It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowflake Language Police Want You To Stop Using The "C" Word

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Typical, just deny what's plainly obvious to everyone.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It's been proven over and over right here on ATS that every generation has their snowflakes. There's just this group of people here that that don't actually care about facts. They would rather get on here nitpick the random blogs, YouTube videos or articles. Then use that as if everyone is the same. These snowflake threads are irrelevant and click bait.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Good think i don't care.

I'm at war with hyper sensitive rich kids with easy lives.

You don't see this bs coming from poor neighborhoods.

awww, i see now, you're jealous! ha!

so is the op, he's voting trump to piss off boys who wear skinny jeans, hysterical!

bunch of whinny boys who didn't get the pretty girls or the good jobs, jealous of those who did, special snowflakes.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Language isn't just sounds... without language our brains wouldn't make several neuro pathways. The OP is criticizing criticism as well as exaggerating one person into all feminists.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

and let's not forget...

(My new favorite gif)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

language is purely sounds. Those sounds may elicit various neurochemical responses....but the sounds are nothing more than just sounds. Had I walked into the middle of a bunch of dinosaurs and began reciting Shakespeare, they would have been utterly unimpressed, mostly because they wouldn't be impressed with the sounds I am making, and would have no idea what my intent/meaning was.

What im getting at here is that words mean nothing without intent. I can use the exact same sentence 10 different ways and change the meaning simply by altering inflection.

I can walk up to someone who I have upset and say the words "Are you angry?" in a concerned tone, and express my remorse. Or I could say the exact same 3 words, but inflect a mocking tone.

The words meaning nothing. Its all intent, which is expressed with communication outside of the words (body language, etc).

Words are just sounds. And us animals love making sounds.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Good think i don't care.

I'm at war with hyper sensitive rich kids with easy lives.

You don't see this bs coming from poor neighborhoods.

what's even more hysterical - you're voting for trump! the epitome of what you hate. good stuff

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

language is purely sounds. Those sounds may elicit various neurochemical responses....but the sounds are nothing more than just sounds. Had I walked into the middle of a bunch of dinosaurs and began reciting Shakespeare, they would have been utterly unimpressed, mostly because they wouldn't be impressed with the sounds I am making, and would have no idea what my intent/meaning was.

What im getting at here is that words mean nothing without intent. I can use the exact same sentence 10 different ways and change the meaning simply by altering inflection.

I can walk up to someone who I have upset and say the words "Are you angry?" in a concerned tone, and express my remorse. Or I could say the exact same 3 words, but inflect a mocking tone.

The words meaning nothing. Its all intent, which is expressed with communication outside of the words (body language, etc).

Words are just sounds. And us animals love making sounds.

I just understood and digested everything that you wrote, without moving my lips, reading out loud or hearing a single sound.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Something not recognised by most is "Beware the power of the weak" and this is a prime example of where its operated.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Your point being ultimately what? That we can't infer anything from written word because we can't hear or see the author? If so doesn't that make the OP even more ridiculous?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
the only thing that can save us is a total collapse of the sytem, then there will be no safe spaces.
they hide behind the rules of the system they manipulated, no system, no protection which means
finaly mother nature can get on with correcting some mistakes.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

He's not offended, he's annoyed by people being offended all the time. Believe it or not, there's a huge difference.

Reacting to stupidity is not the same as being stupid. Likewise, challenging people that are offended by everything and that wants to micromanage everything in the World to cater to their delicate sensibilities is not the same as being offended by everything.

I see this worthless argument all the time, it is without substance.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Your point being ultimately what? That we can't infer anything from written word because we can't hear or see the author? If so doesn't that make the OP even more ridiculous?

My point being that the words aren't what carries meaning. To say that calling something crazy is dismissive of people who are insane seems to be insanity.

Humans aren't computers. We don't develop syntax errors just because the wrong vernacular was used. Humans ARE lateral thinkers that employ heavy metaphors in their day to day thought processes. Add to that people regularly mispeak or use the wrong word, but people around them tend to get what they are saying.

