It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Now Outnumber Christians in England and Wales.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

New research into the religious beliefs of people in the U.K. has found that for the first time ever, those without a religion outnumber Christians, at least when it comes to the countries of England and Wales.

"The striking thing is the clear sense of the growth of 'no religion' as a proportion of the population," said Stephen Bullivant, senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary's Catholic University in Twickenham.

"The main driver is people who were brought up with some religion now saying they have no religion. What we're seeing is an acceleration in the numbers of people not only not practising their faith on a regular basis, but not even ticking the box. The reason for that is the big question in the sociology of religion," added Bullivant, who analyzed data collected through British Social Attitudes surveys over three decades.

The Guardian pointed out that while the statement does not hold true for the entirety of the U.K. when Scotland and Northern Ireland are added in, when looking at England and Wales specifically, as many as 48.5 percent of the population stated they have no religion back in 2014. Those who belonged to Christian denominations, on the other hand, made up only 43.8 percent of the share.

LINK

Separating the goats from the sheep seems to be natural. So whats next?

What do you do with the remaining Christians who refuse to tow the line?

What do you suggest should be done with those Christians?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Your title is misleading (you know that). The extext talks about "no religion" - not "atheists." (ETA: Okay, you copied and pasted the article's title. So - the article's title is misleading. Right off the bat. Figures. It's "The Christian Post" - really unbiased source there!)

Lots of people are smartly agnostic, or believe in a Supreme whatever - they just don't care for Christianity (or Christians) anymore.

So - might want to clarify while you have the time.
Don't panic. People don't have to "belong to a church" to be spiritual, you see. And they certainly don't have to be "spiritual" to be moral.

What do you think - that someone is "planning" to 'take out' Christians? If they'd just shut up and mind their own business, no one would bother them. Easy peasy. But they don't shut up. They keep preaching and being all up in everybody's face - it's very unbecoming, not at all attractive, and quite annoying for those of us who do our own thinking. You worried you aren't popular anymore? Then change yourself - start with yourself.

Oh - and, it's "toe the line" - not "tow". Just go to your church, leave everyone else alone, and you'll be fine.

We know where to find you if we want to talk to Christians! Stop dogging everyone with your tired superstitions and nagging. Please. Take the hint.
edit on 5/28/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Future headline. Muslims now outnumber Christians in UK. .

Christianity has been declining on these shores for decades now..

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Further into the future headline:

Finally, the Abrahamic Religions Have All Died and the world is at peace at last

(yay!)

edit on 5/28/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

What do you suggest should be done with those Christians?

I wouldn't be too concerned. We're not really interested in doing to Christianity what it has done to the rest of the world for 2000 years. Most of us at least, think better of our fellow human beings, than Christianity does of us.
edit on 5/28/2016 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Yes. People are waking up everywhere. They are realising how absurd the religious books are and that religious people are no better off than anyone else. Mostly i thank nut job literalists like yourself for holding the lantern so high for everyone to see. I've noticed that some people make two or three threads a day to share their craziest beliefs about their religions. It has really helped bring a lot of attention to you and show everyone else just how absurd religious talk can be. I used to be one of only a few people on this site who could face down these zealots, but now i rarely even post on their threads because many people have already posted what i wanted to say. I guess it really is worth debating crazy ideas on the internet. It's helping millions of people to ask the right questions about religious texts and what the merits and benefits of being religious are. Other than being accepted by others who share a similar ideology, there are no benefits.

Thanks for bringing this up deathcult.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I guess it really is worth debating crazy ideas on the internet. It's helping millions of people to ask the right questions about religious texts and what the merits and benefits of being religious are.

Would be ever so gratifying (and vindicating) if people would own up to it without whining, too.

Maybe some day some of them will come back and thank us....Just tell us: "You did it! You convinced me, and now I realize how silly and insidious those outdated desert-dwelling camel herders' ideas were. Thank you. I will never teach my children that nonsense."

That would be a great day indeed for the world.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I guess it really is worth debating crazy ideas on the internet. It's helping millions of people to ask the right questions about religious texts and what the merits and benefits of being religious are.

Would be ever so gratifying (and vindicating) if people would own up to it without whining, too.

Maybe some day some of them will come back and thank us....Just tell us: "You did it! You convinced me, and now I realize how silly and insidious those outdated desert-dwelling camel herders' ideas were. Thank you. I will never teach my children that nonsense."

That would be a great day indeed for the world.

I can do that right now. I was a Christian for decades. Thanks to everyone who helped me see what I was involved in. But honestly, the bible itself was the most convincing, once I saw it for what it really is, without the rose colored glasses.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Leave it to a Christian propaganda machine to not even know what an atheist is, but talk about it as if they do. Look at the "Related Articles" on the source page:

Some "Young Earther" (creationist) calls the upcoming Reason Rally in Washington DC an "atheist party", bitterly suggesting that atheists "worship man", because they don't worship his sky genie - and they call atheism a religion. Ignorance about atheism abounds in the religious world, which is interesting, since the term actually came from religious people, to denote someone who didn't believe in their God.

