It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowflake Language Police Want You To Stop Using The "C" Word

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I can't buy that words are powerless but that's off my main point anyway. The perception fueled by people like the OP, that we're under attack by SJWs and PC police... that there's legions of people flailing around over words has lead us to a very bad place and it's false. Of course there are people who do fit the SJW qualifier in it's new pejorative context but they are hugely outnumbered by the people bitching about them and in most cases incredibly ironic about free speech.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Instead of 'crazy' how about 'nuttier than squirrel sh!t'?

"So come on down to Nuttier Than Squirrel * Eddie's nuttier than squirrel * 4th of July Inventory Clearance Sale. Our prices are so low, it's nuttier than squirrel *!"

Nah, we need something shorter to fit on billboards.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Typical, just deny what's plainly obvious to everyone.

Typical, keep pushing the premise that you have convinced yourself is true.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Good job conforming to the stupidity I just explained.

Of course, there's nothing behind the glib comment. Just a vacant non thinking vessel.

No one on our side ever mentioned a safe space, you guys talk about it all the time.. Your comment is meaningless trash.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Crazy is interchangeable with nuts, the masculinity is deserving for this crazy a$$ biatch.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I can't buy that words are powerless but that's off my main point anyway. The perception fueled by people like the OP, that we're under attack by SJWs and PC police... that there's legions of people flailing around over words has lead us to a very bad place and it's false. Of course there are people who do fit the SJW qualifier in it's new pejorative context but they are hugely outnumbered by the people bitching about them and in most cases incredibly ironic about free speech.

I hear incredibly stupid things quite often. I won't go into examples, because im sure you have your own that you hear that work just fine.

When I hear these incredibly stupid things, I cannot say "That's retarded" without eliciting a gasp. Why? Because people who are not mentally retarded are offended that I would use the word retarded in its appropriate way.

That one word, that one thing, taught me that it isn't the words. Its the meanings that an individual has ascribed to that word. When I say "Thats retarded" people here me saying, "You're retarded".

In fact, now "mentally retarded" isn't really used. Not so much because it wasn't appropriate. It worked fine as a descriptive. It was changed due to people being offended.

If words had real meaning, definitions would not change. At least, not this drastically in such a short time. The meaning of words is fluid, and mostly interpretive based on idividuals.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I think words are powerful tools of manifestation and we should be very careful how use them however that doesn't mean we need to be hyper sensitive 2 year olds.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I hear incredibly stupid things quite often. I won't go into examples, because im sure you have your own that you hear that work just fine.

When I hear these incredibly stupid things, I cannot say "That's retarded" without eliciting a gasp. Why? Because people who are not mentally retarded are offended that I would use the word retarded in its appropriate way.

That one word, that one thing, taught me that it isn't the words. Its the meanings that an individual has ascribed to that word. When I say "Thats retarded" people here me saying, "You're retarded".

In fact, now "mentally retarded" isn't really used. Not so much because it wasn't appropriate. It worked fine as a descriptive. It was changed due to people being offended.

If words had real meaning, definitions would not change. At least, not this drastically in such a short time. The meaning of words is fluid, and mostly interpretive based on idividuals.

Sometimes the meanings of words that change are for the betterment of society, snowflake is a fine example. It was forged by the PC Nazis oppressing the masses with their retarded stupidity.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

When I hear these incredibly stupid things, I cannot say "That's retarded" without eliciting a gasp.

So what? People gasp at you... so what? Why should that stop you? People seem to keep equating people reacting with jail cells. You can still say "That's retarded" to your hearts content.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This word banning is stupid. I opened my dictionary to random set of pages to find words I might ban because someone might get offended:

overlearn - learning something beyond proefficiency = You ban it because not only would someone feel bad because they didn't put in the effort to overlearn when someone you are talking about did, but the person who overlearned might feel you are talking about them in a negative way. Why did you put so much wasted effort into it?

overlook - This should be obvious. It is cruel to overlook anyone. How dare you make them feel so bad?

overlord - someone in a position of extreme power = If this one isn't already banned, it will be soon. How dare anyone presume to be anyone else's overlord. We're all equals these days, right? Plus, it's gendered and insinuates possible religion.

overly - to an excessive degree = In the world of SJW land, no one should do anything excessively.

