time. And a hammer is not a saw.
edit on 8-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rex282
I am not here to be entangled with argument.If you preach your false religion I will not be answering. .However I will answer your question.

Yahoshua is the gate and the way. ...

Which was a response to:

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Jesus—The Way, the Truth, the Life:

Still in the upper room with the apostles after the memorial meal, Jesus encourages them: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God; exercise faith also in me.”—John 13:36; 14:1.

Jesus gives the faithful apostles reason not to be troubled over his departure: “In the house of my Father are many dwelling places. . . . If I go my way and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will receive you home to myself, so that where I am you also may be.” The apostles, however, do not grasp that he is speaking about going to heaven. Thomas asks: “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?”—John 14:2-5.

“I am the way and the truth and the life,” Jesus answers. Only by accepting him and his teachings and imitating his life course can one enter the heavenly house of his Father. Jesus says: “No one comes to the Father except through me.”—John 14:6.

Philip, listening intently, requests: “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Philip seems to want some manifestation of God, like the visions that Moses, Elijah, and Isaiah received. However, the apostles have something better than such visions. Jesus highlights that, replying: “Even after I have been with you men for such a long time, Philip, have you not come to know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father also.” Jesus perfectly reflects the Father’s personality; hence, living with and observing Jesus is like seeing the Father. Of course, the Father is superior to the Son, for Jesus points out: “The things I say to you I do not speak of my own originality.” (John 14:8-10) The apostles can see that Jesus is giving all credit for his teachings to his Father.

John 1:18a (KJV):

No man hath seen God at any time...

Exodus 33:20 (NASB):

But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"

Hebrews 11:27 (NW):

By faith he left Egypt, but not fearing the anger of the king, for he continued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible.

Ephesians 1:18a (NW)

He has enlightened the eyes of your heart, so that you may know to what hope he called you,...

Has Anyone Ever Seen God? How Can You See God? | Bible Questions:

The Bible’s answer

No human has literally seen God. (Exodus 33:20; John 1:18; 1 John 4:12) The Bible says that “God is a Spirit,” a form of life that is invisible to the human eye.—John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17.

God can be seen directly by angels, though, because they are spirit creatures. (Matthew 18:10) Moreover, some humans who die will be raised to life in heaven with a spirit body and will then be able to see God.—Philippians 3:20, 21; 1 John 3:2.

How to “see” God now

The Bible often uses the idea of seeing figuratively, to represent enlightenment. (Isaiah 6:10; Jeremiah 5:21; John 9:39-41) In this sense, a person can see God now with “the eyes of [his] heart” by having faith so as to know Him and appreciate His qualities. (Ephesians 1:18) The Bible describes steps to build this kind of faith.

- Learn about God’s qualities, such as his love and generosity as well as his wisdom and power, through his creation. (Romans 1:20) After being reminded of God’s creative works, the faithful man Job felt as though God were right before his eyes.—Job 42:5.

- Get to know God by studying the Bible. “If you search for [God], he will let himself be found by you,” the Bible assures us.—1 Chronicles 28:9; Psalm 119:2; John 17:3.

- Learn about God through the life of Jesus. Since Jesus perfectly reflected the personality of his Father, Jehovah God, he could rightly say: “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father also.”—John 14:9.

- Live in a way that pleases God, and see how he acts in your behalf. Jesus said: “Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God.” As noted earlier, some who please God will be resurrected to heaven and will thus “see God” there.—Matthew 5:8; Psalm 11:7.

Did not Moses, Abraham, and others actually see God?

In accounts where it might seem that the Bible says that humans literally saw God, the context shows that God was represented by an angel or appeared by means of a vision.

Angels.

In ancient times, God sent angels as his representatives to appear to humans and to speak in his name. (Psalm 103:20) For example, God once spoke to Moses from a burning bush, and the Bible says that “Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at the true God.” (Exodus 3:4, 6) Moses did not literally see God, though, for the context shows that he actually saw “Jehovah’s angel.”—Exodus 3:2.

Similarly, when the Bible says that God “spoke to Moses face-to-face,” it means that God conversed with Moses intimately. (Exodus 4:10, 11; 33:11) Moses did not actually see God’s face, for the information he received from God “was transmitted through angels.” (Galatians 3:19; Acts 7:53) Still, Moses’ faith in God was so strong that the Bible described him as “seeing the One who is invisible.”—Hebrews 11:27.

In the same way that he spoke to Moses, God communicated with Abraham through angels. Granted, a casual reading of the Bible might give the impression that Abraham literally saw God. (Genesis 18:1, 33) However, the context shows that the “three men” who came to Abraham were actually angels sent by God. Abraham recognized them as God’s representatives and addressed them as if he were speaking directly to Jehovah.—Genesis 18:2, 3, 22, 32; 19:1.

Visions.

God has also appeared to humans through visions, or scenes presented to a person’s mind. For instance, when the Bible says that Moses and other Israelites “saw the God of Israel,” they really “saw a vision of the true God.” (Exodus 24:9-11) Likewise, the Bible sometimes says that prophets “saw Jehovah.” (Isaiah 6:1; Daniel 7:9; Amos 9:1) In each case, the context shows that they were given a vision of God rather than a direct view of him.—Isaiah 1:1; Daniel 7:2; Amos 1:1.

edit on 9-7-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join