It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Push for diversity now gaining traction in the video game industry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

Those that demand more or tailor made scenarios etc certainly aren't exclusive to non-white straight males and furthermore are completely over shadowed by meltdowns.

That's not true, not anymore. If it was, there would be no such thing as a gamergate scandal to begin with because the SJW elements would have never gained any traction with it.

Be at least a tiny bit intellectually honest. You can't have a movement advocating something that has serious traction and manages to marginalize the opposition as a bunch of misogynistic haters if it was completely overshadowed by the meltdown. For such a thing to have been true, no one would have taken notice of the SJW push in the first place.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I have sent copius emails to the design teams for Call of Duty, I see little reason why I should not be able to play as a Cambodian, Gay transgender that identifies as a furry in a wheelchair with a fire extinguisher located on all levels of the game at the correct EU height legislation to make sure I have full control of my health and safety whilst in the game...

RA

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

If diversity insists that differences be embraced, then why is it only predominately white populations/industries that are granted this blessing? Shouldn't diversity be embraced by all countries, whether they are predominately black, arab or asian? Why does it only seem to be white countries/industries that lack diversity?

Third, diversity is good for the human race on a genetic, political, and social level. The societies which oppose it most strongly are either at constant war, limiting their citizens survival rates, or simply dying out through lack of social and financial mobility. Those nations which have most strongly embraced diversity, are not in such an awful position. The difference between North Korea and the US, should be aparant to anyone with any world view worth a damn. North Korea is a country of limitations, rigid social models, and hyper traditionalism. There is no room for error, invention, progress or advancement, because there is no room for diversity there. Any diversity. Diversity of thought, of leadership, diversity of ideas and beliefs.

Do you really believe that a lack of diversity alone accounts for the state of those societies affairs? If you found my argument that you referenced secondly in your reply to be faulty, then I'm afraid your current argument is just as problematic. Surely there are other more significant factors for these other societies to be in the dire straits they are in?

edit on 21/6/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
You are complaining that Japanese media is too Japanese? So Japanese media should be what? More American? Just watch American media.

No, I am not.

Maybe try rereading the opening post without giving into your preconceived notions about what you think I am "complaining" about.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I read your article instead. It's a good article, but I don't agree that we should be forcing other countries to accept our diversity standards. That's all. If diversity is the future, then our video games can be diverse and show Japan that sells better.
edit on 21-6-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I read your article instead. It's a good article, but I don't agree that we should be forcing other countries to accept our diversity standards. That's all. If diversity is the future, then our video games can be diverse and show Japan that sells better.

If all games go diverse, do we know that diverse games sell better or is it simply that there is no choice left?

Personally, I prefer games that give me the option to personalize my protagonist so it's "mine" rather than being forced to try to empathize with a pre-made one. But I'm not whining that most games aren't made that way.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I dont care as long as there are no four block Blue straight pieces, I can not tolerate blues...

"Only good blue is a dead blue..."
--- Sarge S Sargent, Red vs Blue.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
All games will never go diverse. There will always be a niche of gamers looking for non-diverse games. Keep in mind that back in the early 1900's a lot of music was racist, but then that went away. Well it's not like you can't buy racist music today. It's just really obscure, but it exists.

Personally, I prefer games that give me the option to personalize my protagonist so it's "mine" rather than being forced to try to empathize with a pre-made one. But I'm not whining that most games aren't made that way.

I like personalization too.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I didn't use the word you...

Your continual use of the word "snowflake" throughout many threads is humorous

Good. It's meant to be funny because of the type of people (fragile and needing things to be just so) who turned into a pejorative in the first place.

I don't condone anyone that does that. But nice try at attempting to categorise me as one of them.

Did I? Regardless of whether you are or not, diversity seems to bother or scare you enough to bitch about. Why is that? What's so scary? Did you note in that article that 41% of the gaming market is now female? Should the industry lose that market by not representing that 41%? The market is also becoming more colorful and spreading beyond the west and Asia. Should that be ignored too?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Why shouldn't there be Animation/game characters in Moderation?

We have lived in a World with all different colours for Centuries... just having all White characters in Games and Animation is unrealistic. Especially now. Back in the 80's & 90's every character was White in those Games and Animation. Trust me, it's still tough for people of colour to break through in TV/Film/Games/Animation.
edit on CDTTue, 21 Jun 2016 07:56:36 -05000000003007x136x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Bull, this thing with BioWare started before Gamergate. Remember BioWare's plan with companion characters in SWTOR? They had to take it out and anyone that had suggestions on how to implement it in a new way was pounced on.

