It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sympathy For Those Scared By The Brexit Result

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I expect someone will try to harm us in some way as punishment for expressing our views. That's the only thing I'm really concerned about. Everything else I expect will straighten out in time.

The unsettling feeling that this result has caused for some hard-working foreigners is in my view all down to the easy availability of oil burning transport. Everyone close to me who has problems caused by travelling huge distances and then starting a family is in my view a victim of their own short-sightedness. They think 'Oh. I can just hop on a plane/ship/train/bus. My life will be so much better, more interesting, and I'll have more money.' So they hop on the oil burning transport without thinking it through.

I know some of them here will be scared today and I think we should be sympathetic towards them.

But I still think they're daft for burning up so much oil without considering the consequences.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

You aren't wrong about different countries going bankrupt but - its the EU itself that we need to be watching for a lack of funds. As budgets are being made for the future, there will be a huge gap to fill and not many countries that could replace the British contribution.

Something a lot of people don't realise is that when we get grant made to the UK by the EU, thee grants come with many strings attached and often don't actually deal with why the grant is needed. No one seems to want to discuss the fact that we won't be making our huge contributions to the EU so some of that money should be invested in this country. Politicians have had a big slap in the face with this vote and it wasn't all about just the EU it was also about the divide between the rich and poor and cameron and ilk not doing anything about it.

Perhaps once we are out of the EU, we will be able to claim the right amount of tax on goods sold and services carried out in this country by corporations who won't be able to hide in the EU and we can make our own laws that benefit the bad payers here. It will also top a lot of non-Brits having an overall say on our politics and foreign policy.

Security by being in the EU was made a big part of frightening Brits, but I would point out that we were in the EU when part of our country e.g. the Falklands were invaded. NATO didn't help us then yet were our allies, as indeed the same went for the Americans. I noted no one on the tv mentioned that salient point. So how much could Brits depend on NATO is a mute point.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

So this is really a question about immigration?

It most certainly is despite what people will tell you. Without the immigration issue the results would have been very different.

It's also clearly a populist victory and a message send to an elite class living in ivory towers.

But there's also problem when you act according to populist demands and Churchill summarized it well in a famous quote:

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

We'll see how all this turns out.

edit on 24-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

So you pick on one element from my post and concentrate on that?

It was part of the decision obviously, but it wasn't my main reason for wanting to leave, as I have stated on ATS many, many, many times.

We'll take a hit initially, we've pissed off the Bilderbergers, so that is to be expected. However, we will navigate our way through the storm and be stronger for it.
edit on 24/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Good luck, y'all.

I'll be very interested to see how this effects NATO, and more importantly, the "special" relationship between England and the U.S.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Good luck, y'all.

I'll be very interested to see how this effects NATO, and more importantly, the "special" relationship between England and the U.S.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting.

If the special relationship is dependent on the U.K being part of the E.U, then how special is it?

We didn't vote to leave NATO, only the E.U.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

w-h-o will attend the low wager jobs? Will Y-O-U as a N-A-T-I-O-N force people to do things they dont want to do?

I dont want to hear stories about;" We will be stronger, we need to work together "

I Want To Hear Facts On How You Deal With Humans ?

I dont Want To Hear Stories About Magic..

There has been the same amount of s# in your country the last 70 years, The Media chooses to show or not to show it...

The men who orchestrated this dont give a rats ass about you..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
We know a number of people scared by the Brexit outcome. They've been convinced that they will have to leave the country as a result. For people set on bringing up their children here it's a devastating blow. I personally think a lot of scaremongering went on, but I'm not in that position so I wouldn't know.

Can I ask that we all show sympathy for those who feel their entire future is at stake following the Brexit vote.

I have children. I think this is a tragedy in the making. I'm certainly worried for my children's future. I have already got the ball rolling this morning on emmigrating - Australia or the US are looking particularly attractive.

To be honest, i have never been more ashamed to be British. We crash our economy, turn our backs on our neighbours - but at least we get to keep a few people with towels on their heads out of the country.................

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Congrats to the uk!

Sorry, I never understood the reason for the EU besides getting around and using the same money.

Which could be done without all the rest.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

We are members of the Commonwealth, we will survive just fine.

