It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems stage sit-in on House floor to push for gun vote

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doom and Gloom
a reply to: Gryphon66

It was in the article that covered the true purpose of the "Grandstanding"

Paul Ryan is a great example of that, as demonstrated.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Which party for over 100 years has pushed gun control ?

BLUE.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A sit in!!! Oh how trendy are those darn democrats? I tell ya. I can feel the love all the way to my little slice of America.
Instead of singing "we Shall Overcome" they are singing "We Shall Take Your Guns"

I dont even own a gun nor do I want one...But I celebrate my neighbors right to decide for themselves if they want one or not. Too many people running around worried about what other people are doing..... always seeming to forget their own sins and flaws.

People should just go to work, come home, mind their own business and stop trying to force their beliefs on others, religious or otherwise.

If you dont want a gun.... then dont buy one..... but for crying out loud..... close your yap.
If you dont like abortions, then dont have one.... and quit bothering people.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Which party for over 100 years has pushed gun control ?

BLUE.

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assault weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime. Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons.

A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47. The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Source
edit on 23-6-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

In 2004, President George W. Bush said, “I did think we ought to extend the assault weapons ban, and was told the fact that the bill was never going to move, because Republicans and Democrats were against the assault weapon ban, people of both parties. I believe law-abiding citizens ought to be able to own a gun. I believe in background checks at gun shows or anywhere to make sure that guns don’t get in the hands of people that shouldn’t have them.”

Gun Control History

Twenty years ago, I asked Richard Nixon what he thought of gun control. His on-the-record reply: ''Guns are an abomination.'' Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles.

New York Times

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What a crock of snip.

"While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.

At least they admit it.

They were WRONG.

Just as FDR,Johnson,CLinton, and Obama, and soon to be CLinton are WRONG NOW.

Former President George Bush, an opponent of gun-control measures during his term in the White House, did not sign the letter.

edit on 23-6-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So, the actual evidence before us ... Four Republican Presidents (including the most respected one in history) are on the record as being in favor of what you call "gun control."

It seems you were mistaken when you tried to suggest that it's just a Democratic idea.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

That was absolutely HILARIOUS.

Really.

Since when have you cared What republicans think ?

Every other day of the week the anti gunners are going around calling them every pejorative in the book.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

so you want criminals, home-grown terrorists, and lunatics to be able to buy guns legally...ok, at least we know where you stand

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

That was absolutely HILARIOUS.

Really.

Since when have you cared What republicans think ?

Every other day of the week the anti gunners are going around calling them every pejorative in the book.

Four recent Republican Presidents WERE anti-gunners Neo. Your claim that it's a BLUE thing is absurd.

I admire some Republicans, for the record. I think Condoleezza Rice and General Powell are great Americans.

GHW Bush has mellowed out, and I appreciate the work he's done with President Clinton.

GW has an interesting artistic eye.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

so you want criminals, home-grown terrorists, and lunatics to be able to buy guns legally...ok, at least we know where you stand

For those of us that have actually bother to READ existing LAWS.

That is VERBOTEN.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Where are you getting four at ?

Carter was a Democrat.

Reagan was a Democrat turned republican.

And GH NEVER SIGNED anything..

Former President George Bush, an opponent of gun-control measures during his term in the White House, did not sign the letter.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Don't mind me, just taking notes on all the people advocating for open dictatorship because party.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You know what funny? Any time there's a small slice of Liberty with regard to firearms there's no shortage of anti-self defense people calling that liberty a "loophole".

edit on 23 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is what Reagan did.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) was given wide latitude on the enforcement of regulations pertaining to Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders.[citation needed] Allegations of abuse by ATF inspectors soon[when?] arose from the National Rifle Association (NRA) and some FFL licensees.[cit

The BATFE abusing the power 'given' in the 1968 gun control act.

Go FIGURE.

They wouldn't dare!

The report also said that 75 percent of ATF prosecutions "were aimed at ordinary citizens who had neither criminal intent nor knowledge, but were enticed by agents into unknowing technical violations."

And WHO is pushing No fly , No buy ?

The same people that gave the Gun Control Act of 1968.

he Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) addressed the abuses noted in the 1982 Senate Judiciary Subcommittee report. Among the reforms intended to loosen restrictions on gun sales were the reopening of interstate sales of long guns on a limited basis, legalization of ammunition shipments through the U.S. Postal Service (a partial repeal of the Gun Control Act), removal of the requirement for record keeping on sales of non-armor-piercing ammunition, and federal protection of transportation of firearms through states where possession of those firearms would otherwise be illegal.[2

owever, the Act also contained a provision that banned the sale of machine guns manufactured after the date of enactment to civilians, restricting sales of these weapons to the military and law enforcement.

en.wikipedia.org...

For an 'anti gunner'

Reagan sure sucked at it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: projectvxn

Then why the blanket statement? I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out... I just really liked your post until that last line.

Blanket statement?

It is common knowledge that liberals support gun control, even if it means doing away with due process, they've been doing it since After the civil war.

Nothing has changed in all of that time.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

lol

I don't expect it will accomplish much, if anything, but it's a feel-good moment for me.

It doesn't matter if anything is actually accomplished, just as long as you get to feel good about their actions, eh?

lololol

SM2

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: SM2

"The Feds" have jurisdiction over excise taxes on firearms. That's an Article I Section 8 issue.

excise taxes are an entirely different subject, your comment was about regulating intrastate sales of an item, which is outside the jurisdiction of the federal government...look it up, its called the commerce clause.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Isn't this really more about putting people on a "no fly" list without any sort of due process or opportunity to defend themselves ? As long as people are kept in the dark about why and how someone ends up on this list we shouldn't agree to any rights being taken away.

I just don't buy that this nut job who caused such horror in Orlando couldn't be stopped because his "rights" were being protected, people are profiled and have their rights taken away everyday for much less serious reasons. If some random person calls and tells law enforcement that their neighbor might be growing pot , they will call out the swat team and break down your doors, but when someone is reported by at least 3 different people that they are threatening to kill people, including the gun store and NOTHING is done to stop him something is VERY WRONG...this is some sort of "bait and switch"....and I'm heartbroken Bernie is participating in this childish Nonsense !!
edit on 23-6-2016 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Take a break, please.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join