overman - a person having authority over others, esp. a foreman or overseer = 1.) It is gender inequal. It should be overperson. 2.) But even if that alone would fix it, it should still be banned because overseers had to do with slaves. Therefore, it is clearly a racist word!

overmaster - to overpower or overcome = 1.) It contains that old misogynist word "master" so it's gone just for that. 2.) They compounded the degree of misogyny by adding "over" to it. This word just oozes sexism out every little phonetic pore! Then there is the trouble with the connotations of conflict in the definition. Such an aggressive word should be banned; it might give little boys the wrong ideas about their masculinity.

overmatch - See some of the issue with aggression noted with overmaster. Another aggressive word.

overnutrition - an excessive intake of food = Do I really have to point out how bad this will make our weight challenged friends feel?

overpower and overpowering - See overmatch and overmaster.

overpraise - You cannot praise one person excessively. It makes all the others feel bad.

So I just did one column off one page. 10 words out of 26 that could be banned for silly SJW reasons.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Women's Lib started out for all the Right reasons, but it will end badly. You can only drive a Chevy so far over a cliff before it goes too far. After that ... boom!

This Fem Lib will implode on itself undoing the good they set out to originally do, damaging all in its wrathful path into hell. aka a giant ditch or hole in the ground.

Note.. the snowflake generation aka operation snowflake, is an offshoot of their (PC Libs) organization.
edit on 5/28/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What ban? Stop being so freaking absurd. One person says a word is bad and fifty people scream oppression and act like that one person has the power to legislate language and edit the goddamn dictionary. Put your big girl panties on FFS.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

I told my first wife she was "crazy" once and she tried to kick me in the @%'s

So this is very true, and that was way back in the mid '80's

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Forgive me Tex - but I'm going to blow past the first part of your post - not that it isn't interesting. Language is always interesting - but this isn't about definitions, it's about this:

If im being honest, i see within the OP the natural tendency to be disgusted by weakness. Its not a "right" thing, but it is naturally human. Chickens do it, too. But humans tend to be disgusted by the weak and frail among them. Maybe thats just the primate inside of us?

It is natural - and we all do it. Then we call each other on it - and off we go. Trends - this will all reverse itself eventually

When I hear someone picking on a few isolated cases because they are repulsed by weakness - I don't feel a sense of alarm. When I hear an entire country start to openly attack anyone that they see as weak or different - and then use that as a tool too claim the top of the heap for themselves so that they feel free to unleash the very worst of human nature however and whenever - unopposed?

That's different

The OP is responding to a meme. He was triggered - plain and simple. He used the permission being granted by this meme - and the safety of numbers that it provides - to make it seem as if these few individuals are worthy of our attention - or his fear. Not just annoyance

I read the other day a really great comment out there on the interwebs that I won't be able to find or quote. But more or less: a bully is nothing - it's his admiring crew, egging him on and vicariously enjoying watching someone be bullied that's the real problem

Well, all of this is about to elect their new king - the biggest freaking trigger happy monkey of them all

This is the power of words
edit on 5/28/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: words...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

as a mother of a profoundly handicapped child who is also profoundly retarded (age 23, no speech, total care.) i do not get offended when people use the word, but that's just me. if one of your children has a child born retarded do you think you'll continue to use that word? serious question.

seems lazy and insensitive for an adult to use, imo, but i certainly wouldn't hate you for saying it or anything.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This word banning is stupid.

:-)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Good to see the usual suspects, to call someone crazy because one does not like what one says is childish at best.

Its the easiest way to dismiss someone without trying to understand there point of view.

Ats is the new victim forums, hiding behind a fake name and complaining about every little thing.

Snowflakes crying about snowflakes.

edit on 28-5-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Good to see the usual suspects, to call someone crazy because on does not like what one says is childish at best.

Its the easiest way to dismiss someone without trying to understand there point of view.

Ats is the new victim forums, hiding behind a fake name and complaining about every little thing.

What about the extremely delicate snowflakes who complain about the snowflakes crying about snowflakes?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Good to see the usual suspects, to call someone crazy because on does not like what one says is childish at best.

What about the extremely delicate snowflakes who complain about the snowflakes crying about snowflakes?

Thats all you got lol, I've got a safe spot for sale, i will even give you a deal on it.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Thats all you got lol, I've got a safe spot for sale, i will even give you a deal on it.

Don't need one, you better save them all for yourself to hide from the scary shadow of the Trump wall.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join