Cameron caused this, he gave us the referendum because he was scared by the likes of UKIP and the only way his party could gain a majority was by promising us the referendum.

People have seen through the undemocratic way the E.U is run and Kow Tow to the Globalists.

We will be just fine, look after and worry about yourselves, you are going to need to from here on in.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

To be honest, i have never been more ashamed to be British.

I'm proud to be British , I think we've taken a brave decision in the face of a failing EU.
Making snap decisions the day after a momentous decision makes no sense , we all knew there will be a shock to the economy but that doesn't mean the economy will crash.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Sorry, I never understood the reason for the EU besides getting around and using the same money.

1. Avoiding more wars between European countries and creating a common army (we still have parents who lived through WW2)
2. Creating a larger economic market (I'm not a fan of that one but it has its merits)
3. Becoming a larger political force on the geopolitical board (kinda failed)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

wow, that was.. like reading harry potter but in the real world.. and all of a sudden someone realized the wooden stick was broken..

So Indians and Africans? Thats the solution? You are gonna pick a national group who doesnt have a unified cultural dogma?

Cobaltic, you voted for War, you voted for nothing but War.. That is the solution you voted for..
Your kids, will be forced into a war YOU voted for..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

The markets are susceptible to change, they hate it. Yet, they have enforced changes on the U.K constantly. They enforced Austerity on us whilst still living their lavished lifestyles.

The North of England have given the City a bloody nose and it is not before time.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

wow, that was.. like reading harry potter but in the real world.. and all of a sudden someone realized the wooden stick was broken..

So Indians and Africans? Thats the solution? You are gonna pick a national group who doesnt have a unified cultural dogma?

Cobaltic, you voted for War, you voted for nothing but War.. That is the solution you voted for..
Your kids, will be forced into a war YOU voted for..

Wow, dramatic, I like it.

Europe is a dead duck, get over it.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Cobaltic, you voted for War, you voted for nothing but War

How ?
With who are we going to war with ?

Perhaps staying in the EU with its antagonistic attitude with Russia would have been voting for a future war.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: SprocketUK

I know people who are from other countries who wanted to spend there lives here. They will be devastated thinking this result will mean they have to leave, because that's the scaremongering tactics that were used on them. There'll be a lot like that and they need a bit of reassurance.

I've already told my mates from the EU that I will be the first to protest, carry out civil disobedience, hell even riot and violently fight immigration officials if there were ever any calls to kick out those folk who are settled here. Not because they are my mates, but because it is morally right. I'd risk jail time to protect my EU mates.

...bit scaremongering Kester, all decent Brits feel the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

All of a Sudden UK vs. Russia seems like a plausible scenario, the war for the North pole could be the script..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The markets are susceptible to change, they hate it. Yet, they have enforced changes on the U.K constantly. They enforced Austerity on us whilst still living their lavished lifestyles.

The North of England have given the City a bloody nose and it is not before time.

The market is the least of the problems.

The country is now torn in two. It will take years and cost millions to find a way out of the EU. Many huge companies will move their seat to other countries. Exports to nieghbours will dive as import taxes will increases. And eventually, after all this, UK might have the opportunity to close its borders a bit more (because in case no one noticed, UK is an island and immigrants get stuck in France already).

But like I said, we have to respect the will of the average British voter. I'm just happy all this will serve as a shock therapy for the remaining EU to be less deaf to the cries of the average people.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Proud to be British? Even though the likelihood is that Scotland will leave the Union, Ireland will push for an Independence vote and Gibraltar is now under more pressure than ever before?

Look, i could be wrong. I am very emotional (angry not weepy!) about this today and may not be at my most rational but honestly, this is the worst decision that we have made as a nation for 50 plus years. We have chosen isolationism over our neighbours. We have chosen sticking 2 fingers up to the world over co-operating with them.

We have listened to an idiot like Farage (didn't he resign briefly last night?) over Europe, when he only attends less than 10% of EU debates (so how the hell does he know anything about the EU?).

The older generations have already damaged our futures (polluted everything, sold everything to the highest bidder and used up most of the resources) and now they have sold their grandkids down the river. The only positive is that pretty soon their pensons will tank and they will have to live the consequences.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join