It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL Attorney Says Growing Veg Not A Fundamental Right {front yard}

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Natural Blaze
13 June 2016

By Brandon Turbeville

FULL TITLE:
FL Attorney Says Growing Vegetables Not A Fundamental Right [front yard]
www.naturalblaze.com...

. . .
The couple is now suing on grounds that the ban on front yard gardens violates the Florida Constitution by imposing improper limits on private property rights as well as violating the equal protection clause. The couple is being represented by lawyers with Institute for Justice, a Libertarian non-profit organization that focuses on free speech and property rights among other issues.
. . .
First, does Mr. Sarafan understand what a fundamental right actually is?
Does he understand what the Constitution is?
Does he know what a vegetable is?
Does he know anything?
. . .
Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. Aesthetics and uniformity are legitimate government purposes? What a beautiful world. Nothing sounds better than a world in which everything looks the same and is aesthetically pleasing to the government. It’s also a revolutionary approach of which Sarafan should inform the government. After all their legal battles and semantics to steal property from citizens in the past, they could have just used that “aesthetics and uniformity” clause. It’s so easy, really. It might not exist in the Constitution but so what? Sarafan and Miami Shores says it does, so we can just go with that
. . .

Welllllllllllll . . . I'm reminded of the old movie bit about
"ticky tack little boxes all in a row . . . "
I no longer think that cookie cutter green front lawns are anything remotely close to a significant priority. All the more so with looming water shortages; they don't usually serve much of a purpose besides looks and one-upsmanship vis a vis the neighbors. Red volcanic gravel on top of weed barriers can be much more environmentally wise. And that cuts down significantly on mowing and all the hazards and frustrations--as well as dangers--of that.
And, it rankles me to think that bureaucrats are getting swelled heads and more notches on their "power-mongering" belts over such nonsense.
Now, I might quibble if it were a super chaotic weed patch with a broken down jalopy or two in the front yard. That does tend to influence property values a lot.
But a well kept front yard garden? Let it grow, let it grow, LET IT GROW! imho.

edit on 19/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: title

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Governments pry into bathrooms, bedrooms, wallets, now private property.

These elected idiots don't have a clue!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
but, many vegetables have lovely flowers, and most vegetables have complimentary plants that we usually put into flower beds. so, what the heck? what's wrong with having a few squash plants mixed in among the marigolds?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Over all, it makes you LESS dependent on them..s

And they can't have that.

Can't control someone who is not dependent, and is self-sustainable.

Remember, we must rely upon government for all things..

/sarc-off

Never understood the purpose of having a grassy front yard or back yard, as a requirement.

It's a waste of resources and time.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Fixing this type of situation requires shaming the local power admins with media both social media and local mainstream media in concert. Then change back to human normal can often take place. Not Always of course but I have seen this brand of stupid defeated in the recent past by application of overwhelming reasoning against those who can not see past the rear view mirror of history.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
that's the last straw.....all the big government overstepping could be brought down now....some little detail, a latent innuendo and BAHHAMM....the people rise up to service of truth.....
..ok, I'm leading the way down here in Texas....I'm talking the Holy Spirit rising up......now would be good timing, I promise....judging from what the Tokyo Open with the Market is doing right now.....global scale volatility, I tell ya

I was just posting on the finance blog and forum I checked to see if Gold was tanking......or going off like a rocket. Naw, it's steady...

i'm growing bell peppers this year....Florida should, too!
edit on 19-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 19-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ratfintc

Not Always of course but I have seen this brand of stupid defeated in the recent past by application of overwhelming reasoning against those who can not see past the rear view mirror of history.
Yup. That what the court system is for.

The Village of Miami Shores filed a motion to dismiss in January, 2014, stating, "Any resident of the Village may have a vegetable garden on their residential property, but it simply must be located in their back yard."

Yesterday, Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida's Judge Spencer Eig denied Miami Shores' motion to dismiss Ricketts and Carroll's challenge to the village's ban on front-yard vegetable gardens, which means the lawsuit will move forward to a final judgment
www.miaminewtimes.com...

