It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Unprecedented’: Scientists declare global climate emergency; jet stream crosses equator

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So, if I am getting what he said right he says that if the northern and southern jet streams cross over in a stable fashion it will lead to temperature normalization which would be bad for agriculture.

Much cooler where it should be warmer and much warmer where it should be cooler. If that happens then there should probably be more consequences than just agriculture.
edit on 29-6-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yeah. That's what he said.
But he's wrong about jet streams.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh.. What do you mean? Are the jet streams not crossing over?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

What do you mean? Are the jet streams not crossing over?
Yes. That is what I mean.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

OK I see.

I missed that post. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Bone75

So you're saying the animals prior to the last ice age burned too many fossil fuels?

No. I don't think I did say that.
newsroom.ucla.edu...

How many of those spikes correlate with a dramatic climate change event?

Also, if the whole world stopped burning fossil fuels right now, how long do you think it would take CO2 levels to drop back below 400 ppm?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

How many of those spikes correlate with a dramatic climate change event?
Off hand, I don't know. But those spikes are significantly less than the current one.

Also, if the whole world stopped burning fossil fuels right now, how long do you think it would take CO2 levels to drop back below 400 ppm?
Below 400? I don't know. To 280/300 a long, long time. But stopping the combustion of fossil fuels is not really practical (is it even on the table?). On the other hand, reducing the emissions of CO2 would, if not stop warming, at least slow it down. Giving more time to adjust.

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I suppose the "business as usual" folks, aka "deniers," stopped reading after the predictable "climate always changes" posts and things got too nuanced for them... oh well, we who trust science to give us a clue will continue to fight the ignorance right until the mass exodus from sea level and swarms of starving refuges come.

Again, there is no downside to changing to renewable, non polluting power sources and trying to clean up our immense, horrid mess. We can still have our cars, electricity and frills.. .we'll just have to be smarter about it.

Let's hope we're wrong about the consequences of biz as usual .. .but we're not. The projected 'worst case scenarios' are pretty sobering in an 'everyone dead' sense.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

WOW - have you got it wrong!

Deniers are NOT into business as usual. I can't think of a single person who thinks we can keep squandering resources

as for your premise that climate change believers are somehow doing good...

1 biofuels use up arable land. We can't grow our food and our energy as well. 1 L of biofuels uses 1.5 litres of fuel to create and pollute more than fossil fuels. Biofuels also cause deforestration.

2. Windmills and solar panels do not create "free" energy. Precious metals need to be mined in China to be used in these things. Since the energy is unreliable, every windmill and every solar panel requires cogeneration plants bases on fossil fuels. The on/off power generation is not energy efficient.

Electric vehicles are more costly to operate

and on and on and on - sorry but current "green" plans are anything but.

we object to global cash re-distribution which is what carbon trading is.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks
Has anyone said that reducing carbon emissions would be without cost?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

lets see "increased use of fossil fuels" and "transfer of cash from one nation to another". Yes that most certainly increased cost - now show me how its decreases emissions of carbon dioxide.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Neither of those things do so nor were they on your limited list of options.
But then, its not about doing either of those things.
edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Yeah this is why people are skeptical about climate change.

The guy has his master's in laser engineering or something unrelated.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Biofuels use up arable land and more resources....nope. algae.

Windmills and solar panels require precious metals from China. Nope. On off not efficient?

Do you have any engineering or physics background?

Your telling me that extracting a fossil fuel, refining it for energy use, burning it, stepping up the electricity, kicking it back down, and then making something like electric heat is more efficient than a perovskite solar panel? Or a vortex turbine? Ever see the Tesla giga factory design?

Also we should be using all the renewables hydro electric, tidal, solar, wind, while looking towards advanced physics for the future of energy and space travel.

Electric vehicles are more costly to operate?
Nope.

Bucky fuller was telling the world to design the most with the least in the 1940's. The man got 40mpg with a model t engine in a cat that seated 11 and went 100mph.

All because he hired aircraft engineers to work on the designs. He wanted to move the ww2 engineers and machinists who were making planes and bombs for the war into what he called "livingry" rather than weaponry.

If we wanted to and there wasn't oligarchy control on the market our level of artifacts to deal with efficiency/scarcity would be far greater.