And when so many Christians are as unwelcoming, judgmental, hateful and hypocritical as they are today, is it any wonder people are turning away from religion in droves, in favor of figuring it out for themselves? I don't think so.

I don't know about 'separating the goats from the sheep', but if Christians want people to join their party, they're going to have to start acting like real Christians (love, acceptance, understanding) instead of the ugly organization they've become in this modern world. And it's probably too late for that.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

LOL!! I'm so glad you're here.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You said it, sister!

Some of them just won't ever get it, though (I guess). Sad and scary. Mostly "scary" though.

@OP: What the hell is a 'demonologist', and are you actually claiming some sort of scientific understanding and expertise about 'demons'?

I don't mean to be flippant all the time, but sometimes I do: I used to read all about Faeries - the Fay, you know - they live all over England and Wales....they have underground cities, and are mostly invisible to the human eye. If you get caught in one of their 'parties' you go missing for days - even years! - but when you come back, no one has realized you were gone.

Truth. Does that make me a "Faeriologist"? No. It means I enjoyed reading about ancient lore around faeries. Sadly, I figured out they probably aren't real. And if they are, I'm not able to see them. Heartbreaking, but as an adult I accept it.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Your title is misleading (you know that). The extext talks about "no religion" - not "atheists." (ETA: Okay, you copied and pasted the article's title. So - the article's title is misleading. Right off the bat. Figures. It's "The Christian Post" - really unbiased source there!)

Yep. Big difference between atheists and people that don't go to church. They're so persecuted the churchians are. There are only a few percent of people that religiously attend church. But in their mind everyone that doesn't is an atheist.

We're all burning in their hell.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You are def a trooper when it comes to deflating overstuffed egos. I have enjoyed your posts for years.

I imagine these ATS discussions have touched a lot of people over time. So many new people come to look into the rabbit hole, only to see it has no depth at all. If i have learned anything here, it is that people will make up any kind of fantasy just to have something to talk about. There are still only a handful of rational people on here who take the time to point out inconsistancies and contradictions with people's views of reality. And that this is one of the few safe places to openly and anonomously point out the institutionalised lies that pervade the majority of the world's minds.

For that, i thank the creators, admin, and our wonderful assortment of mods and contributors here for their service and part in pulling down the facade. It has def made the world ( at least in england and wales) a more rational place.
edit on 28-5-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You're all about to be outnumbered by Muslims, so I wouldn't celebrate.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

And when so many Christians are as unwelcoming, judgmental, hateful and hypocritical as they are today, is it any wonder people are turning away from religion in droves, in favor of figuring it out for themselves? I don't think so.

I don't know about 'separating the goats from the sheep', but if Christians want people to join their party, they're going to have to start acting like real Christians (love, acceptance, understanding) instead of the ugly organization they've become in this modern world. And it's probably too late for that.

Your constant outrage towards Christians is so curious, because you'll never be seen doing the same towards Muslims. In fact you'll be found defending them! I've not seen Christians come anywhere near the horror Islam perpetrates on a daily basis, so your outrage seems based more on your prejudices than anything. I'm saying this as an agnostic who doesn't believe in any religion.
edit on 28-5-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I am rarely affected by muslims, i have never been accosted by a muslim, i rarely see threads that try to convert me to islam.

I try to use the word "religious" instead of any particular religious denomination, but i assure you that i, and most other atheists find islam just as rediculous as any other religion. I really don't even distinguish any abrahamic cult from another. They are the same to me. When i rail on christianity, you can safely assume that i am including islam and judaism, mormonism, scientology, hinduism, and just about any ism that has a deity involved.
edit on 28-5-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

More atheists and a growing number of Muslims every year.

Good trade off

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

They should be persecuted!

We should start with a War on Christmas, wishing everyone a 'Happy Holiday'.

This should be followed up with converting unused churches into retail shopping with bathrooms where anyone can make peepee no matter what gender they are.

We then allow Syrians to move into the house next to them. With their evil Korans.

We then force them to all become bakers solely making gakes.

Once they have been softened up with these tactics we then drop the A-bomb on them, stream Bill Maher 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on all their television channels.

Buh-bye, Jesus.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Your constant outrage towards Christians is so curious, because you'll never be seen doing the same towards Muslims. In fact you'll be found defending them! I've not seen Christians come anywhere near the horror Islam perpetrates on a daily basis, so your outrage seems based more on your prejudices than anything. I'm saying this as an agnostic who doesn't believe in any religion.

I think what you've seen is BH pointing out the hypocrisy of Christians hating on Islam, when Christianity's history is every bit as bloody and bigoted.
edit on 5/28/2016 by Klassified because: redundant

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

As an agnostic mostly atheist I highly doubt these horrible Christians torment you daily.

I live in the bible belt and can count 1 time a Christian tried to save me from my sinsurance

Islam will be the global majority soon

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join