Not sure about the $1 million in damages they're going for. That's a lot of carrots.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Isn't it strange how front yards are somehow sacrosanct in some jurisdictions. It's like if you are not keeping 2 inch high or less uniform green grass there you are hurting property values. Lots of those houses that line up on the wrong side of the daily travel of the Sun should be given a break. Because they have a property that is lined up where the evening Sun would burn a garden to death in the back or the trees they have shade too much they must water the heck out of short grass. People are stupid it seems. For the most part anyway.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a discrepancy....but it's metro men thinking.....kinda too worldly, to us down here in Texas.....we have voluntary H O A here.......keep 'em from goin land grab on us.....for back dues.....or a lawn with too much dulles grass or chickweed......he ...he reply to: ratfintc

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ratfintc

Fixing this type of situation requires shaming the local power admins with media both social media and local mainstream media in concert. Then change back to human normal can often take place. Not Always of course but I have seen this brand of stupid defeated in the recent past by application of overwhelming reasoning against those who can not see past the rear view mirror of history.

THANKS for all y'all's great responses.

I certainly agree that a citizen full court press against the ignorant tyrannical authorities is in order. But that can take hard work and some significant risk. I do think it's worth doing.

I'm glad I still live in the county. Don't think I'd do well in a ticky tacky little box on a tiny lot. Though my acre of weeds is its own challenge. Am making progress! Long live wood chip mulch!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Amen to wood chip mulch growing. Wood chips, biochar, and river rock dust, with fish pond water and my little Eden is freaky productive in a tiny space. Neighbors with poor little patches think I am a witch or something. No sir just know about the source of life is all.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Tyranny comes in baby steps

living ground cover

Please # off

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have never understood the ban on growing food any place that has soil for it.

I do understand property value, but if you're not planting a whole front yard of corn stalks - - - what's the problem?

I remember when Ed Begley fought City Hall because a neighbor complained about his front yard vegetable garden. Ed won. (I think).

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ratfintc

Amen to wood chip mulch growing. Wood chips, biochar, and river rock dust, with fish pond water and my little Eden is freaky productive in a tiny space. Neighbors with poor little patches think I am a witch or something. No sir just know about the source of life is all.

CONGRATS.

Sounds wonderful. Any pics?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The stats seem to indicate that the town is mid-middle class.

Since the statute is only a few years old, my guess would be that the Council majority are relative newcomers looking to boost property values. I wonder if there were public meetings about it before the fact.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

AGREED.

Tyrants need to keep silent by keeping their heads up their rears. They'd likely pass a lot less troublesome laws in that posture, too.

Sigh.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The stats seem to indicate that the town is mid-middle class.

Since the statute is only a few years old, my guess would be that the Council majority are relative newcomers looking to boost property values. I wonder if there were public meetings about it before the fact.

Thanks.

I'm too logical/practical for the "green lawn" property value fights.

Born and Bred in Los Angeles Beach area. It happens here.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

It's part of Agenda 21 whereby you cannot breathe air without the approval of some control freak technocrat making you get a permit first at the right price.

I would like this moron to knock on my front door and personally tell me i cannot grow vegetables but of course that would never happen as he will just have some zoning law code enforcer do it......spineless!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Sorry but no pictures. This site is very restrictive. I will likely not remain here long due to the high level of constrained speech and constant turmoil and balkanization I am witnessing here. I know there are nice folks here but this community seems wounded and insecure and thus restrictive of speech out of fear of disorder I expect. If I share pictures they may be traced to other sites where I may have shared them. The level of hostility I see on this site from your members makes me want to withhold any information that might identify me on other sites out of concern I might come under attack for some political or idealogical thinking I might communicate here that causes myself or those I care for to be attacked by those that use this forum to suppress speech they do not agree with.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ratfintc

I very MUCH understand.

NO sweat.

Thanks anyway.

God's best to you and those you love.

I don't go on many sites--at least not very publicly. And, I tend to be absurdly loyal beyond all reason. LOL.

Thanks for your comments and good inputs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join