Carbon trading totally stupid. Check
edit on 30-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So, can we just say it already? If they know how it all works, it's safe to assume they probably have a pretty good idea of how to make it happen. Right?
edit on 30-6-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

The jet stream, like the gulf stream, was never on a fixed path, so to speak. But they follow the same basic routes year round. Some time ago I read an article which speculated that the gulf stream may stall. Some people believe that has actually happened.

The gulf stream and the jet stream both have significant affect on seasonal weather. Any major anomaly with either is truly frightening and something we don't have much experience with. The effects have been modeled over the years and none of the models were particularly encouraging. Basically it points to extremes in weather. Cold becomes near ice age conditions. Hot becomes polar ice cap melting heat waves that raise global water levels to threat status for shorelines everywhere.

It also has a big impact on migration, both air and sea. Any major disruption in any part of the normal food chain is not without serious consequence. This is indeed disturbing.
edit on 30-6-2016 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
In the studies of chaotic systems, many quasi-stabilize from synchronization of minor systems that they encompass. They may reach a rough equilibrium that is very delicate and teetering on the edge of wild occasional swings. We see these as the extremes, and when it comes to weather... Our history shows us what it is sometimes capable of. What we contribute to this delicate balance can only make it more unstable and unpredictable. I think this is pretty much what we are seeing today.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

WINTER IS COMING?

WAIT....

WINTER IS HERE?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

please be patient here and I will try to explain this to you.

Whenever a country puts up a new wind turbine , solar panel biogas plant ect, they report the maximum kW that particular installation will or even the total for an entire country. Then they will proudly proclaim that they has hit a target of 60 % of energy produced by the total kW of energy that the facilities will potentially produce and proudly give themselves rewards for their eco energy plan.

This is another case of total spin.

The dirty little secret of renewable resources energy generation is that it is an intermittant energy source and will never, in fact, meet its total potential energy output and that every installation must have a co-generation plant based on fossil fuels to bridge those times when the energy is intermittant.

The cogeneration plant must run continuously in order to be on standby for when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine.

Any energy being produced by the renewable energy is already being produced by the cogeneration plant. Excessive energy is sold either very cheaply or simply given to other power grids at no cost.

We could forget the turbine windmill or the solar panel altogethr and just operate the co-generation plant and produce the same energy at a cheaper cost (most of the cogeneration plants are based on natural gas or simply nuclear.

now the co-generation plant produced the same kW as the renewable energy source but they go to an awful lot of trouble to report only what the renewable resource produced.

As for Big Wind using earth metals from china (as I previously stated and was called a liar for my troubles)...

instituteforenergyresearch.org...

Rare Earth Horrors Manufacturing wind turbines is a resource-intensive process. A typical wind turbine contains more than 8,000 different components, many of which are made from steel, cast iron, and concrete. One such component are magnets made from neodymium and dysprosium, rare earth minerals mined almost exclusively in China, which controls 95 percent of the world’s supply of rare earth minerals. Simon Parry from the Daily Mail traveled to Baotou, China, to see the mines, factories, and dumping grounds associated with China’s rare-earths industry. What he found was truly haunting: As more factories sprang up, the banks grew higher, the lake grew larger and the stench and fumes grew more overwhelming. ‘It turned into a mountain that towered over us,’ says Mr Su. ‘Anything we planted just withered, then our animals started to sicken and die.’ People too began to suffer. Dalahai villagers say their teeth began to fall out, their hair turned white at unusually young ages, and they suffered from severe skin and respiratory diseases. Children were born with soft bones and cancer rates rocketed. Official studies carried out five years ago in Dalahai village confirmed there were unusually high rates of cancer along with high rates of osteoporosis and skin and respiratory diseases. The lake’s radiation levels are ten times higher than in the surrounding countryside, the studies found.

Now I am not saying that renewable energy doesn't have its place. Depending on the source and the site, it could reduce fossil fuel use but it is not for powering the grid! Not until they have solved the intermittent generation problem.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Also what they fail to tell you is that to build one of those wind turbines, the lifespan of that single turbine will NEVER offset the fossil fuel expenditure it took to produce and place it.

Not to mention that they use huge Diesel engines to operate

But people keep buying the propaganda

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join