For such a thing to have been true, no one would have taken notice of the SJW push in the first place.

That's demonstrably untrue... just look at history, look at now.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
What amazes me is that certain game designers think they can focus on diversity before story or game play. I can handle anything well written that plays well. I don't have time to game too much anymore, but I have specifically avoided buying some games because of SJW themes in them. Won't be buying them for my kids either.

As far as diversity goes, I feel a proper comparison is to acetamenophine. At a certain dosage it is often helpful in alleviating pain and inflammation; however, if you take too much too fast it can lead to liver damage and death. Diversity and immigration are similar. A society that accepts and celebrates it's minority populations is somewhat enhanced and some of the less desirable aspects of society are mitigated. However, as diversity and immigrants increase, the organs of society like social safety nets, healthcare services, education systems, and others are damaged affecting the whole society. Just as acetomenaphine will kill you if you take too much, diversity and immigration not kept to therapeutic level will kill a society as the differences become irreconsilable and the society fragments.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
White western culture under attack, this is not happening anywhere else on the globe and is not put up with in any other societies.

We are too nice time.to toughen up.

If ethnic minorities can not compete then they need to work harder and be smarter no more affirmative action, it's been proven not to work because you can only lead a horse to water.

Merit based opportunities only.
edit on 6/21/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I think you have entirely failed to grasp the reality here.

It is not that diversity is not recommended to other nations and cultures. As a concept, it has been recommended voiciferously by huge numbers of people, from philosophers to world leaders, from freedom loving rebels to political prisoners, to regimes and cultures all over the world.

It just so happens, that the cultures and nations who have taken it up, and benefited most from it over the years, have been predominantly western cultures and nations. Perhaps we are simply more prepared for it?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I didn't use the word you...

Nice attempted deflection. I asked if you were implying that I was a gamergater. I never claimed you called me one directly.

Good. It's meant to be funny because of the type of people (fragile and needing things to be just so) who turned into a pejorative in the first place.

Right.

Did I? Regardless of whether you are or not, diversity seems to bother or scare you enough to bitch about. Why is that? What's so scary? Did you note in that article that 41% of the gaming market is now female? Should the industry lose that market by not representing that 41%? The market is also becoming more colorful and spreading beyond the west and Asia. Should that be ignored too?

"Bitch about" tends to involve complaining about something for the sake of complaining or to vent, void of any reasonable argument. Since I included an argument in the opening post, I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that I was bitching.

Diversity does not "scare" me in the slightest. Natural diversity is welcome. Artificial diversity on the other hand, or denying that diversity can exist already among white populations already, is another story.

I can follow the logic that people enjoy identifying with game characters that they can relate to. I just don't see the logic in using race/gender/sexual orientation alone as a means to identify with one's individuality.

Are black people barred from playing white characters? Are Chinese people barred from playing Indian characters? Are humans barred from playing orcs? Are scientists barred from playing priests? No, they are not.

That people feel the need for their race/gender/sexual orientation to be validated in an artificial world so that they can relate to themselves is sad. I played and enjoyed GTA San Andreas. The protagonist was black. I don't care because despite its faults, it was overall a fun and enjoyable game.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I am a gamer and I buy what interests me. If things get too weird I just won't but their crap. Vote with your dollars and the products you want will follow.

The best games are ones where you can create a 'main character' and it can be whatever you want...male, female, black, white, asian...whatever. That way you can just play what you identify with rather than be given a protagonist you can't identify with...problem solved.

Also, if the story sucks it doesn't matter who wrote the game...it won't sell.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I think you have entirely failed to grasp the reality here.

You are entitled to your opinion.

It is not that diversity is not recommended to other nations and cultures. As a concept, it has been recommended voiciferously by huge numbers of people, from philosophers to world leaders, from freedom loving rebels to political prisoners, to regimes and cultures all over the world.

Just because something has been promoted by many people over a number of years does not make it the correct course of action.

Do you truly believe that the push for diversity in the West was merely a result of diversity advocates promoting the concept and the West saying "hey fantastic idea, let's embrace it!". The reality is more sinister than that...

It just so happens, that the cultures and nations who have taken it up, and benefited most from it over the years, have been predominantly western cultures and nations. Perhaps we are simply more prepared for it?

Perhaps we are deceived into believing something that is not actually good for us is good due to advocates playing on our weaknesses, exploiting our good nature and of course referring to our sinful past?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

What about immersion?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

What about it?

Does a white person have to control a white character in a game to feel immersed? The most immerse games I have played were fantasy ones where my character was not even human...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I agree completely.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join