It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Unprecedented’: Scientists declare global climate emergency; jet stream crosses equator

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But that is not what is causing the massive deforestation problem across SA. It's not indigenous people causing the massive problem it's that they have no where to go and are slashing and burning the fragments left.

I didn't meant to say it wasn't an issue but it isn't the issue. It becomes an issue when the forest is already limited and scarce of resources.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Huh. Logging is not the main problem.

Causes of deforestation in the Amazon
Cattle ranching 65-70%
Small-scale, subsistence agriculture 20-25%
Large-scale, commercial agriculture 5-10%
Logging, legal and illegal 2-3%
Fires, mining, urbanization, road construction, dams 1-2%

rainforests.mongabay.com...

Perhaps education on more sustainable farming methods could reduce that impact.
blog.cifor.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Unfortunately that beef is not even domestic. They are the number one exporter of beef.

Which is one of the reasons why I made the choice to eat lamb a while ago. If I eat beef it's us and local.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

My local beef is pretty much the fancy stuff and really, really pricey. The rest comes from the US, I think. In any case I don't eat a lot of it.

But hey, how 'bout them Jets(treams)?

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Causes of deforestation in the Amazon
Cattle ranching 65-70%
Small-scale, subsistence agriculture 20-25%
Large-scale, commercial agriculture 5-10%
Logging, legal and illegal 2-3%
Fires, mining, urbanization, road construction, dams 1-2%

Perhaps education on more sustainable farming methods could reduce that impact.

The hidden impact may come from weed and coca growing...but I do wonder whether the percentages of subsistence and commercial agriculture should be reversed then? They could not possibly be high all the time

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Discotech

Very true... If it's colder than normal, global warming. If it's hotter than normal, global warming. If there are more storms than usual, global warming, if there are less storms than usual, global warming. If you don't buy into the contradictions, DENIER!!!!!

Hence why they now call it climate change because some people with the attention span of an impatient tabloid reader in a hurry have great difficulty in understanding the affects of a warming climate and how some areas can get warmer, others cooler, wetter, drier etc etc. But overall warmer (although the secret is "increasing energy"). Trying to explain complex systems to some people is impossible. I have seen it attempted many times here on ATS (Phage has tried many many times and hats off for his perseverance).

There are no contradictions if you understand what is happening and why. Ignorance isn't an excuse since you are here on ATS with a wealth of connections to educate yourself with.
edit on 29/6/2016 by yorkshirelad because: missing word "hats"

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

The hidden impact may come from weed and coca growing
Not sure that happens in the Amazon very much.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

The MSM are always trying to sell you fear.

Ignore it...it is BS.

Is anyone you disagree with classified into the MSM?

I ask because the person who made the findings... doesnt work for the MSM

How do you know that? Do you have personal inside information into their finances? Do they have tenure and is following the party line necessary to keep their job? Have they had grants, the flowing of which is predicated on maintaining the present drive towards carbon taxation?

Please provide the relevant documentation ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Normally...
'
does not this 'anomaly' a crisis make. But go ahead, convince me we should worry global warming wagon...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Not sure that happens in the Amazon very much.

Probably not very much but it happens...

Authorities discovered the first known coca plantations in Brazil's jungle at the weekend after satellite images revealed clearings that turned out to be about 2 hectares (5 acres) of coca plantations.

"We believe they are using a transgenic or an adaptation of the leaf used in the Andean region," Filho said. "They are probably trying to find new locations to grow this, so we need to stay alert. If we don't do anything it might even become a source of deforestation."

source

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Thanks, but...

It's been warmer than normal.

Someone else just used the 'normal' ploy. Sorry, the ice has been melting for some time, I agree,. Glaciers and permafrost going away yes...

...worrying about "global agendas", pushing the weather as opposed to the real problems of pollution here and now... doesn't work with me.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The deniers will continue to deny anything is happening as a result of our actions until they can't grow crops in Kansas anymore.

And even then.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Someone should've taxed the wooly mammoths for all that CO2 they produced. It might have saved their lives.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

As with all animals and plants, the CO2 produced is carbon neutral. It comes from the atmosphere (via photosynthesis) and returns to it (via respiration and decomposition).

The combustion of fossil fuels is not carbon neutral.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
So let me get this straight, there is an actual state of the climate that is normal? Who gets to decide what normal is for the Earth?

Al Gore.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We all will either die in a climate induced hell that will destroy all life on the planet forever, or we'll get some weather.

Either, or.

is that all

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

As with all animals and plants, the CO2 produced is carbon neutral. It comes from the atmosphere (via photosynthesis) and returns to it (via respiration and decomposition).

The combustion of fossil fuels is not carbon neutral.

So you're saying the animals prior to the last ice age burned too many fossil fuels?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

So you're saying the animals prior to the last ice age burned too many fossil fuels?

No. I don't think I did say that.
newsroom.ucla.edu...

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: Discotech

Scientists are clueless

LOL Every single scientist ever is clueless? Interesting. Wonder where medical progress, computers, modern surgery, moon landings, space program, smart phones, GPS...Chemistry, Biology...Where did all that come from. God I suppose. Our scientists were/are much too stupid to contribue to humanity in any meaningful way, eh? LOL

Pretty sure he was talking about climate scientists.

And why are those scientists more incompetent than every other scientist on earth? Let's consider that question for a moment. Every climate scientist is clueless. That would men not just climatologists, but also meteorologists, geophysicists, oceanographers, Paleo-climatologists, Atmospheric scientists, and many other disciplines are clueless.

Why is it that we only question the credentials of these scientists and not every other scientific discipline? Why are these thousands upon thousands of scientists all clueless criminals?

As you can see that makes no sense.

The more logical answer is that some of us believe the bloggers and news pundits who are driven by political ideology and corporate money. Here in the US, those bloggers and news pundits are overwhelmingly Right wing, republican and conservative. And the real crime is that many of our citizens in the usa will believe anything if it comes from a right wing news source.

They've been brainwashed and fed lies and misinformation and partisan propaganda.
edit on 29-6-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

that's a hell of a spike. looks like the border of the graph

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join