It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King Joins Hundreds of Authors in Open Letter Blasting Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

Because, as writers, we are particularly aware of the many ways that language can be abused in the name of power;

Because we believe that any democracy worthy of the name rests on pluralism, welcomes principled disagreement, and achieves consensus through reasoned debate;

Because American history, despite periods of nativism and bigotry, has from the first been a grand experiment in bringing people of different backgrounds together, not pitting them against one another;

Because the history of dictatorship is the history of manipulation and division, demagoguery and lies;

Because the search for justice is predicated on a respect for the truth;

Because we believe that knowledge, experience, flexibility, and historical awareness are indispensable in a leader;

Because neither wealth nor celebrity qualifies anyone to speak for the United States, to lead its military, to maintain its alliances, or to represent its people;

Because the rise of a political candidate who deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society, who encourages aggression among his followers, shouts down opponents, intimidates dissenters, and denigrates women and minorities, demands, from each of us, an immediate and forceful response;

For all these reasons, we, the undersigned, as a matter of conscience, oppose, unequivocally, the candidacy of Donald J. Trump for the Presidency of the United States.

Letter here:
lithub.com...

It has been signed by over 600 US authors so far and growing.

As you might expect from literary circles, they do a great job of articulating the feelings of many Americans regarding Trump.

Interested in opinions from both those in favor of and opposed to Trump's candidacy.

Where does the letter get it right or wrong and why.

+65 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Where were they to articulate the feelings of many Americans regarding Obama? Oh, that's right. They were busy calling us racist.

Not impressed.

They are aware of the uses of language to manipulate and for that reason anything they write is suspect.

Also, we are not a democracy.
edit on 26-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+39 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Awesome! One more jagoff I will refuse to spend money on their product!

I love celebrities who think I give a damn about their opinions!

+16 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Great letter.

It portrays accurately Trump’s nature

I’m proud of the signers and the authors.

Trump is an embarrassment and a disgrace.

+30 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Great letter.

So is Obama for many of the same reasons, but somehow they didn't see that.

+26 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I never understood why celebrities think their opinion means anything about anything.

+3 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Artists, writers, poets and musicians should voice their concerns and opinions. Who better?

The mistake we make is thinking that Politicians and Lawyers are smarter than celebrities. We all, here on ATS, know that's not true.

Good for King and those writers. Also, I don't mind Charlie Daniels and Ted Nugget and any of those peeps voicing opposing opinions. I'm not a big fan of Charlie Daniels, but again, he'll articulate the feelings many American's have better than most Americans, because he is an artist and wordsmith.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Great letter.

So is Obama for many of the same reasons, but somehow they didn't see that.

This is about Trump not Obama.

I’ve criticized Obama just as bad as Trump.

I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt until he started acting like an inhuman fool

+35 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

And where is the diversity and reasoned debate amongst this crowd? The entertainment industry is almost entirely leftist.

I am so tired of these know it all's like these people or George Clooney or any other elites telling us little people how our beliefs are base and bigotted. Of course they think wanting borders to be enforced is base, yet how many immigrants are they moving into their mansions?

This group protested Bush's war's (and I was with them) yet they are silent on the war crimes of obama. They are against divisiveness, yet cheer with Obama is celebrating blm or groups like la raza. They are for open debate, but I have not heard one of them speak up about conservative voices being shut down on campuses or the riots to stop trump from speaking.

I hate these elites, and I think the average person is getting fed up with these smug, self righteous hypocrites.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

That is an excellent letter and I thank you so much for posting it

link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I never understood why celebrities think their opinion means anything about anything.

And I've never understood why politicians think their opinions means anything about anything. Of course, all of us have opinions and they're all worth something. Especially here in the US with our freedom of speech.

+5 more 
link   
a reply to: Willtell

While I agree to some extent, surely you can't think Hillary is any better. Actually she is worse, at-least Trump isn't under FBI investigation while running for president

I agree with ketsuko, but where is the outcry from them towards the proven liar and disgraceful clintons who are no strangers to criminal investigations and questionable conflict of interest , as well?

Where were they to articulate the feelings of many American's regarding Obama? Oh, that's right. They were busy calling us racist.

edit on 44531America/ChicagoThu, 26 May 2016 14:44:45 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

What makes you think I like Hillary?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Where were they to articulate the feelings of many Americans regarding Obama? Oh, that's right. They were busy calling us racist.

Not impressed.

They are aware of the uses of language to manipulate and for that reason anything they write is suspect.

Also, we are not a democracy.

They (or some) were calling people racist who didn;t want Obama to be President because he is Black. I do not think there can be debate that it was the only reason for many.

Obama has done a good job as a President. Statisticallly speaking, the information is all a matter of public record. Some may not like Obama, but he cannot possibly be a disgrace in the same way Trump is.

+3 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

As in...Donald Trump? A terrible businessman who is a television celebrity. Gotcha.

+9 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Because the rise of a political candidate who deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society, who encourages aggression among his followers, shouts down opponents, intimidates dissenters, and denigrates women and minorities, demands, from each of us, an immediate and forceful response;

The above quote sounds like typical leftist these days. Mr. King obviously has not seen the violent leftist protestors at Trump rallies, the shouting down and intimidation of people with differing opinions by leftists on college campuses and other venues, the leftist support and excuse making for radical muslims who are the biggest oppressors of gays and women on the planet.

Nah... it is just Trump.

+21 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

A terrible businessman

He's had 4 failed businesses out of what 100? He's a good businessman. Hate him all you want, but give credit where it's due.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

a reply to: interupt42

What makes you think I like Hillary?

The question and point still remains. Why haven't they come out against her?

I don't like trump but its ridiculous how biased Hollywood is and narrow minded they are. Enough so that they overlook their own party affiliation crap.

IMO I think Bernie is the best of the 3 bozo. However if he turns around and endorses Hillary than he is no better than the rest.

+14 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
UPDATE: millions of Americans don't care

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Where were they to articulate the feelings of many Americans regarding Obama?

You are on the wrong thread ... and time...This is not about Obama and it's not 2008 or 2012..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join