It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Push for diversity now gaining traction in the video game industry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

What about devs who want their protagonist to be a black female?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well, that was a very telling post.

The fact that you think the errors of the past are worth putting in sarcastic little quote marks, rather than being a matter of serious cogitation and meditation, show that you lack two very important things. One is a sense of honour connected to the actions of your ancestors, and another is an understanding that the errors of our ancestors are not simply matters of a bygone era, but that the things which drive migration are still being bloated by foreign interventionist strategy in this day and age.

But that is hardly the point.

The point is that in Britain, before Britain was even a unified nation of nations as it is today, we had visitors and migrants from all over the world come here to live. Vikings, Romans, persons from the Far East and Africa. Many of those who came from the Far East and Africa were wise persons, traveling to expand their knowledge for its own sake, and became advisors to nobles and the like of the time. They were generally well liked, because prejudice and the idea of a lack of personhood for anyone not white and native to the isle was a foreign concept to the proto-Britons living at the time.

It was only much later, by a great many hundreds of years that the slave traders propagandised so successfully, that people previously considered as wise and human as anyone else, were dehumanised to the point where the general population did not complain when those they had considered friends were shipped off as nothing but working animals to be used and abused at the whims of slave owners.

Propagandist twaddle made victims of entire demographics, just as it STILL does today. This is evidenced by the fact that there are those even now who refuse to accept the fact that every major terrorist organisation since the proxy war with Russia, fought in Afghanistan, has been funded, equipped, and supported by British, American, and European financial and political groups, as much as it has been funded by anything else. There are still those who refuse to accept, though it is a fact, not a suspicion, that the CIA sponsored Osama Bin Ladens mob, and continued to support separatist groups in the Middle East, even when it became obvious that their efforts were fueling more terror than they were solving, right up until the present day, where IS recieve material aid from western governments by the backdoor. In the same way the US intelligence infrastructure has its fingers in the illegal drug trade in South America, and in international arms smuggling, not to eliminate it, but to control and profit from it.

This is reality. Replace it with whatever lie you like, but the piper needs paying no matter what lies you tell yourself in the meantime.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
a reply to: Kali74

What about it?

Does a white person have to control a white character in a game to feel immersed? The most immerse games I have played were fantasy ones where my character was not even human...

I don't find the race of the character distracting, but I do find it difficult to immerse myself in a game with a female protagonist. I have created and played black characters (especially in Star Wars games), but something about being female throws off the experience for me.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
What about devs who want their protagonist to be a black female?

Developers can make any games they want, they don't need anyone's permission to do so. If their game sucks and they play the racism/sexism cards as a means to explain why their game was not well received, that is another story.

I have absolutely no problem playing a game with a gay, black female protagionist as long as it's a quality, immersive but more importantly fun game.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I feel the same way about playing male characters... it's immersion. If I'm playing a game I want to get lost in it otherwise I'll just watch a movie. The thing is now people of all genders and colors are realizing how fun video games are and so have become part of the market... so we're going to have games that reflect the market. Most games will still have a white male protagonist but there's going to be some that don't, why is this a problem?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I'm glad you agree. So the point of your OP is what?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If the game play and story is good it doesn't really matter what the protagonist is. However, I'm not required to buy anything, and if it smells of SJWism it doesn't get bought. Was really looking foward to the re-release of the Baldur's Gate series, but then I heard what the new owners did to the story, I'll pass. It only makes sense to spend the money it takes to develop a game if you can possibly make a profit once released. Intentionally ignoring and disparaging those that built gamer culture is not a good way to make money. I was never active in Gamer Gate, but I understand and sympathize with them, and honestly trust their reviews of a game more than the press that covers it.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Well, that was a very telling post.

The fact that you think the errors of the past are worth putting in sarcastic little quote marks, rather than being a matter of serious cogitation and meditation, show that you lack two very important things. One is a sense of honour connected to the actions of your ancestors, and another is an understanding that the errors of our ancestors are not simply matters of a bygone era, but that the things which drive migration are still being bloated by foreign interventionist strategy in this day and age.

