It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Unprecedented’: Scientists declare global climate emergency; jet stream crosses equator

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Welly brother had full scholarships to UT, McGill, and University of Chicago and did post grad work at fermilab.

He is beyound smart and does weather modelling for a company that consults major investment firms on the market impact of climate change. So there are a lot of dumb dumbs out there taking it seriously I guess.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I have a suggestion... Give Americans (since I'm in America) one year to prepare and then shut down the power grid. Kill all cars and we can live off the land, walk, travel on horseback, and stop killing the climate with the technology another poster mentioned that scientists created. We can go back to pissing on cuts and abrasions to disinfect them.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well I guess that would be the dumb dumb aproach now wouldn't it.

Your right though it's probably only an A or B answer.

Sarcasm.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Which of course wouldn't make a lick of difference because China and India aren't going to stop what they're doing. They'd just sit over there, laugh, and then roll in a take us over and start rapidly building coal plants, damming the rivers, clear cutting, strip mining and everything else the greenies hate and say will kill us all and forced us to roll over to attempt to avoid.

But we'd be communist finally, so you wouldn't hear them complain at all.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Then you can explain to me why colder weather means global warming, warmer weather means global warming, less hurricanes mean global warming, and more hurricanes mean global warming. Better yet, what DOESN'T mean global warming to you?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I dont understand the shift..almost every time. All the person said was that smart people are infact climate scientists. And those same smart people are telling the rest of us " hey guys, big problem over here"- Im gonna listen and not keep my head in the sand.

Just because there's a sect of a political party that wants to try and profit off that, does NOT make the idea any less real. For instance, fighting HItler in WW2 was righteous; doesn't mean there weren't war profiteers in the government .

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Exactly. They're doing their job. And I never said they were retarded. I said they give the answers they're being paid to give.

My point here is that the Earth is doing exactly what it has been doing for billions of years and for thousands and thousands of years, humans have adapted. We will too.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

China is fully realizing it's problem and leading the world in many renewable energies. Certainly leading the world in renewable energy investment.

I have a solution we get rid of lobby power and government corperate handouts and let the inovators create the artifacts needed to proceed and stabilize enviornemntal impact instead of letting oligarch control over the energy market.

Call me a communist but that may be a good aproach.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Global warming means the average temperature of the planet is rising. Global warming means that climates are changing. Changing climates mean that weather patterns are changing. What you have described are changing weather patterns.

What global warming doesn't mean to me? It doesn't mean that the average temperature of the planet is falling or remaining the same.

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Phage

Then you can explain to me why colder weather means global warming, warmer weather means global warming, less hurricanes mean global warming, and more hurricanes mean global warming. Better yet, what DOESN'T mean global warming to you?

First, global warming does not mean that if the Earth has a cooling period, climate change isnt happening.
Because this:

Global Warming vs. Climate Change Both of the terms in question are used frequently in the scientific literature, because they refer to two different physical phenomena. As the name suggests, 'global warming' refers to the long-term trend of a rising average global temperature, which you can see here:

www.skepticalscience.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

There's nothing catastrophic or new about the weather changing. And even if it does spell catastrophe in the future, America alone won't stop it. It will take every country on every continent and I don't see that happening.

I'll rely on this being something that alarms some people, alerts others, and has no effect on the rest. I fall in the "has no effect" crowd. It's not a bad idea to be on alert because I figure people will do what they think will help and though it won't be enough, it won't do any harm. Like living by the Bible, it won't do any harm.

I'm not denying climate change, but I'm very skeptical about it being catastrophic.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jansy

No one has ever posted that in a climate change thread before.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

Why the sun going blank means a ‘Game of Thrones’-like winter is coming

So the 2 will cancel each other out right and we'll have "normal" weather

And those same smart people are telling the rest of us " hey guys, big problem over here"- Im gonna listen and not keep my head in the sand.

The problem is when there's another group of equally smart people saying the complete opposite

Who prey tell, are we supposed to listen to ?

It's akin to going to a Mercedes dealership and an Audi dealership and asking the reps which is the better brand

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

There is not an equally large group saying there is no problem. That is rediculous

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The largest majority of people that don't buy into global warming are Meteorologists that see the weather everyday. And again, I never said climate scientists are dumb.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

That's the best scenario if a global warming catastrophe looms on the horizon.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

The problem is when there's another group of equally smart people saying the complete opposite
Opposite of what? They say a prolonged period of low solar activity will cause more warming? Or do they say it's not clear what effect such a scenario would represent in terms of climate?

The thing is, the relationship between sunspot activity and climate is a topic of quite a bit of speculation more than anything. The much vaunted Little Ice Age seems to have actually started well before the Maunder minimum. Did the minimum exacerbate it? Maybe.

The Maunder Minimum, also known as the "prolonged sunspot minimum", is the name used for the period starting in about 1645 and continuing to about 1715 when sunspots became exceedingly rare, as noted by solar observers of the time.

The Little Ice Age is a period between about 1300 and 1870 during which Europe and North America were subjected to much colder winters than during the 20th century. The period can be divided in two phases, the first beginning around 1300 and continuing until the late 1400s.

(Both from wikipedia)

The thing is we've been seeing a decline in solar activity, but temperatures keep rising.

edit on 6/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The largest majority of people that don't buy into global warming are Meteorologists that see the weather everyday.

Where on Earth did you hear that, or did you just make that up

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Exactly... China and its population of 1.4 billion isn't going to do a damn thing so no matter how much WE as federal taxpayers fund this global warming BS, it's not going to change. Between them and India, we're looking at 2.72 billion people that aren't going to do jack. Think 320 million will make a difference versus that? Me either.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Exactly... China and its population of 1.4 billion isn't going to do a damn thing so no matter how much WE as federal taxpayers fund this global warming BS, it's not going to change. Between them and India, we're looking at 2.72 billion people that aren't going to do jack. Think 320 million will make a difference versus that? Me either.

So what? So even if this was true, which it isn't entirely, y'all are saying we do nothing but sit here and take it? Not prepare? Not believe? Not contribute or cooperate or protect ourselves? Pffft. There's a word for this that used to be used a lot around here.
edit on 6/29/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join