Words change, meaning doesn't. Intent doesn't. In fact, we often lack words to describe things effectively. Like the diference in love between me and my wife, and me and my mom. Those are 2 entirely different things...but we call them both "love" regardless. I mean 2 entirely different things when I use the word love on my wife vs my mother, and they both infer my meaning despite the lack of clarity in the language we use.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Some people love language. They aren't afraid of it, or what it can do

Some people aren't afraid to discuss their experiences or share their experience in this world - their pain. Using words

I understand that for some this is a sign of weakness, and that the beauty and usefulness of language should be reserved for things like asking for more food or describing what's wrong with your fan belt

I also understand that there are people in this world that are so tough, so resilient - so ready and willing to suck it up and carry on that when they do actually feel something they have to use words to write an OP that pretends as if it's not whiney

You don't seem to understand that language isn't just for snowflakes - it's also for a super stealth class of snowflakes that think that every statement made by someone that doesn't behave in a way they approve of is somehow a threat to their freedom of speech - and worthy of bullying

Which, you know - requires words
edit on 5/28/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

well, i suppose in this instance words are just shapes.

The written word, being just that much further removed, is a poor vessel for intent, unless one is well practiced. In training classes across the country, new managers are warned against the pitfalls of using email to communicate delicate things to people. The intent is all too often lost, and misunderstandings abound.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I love it when people are 'uncomfortable' hearing words as though their ears catch fire, they over react to bad words, bad ideas and 'negativity' as though they have been struck with a bat.

They cringe, duck, block their ears, leave the room.

'Disassociation from reality, retreating into their safe childish place to wait out the tempest of badness.

Just words has no meaning anymore. People are intolerant nowadays, having adult conversation with some who never grew up is impossible. Hearing others out without interrupting so they can have their say and their opinion, those days are long gone.

edit on 28-5-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I think the issue is being told what can/should and cannot/should not be said.

Language is a tool of the bourgeoisie. It has common usage that runs the gamut. Take the word "gay". Currently it has 3 meanings that you can find used. 1 of those meanings is offensive, 1 is not, and 1 is seemingly offensive to some people when they equate it to the offensive meaning. But in the end: meaning is perceptive, and quite individualized.

The word "husky" may not bother the average person. To a kid who grew up being called "husky" as a code word for "fat" while in a department store, it may not feel so nice. So should we rename a breed of dog? If i were to suggest that, would it be whining if someone were to have some comments about how stupid of an idea that was?

If im being honest, i see within the OP the natural tendency to be disgusted by weakness. Its not a "right" thing, but it is naturally human. Chickens do it, too.
But humans tend to be disgusted by the weak and frail among them. Maybe thats just the primate inside of us?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

So you guys are using the word snowflake now too? You know, it's not working out for you guys because there is no substance behind it. It simply comes off as unoriginal stupidity.

We all know these people are emotionally fragile and unfit to handle the World around them, not catering to their tantrums and telling them to go f*ck themselves is not being emotionally fragile snowflakes just because you guys say so.

You're like petty children going.. "Well, you guys are special snowflakes too!" Without explaining why or even defending any of these ridiculous positions. "Well, not really.. you're just saying stuff now." - "Nuh-uh!"

Once again, having a problem with emotionally disturbed people is not the same as being emotionally disturbed oneself. The fact that you people are not even reasonable enough to realize this tells me all I need to know, you're not fit enough to construct any type of serious view of the World. And to let such intellectually impaired children into positions of authority is actually a threat to the well being of our civilisation.

"Nuh-uh! Snowflake! Snowflake!"

Ughh...............

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Instead of 'crazy' how about 'nuttier than squirrel sh!t'?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
a reply to: stinkelbaum

So you guys are using the word snowflake now too? You know, it's not working out for you guys because there is no substance behind it. It simply comes off as unoriginal stupidity.

We all know these people are emotionally fragile and unfit to handle the World around them, not catering to their tantrums and telling them to go f*ck themselves is not being emotionally fragile snowflakes just because you guys say so.

You're like petty children going.. "Well, you guys are special snowflakes too!" Without explaining why or even defending any of these ridiculous positions. "Well, not really.. you're just saying stuff now." - "Nuh-uh!"

Once again, having a problem with emotionally disturbed people is not the same as being emotionally disturbed oneself. The fact that you people are not even reasonable enough to realize this tells me all I need to know, you're not fit enough to construct any type of serious view of the World. And to let such intellectually impaired children into positions of authority is actually a threat to the well being of our civilisation.

"Nuh-uh! Snowflake! Snowflake!"

Ughh...............

Need a safe place?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join