But that is hardly the point.

Maybe the post was edited after you began compiling your last post? I cannot see what you are referring to.

The actions of my ancestors (and you don't even know who my ancestors are, you are just assuming because I am white that I have ancestors who did bad things) are theirs alone to own. If somebody that was white owned a slave, it does not mean because I am white that I should feel guilty that another person who happened to be white owned a slave.

How can you be held responsible for something that happened before you were even born? It's merely a guilt-by-association mentality that seems to affect predominantly white people.

I will take full responsibility for my own direct actions, but not those of others, unless they are dependant on me to survive.

The point is that in Britain, before Britain was even a unified nation of nations as it is today, we had visitors and migrants from all over the world come here to live. Vikings, Romans, persons from the Far East and Africa. Many of those who came from the Far East and Africa were wise persons, traveling to expand their knowledge for its own sake, and became advisors to nobles and the like of the time. They were generally well liked, because prejudice and the idea of a lack of personhood for anyone not white and native to the isle was a foreign concept to the proto-Britons living at the time.

It was only much later, by a great many hundreds of years that the slave traders propagandised so successfully, that people previously considered as wise and human as anyone else, were dehumanised to the point where the general population did not complain when those they had considered friends were shipped off as nothing but working animals to be used and abused at the whims of slave owners.

History is full of injustices. For some reason, we are encouraged to only focus on the examples where white/Europeans were the perpetrators. Why is this the case?

Propagandist twaddle made victims of entire demographics, just as it STILL does today. This is evidenced by the fact that there are those even now who refuse to accept the fact that every major terrorist organisation since the proxy war with Russia, fought in Afghanistan, has been funded, equipped, and supported by British, American, and European financial and political groups, as much as it has been funded by anything else. There are still those who refuse to accept, though it is a fact, not a suspicion, that the CIA sponsored Osama Bin Ladens mob, and continued to support separatist groups in the Middle East, even when it became obvious that their efforts were fueling more terror than they were solving, right up until the present day, where IS recieve material aid from western governments by the backdoor. In the same way the US intelligence infrastructure has its fingers in the illegal drug trade in South America, and in international arms smuggling, not to eliminate it, but to control and profit from it.

I don't refute anything in this paragraph, but I do question its relevance to the thread at hand.

This is reality. Replace it with whatever lie you like, but the piper needs paying no matter what lies you tell yourself in the meantime.

Can you provide evidence that I am personally responsible for doing all the above? Otherwise, you are simply indulging in the guilt-by-association fallacy.

I live in Australia. Am I personally responsible for joining the coalition of the willing for the Iraq war?

Is every citizen of Somalia responsible for the deplorable actions done by Warlords towards people in surrounding countries?

Should every German today feel personal shame about the events that took place during World War 2?

Should I feel hate for the father of the man who stole my car?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I'm glad you agree. So the point of your OP is what?

The main point of the opening post was to demonstrate that the active effort to diversify (a euphemism for make less white) predominately white populations in the fields of entertainment, academia, the workforce and politics has become so widespread and far-reaching that even the video games industry has been targeted.

And it all stems from one fallacious argument: white people did bad things in the past, therefore white people living today should suffer the consequences.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

After you are done laughing your head off at me for this suggestion, can you not now see how hypocritical the constant push for diversity in predominately white countries/industries happens to be, when diversity is not expected or forced on any other group?

Contrary to popular belief, they already do that. It's called a localized version.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

And it all stems from one fallacious argument: white people did bad things in the past, therefore white people living today should suffer the consequences.

Or it stems from the fact that a more diverse market is emerging and people said hey why isn't there such and such... and dollar signs flashed in eyes.
edit on 6/21/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Guilt?

Nothing to do with it.

