It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Push for diversity now gaining traction in the video game industry

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Was that really what started the whole gamergate thing?
Who knew butt hurt could get so big? Jeez

Nyet.

That was just when the media latched onto (and tagged) a movement that had been ongoing for a very long time.

There is a reason that both camps were firmly established, and well supported, right from the on set of the media bringing it to light.

Ok, can you point me to somewhere I can read what it's really about (hopefully low on hyperbole).

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
I would start with looking into the long standing feud between gamers, game reviewers, and game producers (start with reviewers vs gamers, as the producers didn't get involved until after that). It is a problem that extends all the way back to the first electronic games, sadly.

This specific instance just brought all the ugly right to the surface, and to social media.

Long story short, each camp thinks that they should be the authority on the gaming industry. This instance, one person tried to use that existing hate to go after an ex, which exploded quite spectacularly all over the internet. The media focused on the handful of ugly bits among the hundreds of legitimate issues each camp has with one another.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Wasn't the lead on Assassin's Creed female?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Ok, cool. So this hasn't always been a boy v girl thing then?

I never heard of much between gamers and reviewers and I was playing games since I had a BBC B and C64.
I once had a late night tour of the Games Machine's offices in Ludlow after giving two of the guys a lift back from the Microprose office in Tetbury.

Nice lads but it was a very geeky lad's environment, their place.
Microprose had what looked a 50 50 mix if I recall.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Read the wiki page on Gamergate. It's crazy but yes that's part of what started Gamergate.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

In one of the Vita games, and as part of a brother-sister duo in the London based game...yes. In ALL the other games as far as I know, no.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Yeah... 4chan.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Thanks, I shall read it while I'm eating some of the cheesecake my daughter made at school today.
Might need to be an extra big piece if it's as convoluted as I imagine it might be.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I am a terrible writer. My current project is an updated travel-guide to the universe, for millennials, called "A Couch-Surfers Guide to Exo-Terrestrial Restrooms and Other Reasonable Accommodations." Look for it on Amazon, or ask for it by name at your favorite bookseller, after Thanksgiving.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Ok, cool. So this hasn't always been a boy v girl thing then?

There has always been a male/female component to it. It was just never nearly as heated as what this exchange turned it into.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Yeah... 4chan.

Nope...MSM.

I can find more differences in opinion, on this topic, at 4chan, than I would ever find in the main stream media.

Saying 4chan to gamergate is about the same as calling all Americans mass murderers due to Orlando. The media highlighted few do not represent the vast majority of the remainder.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You should try screenwriting. No one cares what sex / race / gender you are, and pen-names are encouraged.

I write screenplays under the name Forse Jaxson, because nobody can tell who or what I am based on my name. You could use "Rinse Parable" to the same effect.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

a reply to: odzeandennz

Really? What game was that?
See I've never heard people refusing to play as characters other than themselves, like Mortal Combat etc.

Maybe this is all a new thing.
yea...

rust

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Right...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Right...

You could have just said that you have never been on it, and know nothing about it.

You can find a myriad of opinions about a singular topic on ATS, yet you believe that a much larger forum has consensus?

Ridiculous.

Almost all of 4chan's bad rep comes from 2 of their smaller sub forums. Nobody ever really mentions the odd 60 other sub forums that operate relatively smoothly and sanely.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Players running with things like gamergate are why designers/developers mostly live in an ivory tower and try to avoid the people playing their games (and interact with them directly very little). This is actually how I got my start in making games, I managed to get through the barrier with some well reasoned arguments and be someone developers wanted to talk to.

For the most part the things gamers care about and the things the people making those games care about are very different. I imagine this is true in every industry dealing with fantasy but what people ask for and say they want often times isn't what they actually want.

Take this racial diversity for example, the complaint is that people want to customize their character into a reflection of who they would like to play as, but most games are either first/third person and you see the characters face very little outside of cut scenes. You also usually see them in clothing or a uniform rather than something expressive (unless you purchase outfits as microtransactions). I think that what people actually want isn't a face that they see themselves in, but rather a world that fits ethnically with what they would like to see.

If I were on one of these games, I would tailor the predominant ethnicity and gender of multiple characters in the world to match what the player picks. If you play as a black woman, you would for example see more characters that look like black women, or a white man would see more white men. Within reason this isn't that hard to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I thought Jade Raymond was the mind behind the first game and subsequently EP on every other game in the series until she left Ubisoft.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Kali, ok, I read it, I still am not much wiser though. It all seems a monumental mess of idiots not wanting others to have opinions.

Some of the stuff cited in wicki is really beyond the pale.

Odz, is the game any good?
As an rpg, the idea of having to make your character work, despite not being able to choose it's appearance seems a good one.

I am more of an fps nut though if I'm honest, but anything that adds a level of challenge has to be pretty good, right?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

My takeaway from the whole thing which is not really dying down at all and spilling into the rest of the internet is that women can expect to be doxxed and threatened with rape and murder if they share their opinions about games or try to break into the industry on some level.

It's okay of course, for men... it's not telling developers how to make their games if you criticize diversity... not at all. /s

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

AH! The LEAD! I see now!

My apologies, I thought we were talking about the lead CHARACTER for a moment there. Sorry, carry on. Don't mind the furry muppet!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join