This is nothing to do with guilt. This is about being prepared to love and relate to your fellow human beings, no matter who they are, where they are from, what they look like, what gender they may be. This is about embracing people.

Your ancestors likely failed in that at some point. You can either learn from their error, or repeat it. We all get the same choices in that regard.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
... right off.

Who buys computer games written by girls?

What can girls add to computer game programming?

When has being a girl ever made a difference to the compiler?

Where are these oppressive people who don't let girls write functions?

Why are you getting in my face with your sex if you don't actually code yourself?

Mike Grouchy
edit on 21-6-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

If this is a picture of your hero or your victim I have some really bad news for you. Her games are not fun. She sleeps with people to get them to write good reviews of her games (uses her sex to make people lie). And she is leader of a lynch mob, that targets all men, has no due process, and crushes real creativity with shame talking and group thinking.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Or it stems from the fact that a more diverse market is emerging and people said hey why isn't there such and such... and dollar signs flashed in eyes.

See my signature.

The vast majority of black people won't refrain from playing a game because the character is white any more than the vast majority of white people won't refrain from playing a game because the character is black.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This is one of the gods of computer programing with his wife Brenda.

He helped write Quake. At a lan party he met this girl who whupped his butt in death match. In quake. The very game John Romero helped write.

He has been infatuated with her ever since.

This picture is after a twenty year relationship.

You gamergate girls are not following the right people, and will remain alone, and uninteresting. Bitter old failures who nit pick, criticize, and engage in public shame thinking. And will certainly never be any good at FPS. Everything Brenda isn't.

To prove me wrong write a goddamn game, or win a tournament.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 21-6-2016 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
This is nothing to do with guilt. This is about being prepared to love and relate to your fellow human beings, no matter who they are, where they are from, what they look like, what gender they may be. This is about embracing people.

If only the world were actually filled predominately with people of that mindset...the reality however is far different.

Your ancestors likely failed in that at some point. You can either learn from their error, or repeat it. We all get the same choices in that regard.

And the ancestors of my black neighbour probably did some bad things. The ancestors of my Jewish doctor probably did some bad things. The ancestors of my Indian dentist probably did some bad things too.

The point is that everybody has some distant ancestor that did things that are considered by today's standards to be abhorrent. People should not be judged by the actions of their ancestors but by their own actions.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
DArk ghost.

Japanese anime is not aimed at american audiences(rare exceptions of course) but the majority do not. Also its easier to color caucasian looking characters(cheaper too) I f you look there will be anime/manga that are more diverse. Take for example Bob Makihara from the manga/anime Tenjou Tenge,Or Afro samurai(yes i lmao first time i saw that) Then scarlet jacob from No more heroes comes to mind. And then theres Bleach. who has at least 3 black characters.

POint is theres diversity but apparently not enough for the haters.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Do you believe that because the media tells you there is a dirth of love, that it must be true? Do you think that because your neighbours ancestors were no better or worse than yours, that you should hold off loving your fellow human, just in case?

Do you believe that it would be foolish to show compassion to your fellow human beings, just because it may bite you on the rump at some point?

I say until we learn to love one another, without considering irrelevances like demography before hand, that our species will be on the skids, on the way to the cosmic toilet pan. I say that just because not all your fellow human beings are capable of it, does not mean that you should not make a start yourself, and begin to love people freely, evenly, without prejudice.

I am determined to love my fellow human beings, wherever it is possible to do so, whenever, and how ever it is necessary. We can only be responsible for our own actions, that is true. So love your fellow human beings in thought, word and deed! Recognise yourself in those you are slightly different from! See yourself as part of the species, love it enough to care for it and nurture it in every waking breath! Start with yourself, and work outward! Show them how it's done!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Anime that has been designed for an international release from the beginning is far less Japanese. In the anime that are mainly kept in Japan, they have a homogeneous culture so it's not an issue.

The people studios are trying to sell these games to aren't all white males, diversifying can get them more sales as the product becomes more appealing to others.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join